Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Why is Bowkett so vocal now?

It seemed as if McNally was the man who stood in front of the media when necessary. McNally who released comments to local press when he felt he needed to.

Now Lambert has left the club Bowkett seems to be a lot more vocal on every subject, from transfers, to managers searches to "wobbles" by past employees of the club.

Just wondering whether he''s been told to be more active, take some of the pressure off McNally. Just seems a bit strange that after three years of relative silence, he''s now speaking up about something on a fairly regular basis.

If you''re referring to the articles on the Pink un homepage I am fairly certain that they are rehashed stories from press conference unveiling Hughton and the post conference interviews.

I thought that everything we have heard from within Bowkett in the last week derived from one interview after Hughton''s press conference?

I believe he was also interviewed at a racing event (Horses?)- So that probably made you think that he''s been more prominent.

I think McNally''s star has become a little tarnished having lost Paul Lambert and probably Grant Holt like he has.Maybe a brief bunker mentality was suggested for damage limitation purposes.

[quote user="Clever Clucker"]I think McNally''s star has become a little tarnished having lost Paul Lambert and probably Grant Holt like he has.

Maybe a brief bunker mentality was suggested for damage limitation purposes.
[/quote]

No, see the second and third posts. The pinkun got a weeks worth of stories out of an hours worth of interviews.

I suppose it is the close season so they have to save some stories otherwise they might as well be off for the summer, like the players.

No transfer activity likely for about another month, so they have to get these stories from somewhere I suppose.

Why is Bowkett so vocal now?to justify his salray? Because McNallys on Holiday? Because he simply has something to say?

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]I believe he was also interviewed at a racing event (Horses?)- So that probably made you think that he''s been more prominent.[/quote]

I think you might be thinking about Michael Foulger''s comments at Yarmouth races on the Bank Holiday Tuesday when he was asked whether there was any progress on a new NCFC Manager. His response was that he hoped something would be announced within 48 hours I think and he was correct in that Chris Hughton was Manager by the end of Thursday.

Not sure if it''s fair to say that Bowkett has been particularly "vocal" over the past week or two. He''s been asked to comment by selected journos. He''s replied, and that''s about the sum of it.

Club chairmen are often between a rock and a hard place. If they comment on everything, then they tend to get accused of interfering or talking about stuff that''s out of their depth. If they keep their mouths shut, and leave the commenting to press officers, CEO''s etc, people say they are aloof.

Overall, I guess it''s a case of not getting a dog and barking yourself. These days clubs tend to get professional CEO''s in  to do this sort of negociation/publicity, but just because, for once, a Chairman makes a quotable quote, it''s not necessarily that he''s got a hidden agenda, surely ?

Is it because there will be a slight hiatus before CH returns to fullduties, and while he is working his way through DVDs. So to keep the pot boiling, i.e. maintain our interest and excitement, he is either issuing new statements or else has authorised the re-use of some old statements. I, like others on the board, incline to the view that we have heard them all before, so it seems to be latter .

I think on the home page Bowkett looks like he should own the Dallas Cowboys, seems to have that look, just missing a ten gallon and a cigar so what I''m getting at in a roundabout way is that Yanks voice themselves very well and to me he looks every bit a Yank in that photo.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="yellow blood"]Just an aside but Alan Bowkett travels to home games in his Bentley with an NCFC scarf hanging out the window![/quote]Bet he won''t be doing that when we next play at Portman Road.[/quote]will any of us actually be alive next time we play at P!sspoor road!