Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

Bolton's Goal -- ANOTHER lapse

Sorry if people have covered this already in other threads but the low point of our abysmal performance at bolton was giving away the goal.

let''s be honest here -- sure it was a great strike from stelios -- but did we really need to give him 10 yards and 10 seconds worth of space on the edge of the box? i think it was eddy who just sat and ballwatched AGAIN.

have you ever seen one of our players get that kind of space in that type of situation against a premiership team?

i dont understand all this "fantastic effort" crap that worthy keeps going on about -- frankly, i feel like i''m consistently seeing less effort than whoever the opposition is.

pissed off.

Agreed, this is the other half of our poor defending style - the first bit is not being first to the ball in the box and the second is allowing opposition players all the room they want just outside the box.

This also happened to the guy who hit the bar, he was allowed to get near enough to the box without being challenged that he was encouraged to shoot. Caused by us defending way too deep.

It happened many other times at corners/throw-ins where there were Bolton players completely unmarked on the edge of the box waiting for a head-out - we must station at least one and possibly two players to mark on the edge of the box at opposition set-pieces, it really is the basics of football.   

I agree with most of what''s been said. Stelios should never have got the shot in. He was given 3 yards of space and seconds to take it.  Ball watching again instead of getting to the strikers feet was to blame here.  Not only that, Green was not in the right position to take a shot from the badly marked striker. Where Green stood, there was no chance for it to be a target area. The shot was made to the far post area which was IMHO where Green should have taken up position.  Once again. Green as well as the defenders in question are not alert, or for some reason not switched on.  Once again I draw attention to a grand performance  by Shackell who does look as if he for one want''s to earn his corn.  It''s a pity that it takes empty word''s during press interviews for players to voice what they should do, and what might have been.  I would say that talk is cheap, and that it''s the work on the pitch that counts.  There have been too many lapses of concentration by various members of the team for it to be just a matter of skill deficiency. IMO there is something wrong with team preparation and the training ethos. I believe that we have a comfort zone somewhere that needs breaking up.

[quote]I agree with most of what''s been said. Stelios should never have got the shot in. He was given 3 yards of space and seconds to take it. Ball watching again instead of getting to the strikers feet was...[/quote]

I do agree with most of what you say Beelsie but I would wager that 99% of keepers would have been stood pretty much where Green was.

Stelios was given far too much time and space to put the ball where he wanted.

I agree were to slow to pick up, what  also concerns me is some schoolboy type problems, mostly players (as shown with eddy''s header amongst other things) seemingly content to knock the ball anywhere. what happened to finding another man with a clearance or at worst case the stands, but not the opposition player.