Sign in to follow this  
gravycanaries

can hughton take us to europe?

title says it all really? can he take us to europe. I personally think he can.

Next season i think will be probably the weakest premier league in its history so no reason that we couldnt get 7th.

Also i think hughton will have an added incentive to get into europe via the league and fa cup as he had it with birmingham last year.

i know this topic will soon be slated by people sayin we dont want to be in europe, to many games etc etc, but seriously if you sy that you need your head testing.

I''m afraid I cant see a 7th place finish.

Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton, Fulham & Newcaslte will all finish above us.

It will have to be via a cup comp. Which given recent cup runs is highly unlikely.

[quote user="gravycanaries"]

Next season i think will be probably the weakest premier league in its history so no reason that we couldnt get 7th.

Also i think hughton will have an added incentive to get into europe via the league and fa cup as he had it with birmingham last year.

i know this topic will soon be slated by people sayin we dont want to be in europe, to many games etc etc, but seriously if you sy that you need your head testing.

[/quote]I think it''s a stronger league than last year, certainly not the weakest.

Weakest Premier League ever? Really?

Reading, Southampton and West Ham will be stronger than Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton, QPR had a strong finish and with their money should fare better next year and Lambert will whip Villa in to shape.

Make no mistake, next year will be tough.

To even consider it by means of league position is pretty much a no go... By cup? Maybe just maybe, but I doubt it very much.

[quote user="gravycanaries"]

[/quote] The weakest in years i doubt that some how i think its going to be one of the strongest in years, the 3 teams coming up are going to spend big due to there backers. Just wait for the ricky lambert s just like Grant Holt quotes all season

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Weakest Premier League ever? Really?

Reading, Southampton and West Ham will be stronger than Wolves, Blackburn and Bolton, QPR had a strong finish and with their money should fare better next year and Lambert will whip Villa in to shape.

Make no mistake, next year will be tough.[/quote]

undeniably next year will be tough any league is tough. but i think qpr soton and reading will be down next year. qpr had i would say the 7th or 8th strongest team on paper last year. money doesnt buy you sucess. And before you say man city the money helped but they won something 3 years after getting money. you need a good team ethic.

i read somewhere that soton were going to spend big bucks and get rid of half the team from last year and reading have said there going to spend a tiny bit from lower league but is there really anybody left? i really do fancy us to get a top ten finish this year and fancy us getting to a final in a cup competition

To be honest I see it as four groups1) Fighting for Champions League places - Man City/Man United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs2) Europa - Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle3) Midtable - Sunderland/Villa/Fulham/Stoke + probably West Ham/QPR can buy their way out of trouble4) Relegation scrap - Norwich/Wigan/Swansea/West Brom/Southampton/Reading/

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]To be honest I see it as four groups1) Fighting for Champions League places - Man City/Man United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs2) Europa - Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle3) Midtable - Sunderland/Villa/Fulham/Stoke + probably West Ham/QPR can buy their way out of trouble4) Relegation scrap - Norwich/Wigan/Swansea/West Brom/Southampton/Reading/[/quote]

very interesting.

can you elaborate on why you think we will be in a releagtion scrap.

I think in terms of the top of the table, it probably is one of the weakest in the past decade or so at least. Outside of perhaps the top four or five though, I think it is possibly one of the hardest. Look at how close it was amongst the bottom 10 or 12 for most of last season. And I do think that the teams coming up are stronger than the ones who went down. However, we also saw with QPR that spending power doesn''t necessarily equate to strong performances at this end of the table.

Can Hughton take us to Europe? Next season I don''t think so. But there''s no reason why in a couple of years we can''t be up there challenging for a Europe League place.

Unless one of the top 5 wins either the league or FA cup, then only 5th place gets into the Europa league. There''s the possibility through the fair play league, but that''s slim.

I''d be happy for us to finish anywhere from 17th - 10th, and have a reasonable cup run.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Our only objective next season should be to stay in the Premiership, some of you guys just aim too high.[/quote]Exactly. The naivety on this forum is incredible at times. I would still probably take 17th this season. We are NOT an established Premier League club. Asking whether 7th is a realistic finishing position is totally absurd.

Next season? No, next season is consolidating what we''ve got and bringing in a couple faces to shore up the squad.

HOWEVER: The board have said we will be debt-free at the end of this season, regardless of whether we stay up. The operating potential for budget and wages in 3/4 years is something I''m quite excited about, and is the main reason I don''t understand Lambert leaving for Villa.

I know we''ll be looking at expand ing CR, but even then the financial model we have should allow for an increasing in budget/wages.

I think this is more a "Where will we be in 5 years time?" thought

European football is a bit over-optimistic next season. I like to think we’ll do OK again – meaning we finish around 14th place and avoid any sort of relagation panic. Next season is one of Premiership consolidation ready for a bigger push in 2013/14.

If Hughton does take us to Europe, Yellows should be renamed in his honour -

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_705-Iz874wo/TA_kWM72WTI/AAAAAAAAAoA/USIy837G0zQ/s1600/31482-hi-HootersGirls_Cake.jpg[/IMG]

It would be packed every night.  You wouldn''t get Tilly, Lapp and Morty out of the place[:P]

Lets not run before we can walk.

Give it a couple of years and you never know. If we finish mid-table again next season, I''d fully expect us to push on to try for Europa League.

I think it''s hard being a fan of a club that isn''t competing at the top of whichever league they are in but people are right, we need to be cautious in our hopes and really celebrate avoiding relegation this next season coming when that happens. Of course we could always be surprised but the Prem WILL be tough this year, tougher than last if we are realistic but the rewards will start to come once the club develop the stadium. Debt free and increased seating and improved budgets in the future comes at the price of toughing it out now.

Never say never in the life, but I would prefer to be realistic.

The main aim for next season has to be to get that second season under our belt and this should be enough. Some call this lacking in ambition but I see it as the opposite. A second season will pay off the debt enabling us to then ambitiously look forward to a long spell in the Premiership playing games in front of full houses in an enlarged stadium. Our plusses in this respect will be the level-headed approach to finances adopted by the current regime, our young and talented squad and our massive support. The minusses are, it won''t be easy.

I do not know if others share my thoughts here but I am slightly more confident that we can overcome ''second season syndrome'' with Hughton as manager than I would have been if Lambert had have stayed. I, like a few others, was beginning to feel a bit nervous about next season. I am less so now.  It is totally unrealistic as CH hasn''t even picked up a pen in anger, so it may just be down to a feeling that there may be a need for a ''breathy of fresh air'' to waft through the corridors of Carrow Road.

Paul Lambert had it right.    The only objective has to be to play as well as you can.  To do the best you can.   Of course we would like to be in Europe. We would like to stay in the premiership. These things are good for the club.    But the only target for the team is to do the best they can.  If they do that they will more than likely succeed in doing well.

Simples.

I very much doubt that we could ever qualify for the Champions league. The only way we could play in Europe would be via the Europa league.

Given the number of games played in the Europa league, it would mean playing Thursdays and Sundays for a lot of the season . We would almost need two squads to compete and simply can''t afford that. Playing in the Europa league last season arguably stretched Birmingham last season to the extent that they failed to gain Promotion. Good Job really, we may not have been able to attract Chris Hughton had they gone up !

Too soft to take a club like City very far and I give him one and a half seasons at Carrow Road.He''s a really nice guy though and will get on with Delia just fine.

Personally, I think a good spot to aim for is mid table. I''d be very happy with a 10th to 14th place. Realistically, we''re a few years off Europe or home cup finals, but never say never. If Hughton can build on the momentum we''ve gained from the Lambert era then I would see it as a reasonable 5-10year target. I''m very excited by Hughton''s appointment, I think he''ll serve us well, however our priority has to be building a solid premiership foundation which will take us forward in the long term.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]To be honest I see it as four groups1) Fighting for Champions League places - Man City/Man United/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs2) Europa - Liverpool/Everton/Newcastle3) Midtable - Sunderland/Villa/Fulham/Stoke + probably West Ham/QPR can buy their way out of trouble4) Relegation scrap - Norwich/Wigan/Swansea/West Brom/Southampton/Reading/[/quote]i agree

I think this is probably the club''s biggest season since we were relegated from the Prem in 1995.

Survive in the Prem for a third year and we can begin to think of ourselves as a Premier League team. The debt will be almost paid off and the club will be in its best position for almost 20 years.

Get relegated and the heady Lambert era will be a distant memory.

So on that basis I would be delighted with a 14th or 15th place finish in what will definitely be a stronger league next year.

Possibly, but it means that several other things must be right. The present squad does not have enough for a top four finish. Consequently muchwill depend on transfer policies and budgets. I doubt whether a few more "bargain" signings from lower divisions will turn us into a top table team. (Lambert''s comment about few nuggets left down there is a reflection of this.) Team spirit and commitment will take you only so far, as we discovered this season.

So to challenge the big boys will need relatively big spending. We are not there yet, but who knows where we may be in a few years in the premiership? We may be able to consider a higher wages policy and larger transfer fees. In the past we have taken risks and paid out what was then big money - Ashton and Earnshaw, for example. We are well on the way to paying off the debt, so the position of spending more may come sooner than we expect.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."]Too soft to take a club like City very far and I give him one and a half seasons at Carrow Road.

He''s a really nice guy though and will get on with Delia just fine.
[/quote]

i bet the last 3 years have been awful for you not being able to justify any negativity.. lamberts walk out must be manor from heaven for you [:D]