Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Lambert's wobble

I don''t know if anyone picked up on this or whether it has been commented upon, but I was surprised to read in Alan Bowkett''s interview about a "wobble" which Lambert had last summer. This seems to have been so serious that they actually reviewed potential replacements should he leave. The fast appointment of Hughton suggests that the process was very nearly complete one year ago!

I haven''t seen any comment about this nor do I recall anything last summer when all the talk was of a jubilant return to the Prem. I do find it staggering that any manager with back to back promotions could have a "wobble" about leading his team in the Prem, or was he already being eyed by Villa at that time when the Mcleish deal was done. There was the whole Burnley thing, but that cannot have been a serious proposition. Maybe others were sniffing around.

It all just reinforces to me how Lambert never felt he was truly part of anything long term at City, that he was here to do a job and move on quickly. This is not necessarily  a bad thing, for he has truly achieved amazing things in getting us back when many other managers couldn''t. however it just contributes to the slightly bad taste this leaves me with, that this had always been just a one way relationship.

The wobble would have been real I suspect.   Two consecutive promotions, an up and coming manager - maybe Villa wanted him before McLeish last year - that would have been very understandable!     PL is ambitious, we all knew that.    If he got the hint that Villa were interested last season then that would have got him thinking.  The fact that they got McLeish shows they were stuck for someone as it seemed a strange decision at the time.

The "wobble" related to West Ham sniffing around. 

Co-incidentally, shortly after they came sniffing it was announced he had signed an improved contract.....

I was going to post on the other Lambert "wobble" thread but it went off subject massively with in fighting etc. Very boring.

My view on it is that PL likes to be wanted. As I''m sure we all would. They had to get him to commit and did that by giving him more money. As we know now the only thing to change in PL''s contract last summer was the increase of money in his back pocket, and he deserved it.

I''m not going to speak about sources and stuff but invariably you just get destroyed by doing so, I don''t know why people bother, but I don''t believe the West Ham link was the reason for the "wobble". Norwich City, from what I know, received one approach for Lambert in the close season last summer and one firm ''enquiry'' during the first three months of the season. I don''t know which clubs, but their was definite interest.

Thankfully he chose to leave early in the summer and not mid way through a season which could have been a lot worse for us.

People read too much into "wobbles", everyone has times when their head gets turned.

From what I know and heard recently Lambert made it clear his time here was done, his challenge had finished and wanted a fresh challenge at a bigger club!

It was MacNally who had convinced Lambert to think it through and keep quiet for the time being, but Lambert was on his way and the club knew this a few months ago.

Good luck to Lambert a top manager and will get a deserved round of applause on his return to Carrow road from me!

I liked Bowkett''s comment that with Lambert you get the package - a brilliant manager but the most impatient man he has ever met.

I get the feeling that in some ways they are glad they are now working with someone who is a brilliant manager but can plan ahead with a bit more confidence

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I liked Bowkett''s comment that with Lambert you get the package - a brilliant manager but the most impatient man he has ever met.

I get the feeling that in some ways they are glad they are now working with someone who is a brilliant manager but can plan ahead with a bit more confidence[/quote]

You mean a ''yes man''. [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I was going to post on the other Lambert "wobble" thread but it went off subject massively with in fighting etc. Very boring.

My view on it is that PL likes to be wanted. As I''m sure we all would. They had to get him to commit and did that by giving him more money. As we know now the only thing to change in PL''s contract last summer was the increase of money in his back pocket, and he deserved it.

I''m not going to speak about sources and stuff but invariably you just get destroyed by doing so, I don''t know why people bother, but I don''t believe the West Ham link was the reason for the "wobble". Norwich City, from what I know, received one approach for Lambert in the close season last summer and one firm ''enquiry'' during the first three months of the season. I don''t know which clubs, but their was definite interest.

Thankfully he chose to leave early in the summer and not mid way through a season which could have been a lot worse for us.[/quote]

That thread had everything in it that is within this one with the addition of hilarity - well, hilarity to those with a sense of humour - something you''re clearly lacking.Mister Boring Personified.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I was going to post on the other Lambert "wobble" thread but it went off subject massively with in fighting etc. Very boring.

Thankfully he chose to leave early in the summer and not mid way through a season which could have been a lot worse for us.[/quote]

That thread had everything in it that is within this one with the addition of hilarity - well, hilarity to those with a sense of humour - something you''re clearly lacking.Mister Boring Personified.

Is it possible that the "wobble" was over the question of transfers and transfer fees. Perhaps he wanted to buy a particular player, or players, but the club would not stretch the budget or breal the wage limit, and he threw a brief paddy of some sort. Hence his comment a month or so ago when he said that there were few nuggets left in the lower divisions, and things would be harded.

After this brief difficulty things were perhaps smoothed over, but they realised that he was not altogether committed to the seven year plan years.

I guess its possible that the Board already knew, but the whole charade of the request to talk, the rumours of walking out, then resignation and then compensation was an almighty stuff up. Seems to me that PL knew from Day One that we were to be a stepping stone and the only way he''d get a Prem job since it would have been too big a gamble to have taken him direct from Colchester. We know he is a tough nut and that''s life, but lets not get too sentimental about him in return. He did his job, now we move on but I personally do not feel warmly towards him as I did towards Brown, Walker or even Worthy. 

Shyster wrote: That thread had everything in it that is within this one with the addition of hilarity - well, hilarity to those with a sense of humour. 

Hilarious - unless you happen to be the butt of the joke.   

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I was going to post on the other Lambert "wobble" thread but it went off subject massively with in fighting etc. Very boring. My view on it is that PL likes to be wanted. As I''m sure we all would. They had to get him to commit and did that by giving him more money. As we know now the only thing to change in PL''s contract last summer was the increase of money in his back pocket, and he deserved it. I''m not going to speak about sources and stuff but invariably you just get destroyed by doing so, I don''t know why people bother, but I don''t believe the West Ham link was the reason for the "wobble". Norwich City, from what I know, received one approach for Lambert in the close season last summer and one firm ''enquiry'' during the first three months of the season. I don''t know which clubs, but their was definite interest. Thankfully he chose to leave early in the summer and not mid way through a season which could have been a lot worse for us.[/quote]

That thread had everything in it that is within this one with the addition of hilarity - well, hilarity to those with a sense of humour - something you''re clearly lacking.

Mister Boring Personified.
[/quote]

Hilarious if you are part of the boring inner circle who think that the rest of us are interested in page after page of their in jokes and petty squabbles 

[quote user="im spartacus"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I was going to post on the other Lambert "wobble" thread but it went off subject massively with in fighting etc. Very boring. My view on it is that PL likes to be wanted. As I''m sure we all would. They had to get him to commit and did that by giving him more money. As we know now the only thing to change in PL''s contract last summer was the increase of money in his back pocket, and he deserved it. I''m not going to speak about sources and stuff but invariably you just get destroyed by doing so, I don''t know why people bother, but I don''t believe the West Ham link was the reason for the "wobble". Norwich City, from what I know, received one approach for Lambert in the close season last summer and one firm ''enquiry'' during the first three months of the season. I don''t know which clubs, but their was definite interest. Thankfully he chose to leave early in the summer and not mid way through a season which could have been a lot worse for us.[/quote]

That thread had everything in it that is within this one with the addition of hilarity - well, hilarity to those with a sense of humour - something you''re clearly lacking.

[/quote]

Hilarious if you are part of the boring inner circle who think that the rest of us are interested in page after page of their in jokes and petty squabbles 

[/quote]

And obviously not if you come from Suffolk and you think you are a gladiator!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="im spartacus"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

absolutely! perhaps the humour is more to the taste of anorexics from norfolk

[quote user="im spartacus"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="im spartacus"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

absolutely! perhaps the humour is more to the taste of anorexics from norfolk

[/quote]

It might be, but who are these anorexics from norfolk?[:^)]