Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

LEST WE FORGET......

Being relegated to League 1 (Div 3)

Peter Grant

Glen Roeder

Brian Gunn

Neil Doncaster

Where exactly were we before McNally, Lambert & Holt dragged us into the Prem via two glorious years rewriting football league history.

Singlehandedly Holt won games ( critical games ) for us, driving the team on to last gasp victories.

I''m not sure how much of the current situation is ''agents talk'' as I haven''t spoken with Holt, but whatever happens, let''s not forget three of the best years and those responsible.

what is interesting though, is that for a player thats now had a transfer request in for over 3 weeks, the only interest there has apparntly been is a tentative offer from West Ham, hardly a clamour is it?. Has Holt''s agent overplayed his value?

No one will ever forget what Lambert did for Norwich City. He has rescued us from the obsecurity of 3rd tier football where we could have been stuck for years. (That isn''t an exaggeration I think Sheffield United could be about to do an extended tour of duty down there). He has given us back to back seasons of Premiership football which no manager has done since Mike Walker. The ability of Lambert the manager is not in doubt. On the hand the integrity of Lambert the man is very much in question. I don''t like how he left the club and I think the manner in which Culverhouse and Karsa (two men who have contributed so much to his success) are being hung out to dry is shocking. It has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. But Lambert still doesnt deserve some of the rubbish being chucked at him on these boards which is based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

Yes he has overplayed his value. Holt has been magnificent and was rewarded with a new contract and has 2 years where I am sure he recieved a bonus for staying in the premier league. If he doesn''t think we will be looking at talented players to join and reportedly put them on more money than him then he is losing it.Holt, Lambert etc have done a wonderful job, an amazing job... one that has saved the club. But we haven''t come this way to let it all go falling down and say that these three are our foundation blocks that cannot be replaced.It is now a slightly different route with Hughton, who I believe will get the best out of some of our talent. In Grant Holt we have a striker who will be worked out next season he will still score but he doesn''t want to be here and part of an improving team with the current contract he is on. I for one am happy to sell at 4-6 million. This is a saga that is going on too long, we will need to find a good time to replace him anyway during these 2 years and the fact it his decision, not the clubs, makes it more palatable for fans to direct any amazement and anger to the player and not the board.NCFC fans will not forget what these guys did. Back to back promotions is almost unheard of, so people will never forget. It is a silly cooment to say we will. But what we do is build, each year you need to build... we are building a new management team, hopefully we can sort out our want away striker this week

I''m not sure I have ever been to a game that was ''single handedly'''' won by one player. Good as he''s been for us, Holt is part of a team, and could do v little without the other guys.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I''m not sure I have ever been to a game that was ''single handedly'''' won by one player. Good as he''s been for us, Holt is part of a team, and could do v little without the other guys.[/quote]

Exactly. It is a team effort. I remember him getting sent off against Brentford and left us with 10 men for an hour. We dug in and got the win without him. We got a lot of points this year playing Steve Morison by himself up front. Of course I would prefer Holt to stay and we are stronger for him being here. It would be churlish to say otherwise. But I don''t the whole thing would necessarily come crashing down without him.

Whether Holt stays or goes his reputation with us will be forever tarnished in view of events of the recent weeks.

I think if he goes to another club he won''t get the game time or be a big a hero as he is (was?) here. Norwich was the right club for him at the right time.

He could have seen his days out here, returned/retired to play for Carlisle and still have been seen as the biggest hero this club has ever had.

Sadly his head has been turned by agent talk and until the facts become clear about why he became unhappy this sourness will still hang over him.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]Whether Holt stays or goes his reputation with us will be forever tarnished in view of events of the recent weeks. I think if he goes to another club he won''t get the game time or be a big a hero as he is (was?) here. Norwich was the right club for him at the right time. He could have seen his days out here, returned/retired to play for Carlisle and still have been seen as the biggest hero this club has ever had. Sadly his head has been turned by agent talk and until the facts become clear about why he became unhappy this sourness will still hang over him.[/quote]

I think the situation is still redeemable by Holt..........but only just, and only because of the credit he has in the bank.

Remember that Rooney tried the same kind of thing at Man Utd, which I''m sure most of their fans have now forgotten and forgiven.

It would probably involve him accepting improved terms and/or signing a new contract and then coming out in the EDP with a full page spread entitled "Holt- My side of the story", explaining what''s gone on in exactly his own words?

This does need addressing quickly if Hughton cant change his mind then thanks for everything good luck and goodbye, if he does stay however im sure once he hits the back of the net all will b forgiven he will have to earn that 3rd year tho but he just has to be the player he was before this all flared up and im sure he will get it(might be a good idea to change his agent as well)

I agree, the Holt thing would still be redeemable (if both sides want it), but it needs a dual effort from club and player to get together and work out something they are both happy with getting into the media; you need something that doesn''t make the club look bad whilst sympathising with the player. It certainly doesn''t need that muppet Payne crying on the radio again.

I think your last post is bang on Branston. If it can be resolved then Holty is worth keeping for both his on and off contributions to the club.

Yes it''s a team game of course but if we hadn''t had Holt these last three years we would not be in the EPL. I have been to nearly all these games home and away and witnessing our captains contribution, not just his goals, he is one special player.

He has been ill advised by a very poor agent that there is no doubt. I don''t thing the whole story will come out for a few years but this saga has been dragged out mainly because of the early close season and recent exciting events.

The most important man now is Houghton. If he wants him to stay, I feel he will get his man. If he has other ideas then it''s bye bye Holty!

McNasty has put the ball in Hughton''s court, I suspect we shall see a resolution sooner rather than later.

Hughton has put on record that convincing Holt to stay is a priority, so, like others, I hope that happens soon. I accept that money dominates football now (though I also regret it). It will be interesting to see how it plays out and I hope that happens soon.

[quote user="Number 9"]McNasty has put the ball in Hughton''s court, I suspect we shall see a resolution sooner rather than later.[/quote]

I thought Hughton said he was off on his personal hols shortly? In which case, it would be better all-round to sort out the Grant Holt affair beforehand...

I would have thought it would be a priority for Hughton to know fairly quickly whether there was any chance that Holty would be staying or whether the situation had gone to far and he had to plan to replace him. I hope that something can be agreed that will keep Holty here for next season and firing on all cylinders as he has been an outstanding performer and still can do an important job for us. However no-one is irreplaceable.