Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

- Chris Martin, another chance?

As an out-and-out Premier League striker, i''m really not sure. He is a good finisher though and I definitely think there''s a possibility of repackaging him as an attacking midfield option. Hopefully Hughton will have a good look during pre-season and see if it''s possible to integrate him.

I would really like to see him come good and be a 20 goal plus strikers in the premiers. But let''s be realistic its not going to happen.

Was competent at best at Palace last season. Can not see him cutting it either up front or in midfield.

OTBC

I think we should keep him ... why sell him for around £ 500,000 which is a figure suggested somewhere , I think he will rise to the challenge if given a fair crack . If he doesn''t make it , sell him in January .

Yawn Yawn yawn!

This subject has been disscussed many times before on here!

I find it rather disturbing that some Norwich fans think Chris Martin can still make it at Norwich!

Brilliant half season for us back in 07 then nothing till the League 1 campaign when he was outstanding then he done a competant job in the 2011 promotion season and in his few cameo appearances didn''t look anywhere near like being capable of making an impression!

Aparently many Palace fans were unimpressed with him last season!

Lambert and Culverhouse are pretty good judges of character and whats happened to Chris Martin in their time says it all!

Apart from anything else Chris Martin has had enough time to prove himself with Norwich and for his benefit he needs to move elswhere to move his career on!

A previous poster said something which hit the nail on the head  and I''d never thought of myself. - If Chris Martin was playing for another club at his true level either mid to Lower Championship club or higher League 1 team, would we be looking at him thinking he''d be a good signing for us?

The answer to the above is a big NO!

He had 3 starts, 70 mintues against WBA (below-average with little service), 70 against Chelsea (great performance), 70 against Stoke (its Stoke ffs, he hates sky-ball and he is a midget compared to Shawcross / Woodgate / Huth!) and about 5 against Man united.Judging by the performances that I have been and seen him for Palace, he is well worth keeping, as Chris can now play in attacking midfield roles as well as a out-and-out striker. (7 goals in 26 starts from Midfield is great)IMO Chris did not get a fair run-out compared to the rest of the squad (i.e. Wilbs, Jackson) -  He has unproven quality, and it pains me to hear when people have said "he had his chance and he squandered it blah blah" [:|] 3 starts and one bad game, and apparently he isn''t welcome back. Give him time, we loved him in L1, and he was just unfortunate in feb 2011 to pick up that injury.[:(]

The Rock - great post mate, it''s exactly how I feel.

Grantroeder......., great post too mate, very powerful question at the end.

It''s only because of our rapid success that we have this problem, which is a great thing. I feel he hasn''t had a proper chance - I don''t know if he''s good enough but I know he''s better than the majority think.

[quote user="barclay seats 4849 "]I think we should keep him ... why sell him for around £ 500,000 which is a figure suggested somewhere , I think he will rise to the challenge if given a fair crack . If he doesn''t make it , sell him in January .[/quote]

To help pay the transfer fee or wages of a better player - that''s why you''d sell him for £500k.

Chris Martin is a good player but we did very well without him last season and we only want to get better. Having him in the team now would be taking a backwards step or two.

If Holt leaves , we have Morison , Vaughan , Jackson and C Martin , without major strengthening that''s got relegation written all over it . Jackson is ok as back up , Vaughan you just know will more than not be injured, Martin just is not up to the standard , he''s only barely good enough at Championship level and who would really be confident with the much maligned Morison as our NO1 ? . We need to spend some serious pennies striker wise , even more so than at the back.

Gadzooks!  His work rate on the field when he had his chance early last season was poor.  He stood around too much waiting for the ball to come to him.  Not good enough.    We''ve moved on.  Pl''s moved on. GH could be moving on.  Let Martin move on..

I remember Berbatov being described as lazy and not being interested as well...I personally welcome CM back into the squad, he''s not a first team starter, but he does offer options we don''t have in abundance elsewhere.The ''Wes'' role behind the strikers is ideal of CM, even if he plays it in a very different way to Wes. I''d argue that he''d probably score more than Jackson would over the season, but Jackson would give us more mobility and a higher overall work-rate (even if half of it was pointless).Would we go out and sign CM from another side? Probably not, but I''d argue that''s because we want to focus our transfer dealings on key squad additions instead of squad players.For a fair price I''d let him move on, but less than a mil and I think he''s worth having here instead.

i think it''s significant the palarse are thinking of signing wilbraham rather than trying to get martin back, so it would appear that they don''t rate him that highly.

[quote user="star_manic"]i think it''s significant the palarse are thinking of signing wilbraham rather than trying to get martin back, so it would appear that they don''t rate him that highly.[/quote]

Wilbraham is an all action give it your all striker.   Martin is a stand around trying to look good footballer who hasn''t found his best position yet, or what to do with it.     The jury is out.