Sign in to follow this  
Temp the Revelator

Shock revelation!

I have stayed away from these boards for a week or so now, as they were seriously beginning to depress me.  I also find myself in a state of utter disbelief at some of the views expressed on this board.  Now for the shock revelation:

I am a happy Norwich City fan!

Yes, that''s right, you DID hear me correctly.  Despite some lacklustre performances this season, and the fact that we looked like we were giving up a bit at Bolton, I am still a happy man.  Let me explain why;

• We have a forward-thinking Board of Directors at this football club who are planning for the LONG-TERM future.  This includes making the most of the club as a premises and facilities on non-match days.
  • We have one of the country''s best young managers, who has brought long-needed stability to an otherwise sinking ship.  Yes, he makes mistakes, but who can honestly hold their hands up and say they don''t?
  • Four years ago, it looked for all the world like we would be having to watch 2nd Division football at Carrow Road, and put up with more players like Derveld, De Waard & Carey etc.
  • We are in the Premiership - ok, probably not for long, but that''s where we are!
  • We have one of the country''s best young strikers in our team, who will only get better.
  • Huckerby, Francis, Green, Shackell, Drury.........they ALL play for Norwich City!
  • Full houses every week......
  • Well-respected by pretty much everyone.

I could go on, but most of you don''t want to read this anyway.  The way some people go on, you would think we had been in the Premiership for the last 15 years, and should be pushing for Champions League places. 

Supporting Norwich City was never supposed to be easy, no-one ever said that, but that''s why I chose them over ManUre, who my dad supported.  It''s the rollercoaster nature of promotion/relegation that makes it so great to be a football fan!

THANK GOODNESS - THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE WHO FEELS JUST LIKE ME

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE BEEN ON THE BOARD FOR A FEW DAYS - IT WAS SO DEPRESSING READING SOME OF THE POSTS FROM SO CALLED FANS - I AGREE WITH THE POST ABOVE 100% AS I AM SURE DO THE BOARD AND THOSE IN CHARGE AT NORWICH

YES WE ARE DISAPPOINTED TO BE WHERE WE ARE - WHICH AFTER OUR RECENT SUCCESSES OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS IS FULLY UNDERSTANDABLE - BUT AT LEAST WE NOW HAVE A STABLE CLUB - PLAYERS WHO TRY TO PLAY THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY - WITH THE RIGHT PASSION AND SUPPORT AT EVERY GAME.

IF WE DO GO DOWN - AND THAT IS NOT YET DECIDED - WE HAVE A STRONGER SQUAD THAN WE HAVE HAD FOR YEARS WITH A SUPERB GROUND AND MANAGEMENT THROUGHOUT

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE VERY SHORT MEMORIES

Not a shock revelation, just a dash of logic, most of which I agree with!! The only worry i have is with the training regime that does not get to grips with basics and the lack of ability in mid field to be more disciplined and get to the ball first, the everlasting retreat into the six yard area where danger lurks. Shackell is a revelation however , a tackler and a winner by nature in the old Duncan Forbes mould, thank the Lord!!!

I agree, lets also face the fact that on Sat we only conceded a fantastic goal and already we had missed 2 glorious opportunities. There by the grace of God etc.

quote :-"I have stayed away from these boards for a week or so now, as they were seriously beginning to depress me.  I also find myself in a state of utter disbelief at some of the views expressed on this board"

You sum up my own view exactly Templeton, thank you !

[quote]I have stayed away from these boards for a week or so now, as they were seriously beginning to depress me. I also find myself in a state of utter disbelief at some of the views expressed on this boar...[/quote]

Well I don''t agree, so yar boo sucks!.

Sorry Temps my old friend, but this sounds a bit ''yes man'' to me.

Sorry mate.

Well done Templeton, your thoughts echo mine, and I''ve stayed away mostly for much the same reason.

I can''t help feeling that we are exactly where I thought we would be. Surely no one realistically expected us to stay up - hoped, yes, but expected? After 9 years it was never going to happen and for me, this season was always about going up, grabbing the money, and going down stronger. For the plan to work we have to get promoted again next season and then have a better shot at staying up, as has been said many times before... like a Charlton or, dare I say it, a Bolton.

I don''t want to change managers, not yet. Anyone new would have to start again building their own team. And I''m not sure we would get anyone better... but I guess there are plenty of people around who would rather twist than stick. For me, as long as we keep making forward progress (such as signing Ashton, bringing Francis and Shackell through as top players this season) then I''ll stick with the board and management we have.

Ama

[quote]Well I don''t agree, so yar boo sucks!. Sorry Temps my old friend, but this sounds a bit ''yes man'' to me. Sorry mate.[/quote]

Now come on Wiz, you know I am not a ''yes man'', nor will I ever be.  I still remain neither pro no anti Worthy, I just see him as the best possible option for the club at this point in time.  If, come November things haven''t improved, then it may be time to think about a change, but that time is certainly not now.

I just try to take a reasoned, balanced view of things, and in comparison to any time in the last 10 years, I am happy about the condition of my beloved football club.  Of course things could be better, they almost always could - I''m sure if you look, you''ll find unhappy Chelsea fans somewhere - but they could certainly be a hell of a lot worse.  Happy?  Certainly.  Yes man?  No, sir, not me.

But aren''t the "manic depressives" just offering explanations as to what has gone wrong and why we do seem to have made less progress than we should? Nobody could possibly deny that we are better off than 10 years ago but if you always compare yourself to the worst you never make progress.

Sure, we were never going to win anything or get any higher than 16th/17th, but its the manner in which we seem to have failed to adapt  very well which folks on here find frustrating. Its legitimate to ask why and seek always to improve, some have extreme views on how to achieve that but most of it is intelligent debate.

I am still loving the experience of being back in the top flight, I don''t want it to be another 9 year wait though.

[quote]Now come on Wiz, you know I am not a ''yes man'', nor will I ever be. I still remain neither pro no anti Worthy, I just see him as the best possible option for the club at this point in time. If, come...[/quote]

Sorry Temps, I was very harsh, so please accept my humble apologises.

I didn''t think clearly before posting, you''re certainly not a ''yes man'' mate, it just came out all wrong my friend.  

Well said Temp,from most of the threads its hard to gauge the age of some posters ,over the last couple of weeks I have guessed that the average age must be quite young ,cos if you are going to get depressed over our current situation they must be young ,have some sympathy for us olduns we''ve been through times that would have had you slashing yer wrists!

Templeton et al

Well, I take a 46 year view and I am very unhappy. I don''t like being embarrassed.

This blind faith thing that Worthy is the best thing since sliced bread is dangerous. He''e been good for 3 years, but pretty much a disaster this year. He learns too slow, and sometimes not at all.

Edworthy, Holt, Fleming every week - give me a break.

No trust in Helveg, Saffri, McKenzie, Shackell (fan pressure made him play the latter two regularly).

As for his after match interviews - a psychological disaster.

I see about 6 Prem matches a week and in the last 8-10 weeks we have been really poor compared with Blackburn, Palace, Southampton and West Brom in terms of effectiveness. 

Any entrepreneur worth his salt knows that Worthy is operating in the comfort zone and needs shaking up and given some short term objectives. 

The real disaster is  that we could have stayed up this year - and all that would mean.

The club needs to firm up its approach in so many ways.

Nice guys rarely win. Unfortunately. not that I am recommending anything contrary to the ''Norwich way.'' 

But please Board stiffen your backbones and those of the coaching staff.

OTBC.

I am 42 and am also unhappy at the manner of our recent defeats. Nobody in their right minds thought that this season would be easy but it has to be said that we have made it even harder than it should have been. I like worthy but his insistence on playing Holt and Fleming every week when they are not good enough is beyond me. Many of the goals we have conceded recently have been due to basic mistakes, poor marking and poorly timed tackles. We do look slightly better with Shackle at the back but Fleming is always prone to make mistakes which we can ill afford at this level. It''s very easy to say that we''ll come back stronger if we go down but that wretched league is a nightmare to escape from and theres no guarantee that we''ll come straight back. Still I have renewed my season ticket and will continue to do so but it would be nice if we made a bit more of a fight to stay up to make whats left of the season a bit more interesting.

When I saw the title "Shock revelation!", i thought the topic of conversation would be that once again as predicted, it is Fleming who has come out publicly (on the pinkun homepage) saying that we can still stay up. This is almost as regular a feature as Worthy''s post-match interviews.

I am with you 100% ,I look at this board less and less as I am fed up with the moaners,

Lets stick with what we''ve got, we would all have settled for this 3 years ago ! and we still have a chance of staying up

Well said.... Like many others on here.. Im a reader and not a poster....If i had a team rating for reading the posts I think I would be well over the 2500 mark. All this negativity or constructive criticism is just boring... where is this seasons "Cheeseboard?"

Come on this is what these forums are about.. we should be able to moan for the saturday night and sunday.. and then get back to the better things in football...the laughs and memories not dwell on the facts that our team is not good enough to keep us up.. I accepted that at the start of the season and more than happy with the efforts....so no complaints here

Also while I am on one of my rare posts... The Great Wiz you bore me with your predictabality... you can never stand by your 1st thought ''cause as soon as anyone barks back you step back... Perhaps " On 2nd thoughts Wiz" might be more appropriate...

[quote]Templeton et al Well, I take a 46 year view and I am very unhappy. I don''t like being embarrassed. This blind faith thing that Worthy is the best thing since sliced bread is dangerous. He''e been goo...[/quote]

BlyBlyBabes - yes, you''re absolutely right, blind faith in Worthy would be a very dangerous thing, but nowhere have I said that is what we should all have.  I just feel that in the big scheme of things, progress has been made this season, whatever other posters may think, and I remain happy with the state of my football club. 

There haven''t been too many occasions this season when I have been embarassed by the team (Charlton away, Blackburn away notable exceptions).  Mostly a team of good honest professionals who are better suited to Coca Cola league football have given of their best - it''s just not good enough, unfortunately.  And while I acknowledge that team selection frequently baffles me, as does our insistence of both defence and midfield camping out on our 18 yard box (when we have the ball!), I don''t see how changing the manager now would improve things.

Everyone is entitled to their views, yes, but lately this board has looked more like one populated by ManUre, Wet Sham or Wolves fans, not City fans.  We were never realistically going to find it easy this season, so our current position comes as no great surprise - and if it''s Charlton we are modelling ourselves on, we need stability right now.

Rant over.

i''m sorry then must only be upset by relegation, watching the team underperform against the two teams we were far better than last season. watching the players gutless football. watching a team waste a great opportunity to push on.  I''m sorry but backwards is never forwards, backwards is backwards.

All - we have no reason to moan because the boards''s strategy is being acted out exactly - no more, no less. What is happening was expected to happen. Therefore, theres no call at all for worthy''s head. 

Last summer the Board looked realistically and what it expected to achieve and planned a course for relegation whilst maximising its revenue take. If you recall, we publicly stated that we would follow the Charlton model, set a small player budget and bought accordingly - experienced players from the premier and scandanavian football. We were never going to set the world alght with such a cautious strategy.

We wouldn''t hve known that the premiership this year was going to be as soft as it is. Palace pretty much adopted the same strategy as us - why wouldn''t they - they weren''t to know AJ was going to do as well as he has. And West Brom pushed out the boat and spent given this was their bounceback. Again, entirely predictable. And Worthy, sensing in January we could perhaps make it, got the money to buy Ashton. Great decision - great tactics - nearly paid off.

It looks as if all three will go back down. So were we wrong. Sure, with hindsight - but you can''t have that ahead of time.

I agree that Worthy has been over loyal to some players but otherwise he has done well with what he had. I am surprised so many moaners believe him to be defensive, dour, unadventurous. If anything, the brand of football we plan is to open and too attacking for this division. We have often had 3 in attack when most teams play 1.

Come on, he''s done a reasonable job. And now he has a seasons premiership experience. He''ll be aware of the overreliance on some players and I think you''ll see a change. We saw that with Drury. And it took some doing to drop the captain of Denmark when he clearly wasn''t performing. He''s still learning but I can see no reason for dumping him.

[quote]All - we have no reason to moan because the boards''s strategy is being acted out exactly - no more, no less. What is happening was expected to happen. Therefore, theres no call at all for worthy''s hea...[/quote]

Ayrton, do you think the club has moved forward this season under Worthy?

Has Worthy moved forward from where he was as a manager a year ago?

Personally I am concerned in his ability to learn this season and to notice that performances on the training pitch may not be translated to performances on the actual pitch.

Personally I''m also disappointed, not by the lack of ambition, but by the general attitude that we are where we expected to be at the start of the season. I''d like to think the club had given it it''s best shot, within it''s prudent financial constraints.

I remain unconvinced. More so given the poor state of the bottom half of the Premiership this season. That 17th place doesn''t seem like it was too hard a task given the correct mindset from players and staff alike.

"i''m sorry then must only be upset by relegation, watching the team underperform against the two teams we were far better than last season. watching the players gutless football. watching a team waste a great opportunity to push on.  I''m sorry but backwards is never forwards, backwards is backwards."

Correct me I''m wrong but did we not beat West Brom at home this season (maybe not a great performance - but a win is a win - we''d have taken several more of those performances in return for three points instead of good performances (e.g against Tottenham etc) and a loss) and draw with them away. Last year we drew at home and lost away.

Against CP we drew the first game of the season compared with a victory last season earned with if I remember rightly a last minute goal, and was considered a bit fortunate. And that was prior to Dowie really gettting to grips with his team. We''re yet to play them away but we lost there last year when we were going well.

I don''t see how we''ve underperformed against these teams. Yes, they are finishing the season stronger than us, but ultimately one or probably both will come down with us.

The simple fact is we have not been good enough, and yes, maybe mistakes have been made - player selection, tactics, purchases, etc have not always been spot on.

I don''t know if this has been mentioned on here before (probably ad nauseum) but I wonder how things would have been different if we''d spent £2m on Crouch pre-season rather than £3m on Ashton in January. Why was this money available then but not pre-season (given that much was gambled on TV money etc)? Crouch is saving Southampton. We knew he fitted in with our team, and given how much he enjoyed playing here, I think most of us assume he would have come here over Southampton.

Even so I believe if we can keep this squad together, and the togetherness we had last season has not been battered out of us by lack of winning, we will be right up there next year.

sorry mike I erm missed something with your arguement there. If I missed the point then feel free to correct me, but i''m sensing that your claim is that because we had improved results over palace and west brom this season we''ve improved. that makes no sense whatsoever. last season we came upas champions, this season we go down bottom, something has happened to the club and that''s going backwards. premier to championship is backwards in anyone''s book surely.

[quote]I have stayed away from these boards for a week or so now, as they were seriously beginning to depress me. I also find myself in a state of utter disbelief at some of the views expressed on this boar...[/quote]

hey your spot on with all yuve said you couldnt have put it over better.