Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Whose for the Drop?

With 4 weeks to go before kickoff, it''s becoming clearer which teams are spending the money.

I know there''s a long way to go, but it is interesting so see who the early prophets are?

So.... whose for the drop this season?

My prediction: Wigan, WestBrom & Swansea

(it was a toss up between Swansea & Southampton)

"Us if we don''t get some more strength in the squad!"

yep, because we really struggled last season and the players can only have got worse in these last couple of months or so

[quote user="City1st"]

yep, because we really struggled last season and the players can only have got worse in these last couple of months or so

[/quote]

I couldn’t have said it better myself... Some people need to realise we are a Premiership team with Premiership players who came 12th in the Premiership last season...

I''m not saying its going to be easy, but CH will strengthen the squad where necessary and the foundations are there for a really successful 2012/13 season...

OTBC

I''m certainly not as confident as the two posts above!

The Lambert touch, in my humble opinion, will be hugely missed. I trust Hughton to do a good job but Lambert was something extra special and without him I fear that the true quality of our players may be exposed. I don''t think we will truly appreciate how gifted Lambert and Culverhouse were until we play matches without them on the sidelines.

Vulnerable teams for me are Wigan, West Brom, Swansea, the 3 promoted sides and us.

It will all depend on how well new bosses at NCFC, SCFC and WBA perform and exactly how strong West Ham, Reading and Southampton will be despite their big spending.

[quote user="H4H"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

I couldn’t have said it better myself... Some people need to realise we are a Premiership team with Premiership players who came 12th in the Premiership last season...

I''m not saying its going to be easy, but CH will strengthen the squad where necessary and the foundations are there for a really successful 2012/13 season...

OTBC

[/quote]

Last season we did not lose to any of the 3 sides relegated, picking up 12 points which went a long way to finishing 12th. I think there are alot of people who think this year such a return will be very much harder with stronger teams being relegated than last year. No, our team isnt weaker than last year (maybe at LB I dont know) and midfield is actually considerably stronger than this time last year with the very impressive Howson and potentially an exciting prospect in butterfield, but there are probably 9-10 teams who should worry about survival next term and we are one of them. Slating people who recognise this says more about you than them in my humble opinion.

For the record, looking at the teams currently I would agree with the original poster and go for Wigan (20th) West Brom (19th) Swansea (18th) but other than Wigan, is really difficult to pick. (City to finish above QPR in 16th who dispite spending big wont get a team to gel or play for each other).

I think it''ll be anyone from this lot...11 in total.

Aston Villa

Norwich

QPR

Reading

Southampton

Stoke

Sunderland

Swansea

West Brom

West Ham

Wigan

...maybe Sunderland and Stoke can be taken out, but I really think it''ll be this open.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

I''m certainly not as confident as the two posts above!

The Lambert touch, in my humble opinion, will be hugely missed. I trust Hughton to do a good job but Lambert was something extra special and without him I fear that the true quality of our players may be exposed. I don''t think we will truly appreciate how gifted Lambert and Culverhouse were until we play matches without them on the sidelines.

Vulnerable teams for me are Wigan, West Brom, Swansea, the 3 promoted sides and us.

It will all depend on how well new bosses at NCFC, SCFC and WBA perform and exactly how strong West Ham, Reading and Southampton will be despite their big spending.

[/quote]

That in bold [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] Same players, new manager - completely different ballpark.

I would agree but would not discount Sunderland relegation form once O`Neill factor wore off and Stoke should be demoted by the Prem League for the non football they play a disgrace to the best league in the world.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I think it''ll be anyone from this lot...11 in total. Aston Villa Norwich QPR Reading Southampton Stoke Sunderland Swansea West Brom West Ham Wigan ...maybe Sunderland and Stoke can be taken out, but I really think it''ll be this open.[/quote]

I think QPR will be well safe. Mark Hughes is a quality manager who now has his feet under the table and has put together a highly talented and experienced squad.

Sunderland under O''Neill and Villa with a (probably) fit Bent and Lambert will be well clear too in my eyes.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="H4H"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Last season we did not lose to any of the 3 sides relegated, picking up 12 points which went a long way to finishing 12th. I think there are alot of people who think this year such a return will be very much harder with stronger teams being relegated than last year. No, our team isnt weaker than last year (maybe at LB I dont know) and midfield is actually considerably stronger than this time last year with the very impressive Howson and potentially an exciting prospect in butterfield, but there are probably 9-10 teams who should worry about survival next term and we are one of them. Slating people who recognise this says more about you than them in my humble opinion.

For the record, looking at the teams currently I would agree with the original poster and go for Wigan (20th) West Brom (19th) Swansea (18th) but other than Wigan, is really difficult to pick. (City to finish above QPR in 16th who dispite spending big wont get a team to gel or play for each other).

[/quote]

I dont think anyone is slating anyone else... Its just the negativity of some NCFC fans at times is completely unfounded...

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="H4H"][quote user="City1st"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]We lost to Blackburn :p It''s impossible to say at this stage, I mean, last year there were 4 woeful teams in QPR, Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn, but at the start of last year nobody had Blackburn and Bolton as odds on relegation fodder. I personally think we''ll be ok, although I think it will be tougher than last year as Reading and Southampton play some good stuff and should be safe, I think West Ham will struggle, I also think Stoke look like a really weak ageing team and perhaps WBA although I think they have just about enough to stay up.

"Slating people who recognise this says more about you than them in my humble opinion"

or those consisting slating the team/squad tells you an awful lot about them, more so when you see that is their sole occupation on here

at this stage it is all idle speculation, as none of usknow what other influences will come to bear as the season progresses - player injuries, internal problems, manager moving elsewhere so i think there is quite a bit of justification for questioning the motivations of those constantly slating the club, mostly on ludicrous arguments

if they feel so strongly then they can easily put their money where their mouth is, I have and have enjoyed a very profitable three seasons

money taken from those who were certain in their belief that we would fail, so get the whingers and whiners down to the bookies or on betfair as soon as possible - assuming they have the integrity to back their doomongering

pete - I dont think the Martin O''Neil factor does wear off. Much like Lambert he has left his posts with teams playing well or on the up.

Ellis206 - Damn, thats countless sessions of hypnotheripy wasted, had managed to forget the 0-2 loss to blackburn, thanks for the reminder! ooopps., thrust of the arguement still stands however, I can see this years relegation battle being one of the closest possibly with all 3 places decided on the final day, now there is a prediction!.

H4H - I dont agree with those that think without further team investment we will finish in the bottom 3, and have already stated as much with my predictions, but I would defend those who happen to have those concerns or views without the assumption that they are therefore anti-City or some sort of disease to the club and this is the place to express such thoughts. Not saying this applies to you inparticular and maybe should not of quoted you with the responce but there is a persecution of those more pessimistic fans around here.

It''s amazing how many people still think spending big money is only a recipe for success.

It didn''t do QPR much good last year.

"those that think without further team investment .................. but I would defend those who happen to have those concerns or views without the assumption that they are therefore anti-City or some sort of disease to the club and this is the place to express such thoughts"

As there are over 6 weeks still remaining for us to sign players (team investment) then why make sure an absurd presumption ?

When those are the only views they have and are backed as above then yes it is anti City

Again making up stuff and replying to that rather than what was said, as no one has said this is not the place to ''express those thoughts'' . Just as it is the place to expose those thoughts for the groundless twaddle they are.

This time last year the same types were cluttering up this board with their constant bleats about us not having premier League experienced players THEREFORE we were doomed to failure. The manager and squad have been spending some time traing and working together. I would expect that after a couple of weeks of that Hughton and his staff will know better where they think we need additions to the squad.

Posting up attacks based on some presumption that they will be no new additions and further adding snide comments as to why suggests that some are not as pro-City as they would like us to think they are.

Reasoned argument yes, baseless attacks no

Once QPR they got their players in and used to each other they had some pretty good results. Money can''t buy you success but together with Hughes'' experience and qualities it should avoid them being a bottom 5 team in my opinion.

The bottom six will be Wigan, Southampton, Swansea, Reading, WBA and Norwich.Villa will be in that group above us with West Ham, Fulham, QPR and Sunderland. The problems of a year ago are problems of a year ago.We have to finish top of our group of 6.But it is those 6... we need to buy players to help us... but with the bottom this season seperated by so few points we were only a few points away from the bottom teams. But we picked up points throughout the year, we played teams when they were on the slide bolton away, sunderland at home, newcastle at home. We also beat Swansea and QPR, do I think we will do the double over them both again this season, probably not. I can see us picking up 6 out of 12 against them here. But this is such a tough league.I am going to the Fulham game and really hope we can get a good start and 3 points at a team I expect to be very safe in mid table... but with some players leaving it could be interesting for them.These are the teams we are fighting with to stay up, and they are stronger than the weaker teams we had this time last year, blackburn, bolton, wolves, wigan, wba and the teams who came up with us.We have to hope WBA struggle early... Wigan continue their blip, one of the promoted teams struggle to get their first win and then we have to perform from day 1... we need to be proving a point on the field and off by signing good calibre players

"We have to finish top of our group of 6"

Oh dear, we had that old tosh last season.  The relegtion league or some similar old tosh .... that fizzled out before Xmas when it was blindingly obvious that it was .......... meaningless old tosh.

Not unexpectedly the whingers and whiners have scrabbled round and found a different stick to beat the club with. This time it is that the promoted clubs are already signing new players and we are not signing any ... or will do if you listen to the bleats.

This nonsense ignores that the promoted clubs have the same managers and coaching staff so will alread know where they need to strengthen - this is a big step. Likewise we were in their exact position this time last year. We added seven players (?) and another two more in January. However the current squad as pretty nuch shown it can hold it''s own in the Premier League and so the absolute urgency to ''get up to speed'' is not with us.

Of course we cab always ''strengthen'' but what the last few seasons have shown, if nothing else is the importance of ''team spirit'' and getting the best out of players. Players who fit into that mould do not come off the peg and it is important to get the right layers rather than indulge in a ''kid in a sweet shop'' mentality just because we have the funds.

The board have shown a shrewd and determined approach to running the club with a high level of success being achived both on and off the field. I will trust them, rather than the endless bleats from the whingers and whiners who have been proven wrong so, so many times.

[quote user="City1st"]

"We have to finish top of our group of 6"

Oh dear, we had that old tosh last season.  The relegtion league or some similar old tosh .... that fizzled out before Xmas when it was blindingly obvious that it was .......... meaningless old tosh.

Not unexpectedly the whingers and whiners have scrabbled round and found a different stick to beat the club with. This time it is that the promoted clubs are already signing new players and we are not signing any ... or will do if you listen to the bleats.

This nonsense ignores that the promoted clubs have the same managers and coaching staff so will alread know where they need to strengthen - this is a big step. Likewise we were in their exact position this time last year. We added seven players (?) and another two more in January. However the current squad as pretty nuch shown it can hold it''s own in the Premier League and so the absolute urgency to ''get up to speed'' is not with us.

Of course we cab always ''strengthen'' but what the last few seasons have shown, if nothing else is the importance of ''team spirit'' and getting the best out of players. Players who fit into that mould do not come off the peg and it is important to get the right layers rather than indulge in a ''kid in a sweet shop'' mentality just because we have the funds.

The board have shown a shrewd and determined approach to running the club with a high level of success being achived both on and off the field. I will trust them, rather than the endless bleats from the whingers and whiners who have been proven wrong so, so many times.

[/quote]

Oh do shut the fuc*ck up, you coma inducing tw@t - you''re like a broken bleedin'' record ffs.

Naughton, Whitbread, and Drury have not yet been replaced. Unless CH signs some really good defenders then I think NC will go down. A problem is that there are so few good ones available.