Sign in to follow this  
Officer Tillys small Willies (Nigel,lappy)

Lambert puts his stamp on Villa

Did anyone else see yesterday how Lambert has put his stamp on Villa by asking for the home and away dugouts to be switched around. They have probably been the same for years yet the ''''messy-er''''  has asked for them to be switched. is he starting next seasons mind games early. If so maybe hes REALLY worried for his chances with viler [:O]

Get over Lambert! He just wants to move dug outs so Villa''s is closer to the Holte End, to try and harness the power of the fans. Get the Holte going, to get the rest going. No biggy! Forget about about Lambert, it''s all about a new era now.

Not a surprise as he does seem to stress the importance of the crowd and in particular, the ''louder'' areas of the ground. Wouldn''t be surprised if he tried this at carrow rd, as he always directed his speeches and celebrations towards the Barclay.

Martin O''Neil has had the away fans moved at Sunderland, from behind the goal to one of the side stands. He argues that putting fans behind goals increases atmosphere and has more affect on the teams. It''s just things managers do to try and eek out that bit more from their teams, nothing else.

[quote user="Gareth"]Martin O''Neil has had the away fans moved at Sunderland, from behind the goal to one of the side stands. He argues that putting fans behind goals increases atmosphere and has more affect on the teams. It''s just things managers do to try and eek out that bit more from their teams, nothing else.[/quote] I should of know M.O.N had done it, well that explains it all then lol [:)]

lamberts time would be better spent seeking a replacement for Culverhouse and deciding what to do with the shower of $hite he''s inherited at Villa than fooling about with Feng Shui and 60 second makeovers.

My source tells me that all the empty seats made it difficult to hear the Holte end from the other half.

"Empty seats my lord, empty seats"

Also, Lambert''s Lions, LOL

Sad how spiteful some of our fans are towards Lambert. Get over it you bunch of muppets.

Too right, no one knows all the in''s and out''s of his conversation''s with McNally in the days leading up to his resignation. This guy performed some miracles for us and I''ll always remember the last 3 years with immeasurable fondness, was one hell of a ride. I was f**kin gutted that he left yeah, but there seems to be even anger towards him on here from some people.

I don''t get the bitterness, I''m not impressed with how he left but don''t we remember how pathetic Colchester fans were after he left them?

Do we want to be like that? Or do we want to get right behind Chrissy H?!

I think a lot of posters are mistaking bitterness for people just being a bit p****ed off at how things have ended.

Personally I believe Lambert brought us the best 3 yeaars since the European days under Walker and for that I thank him and will remember him fondly.

However nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him fail miserably and take the Vile midland club into the Championship. Its all about Norwich and Chris Hughton now and I really believe we are in for a better season than our midland "friends" 

I don''t think the bitterness towards lambert is over the fact that he left us but more to do with how he appears to have actively colluded with Villa in an attempt to cheat us out of compo and make us what the Villa fans perceive to be a laughing stock over his contract and those of his backroom staff.If he''d just gone then fine but it''s the snidy 100% self serving way he does his business I don''t like so whilst my views on what he achieved for himself whoops I meant us remain unchanged his behaviour recently has led me to reappraise my evaluation of him as a person and being honest is there anyone who can say that he''s gone up in their own estimation as a result of the way he seized his move through the media?

[quote user="paul moy"]It just worries me that Villa have a Holte end......[/quote]

It worries me more that we''ve still got the Horse''s tail. [;)]

EXACTLY..... I''m not bitter or even pissed off (for the record since the appointment of Hughton) I just want to see the man who was the best appointment to Norwich ( see i said it) in my lifetime FAIL at anywhere else they go in England. Its not being bitter its loving my team. So as for saying im bitter/spiteful your well wide of the mark Hogesar and Ronnie!! [:@]

[quote user="Grantham Canary"]EXACTLY..... I''m not bitter or even pissed off (for the record since the appointment of Hughton) I just want to see the man who was the best appointment to Norwich ( see i said it) in my lifetime FAIL at anywhere else they go in England. Its not being bitter its loving my team. So as for saying im bitter/spiteful your well wide of the mark Hogesar and Ronnie!! [:@][/quote]Indeed, you could say that about any other manager in England. You don''t want any of the other team maangers in the Premier League to do well, fair point, but don''t need to have topics on Villa and Lambert every other thread on here. New era with Hughton, lets look to the future now. OTBC!

Its becoming rather annoying how some posters are stating about having grievances towards Lambert. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and at this moment in time think he is the biggest scumbag going.

Thats not to say it will change over time. I respect that my 20yrs of supporting the club,he, along with mike walker have been the best managers i have witnessed at the club.

But now what he has done in those past 3yrs means nothing now in the manner in which he left.

Its becoming rather annoying how some posters are stating about having grievances towards Lambert. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and at this moment in time think he is the biggest scumbag going.

Thats not to say it will change over time. I respect that my 20yrs of supporting the club,he, along with mike walker have been the best managers i have witnessed at the club.

But now what he has done in those past 3yrs means nothing now in the manner in which he left.

Like other posters have said ''i support the club''! In the same way with players who come and go. There''s nothing more satisfying to see them go elsewhere and fail and realise the grass isn''t always greener.

My only reaction is that I wish neither Paul Lambert nor Aston Villa the best of luck, as I feel that there has been something devious about the whole business.

As for best manager. The John Bond days were fun, champagne-style with a big cigar to boot. MacDougall/Boyer, unplayable. To say nothing of the dreaded Duncan Forbes and KK.

Plus JB loved Blondie''s music at the time (he selected it on a radio programme, I seem to remember) and I too was in love with Debbie Harry sooooooooooo much. 

I hope we don''t switch the dugouts around at Carrow Road!

I''m of the firm opinion that sandwiching the opposition management team between our dugout and a noisy Barclay Stand is more likely to dampen the opposition management team''s spirits. Let them hear the Snakepit at full volume too!...

[quote user="hogesar"]Sad how spiteful some of our fans are towards Lambert. Get over it you bunch of muppets.
[/quote]

[Y]

Evening all,

As the username suggests I''m a Villa fan visiting on your turf and here to talk about all things football and yes that includes Lambert and Hughton.

I certainly understand why many Norwich fans are bitter, angry call it what you will towards both Villa and Lambert. In all honesty I would feel the same as I have done when we''ve lost some of our better players and as no doubt Colchester fans felt when you boys pinched Lambert. That is football.

There were so many Villa related threads I wasn''t quite sure which one to post in :D

Anyway as I say, despite the ill feeling towards my club I''m here to talk football not to bicker. I spend a fair amount of time in your part of the world and love it so happy to talk about both our clubs.

I''ve always liked Norwich, even more since you recruited Hughton from Birmingham because he is a good manager and a nice bloke. Hated seeing him on the other side of the city.

[quote user="VisitingVillan"]Evening all,

As the username suggests I''m a Villa fan visiting on your turf and here to talk about all things football and yes that includes Lambert and Hughton.

I certainly understand why many Norwich fans are bitter, angry call it what you will towards both Villa and Lambert. In all honesty I would feel the same as I have done when we''ve lost some of our better players and as no doubt Colchester fans felt when you boys pinched Lambert. That is football.

There were so many Villa related threads I wasn''t quite sure which one to post in :D

Anyway as I say, despite the ill feeling towards my club I''m here to talk football not to bicker. I spend a fair amount of time in your part of the world and love it so happy to talk about both our clubs.

I''ve always liked Norwich, even more since you recruited Hughton from Birmingham because he is a good manager and a nice bloke. Hated seeing him on the other side of the city.[/quote]
Evening. and welcome. Please try not to wind up the locals here as they''re usually all too busy winding each other up.
So. What are you realistically hoping for next season under Lambert, and how long will the majority of your fans give him before getting impatient if he is not an instant success?
Personally, although it hurts to say it as it still stings a little in spite of landing Hughton, I think he''ll do well for you just as he did for us. It''s just a shame the way the whole affair has been conducted regards compensation, resignation etc...

Just to add...although I think he will do well for you, I don''t expect miracles because I believe what happened under Lambert at Norwich was a kind "perfect storm" if you like...a combination of factors starting with the appointment of McNally to the board, 1-7 loss to Lambert''s Col U on the opening day in the 3rd division, the sacking of Gunn, the poaching of Lambert, the goals of Holt etc...that built a momentum that became unstoppable. The whole team and the support were full of belief.
I don''t really see that happening with Villa because the expectations just might be too high to begin with, and if there is not instant success then it will be hard to build any momentum there. 

Thanks for the welcome.

I''m not here to wind anyone up, I will give my views on things though and just hope that people take them as they are intended, as just being my views and nothing more.

What am I hoping for next season? To be honest nothing really other than to actually enjoy it and enjoy football again.

The last two seasons under Houllier and McLeish have been the most joyless I can recall in 30 years supporting the club.

Forget all the stuff about the fact we disliked McLeish because he came from Birmingham, that really is only half or a quarter of the story.

So next season I''m just looking forward to a season under a manager we can respect, who tries to win games and can win games and who doesn''t make me hate football.

If Lambert can get us up into the region of 8th - 11th next season in his first season most Villa fans I know will be more than happy considering the last two seasons.

Despite what the media would have you believe, we don''t normally turn quickly on managers. Lambert has almost universal backing from our fans and I think most will be firmly behind him for a good 2 or 3 years to allow him time to build his own team.

As for how the whole thing has been handled, I agree its a bit of a mess but my view on it probably differs from most on here so I won''t pass any further comment.

[quote user="Loopzilla"]I don''t really see that happening with Villa because the expectations just might be too high to begin with, and if there is not instant success then it will be hard to build any momentum there. 
[/quote]

Believe me there isn''t a great deal of expectation at the club after the last two years.

The days of dreaming about breaking into the top 4 are long since over, we are just wanting to get back in the top half for the moment.

Personally I think that is something Lambert will be able to achieve as we aren''t as bad as McLeish managed to make us look.

Re. Lambert, I think there''s ambiguity about this clause in his contract and that''s the source of debate. Here''s hoping it''s solved nice and promptly!

What do you think it was under McLeish? Without drastic change Villa from last day of the season looked relegation material, but then again that was last day.

I know there were injuries, but, was it just players not buying into his philosophy? I know there was the fan opposition too.

Did seem a bizarre choice from the off. Seemed a bit of a panic appointment after Martinez didn''t come.

There is lots of talk of clauses and breach of contract but the reality is none of (City or Villa) really have a clue, I''m sure it will be resolved one way or another soon.

The main problem with McLeish was that quite simply he was a terrible terrible manager who played the most negative, gutless football I''ve ever had the misfortune to watch.

We won 4 home games last season and spent most the season playing with 6 defenders in the starting line up hoping to keep the score down.

The media were so caught up with the fact he came from Birmingham not to realise that while that was an issue it wasn''t the main one. The main one is that is was doing a horrible job, this is a man who managed to finish 3rd with Rangers!!!

You are right we did look like a relegation side at Carrow Road but we were like that all season, I was there and he would have taken us down next season. In fact he would have taken us down this season had it not been for the fact there were some terrible sides in the league this season.

You are right it was a bizarre appointment and it was panic by a chairman who didn''t really know what he was looking for.

[quote user="VisitingVillan"]There is lots of talk of clauses and breach of contract but the reality is none of (City or Villa) really have a clue, I''m sure it will be resolved one way or another soon.

The main problem with McLeish was that quite simply he was a terrible terrible manager who played the most negative, gutless football I''ve ever had the misfortune to watch.

We won 4 home games last season and spent most the season playing with 6 defenders in the starting line up hoping to keep the score down.

The media were so caught up with the fact he came from Birmingham not to realise that while that was an issue it wasn''t the main one. The main one is that is was doing a horrible job, this is a man who managed to finish 3rd with Rangers!!!

You are right we did look like a relegation side at Carrow Road but we were like that all season, I was there and he would have taken us down next season. In fact he would have taken us down this season had it not been for the fact there were some terrible sides in the league this season.

You are right it was a bizarre appointment and it was panic by a chairman who didn''t really know what he was looking for.[/quote]

Well you won''t see negative football from a Lambert team, he''ll want to win every game, even if it means risking points here and there. But if it gets Villa Park rocking again then you''ll win more than you lose.

It will interesting to see how he develops as a City supporter, one half of me hopes he fails, the other half loves him for the job he done here and wishes him well. It''s probably too soon yet to be completely objective about it.