Sign in to follow this  
Kojak

Opening ceremony

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I thought it was average at best. 5 out of 10. Further, with respect to reaction in other countries, having spoken to friends as well as reading newspapers, it appears most not only didn''t understand what was occurring but, for the most part, found great difficulty seeing how it related to the Olympic Games. Quite frankly, I could understand their reaction.

[/quote]

Well, I''m proud to be part of a nation that could put forward a director with the vision to communicate Britain''s past without feeling obliged to dumb the cultural references down in case people from other countries "didn''t get it". 

Don''t get me wrong, it would easily have been as good if they had rolled out a hundred red buses, got some dancing people in bowler hats and umbrellas reading the Financial Times, had a Winston Churchill speech, a parade of bulldogs, some dancers dressed as giant tea bags all jumping into a giant teapot (labelled "Multiculturalism"), a section where Margaret Thatcher hits some "lefties" with her handbag and then disembowels our manufacturing industry, Dire Straits and Sting doing a duet on top of a fleet of Austin Metros, Lenny Henry doing that "hilarious jungle" doctor routine with support from Jethro and Jim Davidson, and finally Tracy Barlow from Corrie being launched into the air to light the olympic torch on top of Big Ben.  Your friends would have got that, I guess.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Those of you having ago at Macca,  name me one person who could write and then perform 46 years later such a universal song and inspire millions of people all round the world to sing along to a song with the immortal words - naa, naa, naa, na-na-na, naa ??  

[/quote]

To be fair, he only wrote it once.

Apparently Paul McCartney was the first UK Musician to play a gig in Tel Aviv.  He opened the show with "Hey Jew".

I understand that a couple of the redtops are currently referring to the Queen as The New Bond Girl.

Now, I wonder if this is  a passing fad or whether they will make it stick one way or the other?

OTBC

The reactions I''ve seen, heard and read about in Houston are all verey positive. It was a fun, clever, and exciting reminder to the world about the huge influence and contributions Britain had and has on the world in all sorts of significant areas.

Personally, I prefer Macca performing at the opening to any other Beatle. Of course, the only other one left is Ringo, and I doubt his du-du-DUH du-du-DUH drum beat would have has near the impact of Hey Jude.  As for the joke about the Beatles performing in Israel, did you know American President Abe Lincoln was Jewish?  He got shot in the temple. Ba-da-BOOM!

What bothered me is how offended people got at Mitt Romney saying what EVERYONE ELSE was saying about it being a shame security was not up to expectations.

Brazil has its work cut out for competing with the openings of these past 2 Summer Games. I''m betting they feature lots of scantily clad Mardi Gras parade babes to make everyone forget about everything else. Did I say "betting"?  I meant "hoping".

I thought the Open Ceremony was brilliant and an absolute credit to Danny Boyle and you all should feel immensly proud today. For me it had everything that was great about the UK.  

Everybody I have spoken to over the past couple of days have stated how much they liked it. Everything from Brunel to Bean and Beckham. Only the best could meld all that history,inspiration with satire and come up with the triumph we witnessed.

Yankee Canary, giving that 5/10 is a disgrace and would suggest that you also didn''t understand most of it. I am a born and bred Australian but my paternal grandfather was British (from Northampton) and I spent three fantastic years living in Norwich in the early 90''s and after witnessing that spectacular Opening Ceremony I was even filled with a sense of pride. I was also chuffed to see that my maternal grandmother''s home country of Scotland(Fife) was represented.

IMO, anybody that didn''t find that enjoyable is kidding themselves.

I would like to say congratulations to you all it was fantastic and you should all be proud and enjoy the next two weeks I wish I was there to share in the excitement. 

I thought it was slick and well put together....no real hitches (except what happened at the start of Hey Jude?)  I had no problems with the subject matter (not sure about the NHS thing but didn''t mind)

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

I thought the Open Ceremony was brilliant and an absolute credit to Danny Boyle and you all should feel immensly proud today. For me it had everything that was great about the UK.  

Everybody I have spoken to over the past couple of days have stated how much they liked it. Everything from Brunel to Bean and Beckham. Only the best could meld all that history,inspiration with satire and come up with the triumph we witnessed.

Yankee Canary, giving that 5/10 is a disgrace and would suggest that you also didn''t understand most of it. I am a born and bred Australian but my paternal grandfather was British (from Northampton) and I spent three fantastic years living in Norwich in the early 90''s and after witnessing that spectacular Opening Ceremony I was even filled with a sense of pride. I was also chuffed to see that my maternal grandmother''s home country of Scotland(Fife) was represented.

I would like to say congratulations to you all it was fantastic and you should all be proud and enjoy the next two weeks I wish I was there to share in the excitement. 

[/quote]

To be fair to YC the American network,NBC,put out an edited version of the event,including missing out the memorial dance to 7/7,so this may have spoiled the flow of it.

Either that or he is really hard to please[:P]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

The reactions I''ve seen, heard and read about in Houston are all verey positive. It was a fun, clever, and exciting reminder to the world about the huge influence and contributions Britain had and has on the world in all sorts of significant areas.

Personally, I prefer Macca performing at the opening to any other Beatle. Of course, the only other one left is Ringo, and I doubt his du-du-DUH du-du-DUH drum beat would have has near the impact of Hey Jude.  As for the joke about the Beatles performing in Israel, did you know American President Abe Lincoln was Jewish?  He got shot in the temple. Ba-da-BOOM!

What bothered me is how offended people got at Mitt Romney saying what EVERYONE ELSE was saying about it being a shame security was not up to expectations.

Brazil has its work cut out for competing with the openings of these past 2 Summer Games. I''m betting they feature lots of scantily clad Mardi Gras parade babes to make everyone forget about everything else. Did I say "betting"?  I meant "hoping".

[/quote]

Romney was a guest to this country and potential American President. He should have kept his mouth shut but instead has caused enormous offence and made himself look a plonker especially when he called the useless Ed Milliband ''Mr Leader''.   

I don''t know anything about the Millibander affair because I don''t know who he is, and I guess neither does Romney or pretty much anyone else over here.  I also don''t know why our politicians feel the need to campaign in foreign countries.

Is that the rule, visitors to England must keep their mouths shut?  Exactly what offence did he cause when he mentioned the elephant in the room, that being the shockingly bad job done by the company paid huge money to provide security for the games, especially in these days of opportunistic terroism?

Mr. Moy, who was actually offended and not just pretending to be to put on a show of misplaced pride?  What did he say that hasn''t already been said by others?  Heck, he was the one who pulled the SLC Winter Games out of the fire and made it a success, so he does have some qualifications.

The opening ceremonies were awesome, but pushing applicants through the training with 20 minute sessions on how to use X-ray and letting them retake failed tests until they pass it is not a shining moment for GB.  Is unemployment really that low that the company couldn''t find enough people to hire for this project?  If your offended by what he said about the preparation for the games, you should be more offended by the actual situation.  However, I think nobody is really offended, they just want to pretend to be so they can bash a somewhat conservative American no matter what he says. Maybe I''m wrong.

I don''t know anything about the Millibander affair because I don''t know who he is, and I guess neither does Romney or pretty much anyone else over here.  I also don''t know why our politicians feel the need to campaign in foreign countries.

Is that the rule, visitors to England must keep their mouths shut?  Exactly what offence did he cause when he mentioned the elephant in the room, that being the shockingly bad job done by the company paid huge money to provide security for the games, especially in these days of opportunistic terroism?

Mr. Moy, who was actually offended and not just pretending to be to put on a show of misplaced pride?  What did he say that hasn''t already been said by others?  Heck, he was the one who pulled the SLC Winter Games out of the fire and made it a success, so he does have some qualifications.

The opening ceremonies were awesome, but pushing applicants through the training with 20 minute sessions on how to use X-ray and letting them retake failed tests until they pass it is not a shining moment for GB.  Is unemployment really that low that the company couldn''t find enough people to hire for this project?  If your offended by what he said about the preparation for the games, you should be more offended by the actual situation.  However, I think nobody is really offended, they just want to pretend to be so they can bash a somewhat conservative American no matter what he says. Maybe I''m wrong.

[/quote]

Nice to see you back, Houston. At a tangent (OK, quite a big tangent) I see Professor Richard Muller, who was THE US climate change sceptic, has now admitted (as a result of his own research that he assumed would prove him right) that he was actually totally wrong. He now admits that not has the world markedly warmed up but that "humans are almost entirely the cause". I''d start stocking up with sandbags if I were you...

I thought it was average at best. 5 out of 10. Further, with respect to reaction in other countries, having spoken to friends as well as reading newspapers, it appears most not only didn''t understand what was occurring but, for the most part, found great difficulty seeing how it related to the Olympic Games. Quite frankly, I could understand their reaction.

[/quote]

It lasted more than 30 seconds, thats why they couldn''t understand it!

Lol!

Enjoy Obama!

Nice to see you back, Houston. At a tangent (OK, quite a big tangent) I see Professor Richard Muller, who was THE US climate change sceptic, has now admitted (as a result of his own research that he assumed would prove him right) that he was actually totally wrong. He now admits that not has the world markedly warmed up but that "humans are almost entirely the cause". I''d start stocking up with sandbags if I were you..

Oh no! You know how this ended last time!

Ha ha, classic! Can''t answer so change the subject, but not to this dead horse.

WoS, you''re the one who needs to be stocking up on sandbags. Did Muller also say the oceans were going to rise 20 feet or just a few inches?

Even the UN lowered it estmates of the effects. There are plenty of qualified realists who say human effect on the temperature is minimal at most.

I missed the part of the ceremony where studying GW was something GB is proud to contribute to the world. Hey, I''m on topic!

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

[/quote]
Im glad you enjoyed it mate, but it''s a bit stupid to try and tell people what they do and don''t enjoy. I thought overall it was a good effort and pretty entertaining, but I HATE Mr Bean with a passion - I understand it, and his place in British culture but the humour is completely not my thing, at all - should I have enjoyed that bit just because you did? Is it a disgrace I would give that segment 3/10? No, it''s my opinion and I''m entitled to it, just as Yankee is to his, and you are to yours. People don''t all enjoy the same thing, and to take issue with people who didn''t enjoy the opening ceremony is bizarre. A lot of it did require a knowledge of British culture, but just because someone didn''t like it, doesn''t mean they didn''t understand it.

I''m sorry Houston, although I feel sure that you make some valid points on here, I can''t read your messages through fear that you will use words such as "Heck ..." and "awesome...", without prior warning, which just make me cringe and want to vomit. I know that this reflects badly upon me but (''heck'' I suppose you would interject here) I just can''t help it. I thought I should let you know this although in the interests of fairness and to avoid being arrested for sending a malicious message or harrassment or, dare I add, racism or hate crime, I experience a similar reaction to English (or, for that matter, English speaking Welsh, Scottish or Irish people) using words or phrases such as "delivering the olympics or services" or "inappropriate" at any and every opportunity and, even now, I still feel bilious when I hear the word "engage". The list is pretty much endless but I should probably leave it at that.

[/quote]

So if a British politician went to the US as a guest of the US government and spouted off about their failings of which I can think of quite a few but am keeping a diplomatic silence, would the Americans not take offence ? Of course you lot would and rightly so because it''s none of his business.  

That sort of thing has happened before, and the main reaction is usually mostly, "Oh my gosh, can he be right? Let''s take another look at this."

Romney is not one to lie for the sake of saving feelings. Did he say something inaccurate about the Olympic security? Riddle me that, Mr. Moy.

That sort of thing has happened before, and the main reaction is usually mostly, "Oh my gosh, can he be right? Let''s take another look at this."

Romney is not one to lie for the sake of saving feelings. Did he say something inaccurate about the Olympic security? Riddle me that, Mr. Moy.

[/quote]

He was probably accurate but failed considerably in the diplomatic stakes so will make an amazing President.

Romney is not one to lie for the sake of saving feelings.

[/quote]

Really? He claimed the per capita GDP of Israelis is $21,000 and for Palestinians $10,000. Which a moment''s thought would tell anyone with even only a quarter-brain is absurd. The figures couldn''t possibly be that close. And the true figures are $30,000 and $1,500.

Avoiding the issues doesn''t accomplish anything, Moy. Speaking your mind does. Did he say anything good, or did that get overlooked because it''s more interesting to be upset? I said the ceremonies were great, but you seemed to have overlooked that.

PC, he got dumped on for supposedly racist comments by mentioning the income disparity. I seriously doubt he purposely lied about the numbers. Likely he used figures given to him. Who''s to say his sources are any less accurate than yours? His point was, I think, that how a place is run affects success. You could make the same point about Peru vs Chile.

Avoiding the issues doesn''t accomplish anything, Moy. Speaking your mind does. Did he say anything good, or did that get overlooked because it''s more interesting to be upset? I said the ceremonies were great, but you seemed to have overlooked that.

PC, he got dumped on for supposedly racist comments by mentioning the income disparity. I seriously doubt he purposely lied about the numbers. Likely he used figures given to him. Who''s to say his sources are any less accurate than yours? His point was, I think, that how a place is run affects success. You could make the same point about Peru vs Chile.

[/quote]

Well, he''s avoiding the issue on his tax avoidance by withholding details. If he''s so open and honest why is he doing that ?  Sounds like you''re a hypocrite to me, Houston in backing his open ''honesty'' in one area as we are an easy target, while ignoring the lack of openness in really key areas about this guy.   

[/quote]

Well, my source is the World Bank. Which is as authoritative as you can get. As to the disparity he was pointing up between Israel and Palestine, he seeemed totally oblivious of the fact - and it is a fact agreed by everyone, including your State Department - that Israel has mounted an increasingly tough economic blockade/stranglehold on the Palestinians, while Israel has benefited from billions of dollars of "loans" from the US. The Israeli economy doesn''t have to fend for itself. Romney''s comparison was absurd (on a par with Palin claiming she could see Russia from her front lawn). As he would have known if he''d stepped out of his Israeli fund-raising bubble and visited the West bank or Gaza.

If Romney had only commented on the security it wouldn''t have been a big deal - although scored low on PR points scale (he could have just said everything looks great, I''m looking forward to it). The fact he said that the people of London and Britain as a whole weren''t ready or prepared to ''come together and celebrate the moment''. That is a stupid thing to say and shows he is not a statesman.It just plays into the fact that Romney''s PR people don''t let him speak to media alone and he has to be very carefully managed - the guy is obviously prone to massive ''foot-in-mouth moments'' and generally comes along as detached from the public. This is something that Obama doesn''t suffer from and the wave of good feeling he generated in Europe and other areas outside of America undoubtedly contributed to his election success - many American''s were tired of being embarrassed of their head of state.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]If Romney had only commented on the security it wouldn''t have been a big deal - although scored low on PR points scale (he could have just said everything looks great, I''m looking forward to it). The fact he said that the people of London and Britain as a whole weren''t ready or prepared to ''come together and celebrate the moment''. That is a stupid thing to say and shows he is not a statesman.

It just plays into the fact that Romney''s PR people don''t let him speak to media alone and he has to be very carefully managed - the guy is obviously prone to massive ''foot-in-mouth moments'' and generally comes along as detached from the public. This is something that Obama doesn''t suffer from and the wave of good feeling he generated in Europe and other areas outside of America undoubtedly contributed to his election success - many American''s were tired of being embarrassed of their head of state.
[/quote]

That''s just plain wrong Bethnal. Romney went through a long, long debating process before becoming the Republican candidate and, compared to all other candidates, he did an admirable job of dealing with attacks and staying on message. The newshounds are following him everywhere like papparazi just hoping beyond hope they can get him to make a big mistake. Whatever the reasons are for Obama''s ( I speak well with teleprompters ) popularity outside of the USA don''t be confused into believing he enjoys any such popularity here at the grass roots level of inside people''s homes. The liberal media are doing all they can to keep Obama in the game with more distorted polls than there are mosqitoes in a wet season. Come November, we almost certainly will have President Romney ready and waiting to take office. Believe what you want in the interim but watch how the American people vote when the polls are open.

Romney went through a long, long debating process before becoming the Republican candidate and, compared to all other candidates, he did an admirable job of dealing with attacks and staying on message. The newshounds are following him everywhere like papparazi just hoping beyond hope they can get him to make a big mistake. Whatever the reasons are for Obama''s ( I speak well with teleprompters ) popularity outside of the USA don''t be confused into believing he enjoys any such popularity here at the grass roots level of inside people''s homes. The liberal media are doing all they can to keep Obama in the game with more distorted polls than there are mosqitoes in a wet season. Come November, we almost certainly will have President Romney ready and waiting to take office. Believe what you want in the interim but watch how the American people vote when the polls are open.

[/quote]
Absolute bull Yankee. That may be the case within the circles you mix with, but he is plenty popular with a lot of people in the circles me and my American pals mix with. That''s like saying everyone in the USA is a Christian based on a survey you took in church. I''m not saying he enjoys universal popularity, but the inference he is universally unpopular in the USA is erroneous in the extreme.
Blaming the media is weak, as is saying they are distorting independently conducted polls by partisan, professional polling organisations. If these organisations, who make their living by being neutral, were actually consistently bias, they wouldn''t exist for very long. The fact of the matter is the conservatives can blame the media all they like, but in reality, Romney just isn''t that popular for a million and one reasons, and the media argument is nothing more than a smokescreen attempting to mask the GOP''s unelectable candidate.
Obama is certainly not perfect, and he hasn''t turned out to be all that most people hoped for, but he is a hell of a lot better than the other name that will be on those slips in November in my opinion. 
It is my opinion that it is almost certain that Romney will be preparing for nothing more than a concessionary address and congratulating President Obama on a second term of office, as you say we will see come November, but I hope to god I''m right, otherwise, the non-Jewish population of the entire Middle East will be in dire straits and a lot of blood will be shed in the process.

I reckon Mitt Romney was hired by Lord Coe to say all that stuff. The English media have been slating the games and our country''s preparations for them for 7 years. They slagged off the ticketing policy, slammed the security arrangements and gave a general feeling that they and the British public didn''t give a hoot about the games...

But then in comes Romney and says EXACTLY THE SAME THINGS! Only Ronny is a furriner, and a Yank to boot (who we all know are stoopit). Then the hysteria begins, the British people take offence and now we''re all watching fencing and handball and weightlifting, cheering on ''our boys'' (and girls, as long as they''re fit or in with a chance of winning something) and generally feeling proud of what this great nation has achieved.

''That Yankee Doodle Dude said it couldn''t be done, but by jingo we done it good and proper what what pip pip! Now, where''s the MacDonalds...''

Brilliant.

Incidentally, back on topic, I thought the opening ceremony was out of this world, 10/10 for me. Would have been better without the BBC commentary plonkers, but by the sound of it, America got it worse on that front.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Romney went through a long, long debating process before becoming the Republican candidate and, compared to all other candidates, he did an admirable job of dealing with attacks and staying on message. The newshounds are following him everywhere like papparazi just hoping beyond hope they can get him to make a big mistake. Whatever the reasons are for Obama''s ( I speak well with teleprompters ) popularity outside of the USA don''t be confused into believing he enjoys any such popularity here at the grass roots level of inside people''s homes. The liberal media are doing all they can to keep Obama in the game with more distorted polls than there are mosqitoes in a wet season. Come November, we almost certainly will have President Romney ready and waiting to take office. Believe what you want in the interim but watch how the American people vote when the polls are open.

[/quote]

Absolute bull Yankee. That may be the case within the circles you mix with, but he is plenty popular with a lot of people in the circles me and my American pals mix with. That''s like saying everyone in the USA is a Christian based on a survey you took in church. I''m not saying he enjoys universal popularity, but the inference he is universally unpopular in the USA is erroneous in the extreme.

Blaming the media is weak, as is saying they are distorting independently conducted polls by partisan, professional polling organisations. If these organisations, who make their living by being neutral, were actually consistently bias, they wouldn''t exist for very long. The fact of the matter is the conservatives can blame the media all they like, but in reality, Romney just isn''t that popular for a million and one reasons, and the media argument is nothing more than a smokescreen attempting to mask the GOP''s unelectable candidate.

Obama is certainly not perfect, and he hasn''t turned out to be all that most people hoped for, but he is a hell of a lot better than the other name that will be on those slips in November in my opinion. 

It is my opinion that it is almost certain that Romney will be preparing for nothing more than a concessionary address and congratulating President Obama on a second term of office, as you say we will see come November, but I hope to god I''m right, otherwise, the non-Jewish population of the entire Middle East will be in dire straits and a lot of blood will be shed in the process.

[/quote]

kick it off, the reason you were doing so much better earlier when you defended me for simply stating my opinion on the opening ceremonies was because you expressed what you had to say in a cool, objective manner.

Now, on this latest input you lose all such objectivity and allow your emotions to influence your input by claiming what I say is absolute bull. If you read again what I responded to Bethnal with and then think about it ( for a second or two ) you will see that I refute Bethnal''s input ( regarding Romney having a foot in the mouth problem every time he speaks ) with the fact that Romney demonstrated exactly the opposite in a very long campaign for the Republican leadership, and certainly far better than any other candidate. You then say I infer that Obama is universally unpopular inside the USA. I inferred no such thing. I said he does not enjoy the popularity here that he apparently does outside our country. The major respected polls currently have a very close situation between the two candidates. However, on a daily basis the liberal news media are constantly citing more random and less respected random polls based upon questions skewed in favour of Obama. All of what I just stated are facts, not bull. Now moving away from that, to my opinion, I clearly want a change in government. We simply cannot afford what this President has undertaken. During his first term in office he is spending more than $40,000 of every single second that goes by than the government generates in income. This is not only my children''s future being mortgaged, but my grandchildren''s also. If he was the leader of any major corporation he would have been fired well before now on that one fact alone. 

In closing, a couple of thoughts for you. I am always surprised at  the obsession that many seem to have with American poitics. I was born and grew up in England but, while I cast an occasional glance at various columns on the British scene, frankly it does not go beyond that. Why should it? I don''t vote in your country and I don''t have to pay taxes based upon the choices you make.

Finally, with respect to your concerns about the loss of non-Jewish blood in the middle east. Blood is blood, whether it''s Jewish or otherwise. The region is obviously affected by outside influences by the amount of oil it sits on. However, quite apart from that, if you want a good history lesson on the tribal differences that exists in the region then may I suggest you read "Seven Pillars Of Wisdom" by your very own T.E. Lawrence.