Sign in to follow this  
AndyCanary

Russell Martin new 3 year deal!

Great news! Well deserved!

Cafu will be an important player for us, as much off the pitch as on it.

C''mon Horse, sign that deal too...

Martin never ceases to amaze me, when he first signed for us I thought he was a terrible player, mid table League 1 player at best not wanted by a poor Posh team in the Championship. BUT (before I get crucified) he has come on leaps and bounds and is now one of my favourite players and most consistant pereformers at the club.  The team will change this season under CH and hope that he is a big part of it.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]Martin never ceases to amaze me, when he first signed for us I thought he was a terrible player, mid table League 1 player at best not wanted by a poor Posh team in the Championship. BUT (before I get crucified) he has come on leaps and bounds and is now one of my favourite players and most consistant pereformers at the club.  The team will change this season under CH and hope that he is a big part of it.[/quote]I always thought he was quality. He seemed a little low in confidence but that soon went under PL.I think the reason why he got a lot of stick from NCFC fans was due to the sheer arrogance a lot of our fans have. They felt like a player that wasn''t good enough for Peterborough was definitely not good enough for Norwich. The same happened with Wilbraham.

Martin told Canaries Player: "It''s brilliant. I''m extremely delighted, my family and I are really happy around here. It''s a pleasure and an honour to be playing for a Club of this size and stature.

"The last three years have been brilliant, and hopefully the next three can be just as good.

"As soon as the Club spoke about it [signing a new contract], it didn''t take long to get sorted because I''m so happy here personally.

"We''ve got a great bunch of lads so I''m really pleased to get it sorted so early on. I can now come back in pre-season raring to go."

Great news. IF only all our players had the same attitude as he shows.

This really is fantastic. He''s a leader and his attitude is spot-on. Now the manager is in I expect we''ll here more good news in the coming weeks.

Richly deserved. I think he had some medical problem when he first joined which none of us knew about. I thought he was solid without being spectacular in his 1st season. Then in his 2nd year he just blossomed into one of the best full backs in the Championship.

Great. My star performer last season for the way he covered for all the injuriwes.

That Hooton''s a good manager ain''t ''e.

Just saw a rumour saying the judas was after him so this is pleasing to know it''s BS

He sounded level headed and philosophical when he did his Talksport interview.  Great bit of news. Hope the rest of the team are all prepared to move forward in the new Hooton era.

Delighted to see this, I was admittedly a bit of a sceptical in the league 1 days (ashamed to think I used to rate Otsemobor over him!)... but he has really won me over into one of my fav players at the club. Seems to be well liked at the club and would be my new choice of captain should an offer come in for Holt!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The question now is does Hughton see him as a centre back or full back as I thought he was far better as the former last season?[/quote]

He was better at centre back for me. But as things stand he is our only recognised right back at the moment. So it will be interesting to see what Hughton does to address that area. I reckon his role will ultimately be to provide strong competition at right back with a new signing (hopefully Clyne but I am probably living in dream world) and to also cover for injuries in the centre when needed.

Great news, and thoroughly deserved. No member of the squad is more committed to the side than he is!

Pleased for the lad, well deserved and a good player. Liked the statements he came out with re looking forward to the season and how much he loves the area and playing for our club.

Get the feeling he could be another Adam Drury and be around for a long time.

[quote user="Tj"]

Get the feeling he could be another Adam Drury and be around for a long time.

[/quote]

Very similar.. Full backs, Came from Peterborough, Same hair style, Good with media.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]The question now is does Hughton see him as a centre back or full back as I thought he was far better as the former last season?[/quote]...agreed, thought he was brilliant at centre, but got caught out by fast wingers whenever he came up against them. also, on a side note, maybe his agent could take holt on board, as he is obviously on his players side and not out to get what he can.

Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!Honestly, this club is fantastic for extreme highs and lows. What a ride we''ve had recently (and continue to have). I thought Martin would have been a primary target for Lambert. Wouldn''t be surprised to see others follow suit now with new deals. The board should be praised and the players (for the most part) have been brilliant through the "crisis" as some media outlets branded it.I''ve only seen good positive reactions coming out from the players. Very proud of this club right now.

[quote user="NCFCgardener"]Martin never ceases to amaze me, when he first signed for us I thought he was a terrible player, mid table League 1 player at best not wanted by a poor Posh team in the Championship. BUT (before I get crucified) he has come on leaps and bounds and is now one of my favourite players and most consistant pereformers at the club.  The team will change this season under CH and hope that he is a big part of it.[/quote]

considering at that time he was going for a dump 20 times a day its even more remarkable how its all turned out...  i think he is now the best centre back at the club OTBC

I know a lot of fans will disagree, but if someone was going I would rather it was Holt than Martin - he probably prevented as many goals as Holt scored.

Hopefully Holt will dump that tw@t of an agent and we will keep them both.

Sooty, i agree with you. I heard before the Holt business blew up that he`d got a bit big for his boots in recent months, though i still love the bloke and hope he stays. Martin is intelligent enough to fully appreciate what he has here and not fall for the old "grass is greener" myth. Holt take note....

Fantastic news. However everyone making out as though they "never doubted him" when in league one is utter rubbish.

I thank Lambert for seeing something in training that wasn''t showing on game day in League one. That led to him being a high quality player in the Championship.

We shouldn''t kid ourselves though he was quite bad during the League one campaign, never held the line properly, a lack of communicating and players flooded past him. He has however become better as we have progressed!

With regards to the Peterborough comments, I don''t think this is the case at all. I never think of him as being from there and creating negative thoughts toward him...

He is a fantastic squad defender, can play RB, LB (if asked to) and CB. Probably won''t be a full time starter next season due to Ayala and Bennett and hopefully a new RB signing, but will likely play a large number of games as a fill in for any spot due to injuries.