Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Grant could learn a lot from Iwan

having read the story on the front page of the Site.. Iwan Roberts is right, there is no way back for Grant Holt now regardless what some fans may think...Grant could do well to learn from Iwan, a player who in 7 years won the fans over and never once turned his back on the club.... he went out a winner and a champion after the the club decided to get rid of him just 4 goals short of 100.... GRant holt will never reach this with us...Iwan Roberts will remain a hero at Carrow Road.... Grant holt will be yesterdays man... forgotten before long.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]having read the story on the front page of the Site.. Iwan Roberts is right, there is no way back for Grant Holt now regardless what some fans may think...Grant could do well to learn from Iwan, a player who in 7 years won the fans over and never once turned his back on the club.... he went out a winner and a champion after the the club decided to get rid of him just 4 goals short of 100.... GRant holt will never reach this with us...Iwan Roberts will remain a hero at Carrow Road.... Grant holt will be yesterdays man... forgotten before long.[/quote]

Excellent point. Still makes me angry when I recall the shoddy and stupid treatment of Iwan and Malky by Worthless and later on Huckerby by Roeder.

A great point made, that  I hadn''t really appreciated, was that very few ask for a transfer from here. For me, that alone puts another slant on Holt''s request to go

Disagree Jas. Hughton''s arrival is the ideal opportunity to resolve this situation without either party loosing face.

Neither side has handled this well, but it''s not like Grant has put in a transfer request because Marcus Evans has offered to double his wages. He''s asked to leave because he feels the club disrespected him after he asked to see out his career with us. Hopefully Hughton can smooth things over, because players like him don''t come around very often.

All will be forgotten if he slams in a hat-trick against Villa on the opening day...

I think what Grant might learn is that by not pushing for chances to move Roberts had to go on and play another year for Gillingham and now needs to do media work to keep earning money. If Holt gets his big move he''s set-up for life and can enjoy the easy life in the North-West.

I think Worthy made the decisions with the best intentions for the club, rightly or wrongly and doesnt deserve the worthless insult, Rodent on the other hand can have no justification for his treatment of Hucks.

I agree with Jas about both Iwans place in club folklore and that way Holt has somehow managed to undo his almost certain cult status. he will be remembered, but as a player not a hero/legend. I was interested to read in the article that Iwan has spoken at lenght to lee paine and wondered why, seems an odd thing to do unless they share the same agent.

Very interesting article that and for me also interesting what has prompted iwan to come out with some of these comments at this particular time. He says he''s spoken with Lee Payne. If that is the case and he has then come out and made these comments could this be part of a PR offensive designed to facilitate a compromise being found?

IF (and its a big if) he really is not after big money and its all about a few comments he has been offended by and a third year then this ought to be salvageable. I have praised McNally a lot in recent weeks and in general think he has done a great job for us but this may be a case where he has to tone down his hard line approach and do what needs to be done to try and broker. If we genuinely can''t give him what he wants or he is being an a**e then so be it lets get rid. We don;t want an unhappy and very influential player causing problems in the dressing room at the start of the season. If, however, this is all about egos and McNally has made some offensive comments in meetings then he needs to be the bigger man and apologise.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I think what Grant might learn is that by not pushing for chances to move Roberts had to go on and play another year for Gillingham and now needs to do media work to keep earning money. If Holt gets his big move he''s set-up for life and can enjoy the easy life in the North-West.

[/quote]

Disagree Bethnal, Iwan says he could have moved for more money, but felt other things were more important to him in life. For crying out loud (I have said this before) once a footballer stops playing (mid 30s?) he is more than capable of getting another job somewhere! If anyone wants to be ''retired'' at 35, and not work again, I would seriously question their motivation in life, and what it shows their kids

Why would Grant Holt care? Although it may come as a shock to some, not every player''s main ambition in their career is to become a legend at Norwich City Football Club.

[quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

Disagree Bethnal, Iwan says he could have moved for more money, but felt other things were more important to him in life. For crying out loud (I have said this before) once a footballer stops playing (mid 30s?) he is more than capable of getting another job somewhere! If anyone wants to be ''retired'' at 35, and not work again, I would seriously question their motivation in life, and what it shows their kids

[/quote]

You obviously have a job you love doing crabbycanary, you are very lucky and I would guess that most of us work to live not live to work, I for one would love to retire at 35 and while I dont particularly dislike my job, sundays are definately my favorite day. Dont think that would automatically make me a bad parent.

[/quote]

[/quote]

What''s he going to do? Fit tyres again?

There are of course chances to work in media or coaching but this means continuing to live a lifestyle where you have to move around to country a lot to stay in work.

Also what did being loyal real achieve Roberts? We ditched him as soon as we got promoted - footballers soon know that they need to look out for themselves in the game because no one else will do - Holt has seen this a lot over his career and has never really been a high earner, he now has that chance and wants to commit the rest of his career to Norwich, but they don''t want that so he is looking elsewhere. Can that really be blamed?

[quote user="Aggy"]Why would Grant Holt care? Although it may come as a shock to some, not every player''s main ambition in their career is to become a legend at Norwich City Football Club.[/quote]

I agree with that Aggy, that wasn''t what I was getting at. More family/lifestyle related

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"][quote user="crabbycanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You obviously have a job you love doing crabbycanary, you are very lucky and I would guess that most of us work to live not live to work, I for one would love to retire at 35 and while I dont particularly dislike my job, sundays are definately my favorite day. Dont think that would automatically make me a bad parent.

[/quote]

I understand why you say that Son Ova Gun, I am a self employed retailer,and it has its plusses there is no doubt, but in this day and age, and over the last 3/4 years or so there have been some massively stressful times/dark days. Times that, if I was to work for someone else in a ''9-5'' job, wouldn''t come anywhere near infringing on my ''spare'' time nor my family. I have been green with envy at times, about people who can walk away from their job at 5 o''clock on a Friday and spend a weekend doing what ever the hell they like. I know people that say they are stressed, when they only work 3 days a week for someone, and have 4 frigging days off!!

Why not change it? I hear you say, that is not as easy as it sounds for a host of reasons, which I will not bore you with now

If I came into enough money to retire way before (30 years!) I am 65, would I stop working, hell yeah, but I would need something to motivate me each day

BTW I am not jealous of people like Holt, but I do feel that people need to get a grip on what''s actually important in life.

Mrs Holt does not want to move - except maybe back to the north when he''s finished. So, maybe if they don''t want to uproot the family then something can be done.

That''s what I''ve been told anyway.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Very interesting article that and for me also interesting what has prompted iwan to come out with some of these comments at this particular time. He says he''s spoken with Lee Payne. If that is the case and he has then come out and made these comments could this be part of a PR offensive designed to facilitate a compromise being found?

IF (and its a big if) he really is not after big money and its all about a few comments he has been offended by and a third year then this ought to be salvageable. I have praised McNally a lot in recent weeks and in general think he has done a great job for us but this may be a case where he has to tone down his hard line approach and do what needs to be done to try and broker. If we genuinely can''t give him what he wants or he is being an a**e then so be it lets get rid. We don;t want an unhappy and very influential player causing problems in the dressing room at the start of the season. If, however, this is all about egos and McNally has made some offensive comments in meetings then he needs to be the bigger man and apologise.

[/quote]

I''m sure his agent said that the club did in fact accept Holt''s contract request but by that time "the damage had been done". Can anyone clarify this, as I''m sure that was said, but I''ve seen so many posts saying we should just give Holt what he wants etc. which doesn''t recognise the fact that the club has already tried this.

Can I just ask all the Holt bashers to ust stop and think about how GH has conducted himself over the three years he has been here.   His demeanour on the pitch,  his attitude off the pitch (many stories, photos and video) which show him to be a family man with a down to earth attitude and friendly to all and generous with his time for all sorts of charitable causes.  

Contrast this with the attitude of some people who have villified and written him off, even though you don''t know all the facts.   It''s plain there has been a problem.     He''s a professional footballer who has given the job 100% on the pitch at Norwich. We can''t ask for more.   If things have gone wrong behind the scenes, that''s a shame, but it happens sometimes.    He will not be ''forgotten'' as some will suggest.   He is up there with the great players who have worn the green and yellow.  

Give him a break.  He probably already thinks things have gone too far.    I just hope that Hughton wants him and is able to turn the situation round.  If not, I would want to remember the fantastic three years he has given us and wish him luck in the rest of his career.  

Oh, and if your name ends in ''chops''  my name isn''t Grant.... 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]What''s he going to do? Fit tyres again?[/quote]Why not? What on earth is wrong with going back to a perfectly respectable job, the likes of which the majority of us do every day? I don''t get where this idea comes from that footballers are almost ''entitled'' to retire early, and look down on the average man who''s still doing the same job for 15k a year not 15k a week...If he''s been even vaguely sensible with his earnings, he should be mortgage free and probably have quite a few ''nice'' things like big tv''s, good car etc, and therefore the majority of any money he makes now is either likely to be for the kids university fund, or spending money so they can enjoy themselves.Footballers are no better or worse than the rest of us - they''re just paid ridiculous amounts of money instead...

Grant Holt will always be an NCFC legend in my mind. The things he has achieved at this club have only been done before by a select few, all of whom are regarded as legends, Grant Holt is no different.

[quote user="Gareth"]Grant Holt will always be an NCFC legend in my mind. The things he has achieved at this club have only been done before by a select few, all of whom are regarded as legends, Grant Holt is no different.[/quote]
Although I will add that my respect for him has gone down over this incident. Where once he may have been in my top 3 favourite players of all time, now he''s in the lower part of the top 10.

[quote user="Gareth"]Grant Holt will always be an NCFC legend in my mind. The things he has achieved at this club have only been done before by a select few, all of whom are regarded as legends, Grant Holt is no different.[/quote]Totally agree with this view.Grant Holt has been a very special player in a Norwich shirt and wherever he goes from here I will wish him well.... even if it''s Aston Villa.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]What''s he going to do? Fit tyres again?[/quote]
Why not?

What on earth is wrong with going back to a perfectly respectable job, the likes of which the majority of us do every day? I don''t get where this idea comes from that footballers are almost ''entitled'' to retire early, and look down on the average man who''s still doing the same job for 15k a year not 15k a week...

If he''s been even vaguely sensible with his earnings, he should be mortgage free and probably have quite a few ''nice'' things like big tv''s, good car etc, and therefore the majority of any money he makes now is either likely to be for the kids university fund, or spending money so they can enjoy themselves.

Footballers are no better or worse than the rest of us - they''re just paid ridiculous amounts of money instead...
[/quote]

My point is that his peers who are playing at the same level (and many less successfully than him) are earning £30k a week, while he is not. If you were in a line of work where you could earn considerably more money doing the samething at a different company I''d sure you would go for it, rather than run the risk of having to do a low paid job in the future.

Nothing to do with footballers ''being better or worse'' than anyone - they just work in a high paid industry, short term career.

[quote user="Gareth"]Grant Holt will always be an NCFC legend in my mind. The things he has achieved at this club have only been done before by a select few, all of whom are regarded as legends, Grant Holt is no different.[/quote]

Name one player who has cult legendry status at Norwich city who handed in a transfer request. Grant Holt is different and the way in which a player leaves the club has a defining impact on what image is left once the boots are hung up.

Crabby - thanks for the reply, I understand your point and everytime I have moved jobs its been for less money initially but higher enjoyment/quality of life. I still hope to win the lottery and enjoy feckless non driven days of early retirement however :)

Alysha - I too thought that Holts agent had admitted that Holts demands had been met, but this is now not enough for him but was begining to think it was a dream with all the ''give him what he wants'' threads.

Funny how the article can be interpreted. I actually think Roberts, if anything, is siding with Holty.

If there is any chance to keep him, I think Hughton is just the man to do it.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]
Name one player who has cult legendry status at Norwich city who handed in a transfer request. Grant Holt is different and the way in which a player leaves the club has a defining impact on what image is left once the boots are hung up.
[/quote]

I mentioned that I still viewed him as an NCFC legend, you don''t have too. Grant Holt is still a NCFC legend in my mind even though he handed in a transfer request. Has his status been damaged in my eyes? Yes, but he has achieved so much with NCFC over his three seasons here that all this has done is tainted his star, not removed it.

Am I unhappy with Holts'' actions? Yes and I think it''s a damned shame that such a great relationship between NCFC and Holt might end this way and he will never have the same status he did even if he does stay, but he''s done too much for this club to not have his achievements regarded as legendary.

It''s just my opinion, take it or leave it.

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

I think Worthy made the decisions with the best intentions for the club, rightly or wrongly and doesnt deserve the worthless insult, Rodent on the other hand can have no justification for his treatment of Hucks.

I agree with Jas about both Iwans place in club folklore and that way Holt has somehow managed to undo his almost certain cult status. he will be remembered, but as a player not a hero/legend. I was interested to read in the article that Iwan has spoken at lenght to lee paine and wondered why, seems an odd thing to do unless they share the same agent.

[/quote]

Err, yes he does, and far more, how he treated Iwan was shameful and I''ll never forgive him for it.

Gareth - Thats fair enough, of course you can still see holt as a legend, plenty of other fans will too no doubt. I feel that only 3 yrs + public engineering a move away will mean that he wont be held in the same regard in 10yrs time as hucks, Iwan, etc by the general masses.

Wiz - how was not giving Iwan another contract treating him shamefully?. I didnt agree with the decision, especially watching a central defender play up front v''s man utd, in my mind another year would of been useful to the team, but Worthy made the decision for footballing reasons. Iwan was struggling to play from the start and would of probably taken up a significant portion of the wage budget for a impact player. Unlike hucks, Iwan was given the oppertunity of a farewell to fans. If drury wasnt offered another contract, would we be treating him shamefully too?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok, I;m gonna bite, and why not. So you think a retired footballer with no qualifications is going to find it easy to get another job somewhere? Maybe he could go back to being a tyre fitter, if anyone is actually hiring. I''d love for you to explain to the millions of unemployed out there that they lack motivation and are not a good example to their kids. You muppet.

No Scooby, I am not having a go about the motivation of those who are struggling to pay their bills, and find meaningful employment, far from it. I work opposite a job centre , and also have first hand experience of unemployment and the effects it can have. There are far more unemployed people who have the desire and motivation to find jobs then not, but that wasn''t my point, so I apologise if my limited English hasn''t explained it properly.

What I was getting at was someone like Holt, who by the age of 35 will have earned more money than I will EVER see, no matter how long I carry on working for, and will not have the stresses that the ''common'' man has in trying to pay bills, and provide for his family. Like someone else has said, being mildly appropriate with his money, will mean he will not have a mortgage and will have all the trappings/luxuries that people like me, will dream of..

People like Holt will always be more ''employable'' than the likes of me, because we have put him on a pedestal (not his fault btw), and wether we like it or not, others will be willing to take ''him on and use them for the ''name'' 

Holt may well be unemployed in, say 5 years, but his need/urgency to find a wage will be far far less than the vast majority of unemployed people