Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Lambert Comp. Package.

Has anyone heard anymore about it? last I heard was last week Villa were trying to get around paying nearly anything. and with the confirmation of Lambert to Villa today, I still haven''t read anything about it.

I''m assuming they have made a deal, which will most likely be a little more than we will have to give to get Hughton (same one year rolling contract, but hughton is with a lower league club.)

He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due

[quote user="city4eva"]He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due[/quote]You''ll wish there was an edit button....

So our manager leaves for nothing leaving us to pay an arm and a leg for a replacement , sounds like the Norwich way .

[quote user="At least Im still here"][quote user="city4eva"]He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due[/quote]

You''ll wish there was an edit button....
[/quote]

[Y]

Unbelievable

[quote user="city4eva"]He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due[/quote]

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~2793911,00.html

The second paragraph states pretty clearly that we did not accept his resignation.

Did Lambert try to resign? Yes. Did we let him? No.

This has in fact be referred to THE LEAGUE MANAGERS ASSOCIATION tribunal, who will arbitrate just as they did when Lambert came to City from Colchester.

At a guess constructive dismissal due to our breach of contract.

We''ll probably sue Villa or take them to a tribunal and then settle out of court for between 500k and 1m. That or Villa will agree a similar amount for Culverhouse & Karsa on the understanding that we don''t take any action re Lambert.

Aston Villa may have a claim to not paying any compensation as PL held the contract.  He broke it by accepting the job at AV, now compensation may be due if they wanted to buy him out of that contract, which they may of done.  If they haven''t the breaking of the contract falls on the shoulders of PL, unless we broke a clause in the contract.  Now did AV break football league rules and regulations regarding approaching another teams manager/staff?  who knows!

"Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, I just play one on TV..."

is tapping up no longer illegal ? i don''t see how anyone can resign on a wednesday and walk into a job on a friday without being tapped up ?

i know it goes on but i thought it wasn''t allowed ? 

[quote user="city4eva"]He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due[/quote]

So what''s the point in contracts at all?

Managers may as well just resign every time a more preferable employer uses the press to suggest interest.

[quote user="im spartacus"]

is tapping up no longer illegal ? i don''t see how anyone can resign on a wednesday and walk into a job on a friday without being tapped up ?

i know it goes on but i thought it wasn''t allowed ? 

[/quote]That''s the root of it, whatever way Villa dresses it up.

The point that''s being missed, although Mahogany has already referred to it, is that there was a clause (allegedly) in Lambert''s contract that said if other clubs approached him he was allowed to talk to them. We apparently blocked Villa''s offer, allowing Lambert to claim breach of contract and resign. If this hadn''t happened, we could have held Lambert to the rolling 12 months and Villa would have had to pay compo to solve this.Whether Lambert was justified in his assertion that his contract was genuinely breached, and whether Villa tapped him up, are separate issues and we can choose to pursue them legally or via the relevant football body if we feel we have a strong case. The fact that a day or two after a fairly strong statement about Lambert being on gardening leave we rolled over and wished him well in his new role at Villa suggests to me that he has a strong case that we did breach the contract by denying him the chance to talk to them.

[quote user="city4eva"]He resigned, why do they owe us anything, We didnt have to pay him any wages after he resigned so didnt cost us anything. IMO no compo due[/quote]Yeah because when he resigned from Colchester to join us we didn''t have to pay Colchester any compens....... oh wai...... not much.

The independent report that it was confirmed yesterday that no compensation is due whatsoever.Which must mean that Villa were right about us breaching Lambert''s contract by refusing him permission to speak to Villa.In which case....very poor move whoever made that decision.

there will be compensation due, not one journo truly knows the wording in the contracts only people who do are high up in the respective clubs. If we had fallen foul of breaching contracts do you really think Mcnally would persue it making himself look like a right lemon.

The fact that he resigned means squat, he resigned because of Villa hence villa caused the resignation and so forth will be accountable for any compensation due. Villa penny pinching small time tossers.

[quote user="City penguin"]there will be compensation due, not one journo truly knows the wording in the contracts only people who do are high up in the respective clubs. If we had fallen foul of breaching contracts do you really think Mcnally would persue it making himself look like a right lemon.

The fact that he resigned means squat, he resigned because of Villa hence villa caused the resignation and so forth will be accountable for any compensation due. Villa penny pinching small time tossers.[/quote]But they didn''t cause the resignation, we did by refusing him the - perfectly legal - option to talk to them. Sadly.Tapping up - which looks pretty clear from where I''m sitting - is a different matter.

Don''t believe what you read in the papers. How do they know what''s happening without seeing Lamberts contract.

Basically Lambert was on a 12 month rolling contract. So if we sacked him, the club would have to pay him 12 months wages. And it works the other way round too.. As Lambert walked out without serving his notice, he owes the Club 12 months of his wages which Villa should pay.

This is what really annoys me about Lambert. Now he''s gone, he won''t give a sh*t about Norwich and its fans. I for one hope he struggles at Villa the way this has all gone about.

nuff said, so you believe that the national newspapers have add access to Paul Lamberts contract? If we have broken the contract as i said do you really think Mcnally would be persueing it without a leg to stand on ?

They are just being cheap.

[quote user="colneycanary"]As Lambert walked out without serving his notice, he owes the Club 12 months of his wages which Villa should pay. .[/quote]Unless his contract was already null and void having been breached by NCFC, obviously. We shall see, I guess.

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="colneycanary"]As Lambert walked out without serving his notice, he owes the Club 12 months of his wages which Villa should pay. .[/quote]
Unless his contract was already null and void having been breached by NCFC, obviously. We shall see, I guess.
[/quote]

Only those who''ve seen the contract would really know what the legal position is. The one hard fact, which might be significant, is that Lambert is now a Villa employee without the issue of compensation being settled. As to whether we would pursue the matter if we thought we didn''t have a leg to stand on, yes I think we would. We didn''t have a leg to stand on (as the verdict showed) when we took Lambert from Colchester, but we still carried on all the way to a tribunal, racking up massive legal fees.

I really don''t see what you are all arguing about - as previously stated city want compensation, villa state Lambert was a free agent - both parties have discussed the situation, and both HAVE AGREED to refer it to the league managers association, who will arbitrate and investigate villas approach to Lambert, and if a breach is proved will refer it to the FA. Exactly what happened with City and Colchester, city had to pay compo, and we''re fined by F.A., some of the fine suspended for two years! Pot/kettle and black - we can''t have it both ways!

[quote user="porkyp"]I really don''t see what you are all arguing about - as previously stated city want compensation, villa state Lambert was a free agent - both parties have discussed the situation, and both HAVE AGREED to refer it to the league managers association, who will arbitrate and investigate villas approach to Lambert, and if a breach is proved will refer it to the FA. Exactly what happened with City and Colchester, city had to pay compo, and we''re fined by F.A., some of the fine suspended for two years! Pot/kettle and black - we can''t have it both ways![/quote]

You may be right, although the Daily Telegraph was suggestingt we had done that unilaterally:

Norwich have called in the League Managers’ Association after Villa refused to pay any compensation.

Either way it does seem as if our contract with Lambert was not as watertight as it should have been. The reality is that you can''t stop a manager going to another club if they want to, but you can make any offer from another club, and its acceptance by your manager, absolutely conditional on compensation being agreed first, with any breach of that condition being settled by a tribunal. That was indeed what Colchester did when we approached them for Lambert.

Just remembered; In Mcnallys Sky interview last week on the matter, didn''t he say something along the lines of ''We denied him permission to talk to villa, so we would be put in the situation to claim compensation if it all goes through.''?

[quote user="Across_The_Pond_Yellow"]Just remembered; In Mcnallys Sky interview last week on the matter, didn''t he say something along the lines of ''We denied him permission to talk to villa, so we would be put in the situation to claim compensation if it all goes through.''?[/quote]

No.

It was, we rejected his transfer request so we would be in the position to claim compensation....... Obviously that''s not word for word, but that''s the gist of it.

He didn''t need to be tapped up.

Villa applied in writing for permission to speak to Lambert. Norwich refused. Lambert got wind of this, told the board his contract clearly stated he could talk to any bigger clubs and that they''d broken that contract

He resigned, spoke to Villa and took the job. With Norwich being the contract breakers it''s highly unlikely any compensation will be forthcoming

[quote user="AJ"]He didn''t need to be tapped up. Villa applied in writing for permission to speak to Lambert. Norwich refused. Lambert got wind of this, told the board his contract clearly stated he could talk to any bigger clubs and that they''d broken that contract He resigned, spoke to Villa and took the job. With Norwich being the contract breakers it''s highly unlikely any compensation will be forthcoming[/quote]

[|-)]