Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Are you sure ROI don't need Wes???

]

A bit like the Swiss and the EU. They want all the benefits of EU membership, but are not prepared to join and pay their dues. For example...why are Swissair aircraft allowed to sport the European gold stars on blue background flag ?

Agree with your appraisal of Wes too. He''s just too exciting for the ROI setup . In a way, I''m glad he''s not there, as, knowing our luck he''d get injured. That said , the experience he''d gain out of playing against people like Modric, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Bonucci etc would be fantastic.

Irelands problems are defensively... Wes wouldnt have made a difference last night.once they lose the ball they cant get it back...

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.[/quote]

wouldnt you think thats got something to do with being drawn in the "Polish half" of the tournament where you can get ryanair flights from Dublin to Gdansk for 30 euro return?!?!........London to Donetsk = £400 + scandalously overpriced accomodation.......there''s your difference

[/quote]Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.[/quote]

not really, just explaining the difference in numbers and if we get so far in this tournament as to get to play in Poland (which will be after your lot has long since gone home) , you''ll see that we will take just as many numbers if not more..................well done tonight though "plucky, never say die " Ireland blah blah blah blah.

[/quote]My beef is your first couple of lines in your post lad nothing else but if you want to get into it then fine, yeah we are "plucky, never say die" maybe not tonight but my Irish eyes are still smiling and I''d rather have that than a center half with swastica eyes.[/quote]

our country is ok (lad ?!?) for all your players to live,work and earn their living in is it though??  ....yes?, ok, just checking.

[/quote]Thanks for that btw, if you fancy a real chat just pm me and we will go from there, if not I''m getting a little bored.[/quote]now now girls... lets all be friends eh?

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.[/quote]

That''s right, Twitchy, 45,000 traveling Irish at the expense of the English taxpayer - we want our 7 billion back [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Whether you fine-toned, thoroughbred descendants of old Alf the Great like it or not, Ireland has millions of nationals and their descendants living in the UK, many of whom happen to like football and follow them as their first or second team. We have closer linguistic, cultural and historic ties to them than to any other European nation. Add in an appeal to many of the Scots and Welsh (whose own footie teams aren''t good enough to be there. Ha ha!) that the England team will never have, and for me these factors explain the extra media coverage and attitude.

The whole St Paddy''s Day "we''re all Irish" thing is IMHO an annoying American inspired/commercially driven import, but then so is for example Halloween in its current form, and it reflects worse on us as a nation than on the emerald isle''s inhabitants.

On the ball, Eire! (But not as much as England, please)

So can someone explain to me why the Olympic torch, as part of its trip around the UK, turned up in Dublin ?

Anyway Mark Lawrenson this morning (a hugely respected authority on this board of course) was saying Ireland need a player in midfield with craft and the ability to play a good pass.  Can''t think of anyone they left behind that might have been helpful then.

[quote]Mark Lawrenson this morning (a hugely respected authority on this board of course) was saying Ireland need a player in midfield with craft and the ability to play a good pass.  Can''t think of anyone they left behind that might have been helpful then.[/quote]

Ireland need more than Hoolahan - they need a bleedin'' miracle [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-8.gif[/img]

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

So can someone explain to me why the Olympic torch, as part of its trip around the UK, turned up in Dublin ?

Anyway Mark Lawrenson this morning (a hugely respected authority on this board of course) was saying Ireland need a player in midfield with craft and the ability to play a good pass.  Can''t think of anyone they left behind that might have been helpful then.

[/quote]

It was a gesture from the British.All to do with the peace process apparently.Although it was spoilt partly by those two pricks!

Good luck to the Irish tonight.It''s going to be tough,to say the least[Y]

They would have needed every possible advantage they could get including Wes, a four-leaf clover, pot of gold, a horde of leprechauns, and so on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JO0-WCEOw4

I would have liked to watch him on the international stage but we would have been far more likely to lose him this summer so kinda glad he they don''t know who their best players are.

Here''s a view from an Irish Norwich fan (always been a huge Wes fan even when at Blackpool).

Firstly its not Ireland who dont want Wes in the team its Trappatoni!! If you talk to most people here you would see that despite getting a poor team to qualify which was great! The majority of fans would rather see a different manager. He plays a horrible and negative style of football and in mine and what i can see most peoples opinion over the last year he does not pick the best players.

Most people woould want to see Wes, Pilkington, and McClean in midfield, with Long and Keane IMO starting up front! The likes of Paul Grenn, glen whelan, Paul mcshane etc etc making the squad is a joke! utter crap players! Even if we were to lose at least it would be a nicer style of football!

As for the media thing, I think tahats mainly down to Sky and how much money they make over here aswell as England! Or maybe its just cause where neighbours, shame a lot of posters there want us out, ah well cant please the haters!

Anyway i could ramble on but i have to go watch us beat Spain!! [;)]

Best of luck to England in the rest of the competition! [B] Il be hoping yis do well

"Anyway i could ramble on but i have to go watch us beat Spain!!"

- I think most of us would love to see that happen - but it''s a shame the lineup you''ve suggested isn''t possible. Anyway there''s always a chance - no matter how small. Good luck!

Ireland have just announced their side tonight with a 4-5-1 formation with Simon Cox !!!!??? playing in the role just behind Keane. This makes Hoolahan''s non inclusion all the more a mockery as we were being told all along that they were a staunch 442 side and that Hoolahan wouldn''t suit the system?!!. I''ll bet Wes doesnt know whether to laugh or cry at the moment?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Ireland have just announced their side tonight with a 4-5-1 formation with Simon Cox !!!!??? playing in the role just behind Keane. This makes Hoolahan''s non inclusion all the more a mockery as we were being told all along that they were a staunch 442 side and that Hoolahan wouldn''t suit the system?!!. I''ll bet Wes doesnt know whether to laugh or cry at the moment?[/quote]

Laughing at the fact he''s been spared turning out in an awful Irish side I should imagine [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]4 nil now.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]
And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.
[/quote]

wouldnt you think thats got something to do with being drawn in the "Polish half" of the tournament where you can get ryanair flights from Dublin to Gdansk for 30 euro return?!?!........London to Donetsk = £400 + scandalously overpriced accomodation.......there''s your difference

[/quote]
Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.
[/quote]

not really, just explaining the difference in numbers and if we get so far in this tournament as to get to play in Poland (which will be after your lot has long since gone home) , you''ll see that we will take just as many numbers if not more..................well done tonight though "plucky, never say die " Ireland blah blah blah blah.

[/quote]

What gets me is the way the Scots and Irish go on about ''66 when we never even mention it. Jealousy or feelings of inadequacy perhaps ?   

[quote user="Irish canary"]

Here''s a view from an Irish Norwich fan (always been a huge Wes fan even when at Blackpool).

Firstly its not Ireland who dont want Wes in the team its Trappatoni!! If you talk to most people here you would see that despite getting a poor team to qualify which was great! The majority of fans would rather see a different manager. He plays a horrible and negative style of football and in mine and what i can see most peoples opinion over the last year he does not pick the best players.

Most people woould want to see Wes, Pilkington, and McClean in midfield, with Long and Keane IMO starting up front! The likes of Paul Grenn, glen whelan, Paul mcshane etc etc making the squad is a joke! utter crap players! Even if we were to lose at least it would be a nicer style of football!

As for the media thing, I think tahats mainly down to Sky and how much money they make over here aswell as England! Or maybe its just cause where neighbours, shame a lot of posters there want us out, ah well cant please the haters!

Anyway i could ramble on but i have to go watch us beat Spain!! [;)]

Best of luck to England in the rest of the competition! [B] Il be hoping yis do well

[/quote]

I always support the Irish and Scots and I believe that most English do.  Sorry to see you lose but Spain really are a fantastic team. What was funny was when the team was announced on Talksport, Matt Holland joked that they Spain were still playing without a striker after the last game !!! Oooooooops.

Am I right in thinking that thanks to head-to-head results going before goal difference, if Spain and Croatia draw 2-2 in their final game that will mean they both qualify and send Italy home regardless of their result against Ireland?  Shades of Euro 2004...

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Am I right in thinking that thanks to head-to-head results going before goal difference, if Spain and Croatia draw 2-2 in their final game that will mean they both qualify and send Italy home regardless of their result against Ireland?  Shades of Euro 2004...[/quote]

I wonder if anyone can recall who scored Sweden''s equalizing goal in the "convenient" 2-2 draw with Denmark , in Euro 2004?!?.

It was a performance that prompted Mr.Worthington to make possibly the worst pound for pound signing in our history in none other than Mathias Jonson !!!

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Am I right in thinking that thanks to head-to-head results going before goal difference, if Spain and Croatia draw 2-2 in their final game that will mean they both qualify and send Italy home regardless of their result against Ireland?  Shades of Euro 2004...
[/quote]

Yes, that was fun. With Mathias Jonson scoring the crucial goal. Sadly it wasn''t the fix the Italians claimed. As we now know from Scandinavian crime drama, there is not much love lost between the Danes and the Swedes.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Am I right in thinking that thanks to head-to-head results going before goal difference, if Spain and Croatia draw 2-2 in their final game that will mean they both qualify and send Italy home regardless of their result against Ireland?  Shades of Euro 2004...
[/quote]

Yes, that was fun. With Mathias Jonson scoring the crucial goal. Sadly it wasn''t the fix the Italians claimed. As we now know from Scandinavian crime drama, there is not much love lost between the Danes and the Swedes.

[/quote]

There''s a certain irony in the Italians protesting about a fix !!!  Let''s hope there is one....

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

I wonder if anyone can recall who scored Sweden''s equalizing goal in the "convenient" 2-2 draw with Denmark , in Euro 2004?!?.

It was a performance that prompted Mr.Worthington to make possibly the worst pound for pound signing in our history in none other than Mathias Jonson !!!

[/quote]

Yes, but Worthington used Jonson exclusively (as far as I can remember) as a workhorse right-sided midfielder, which wasn''t really his best position. Certainly not for someone new to English football, with its emphasis on workrate. Whereas he scored that goal pushed forward as a third striker in a 4-3-3, which suited him better, as did playing off a target man. I think it is no coincidence that he scored nine goals in 57 appearances (including as a sub) for Sweden but none in 28 for Norwich.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, but Worthington used Jonson exclusively (as far as I can remember) as a workhorse right-sided midfielder, which wasn''t really his best position. Certainly not for someone new to English football, with its emphasis on workrate. Whereas he scored that goal pushed forward as a third striker in a 4-3-3, which suited him better, as did playing off a target man. I think it is no coincidence that he scored nine goals in 57 appearances (including as a sub) for Sweden but none in 28 for Norwich.

[/quote]

i think you''re being kind to him here, no goals or assists in an entire season??.......There''s a reason why a Scandinavian footballer doesn''t play outside of Scandinavia before the age of 30.

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the old Italian change his system to fit Wes into the team, but when your a goal or 2 down looking for a way back into the game, is Paul Green, not affiliated to any club the answer?  I think not.  Against Spain, Ireland were crying out for someone more creative, someone who can get hold of the ball and keep it.