Sign in to follow this  
Lionel Wessi

Hughton or Lambert

So it looks like Mr Hughton is destined to be the next NCFC manager and overall it seems like a fairly positive apointment.

Do you wish we still had Lambert in charge or do you prefer Chris Hughton?

Very happy with Hughton. I was really disapointed for him when he was fired from Newcastle as he appeared to be a top manager. Hughton was my first choice to replace Lambert so I am delighted.I think we have more chance of staying up with Hughton than Lambert, why ?Well Hughton will change the way we play and fiddle with things in the club. This should mean that we avoid second sesaon syndrome as people will not know how we play as opposed to us under Lambert.

I''d rather have Hughton - Lambert clearly had doubts about his ability to sustain our Prem form next season so we''re better off getting someone new in.  I always expected Lambert to want to move on eventually, but I''ve been surprised at how quickly he''s gone, and to a team that''s only a modest step up.

If all this business with Villa never took place? Lambert without a doubt. However, I rate Chris Hughton highly, and I reckon he''ll do a top,top job here. 

Hughton.

I had resigned myself to Lambert spending no more than one more season at the club. Although Lambert''s a really good manager, he does always seems to be eyeing the next rung up the greasy ladder and does not seem to be very open or honest sometimes. This means that I would have spent much of the coming season fearing a sudden departure, which could have jeopardised our chances of survival.

Hughton seems to be a man of real integrity and doesn''t seem to be constantly looking to jump ship, which should make planning, both in the short term (for players) and medium term (on the ground expansion, etc.), much smoother.

I''d much rather have Lambert, but that doesn''t mean I''m unhappy with Hughton''s appointment.

I dont think any of us in all honestly could answer this.  I would have loved for Lambert to stay here, But Lambert obviously feels he can achieve more at Villa so good luck to him.

Chris Hughton is a very decent replacement.  Did really well at Newcastle, did well at Birmingham considering the problems he faced.  Has all the tools to do well at Norwich.  Although I am under no illusions that next season is going to be tough for us.

Hughton definitely. His managerial record is awesome and he rarely jumps ship

"Hughton seems to be a man of real integrity and doesn''t seem to be constantly looking to jump ship"

Remind yourself how long he''s been at Birmingham again

Thing is, AJ, Hughton was under a transfer embargo at B''ham, with the club going in financial meltdown. Can''t really pin that on him.

He had been sacked from his previous job before that.

Contrast that with Lambert:

Wycombe - resigned

Colchester - resigned

Norwich - resigned

Villa - destined to resign

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Thing is, AJ, Hughton was under a transfer embargo at B''ham, with the club going in financial meltdown. Can''t really pin that on him.

He had been sacked from his previous job before that.

Contrast that with Lambert:

Wycombe - resigned

Colchester - resigned

Norwich - resigned

Villa - destined to resign

[/quote]You forgot:Livingston - resigned.[:D]

But, AJ, Hughton was sacked by Mike Ashley, when Newcastle were in the top half of the Prem.

And he did incredibly well (top 6 finish) at B''ham while under a transfer embargo.

Whereas Lambert only managed 12th, and seemed to have be some dissension going on around him in his final days, not a good sign.

After next season, Lambert will be eyeing up his next move - Celtic, the big 5 (not Villa), Dortmund ... Villa are just a staging post, not the destination. You can then count on resignation number 5 out of 5.

[quote user="AJ"]So ..

sacked

jumped ship

Good signs for the future[/quote]

You sound just like us when Lambert moved from Colchester. Unfortunately for you there are lots of bigger clubs than Villa including the likes of Celtic and Dortmund. He will use you then s**t on you simples. Your fans will no way accept his signings because you think you are a big club. In case you havent noticed you have no chance of catching Man City Man Utd ect and in terms of money / buying power the likes of QPR, Southampton Reading and even Cardiff are far bigger than you. Just accept like us you are a mid table wont get in the Champions league club.

Remember you guys booed Martin O''Neill who was replaced by a manager that cancelled the contracts of your youth players that got you to the FA youth cup final who was then replaced by a manager who almost took you down. Lets see how Bent reacts when he is told he has to train on his own for not pulling his weight. Lamberts ways are unproven on star players. Hope you like Snodgrass because he will be your first signing.

Now please go away and let us celebrate the appointment of a top manager. Or maybe like most in Birmingham you are sitting at home because you are unemployed.

Now that we have got him, definitely Hughton.If Lambert had stayed, I would have been worrying all the time about him possibly leaving us in the lurch in mid-season. That''s the big problem with having an upwardly mobile young manager. Hughton, I think, has found his level as a manager, and is much less likely to walk or to be poached by another club. Mind you, if he is successful here, and Hodgson is a flop with England, who knows....[:)]

Personally think Lambert''s the better manager, purely as the facts are there to back him up - Unbelievable success.

But in all honesty i don''t know a great deal about Hughton, not seen sod all of the championship last season, and that which i watched were for Ex Norwich or Norwich Loanees.

I haven''t a clue if he''ll set out to attack teams like Lambert, or play for draws - All this is to come. I liked the way we played under Lambert very much so.

However, on the other hand, i feel that he started what has given Pardew great success so he clearly knows what he''s doing.

To thrown into the mix, as Power Hamster above - i think there was always that worry that Lambert would walk mid-season... So therein lays the negative for PL.

If it was the choice of getting rid of Lambert and replacing him with Hughton, honestly i would''ve said no - like 99% i expect?

However, how we sit right now it''s a resounding yes for me, would prefer him over PL. If he comes close to the success Lambert''s achieved i will be VERY happy. Tough tough job, really has got to hit the ground running.

• We''re more likely to have a cup run to keep the momentum going under Hughton - no more f*ck-ups like Leicester last year! 
  • No more rolling over to your maestro''s team. 
  • No more taking it easy against a fellow struggler. 

At least three reasons why Hughton will be better.

I accept that Lambert probably has an edge on some thigns but overall not more than a cigarette paper between their capabilities!

Lambert is learning, gaining experience - as shown by his constant juggling the squad.   Hughton will be much more assured and confident which will be reflected in his team selection and team performance.   The club is evolving - a better, more mature and experienced manager replacing one who has done a great job but didn''t have the confidence to take us on to the next stage.    Onwards and upwards.

No manager worth his salt would ever league England for the Micky mouse Scottish league, so I feel more than safe there!

If Lambert ever leaves Villa for a genuine bigger job, then it''ll mean he''s worked his magic at Villa which suits me just fine

On the other foot, if Hughton matches your clubs aims and finishes 17th, don''t be surprised if one of the promoted clubs poach him next summer.

He''s a good bloke, but a week in Norfolk can feel like a lifetime never mind a year

He''s a city boy and will soon get fed up of the deathly slow lifestyle. Most people do

Not me mind. I''m naturally docile and fit right in. Excitement to me these days is a night out in Cromer

Difficult to say really. Hughton''s a very solid appointment, isn''t going to have crazy expectations, and has delivered in some very trying circumstances.Hard to compare them, as Hughton has a bit more experience, and I don''t really know how good Lambert is. Lambert''s definitely used to getting want he wants from the board.I think there will be a lot less drama with Hughton around.

[quote user="AJ"]"Hughton seems to be a man of real integrity and doesn''t seem to be constantly looking to jump ship"

Remind yourself how long he''s been at Birmingham again[/quote]Remind yourself what it''s like to ask a club''s permission to approach a manager, and then pay an acceptable level of compensation to recruit his entire backroom team ;-P

Ask yourself this.

If someone told you at the final whistle of the recent Villa game that we would have Chris Hughton in charge for the next game would you have been pleased?

I think it''s mad to think that you would rather have Hughton over Lambert.

But, it''s irrelevant ... we don''t have the choice.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Ask yourself this.

If someone told you at the final whistle of the recent Villa game that we would have Chris Hughton in charge for the next game would you have been pleased?

I think it''s mad to think that you would rather have Hughton over Lambert.

But, it''s irrelevant ... we don''t have the choice.

[/quote]

Its a hypothetical  question though.    Given the circumstances it looks as if this signing is just what the club need.  Someone to take on what Lambert started.     If Lambert had really believed in himself he would have stayed.   Far better to get someone like Hughton in who is up to the job and committed to the cause.     Its true we don''t have a choice - but in the scheme of things - it feels right.

Can''t answer this question till Hughton has had at least a season here.

[quote user="AJ"]No manager worth his salt would ever league England for the Micky mouse Scottish league, so I feel more than safe there! [/quote]AJ.... I guess you did not attend Norwich vs Celtic.The Celtic fans love him and do not make any mistakes, Lambert loves Celtic.If I was you guys, id be far more worried about Lambert going to Celtic or Dortmund than another Prem team. Your lucky that Neil Lennon is going down a treat and Rangers are on a nose dive or he would be on his way up there.Aston Villa to Lambert is a similar club as Colchester, his tenure will be almost exact as well.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]Personally think Lambert''s the better manager, purely as the facts are there to back him up - Unbelievable success. [/quote]Purely at Norwich though. His only notable achievement at Colchester was beating us, and wasn''t great at Wycombe or Livingstone.