Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Are you sure ROI don't need Wes???

Their midfield is about as creative as a mutation of stoke, wolves and villa. They need to improve vastly to progress.

ok so you need to play a system that suits wesand thats not everyones cup of tea ...  but surely coming off the bench when you need a spark to get you back in the game ? that senile old fool must be blind if he can''t see that i am glad they are getting hammered OTBC

Apparently Wes isn''t good enough, despite proving himself in the Prem.

Also, he is able, but not quite as effective out wide or as a CM. would be perfect now, they need creativity.

Now we''re seeing the issues with Irelands'' defensive focused style of football. It''s all well and good focusing on the defence, but they have no real quality when they need to score goals, they mainly score through set pieces and quick breaks, but Croatia are more than willing to sit deep and allow Ireland to break them down, and the Irish have no answers for it.

I think the pressing question is - can Hughton find a system that utilities Wes in his plans next season. Without a doubt, Lambert knew how to accommodate him, but will CH?

[quote user="1eed5canary"]I think the pressing question is - can Hughton find a system that utilities Wes in his plans next season. Without a doubt, Lambert knew how to accommodate him, but will CH?[/quote]

if it ain''t broke don''t fix it 

Stephen Ward is the worst international player I have ever seen

got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday

Wes  quite often struggled to find an end product for all his skills and hard work last season.    He also could have done with scoring two or three more goals.   Then he would have had more of a chance of penetrating Trappatoni''s skull.    That said he would have offered the buzz that Ireland are missing tonight.  

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.

My Irish housemate is furious with Trapattoni for not calling up Wes and even more so that ''no games'' striker Simon Cox was played on the wing. Apparently most of Ireland wanted him in the squad and this shows as they had no plan b tonight.

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]
And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.
[/quote]

wouldnt you think thats got something to do with being drawn in the "Polish half" of the tournament where you can get ryanair flights from Dublin to Gdansk for 30 euro return?!?!........London to Donetsk = £400 + scandalously overpriced accomodation.......there''s your difference

....and another thing, which player with 8 goals was the top Irish scorer in the Premiership last season, outscoring Keane,Doyle,Long,Walters and Cox???.........clue, plays for Norwich, wears no.12?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]....and another thing, which player with 8 goals was the top Irish scorer in the Premiership last season, outscoring Keane,Doyle,Long,Walters and Cox???.........clue, plays for Norwich, wears no.12?[/quote]
Technically, Pilkington is still English. Also I really, really want Pilkington to play for England. Please Roy? You liked Brunt at West Brom and he was slower than Pilkington.

[quote user="Gareth"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]....and another thing, which player with 8 goals was the top Irish scorer in the Premiership last season, outscoring Keane,Doyle,Long,Walters and Cox???.........clue, plays for Norwich, wears no.12?[/quote]

Technically, Pilkington is still English. Also I really, really want Pilkington to play for England. Please Roy? You liked Brunt at West Brom and he was slower than Pilkington.

[/quote]

if Adam Johnson can''t get in the England squad then with respect to Pilkington I would suggest he''s a way off, his best bet is declaring himslef for the Irish and be ready for the Brazil 2014 qualifiers.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.[/quote]

wouldnt you think thats got something to do with being drawn in the "Polish half" of the tournament where you can get ryanair flights from Dublin to Gdansk for 30 euro return?!?!........London to Donetsk = £400 + scandalously overpriced accomodation.......there''s your difference

[/quote]Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Gareth"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]....and another thing, which player with 8 goals was the top Irish scorer in the Premiership last season, outscoring Keane,Doyle,Long,Walters and Cox???.........clue, plays for Norwich, wears no.12?[/quote]

[/quote]

if Adam Johnson can''t get in the England squad then with respect to Pilkington I would suggest he''s a way off, his best bet is declaring himslef for the Irish and be ready for the Brazil 2014 qualifiers.

[/quote]
Good player, but overrated. Pilkington will be just as good as him, if not better. Johnson was left out because he lacked defensive responsibility and his attacking prowess did not make up for his lack of defensive ability. The same could not be said for Pilkington, who acts as a good middle-ground for the defensively responsible (but offensively lacking) Downing and the exiting (but a defensive liability) of Johnson.

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]
And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.
[/quote]

not really, just explaining the difference in numbers and if we get so far in this tournament as to get to play in Poland (which will be after your lot has long since gone home) , you''ll see that we will take just as many numbers if not more..................well done tonight though "plucky, never say die " Ireland blah blah blah blah.

Totally agree GJL-what is it with the British medias obsession with the REPUBLIC of Ireland`s football team? All day 5live and Talksport have been trailing tonights game as if it were a home nation playing.The bias in tonights ITV commentary beggared belief

[quote user="frettenhammer"]Totally agree GJL-what is it with the British medias obsession with the REPUBLIC of Ireland`s football team? All day 5live and Talksport have been trailing tonights game as if it were a home nation playing.The bias in tonights ITV commentary beggared belief[/quote]

indeed, to me they''re just as much a foreign country as the France only unlike the French they opted not to be a part of the United Kingdom of their own volition. The media aren''t banging on about them as much as the Irish are they?!?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]And you don''t think the rest of the world isn''t pissed off with your lot crapping on about 1966 FFS, plus we brought in or around 45,000 over for the party so yeah compared to 3,000 for each group game I''d say that brightens Poznan up a wee bit don''t you.[/quote]

[/quote]Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.[/quote]

not really, just explaining the difference in numbers and if we get so far in this tournament as to get to play in Poland (which will be after your lot has long since gone home) , you''ll see that we will take just as many numbers if not more..................well done tonight though "plucky, never say die " Ireland blah blah blah blah.

[/quote]My beef is your first couple of lines in your post lad nothing else but if you want to get into it then fine, yeah we are "plucky, never say die" maybe not tonight but my Irish eyes are still smiling and I''d rather have that than a center half with swastica eyes.

[quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.
[/quote]

[/quote]
My beef is your first couple of lines in your post lad nothing else but if you want to get into it then fine, yeah we are "plucky, never say die" maybe not tonight but my Irish eyes are still smiling and I''d rather have that than a center half with swastica eyes.
[/quote]

our country is ok (lad ?!?) for all your players to live,work and earn their living in is it though??  ....yes?, ok, just checking.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Twitchy"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]Really that''s your beef?...........I think it''s for once the media isn''t creaming itself about Englands chances and you feel a little left out...........bitter.[/quote]

[/quote]My beef is your first couple of lines in your post lad nothing else but if you want to get into it then fine, yeah we are "plucky, never say die" maybe not tonight but my Irish eyes are still smiling and I''d rather have that than a center half with swastica eyes.[/quote]

our country is ok (lad ?!?) for all your players to live,work and earn their living in is it though??  ....yes?, ok, just checking.

[/quote]Thanks for that btw, if you fancy a real chat just pm me and we will go from there, if not I''m getting a little bored.

However good the defence is, you can''t rely on by-passing the midfield (was there one?) with long balls for Dolye to fight for, however willing and dramatic he is. I was disappointed in Ireland. There is no doubt about their commitment - although many of the players who were born elsewhere could not sing the anthem, but they are too defensive to make progress.

A quick passing team (Norwich at their best) would cut them open. Croatia had better players going forward, but very often they were slow in the build-up, with sideways passing. If by some miracle Ireland salvage a place for the knock-out rounds, I fear that they will not go far. They expected to beat Croatia, I hope they are not expecting to beat Spain or Italy.

All this is to say that Trappatoni''s method, even admitting that his available players gave him little chance, is inadequate. If he had bothered to select Wes, they would have had more options. They seem likely only ever to score from set pieces. I think that Wes would have created much more.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]

Yep, GJL. Fully support that comment . I''m not Irish, have no Irish blood in me and live in France . So why should I buy this "don''t you just lerrrve the Paddys" stuff.

How they qualified is beyond me. I know the qualification route does not work this way, but, the likes of Norway, Belgium, Serbia and Turkey are streets ahead of the ROI.  They are stultifyingly dull to watch, and , in answer to the OP, the fact that Wes is considered not good enough speaks volumes. What Trappatoni really means, is that he''s a flair player and too creative for his tedious setup.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]got to say I''m getting a little pi55ed off with this whole media "lovable Irish" and "don''t the fans just brighten up the tournament" crap......the sooner they''re knocked out the better.....and that will be on Thursday[/quote]

Yep, GJL. Fully support that comment . I''m not Irish, have no Irish blood in me and live in France . So why should I buy this "don''t you just lerrrve the Paddys" stuff.

How they qualified is beyond me. I know the qualification route does not work this way, but, the likes of Norway, Belgium, Serbia and Turkey are streets ahead of the ROI.  They are stultifyingly dull to watch, and , in answer to the OP, the fact that Wes is considered not good enough speaks volumes. What Trappatoni really means, is that he''s a flair player and too creative for his tedious setup.

[/quote]

Quite so Mr Pie, GJL.    Its token racism the way we treat the media treat the Irish.    As with anything else the media hype it up out of all proportion.  And as you say ''tedious set up'' sums it up.  Almost as tedious as England.................

Well, Mr Fish Supper, I''ll certainly agree that watching England is rarely a feast of thrills and spills . You never go into an England game on a confident note. I''ll get that first hand at 6pm our time when I''m the only Englishman  sitting round my neighbour''s telly, surrounded by at least 10 Frenchmen. Think of me......

BUT........ at least we tend to give it a go. It just will not do for England to park the bus. But ROI seem to qualify for all tournaments playing the dullest football imaginable . And I do not see , as you point out, why the British media hype it up when it''s a foreign country playing tedious football with second-rate players.

And don''t get me started about why the UK hype up and "celebrate" St Patrick''s Day......

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[/quote]As Mike Bassett said, ''Four Four ****ing Two''. That''s the problem with the ROI.  Tedious and predictable with no plan b. It''s not the case Wes isn''t good enough, he just doesn''t fit in.As for the Irish love in.  I get what you mean. Ireland has it both ways really.  When it suits they''re quite happy getting roped in as part of the UK like a parasitic twin when there''s something in it for them. When it doesn''t they''re first to shout they''re separate from the UK.