Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Our future Premier League status and Board strategy

I''ve beem watching the events of the past week or so with great interest of course but at some point you have to move on, forget almost, the amazing things Lambert has enabled in his 3 years. I was interested too however to learn that the board have also had a major hand in the buying of players strategy .....younger, hungry championship or league 1. Makes great sense....buy for 2m and soon they are worth at least 5 or maybe 6m.

Anyway.....we have Ruddy, Howson, Ayala, Tierney, Pilkington, Vaughan, Surman, E Bennett and R Bennett - all aged between 20 and 25 I think. I reckon these could form a useful core of players and if they stay together for a year or two we could build a really good team. Of course there are other quality players, a bit older, and it''s interesting that out of all of these Russell Martin has got a quickly arranged new contract. The board sees him as a longer term stalwart, potential club captain perhaps?

I agree with McNally about length of contract issue (if the rumour is true) that great though GH is, we may well have seen him in his true prime this year and last. He is evidently not the future of the club. The younger ones are.

With the debt being cleared this next season, a manager of pedigree in place, a core of talent already in place and longer term plans for stadium expansion and international marketing ....we are in a very good position. Why should we sell really good assets like Howson, Ruddy, Pilkington etc. yes, Lambert should have stayed for this net new phase but he was never NCFC through and through.

Anyone else agree with me that we have actually got a great platform to build upon? I do see another challenging season ahead, but don''t honestly think of relegation like last year,like a poster or two here does. 15th again will be my prediction. I believe the board are BUILDING a real infrastructure around our young talent. And with 20m or so this year to support it.

Sorry if my positive post doesn''t chime with all the worry about Culverhouse etc but he will be gone soon I reckon. We have much to look forward to whilst heand PL look to their next ''project'' which is mostly about his career.

To the people talking about Europe...why not. If not this year them 2014 with payers that know each other and have formed a great team ethic. Reminding us of the Walker 93 era.

Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.[/quote]

Thought we did. He obviously thought that would not happen so had to try to put some spin on it. I suspect he agreed before Lambert went to follow him to Villa. The feelings amongst Villa fans is he will be signing this week.

It concerns me that with other issues as well that Lambert is trying to make our club the laughing stock of English football. I am sure that the players and mr Hughton will show this is not the case in the most important place - The pitch

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.[/quote]The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise. Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?

Yes, good positive and well-thought out O/P, but I want to plant  your post in this forum again twelve months from now.

The Board and McNally (and PL) performed a masterful balancing act last season between expenditure and income, achieving good results and a good profit. Level-headed, I would like to call it.

We desperately need another year of the same and it should, in theory, be made more attainable by a little loosening of the purse strings. It won''t be easy though.

Once the dust of recent weeks has fully settled and the outcome clearer and once the external debt is written off, we can then be more expansive in many ways and we will then find out if NCFC are to be the force in English football that we all aspire to. 

It is a great post, we also have the new youth academy status which in a few years time will hopefully be fruitful.I do believe that Holty has got a good contract and that the two more years is actually right. The last thing we want is a player a potential shadow of himself on big money with little selling on value and then desperately trying to get strikers in. The best thing is to bring in strikers now, who can learn from Holt if he stays or if he moves on use his money to get those quality members in now and build around those young foundation blocks.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Shaker Maker"]Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.[/quote]The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise. Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?[/quote]You''re clearly never going to give them any credit so quite frankly I''m not going to argue with you.

[quote user="smooth"]It is a great post, we also have the new youth academy status which in a few years time will hopefully be fruitful.

I do believe that Holty has got a good contract and that the two more years is actually right. The last thing we want is a player a potential shadow of himself on big money with little selling on value and then desperately trying to get strikers in. The best thing is to bring in strikers now, who can learn from Holt if he stays or if he moves on use his money to get those quality members in now and build around those young foundation blocks.
[/quote] 

Yes Smooth, but with Grant Holt on-board have a greater chance of surviving next season. To what extent is arguable, but it would, for sure, be a greater chance IMO.

A ''shadow'' on big money is a small price to pay against the benefits of overcoming ''second season syndrome.''

Another factor, I feel that GH''s contribution is not just confined to the pitch. He is a valuable captain in other ways too.

Would we be where we are without Grant Holt, I do not believe so, I think he deserves the money he has earned it, maybe on a downward spiral doesn''t look like it though.  Grant always wanted to join Carlisle at some time if he fails to do it he can go there obviously will get no transfer fee but GH off the wage bill.  Will do much for a good feeling going into next season.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]
The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise.

Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?
[/quote]

You''re clearly never going to give them any credit so quite frankly I''m not going to argue with you.
[/quote]

What you must understand Shaker Maker is that as far as Cluck is concerned the last three years have been under stewardship of Bowkett and McNally with the Board playing no part and taking a back seat but now Lambert has gone and Holt might follow it is these other directors and i think you know who he means that have played a big part in them leaving.

[:''(]

lets be honest here Cluck will NEVER say anything positive about Norwich regardless of what happens as long as I have a hole in my a**e!!! He is only happy when moaning, so if we go boom and bust he will be happy won''t you mate!!!

afraid I support the boards stance, it is a tough stance. But Holty is the one who has brought this all on and I think he has punched above his weight. He is a key player, but htis key player will need to be replaced in due course and his reasonings for wanting his new contrat to me do not warrant this.He got an improved contract taking him through to the age of 33 and no doubt a pay rise and hence a pay rise for staying up this year. So that is two pay rises. If he thinks that the players we bring in now will be offered lesser contracts than him, he has another thing coming. We need quality and those that will develop.I believe the board are right, he may well sign which I have no problem with but at some point we will need to look at a replacement/replacements and this is our best time to get any money for him. Next season he will not have the media coverage he has had unless he plays like aguero.I understand he may make it easier to stay up next season but we are not a one man team, like we were with Hux. We are in a position where we can buy quality that would surpass G Holt and it is worth looking at.The board and being fair, 2 pay rises is good enough. They are providing Hughton with funds and support.I do not know what Hughton will have worked out needs improving, I still think it is the spine of the team with players coming in as a winger, another match winner from midfield and a full back. Lot to go through and so again very exciting.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Shaker Maker"]Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.[/quote]The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise. Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?[/quote]

1. First test was making a swift decision on Bryan Gunn and avoiding us being stuck in League 1 for years. Verdict: Passed
  2. Then they had to negotiate with creditors to prevent adminstration. Verdict: Passed
  3. Had to somehow find £1.2 million for Andrew Surman and other players despite being skint. Verdict: Passed
  4. Had to see off potential interest from Burnley. Verdict: Passed
  5. Do we pay over the odds for Mackail Smith who is bang average? Verdict: Passed
  6. Did they manage to settle Lambert down after he wanted to leave in summer 2011? Verdict: Passed
  7. Did they manage to find the money for every player Lambert asked for? Verdict: Passed
  8. Have they managed to find the best replacement available for Lambert? Verdict: Passed.

Well, I don''t think you need a "9" to convince me the Norwich''s success so far can not all be attributed to GH & PL. IMO, Norwich is being run very effectively and so much better than the years before McNally came on board. I don''t even really know the details behind McNally coming on board, it didn''t seem to be that well publicised!!Fact is, as pointed out on another post, Villa were quite keen on Hughton earlier.

Didn''t Doomy and Mumbles both resign upon relegation to L1 and then didn''t Roy Hodgson recommend McNally to his friend Delia?

[quote user="Jacko"]

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Shaker Maker"]Top notch post mate [Y]The Board have been superb but I feel that they are on the brink of making a mistake. Not with PL- as it''s in his nature to jump ship as he''s an ambitious guy and good luck to him- but with Holty.Yes he''s had his demands but why shouldnt he? He''s been immense for us, absolutely amazing. I would have given Holty the 3rd year. EVERY single time that Holty has been doubted he has proved his critics wrong.[/quote]The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise. Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?[/quote]

1. First test was making a swift decision on Bryan Gunn and avoiding us being stuck in League 1 for years. Verdict: Passed
  2. Then they had to negotiate with creditors to prevent adminstration. Verdict: Passed
  3. Had to somehow find £1.2 million for Andrew Surman and other players despite being skint. Verdict: Passed
  5. Do we pay over the odds for Mackail Smith who is bang average? Verdict: Passed
  6. Did they manage to settle Lambert down after he wanted to leave in summer 2011? Verdict: Passed
  7. Did they manage to find the money for every player Lambert asked for? Verdict: Passed
  8. Have they managed to find the best replacement available for Lambert? Verdict: Passed.
[/quote]1.  Smith gave Gunn the job and even a monkey would have sacked him after a 1-7 thrashing at home.2.  Putting giggly celebrity Delia Smith''s toy box into administration would have brought very bad publicity for the creditors. 3.  If an owner can''t scrape together enough pennies to buy a player they shouldn''t own a football club.4. Lambert was never going to Burnley. Popular myth. Paper hype.5. Buying Mackail Smith was never going to happen. Paper hype.6. Lambert was never going to leave in 2011. Paper hype.7. Lambert bought cheap because he had no option. The success of the signings was purely down to his management ability.8. Hughton is an unknown quantity and likely to be another Deliarite ''nice guy'' shoe-horned in without additional interviews.9. It''s all going to go tits up next season.

[quote user="Cluck Nose."][quote user="Jacko"]

[/quote]1.  Smith gave Gunn the job and even a monkey would have sacked him after a 1-7 thrashing at home.2.  Putting giggly celebrity Delia Smith''s toy box into administration would have brought very bad publicity for the creditors. 3.  If an owner can''t scrape together enough pennies to buy a player they shouldn''t own a football club.4. Lambert was never going to Burnley. Popular myth. Paper hype.5. Buying Mackail Smith was never going to happen. Paper hype.6. Lambert was never going to leave in 2011. Paper hype.7. Lambert bought cheap because he had no option. The success of the signings was purely down to his management ability.8. Hughton is an unknown quantity and likely to be another Deliarite ''nice guy'' shoe-horned in without additional interviews.9. It''s all going to go tits up next season.

[/quote]

1. Really how many teams have sacked their manager one game into the season?

2. What makes Norwich any different from Leeds, Ipswich, Portsmouth and many others who have into adminstration. If the creditors hadn''t been persuaded otherwise it would have happened.

3. Thats the reaction of a supporter who sounds very good at spending other people''s money.

4. Again crap. The board put out a strongly worded statement saying they would fight to retain him. They did and signed him on an improved deal to emphasise the point.  

5. What do you mean it was never going to happen? We on the verge on signing him but Peterborough moved the goalposts at the last minute. That wasn''t papertalk both sides acknowledge it could easily have happened.

6. How is it paper hype when one of your directors admits Lambert had a wobble in 2011.

7. Again utter crap. For starters £50 million was spent by Premier League club in January we accounted for £5 million of that. 10% of the overall total to get 2 very exciting young players in. Thats not bad going.

8. Again utter crap. Name me one candidate who is realistically better that we could have got. Infinitely better than Steven Clarke who West Brom have appointed. More experienced and much less of a gamble.

9. Its going to be very tough some good sides have come up. But we have a good nucleus of players. Some defensive strengthening and using Hughton''s managerial skills to smooth over the Holt situation and we can prosper again.

I am usually civil to people on this board. But cluck you total the biggest load of 5hite out of any poster on here.

Now you have gone and done it Jacko,looks like you are now in our gang. [:P] What size tee shirt would you like ?

1. Really how many teams have sacked their manager one game into the season?

2. What makes Norwich any different from Leeds, Ipswich, Portsmouth and many others who have into adminstration. If the creditors hadn''t been persuaded otherwise it would have happened.

3. Thats the reaction of a supporter who sounds very good at spending other people''s money.

4. Again crap. The board put out a strongly worded statement saying they would fight to retain him. They did and signed him on an improved deal to emphasise the point.  

5. What do you mean it was never going to happen? We on the verge on signing him but Peterborough moved the goalposts at the last minute. That wasn''t papertalk both sides acknowledge it could easily have happened.

6. How is it paper hype when one of your directors admits Lambert had a wobble in 2011.

7. Again utter crap. For starters £50 million was spent by Premier League club in January we accounted for £5 million of that. 10% of the overall total to get 2 very exciting young players in. Thats not bad going.

8. Again utter crap. Name me one candidate who is realistically better that we could have got. Infinitely better than Steven Clarke who West Brom have appointed. More experienced and much less of a gamble.

9. Its going to be very tough some good sides have come up. But we have a good nucleus of players. Some defensive strengthening and using Hughton''s managerial skills to smooth over the Holt situation and we can prosper again.

I am usually civil to people on this board. But cluck you total the biggest load of 5hite out of any poster on here.

If you want to post fairy stories expect them to be questioned as there''s not a scrap of fact in your ''list''..... just ''popular'' opinion. While you may disagree with my view of things I can assure you I won''t lose any sleep over it.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Now you have gone and done it Jacko,looks like you are now in our gang. [:P] What size tee shirt would you like ?[/quote]

By "What size tee shirt..........",  Tilly means, what''s your inner circle measurement?[;)]

Always wanted to be an inner circle member. I will happily take the t shirt. Size large.

Yeah I do resemble John Hartson in his latter days at Norwich. It is true.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]If you can possibly bring yourself to imagine Jan Molby x 2.5, then that''s me![/quote]

Never left the centre circle that man. But my god he could pass a ball.

What a load of clucking nonsense from Mr Nose.      Those chips on your shoulder are weighing you down too much - mind you if you lay some eggs to go with those chips, at least you won''t go hungry.

great post mate.

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="Cluck Nose."]
The Board has had very little to do thanks to the joy ride provided by Paul Lambert and Grant Holt. They paid peanuts and got lions.... but with money in the bank they failed to capitalise.

Their first real test has resulted in the loss of PL and GH..... so what''s so superb about them?
[/quote] great post mate.[/quote]

I think you two should get a room.[:D]

Money in the bank?What is the 9m external debt repayment in the audited accounts then?