Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

OT But............

That is a very poor statement, in the UK we have a very big number of intollerant uneducated thugs and bullies of the same ideals, but they don''t go to football matches anymore!

It''s a trend which is increasing in this country with more and more people becoming less tollerant of foreigners here in the UK.

I can speak from knowledge as I am very closely linked through work to Poland and the Czech Rep and spent much time there over the past 30 years so watched these countries evovle through hardship most on here will never know!

To be honest there is no place for racism anywhere and Norwich have had there few run ins recently with fans, is making monkey noises towrds a white guy any different to a black guy? Gareth Baile anyone. Where is the line there?

It''s too easy for some on here to say it''s rife in Europe and like to think the UK is clean when in reality it''s just a sbad here as anywhere.

I say it''s about the football, the people and educating, devolping change in policing, ideals. We need these tournaments to show the way forward.

[quote user="Indy"]

That is a very poor statement, in the UK we have a very big number of intollerant uneducated thugs and bullies of the same ideals, but they don''t go to football matches anymore!

[/quote]

So are they not a minority? And if they are a minority is it bigger or smaller than 20 years ago?

You can have a big number and still be a moinority Nutty! Who knows if they are bigger or smaller, just not linked as much to football which is a FAMILY event here now and still more a tribal event in Europe!

[quote user="safri_free_kick"]I think if something big does happen (such as a team leaving the tournament in protest) that would serve as massive kick up the arse for FIFA and UEFA. So much so that they might say to Russia  ''sort out your racism problem by 2016 or don''t expect to host the World Cup''.[/quote]

I don''t think the solution is for a team to walk out - that won''t change the mindset and could even glorify their actions.

However, if the ref stopped the game because of racial abuse - that would be deeply embarrassing to the organisers, the authorities and the general population. That would galvanise them into affirmative action, and from what I understand of eastern european policing, I feel that any repeat occurrences would be met with the most robust of responses.

Although one would have thought that normal human rights and decency would have prevailed already, theres nothing like an international political and social embarrassment to focus peoples minds.....

[quote user="Indy"]You can have a big number and still be a moinority Nutty! Who knows if they are bigger or smaller, just not linked as much to football which is a FAMILY event here now and still more a tribal event in Europe![/quote]

I agree Indy. I just was trying to work out what was wrong with my statement.

Don''t assume that because football has become more family orientated that the trribal factions have gone. They are still here and long may the stay! Racism is not a huge part of them anymore and thery are the better for it.

In my lifetime we have had racist chanting by thousands. When fans were disappointed by percieved lack of ambition with our best players being sold the Zigger Zigger chant was used as the ultimate insult to chairman Geoffrey Watling. It would never happen today but it was just accepted 45 byears ago. Similar insults are part of the racism in Eastern Europe. Isolating them won''t improve the situation. This tournament could make a huge difference which won''t be noticed until long after it''s over.

Sorry Nutty must have got crossed wires!

Funny that I have been to games at Sparta, Slavia and Pilzen in Czech Republic and there were some serious times which resembled the early 80''s here! But I am pleased to say that apears to have passed by to a large extent.

I have also been to a couple games in Berlin, Herta, that wasn''t a very nice game and again for a nation which has hosted tournaments this was very hostile atmposphere, boredering on racist chanting.

I don''t know the answer, but I know that Poland and Ukraine are made up of people from all areas and religions, they are generally good people and are deserving of such an events.

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]I''m bewildered to why it''s taking place in Poland/Ukraine. Surely UEFA couldn''t have been stupid enough to be ignorant to what happens out there. It''s got the feeling of a car crash all over it at the moment, certainly doesn''t bode well.[/quote]

think we will be seeing a rehersal of racism in Poland for the world cup in Russia,

Footage is emerging of some very ugly scenes following the Russian match last night. Russian fans attacking the stadium stewards doesn''t bode well for the rest of the tournament.

Those who think eastern Europe is racist need to look at where the last world cup was held.

It''s all in how the media report it......

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Those who think eastern Europe is racist need to look at where the last world cup was held.

It''s all in how the media report it......[/quote]
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. Well said Jas.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Those who think eastern Europe is racist need to look at where the last world cup was held.

It''s all in how the media report it......[/quote]

The South African tournament was pretty crime free compared to other World Cups - Mark Perryman, convener of the London England Fans'' group, recently stated that there were no cases of racism or

hooliganism when England last played in the Ukraine in 2009, or during

recent visits there by Premier League teams including Arsenal,

Tottenham, Manchester City and Everton - ''though Perryman did go on to say that the Polish hooligans/racists were considerably more numerous and dangerous than the Ukrainians.