Sign in to follow this  
Morph

Has Worthy changed that much?

Wasn''t sure whether to start a new topic on this or try to tack it on the back of one of the existing ones, but here goes......

Worthy is being somewhat panned in certain circles on this board, and possibly with some justification, but what I want to know is has the manager and coaching staff really changed in the years that he has been in charge?

I got panned on another message board last season with a post about "Huff, Puff and no guile" after a poor 0-0 draw with West Brom where the team, coaches included, showed a lack of guile when it came to breaking down a stubborn opposition. It appeared at the time to be more about hard work and graft than real "cutting edge" football.

So after the weekend Bolton debarcle (can''t describe it as anything else) it raises the question in my mind, has it been any different under Worthy in the years that he''s been in charge?

It seems poignant to ask as everybody seems to think Worthy is the man to take us back when the inevitable occurs. I have to say that I don''t think he is UNLESS he sits down over the summer break with the board, staff and players alike and sorts out what they''ve done so badly wrong this season.

From my perspective finishing 20th is a very poor showing in the top division. I firmly believed they were capable of scrapping out an above the relegation finish, but performances of late have been less than distinguished from staff and players alike.

So has Worthy showed tactical awareness in the past? An understanding of the game and how to break down the opposition? An understanding of how to stop other teams "gutting" us? An understanding of how to get his team to perform with something other than the huff and puff?

You tell me.....

Agree with you , the standard of football has always been poor since Worthington took over , no flair whatsoever , last seasons no1 tactic was boot it to Huckerby and leave it to him . Sadly we are still playing this tactic in the premier league , stop Huckerby stop Norwich simple as that.

premier1, did you go the football before Worthy took over?  If you did then I''d sit closer to the pitch as your eyes are obviously going!!  Football under Hamilton, Rioch, Deehan etc was some of the worst I have ever seen.  Worthy came in and turned this club around.  We are playing much much MUCH better football and have significantly better players under Worthy than any of the 5 managers previous to him.  You wouldn''t say we played with flair at Derby and Burnley and Watford last year?  And at home against teams Ippo and Millwall and Wigan?  I certainly would   

You are just naming the managers that took over after Chase left the club in a mess , go back further , Ken Brown , Dave Stringer , Mike Walker , John Bond all their sides played more attractive football than this defence minded manager. Its easy to look good against some off the opposition you name last season Cardiff first half yes maybe Ipswich at home ???? you really think so , we were lucky not to be buried by the half time whistle.

And yes the eyes are beggining to go at my age , but they still work well enough to know that what i saw Saturday was undoubtably one of the worst performances ever by a premiership side. We are fast becoming this seasons biggest joke.

How can anyone criticise worthy? he got us promoted. And as for the boring football that we play - i thought lobbing it up to hux and watching him rip apart defences was the best ive seen at Norwich in a long time. Also, it wasnt just Hux - Iwan, Crouch, Holt, Hendo, McKenzie, Svensson and pretty much everyone on the team scored at least once. This is pointless, if it doesnt please you then go and support Chelsea or Man U

My God, you cant be serious about comparing todays climate with that of the Milk Cup run etc?!!!! Bond a great for sure, as was Brown but seriously!

We are not alowed to compare Worthy with any other manager we had in the ten years prior to him but its ok to compare him to some of our best managers!

Ok, I will say what I think about Worthington.

I think that at the moment he is learning. He isnt a "top" premiership manager yet and maybe he never will be, but he hasnt really been tested yet.

I have argued over and over again about the reason for why we are where we are. Simply for me it comes down to the fact that we have a largely Championship quality team. But that is no surprise because most of them were signed for that Division.

I dont think that any of Worthingtons signings have been misguided apart from Docs but then I think that he has already shown that he is better than Malky would have been at this level and we were short in depth at the back.

Back in Bonds day you could sign a player for a packet of crisps and a mars bar and the wages werent anywhere near as rediculous as they are now, and the club wasnt in as much financial strife.

I think as other people have said, Worthingtons test will be this summer. He needs to strengthen the squad with players capable of performing in the premiership.

For me its quite emotional to have to think that players that have served us well may just not be up to it. A couple of seasons ago people were begging Mulryne to stay, after being one of the better players we have had here for the best part of ten years. Maybe it is time for him to go?

Its going to be hard what-ever next season. I still think that Mulryne is a good footballer in the sence that at least he can pass the ball well and can pick out the runners, but more is needed of him in the premiership and we cant hold onto players who can hardly keep up with fitnesses let alone match pace.

We need out and out wingers, and a ball playing central midfielder. I think Francis could do it but I have been majorly dissapointed with him for most of the season. Dont get me wrong he has scored some vital goals but I think he could help out a hell of a lot more defencively.

People complain that Holty doesnt tackle or do anything other than run around like a headless chicken (yep I know what its like! :laugh but the reason for that is he constantly trying to cover Huckerbys player and Francis'' player as well as his own. And as all us good footballers know - the ball travels faster so let it do the work, the poor guy is left chasing shadows and ones that others should be chasing. If we arnt in the top six 1/4 of the way into next season we need to re-address the situation.

I still think that the injuries have really killed our season, and that is a sign of a lack of quality in depth.

[quote]How can anyone criticise worthy? he got us promoted. And as for the boring football that we play - i thought lobbing it up to hux and watching him rip apart defences was the best ive seen at Norwich i...[/quote]

Sorry Northern I''m going to take issue with your comments. And it''s nothing to do with you personally.

I''ve seen so many comments over the past few days in response to several posters who have come out and criticised Worthy, to the effect that they should go and support Chelsea or Man U if what they''re seeing at Norwich isn''t good enough.

No! No! No! No! There''s loads of City supporters here who are complaining about what they''ve seen. Many of those pay good money to go and be entertained. They''re not being entertained with what''s on show at present. So rather than walking and going and supporting Chelsea or Man U they come on here and complain. You''d say they weren''t true City fans if they walked.

Every one of us as a City supporter should expect our team to get better. If you can''t think you can improve at anything then you''ll continue to be stuck where you are. Burying our heads in the sand and thinking this is what I expected isn''t good enough!!

We were top of the fizzy league last season by a fair margin when the dust finally settled. A few significant signings in the off-season (Helveg, Jonson, Charlton) had many of us believing that a credible finish above the relegation zone was possible. And don''t say we didn''t cos many of us did.

The first half of the season a good few of us would have continued to believe that was realistic. Perhaps we were even convinced that Worthy had learned a thing or two to take the team forward. But since Christmas the team have seemingly rolled over and died. THAT isn''t good enough!

If you pull on a yellow shirt you should do so with pride. Several of the current team don''t seem to share that belief. And the man who has to instil that belief is Worthy.

Between now and the end of the season Worthy has to show us that he has the balls to turn things around and win over the team again. If he doesn''t then I sincerely hope the board sit down with him over the summer and tells him to sort it out. Yes, continuity is a good thing as long as you''re going in the right direction. Standing still isn''t good enough.

Of all the teams in the bottom four only City haven''t improved. Both West Brom and Southampton have improved in their organisation and willingness to fight for the cause. Palace had that from earlier in the season. City had it until Christmas but it appears to have gone, a present taken back by Santa perchance?

I want to see them get it back from now until season''s end. Not because I think they can survive, but because it will prove that they can pick themselves up and learn a hard lesson. If not then I fear for them automatically bouncing back next season.

[quote]premier1, did you go the football before Worthy took over? If you did then I''d sit closer to the pitch as your eyes are obviously going!! Football under Hamilton, Rioch, Deehan etc was some of the w...[/quote]

But do remember what the games were like under Saunders, Stringer and Walker DD?.

Compare Worthy to them, then see what you come up with?.

I think it has been over stated far too much what worthington did,  saving us from possible relegation, steering us to Cardiff and then onto promotion... But that was then..it is now that matters the other is history.. Look at Lewington at Watford.. Led them to a great cup run only a few short weeks ago beating prem sides in getting to the semi final ..now sacked and they aren''t even in a relegation spot...... A manager is as good as his last result.

What Nigel and his back room team did, can never be questioned...but it is now... to coin a well known saying from the movie A Knight''s Tale.... They have been wieghed and found Wanting....in many depts

[quote]How can anyone criticise worthy? he got us promoted. And as for the boring football that we play - i thought lobbing it up to hux and watching him rip apart defences was the best ive seen at Norwich i...[/quote]

How can anyone criticise worthy? he got us promoted.

This is pointless, if it doesnt please you then go and support Chelsea or Man U

northern canary I feel you might be the one going round in circles.

Is worthington above praise because he got us promoted and if we don''t like him we can support chelsea or manu. is that your arguement because you need to go back and think that through. 

back to the point, no worthy hasn''t changed, his tactics are still one dimensional, the football boring and we still sit far too deep which has cost us countless games. he''s had ample opportunity to appear to grow and develop as a coach, but he isn''t. he''s like peter reid at sudnerland, a one trick pony that''s finding he has no plan b.