Sign in to follow this  
calriv

"Celtic sign Vaughan on season-long loan"

Just seen this:

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_

Celtic have signed Norwich''s James Vaughan on loan for the season

Really? He''s been our best striker in pre-season so far. Fourth Official is usually quite reliable, but I hope this isn''t true.

There were rumours, but... don''t know if it''s actually happened. Fuck. What the hell. I felt we actually rather needed him :|

I would be shocked if true as he seems a bright prospect in pre season and is virtually a new signing. If he has gone  then it would have to herald a new striker coming in but i still doubt this story is true

Alarm. Alarm. Slightly peeved post alert. Call in the City 1st Thought Police.

I''ve never seen anyone abuse Vaughan. Majority of posts I''ve seen have said he''d be like a new signing when he comes back from injury and that he''s a class player. Where did you get that from?

Would be dissapointed tbh, but surely means another striker is lined up if true.

A season in SPL may just be what Vaughan''s career needs, a season to build his fitness up and smash in endless goals to give him some confidence to come back and show his true potential.

In my opinion, if Vaughany goes out on loan it can only mean we have a striker on the way in who is a nailed on starter. Perhaps the big name that many seem to think we need.

Disappointed not to get to see him show us what he can do, never seen a player so desperate to do well, and he was showing signs of delivering just that, but Hughton knows what he is doing.

Good luck James, go get yourself 30+ up there and come back next year and set the Prem on fire.

I wouldn''t believe anything you read on twitter... If it hasn''t come from a reliable source (club, player) then it''s just the usual 1+1 = 5 scenario.

Dunno. Charlie Wyett is usually correct on things NCFC. See his tweet?

Charlie Wyett ‏@CharlieWyett

@NYCanaries think Vaughan is off but not celtic

I would be very suprised if this is true.  He''s on fire at the moment.  If it is true though I would expect us to have a striker lined up.

Gutted about this, as like others have said he would have been like a new signing, and potentially could be our most successful forward this season if he keeps free of injuries.

I read somewhere he''d love to join Celtic (probably written by a Celtic fan) as he would be guaranteed winning trophies every season + Champions league every season.

He''ll be short odds to be SPL (Semi Pro League?) top scorer too if he stays fit all season.

If this happens i''m hoping we have someone very special lined up to replace him.

[quote user="calriv"]Just seen this:

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_

Celtic have signed Norwich''s James Vaughan on loan for the season

Really? He''s been our best striker in pre-season so far. Fourth Official is usually quite reliable, but I hope this isn''t true.[/quote]

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_ Seems one of the more accurate sources on twitter, but until it''s officially announced....

Be surprised if we get rid of one of the few strikers we have,.

Either way my lad is pretty ticked off as he just got Vaughn''s name on the back of his new shirt.[8o|]

[quote user="ricardo"]if true then totally mindless decision by Hughton.

[/quote]

agree with Ricardo...my confidence in CH would deteriorate if true...

You can''t be serious? Vaughan better than Rhodes? Maybe a Vaughan without the fitness issues, but sad to say, the guy is one big sicknote. Does just well enough to excite everyone in preseason and then tweaks a knee and spends the rest of the year on a trainers table. Multiple years in a row!

Rhodes hasn''t played in the PREMIER league yet, nor has he played a lot in the second tier... So I think it''s quite serious...

I know we have forged a friendship with Celtic, perhaps some more money spinning friendlies lined up or Celtic are paying a huge loan fee, if not, what a sh*te signing, first season injured, second season loaned out!!! What is his contract length!!

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]You can''t be serious? Vaughan better than Rhodes? Maybe a Vaughan without the fitness issues, but sad to say, the guy is one big sicknote. Does just well enough to excite everyone in preseason and then tweaks a knee and spends the rest of the year on a trainers table. Multiple years in a row![/quote]
Not true at all New York, he was fit for most of the 2010/11 year while on loan at palace i believe, or another championship club. He could well be over the worst of his injuries and if that is true i am sure he would be a great prem player. This boy was suppose to be the next Rooney when he came through the ranks, in fact if you remember back to when he made his prem debut, a lot of people at Everton were calling him better than Rooney. Now, although injuries will have prevented him from ever reaching that level, he is still a good prospect for this coming season.
Anyway, i think he offers a lot more than Martin and Jackson and unless we have one quality pacey forward already signed then this move would make me very nervous for the coming season. That''s another point, we shouldn''t be selling players unless replacements have already been signed, there is no such thing as a done deal in football and if other clubs see us lacking in the forward department they could probably charge us more for their player with the knowledge that we are desperate for one.

IF this is true the only way you can assess it - and all our transfer dealings in and out - at the earliest is 3pm on August 18, and more probably midnight on August 31 or whenever the window shuts.

i guess we''ll find out when the teams are announced tonight.  seems like a strange one, though i''d imagine if he *is* going somewhere on loan that it''ll involve another striker moving in the opposite direction.  I guess if CH has his heart set on Rhodes/Hooper (the two most likely candidates, unless anyone can think of anyone else), and their club has asked for Vaughan on loan to sweeten the deal it would be tempting for CH given JV''s injury record - he''d feel like a chump if he missed out on his number one target and then Vaughan ended up on the treatment table for most of the season. 

either way, i hope we can get all the ins and outs sorted as quickly as possible.  Do Celtic/Hudds have friendlies tonight?  Might be a clue there...

to answer my own question, Celtic and Huddersfield both play tomorrow (Celtic''s is a European fixture).

I agree he offers more than Martin or Jackson. But he has had major injuries over multiple years in his career.

2005-2006 Missed 3/4 of the season (Knee Ligament)

2007-2008 Missed Three Months (Dislocated shoulder)

2009-2010 Out 4 months (Knee Cartilage)

2011-2012 Out 4+ Months (Knee)

Hi might be fit now, but if he is part of a swap I wouldn''t mind. He''s a nice guy on Twitter and I wish him the best if he goes, but lets be realistic here. He was our highest paid player once we signed him from Everton and pretty much crapped the bed since arriving.