Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Scrap goal music at Carrow Road

I think it''s great. Annoys the hell out of the away support. I love seeing them so frustrated that they take the p*ss over enthusiastically. It gets right up their nose. We have done it since Worthington''s tenure started (maybe longer? 10 years plus anyway)  except for the season when Grant (or was it the Rodent?) killed it. It seemed really flat when we scored then, like everyone was waiting for it to start (not that we scored that often!). Americanisation? I don''t think so. Just modern. Imagine the darts without intro music. A fat bloke waddles into a room with people clapping. Music lends to atmosphere. When the average attendance was down at 16000 odd and prior to the introduction of music, I can tell you from experience that atmosphere was sometimes not too lively, even when we scored it often soon fell flat.

The only thing I''d agree on is perhaps Samba de Janeiro has had it''s time. Sounding a bit dated now. To get rid of it altogether though IMO would be a mistake. I''m sure CH will have input into this decision on how he wants the celebration to go.

Careful what you wish for.  I just can''t understand what anyone''s genuine issue with it could be?

I used to get to love it when they used to play ''the final countdown'' as intro music in the 80''s. Anyone else?

2 hours ago on twitter :

david mcnally ‏@davidmcnally62

@Thomoncfc opinion is very mixed on this subject so,to everyone,goal music or no goal music,that is the question #ncfc @NorwichCityFC pls RT

Most of the time I can''t hear it due to the cheering or chants being started after the goal. It''s outdated and pointless, get rid.

In two minds. I always find that familiar tune a bit cringeworthy.

I quite like the idea of varying it a bit, as in the suggestion about personalising it to the player who has scored. It always helps the atmosphere back home when they blast out the player''s choice as he heads out to bat in the one day cricket.

Then again, even at big rugby games of 40-50 000 spectators in New Zealand, the atmosphere is not even close to Carrow Road on a Saturday in terms of the crowds generating their own ''music'' - and definitely nowhere  near as witty.

That settles it, will sign the petition promptly, it just doesn''t seem right here.

Well I quite like it and so do my children who have chosen to add it to their iPods.

My 6 year old often sings and dances to it when he scores a goal in the garden. Seems it''s synonymous with goal-scoring in these parts!

Even if I didn''t like the music, I''d gladly tolerate being slightly p***** off at least 3 times or more per game if it meant we regularly scored that many at home!

TBH guys I dont see what the big issue is about. If we created the kind of atmosphere that really did not need goal music fine, but lets be honest ... we dont.The snake pit sings about how they will stand when they want or call someone King Knut.And the Barcley just sing the normal rinse repeat "Americanised" lol crap that all the other teams sing.Come up with something Original ?Do something to inspireUntil we can do something and get on a level half as good as them Celtic fans, Goal music stays !A lot of you probably didnt want to hear that, but im affraid its the truth !

[quote user="Chris Brown"]The club realistically could get this going on social networks too.

Facebook poll for people on Facebook

Hashtags on Twitter 

eg..

#NoNCFCGoalMusic

#YesNCFCGoalMusic

Then they can tally up the votes after X days and come to a decision.

[/quote]

That should never happen. I''d hate to see the day when decisions that affect everyone are sorted by those who use social networks. I wonder if I''ll ever see a general election decided that way. I should imagine at least half the season ticket holders aren''t twits or faces and it would also be open to people who have never set foot in Carrow Road or worse live in a bin.

I guess we could go for the old green and yellow cards and have a vote amongst those who actually go....

With you on that , Nutty.

Joking apart, I find this thread very heartening. Despite all the furore re Lambert''s departure, the possible loss of Holt, and the perceived lack of funds in the transfer market, doesn''t the fact that this thread, (about some irrelevant music) is now running for best part of 24 hrs show just how little we have to complain about at CR these days ?!

I do not think it makes one iota of difference, tbh. As for those who are moaning about an "artificial atmosphere", well  that just beggars belief. Do they seriously think that the noise generated when Simeon popped that late winner in v Derby, Holt got his hat trick v the Scum, Morison rifled on from the edge of the pen area v Blackburn to name but 3 were artificially generated ? Compared to most grounds , CR has great atmosphere, and I really don''t think music is either relevant or irrelevant.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary I quite like the goal music....if nothing else because I know for the fact that it annoys the hell out of away fans at Carrow Road! /quote]

Yeah ! What he said.

[quote user="nutty nigel" "Chris Brown"]The club realistically could get this going on social networks too.

Facebook poll for people on Facebook

Hashtags on Twitter 

eg..

#NoNCFCGoalMusic

#YesNCFCGoalMusic

Then they can tally up the votes after X days and come to a decision.

That should never happen. I''d hate to see the day when decisions that affect everyone are sorted by those who use social networks. I wonder if I''ll ever see a general election decided that way. I should imagine at least half the season ticket holders aren''t twits or faces and it would also be open to people who have never set foot in Carrow Road or worse live in a bin.

I guess we could go for the old green and yellow cards and have a vote amongst those who actually go....

Yeah! What he said too !!

" and it would also be open to people who have never set foot in Carrow Road or worse live in a bin."

That''s a fair point - how would you differentiate between binners and canaries over twitter ? Is it possible to tell if a tweet has been typed by 12 fingers ?

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Compared to most grounds , CR has great atmosphere, and I really don''t think music is either relevant or irrelevant.

[/quote]

Agree with this, except to add that while I don''t think the music is relevant or irrelevant -  it is just irritating and unecessary.     Expressing real emotion in it''s rawness is what it''s about - without somebody else''s idea of how to celebrate  dominating the occasion with trashy music.  Its just not needed.

Great quote from Alexei Sayle walkern canary!!!!  saw him at the UEA in about 1980 - F**king hilarious!!!

Signed - it should never have been introduced.Do you know they''re introducing pizza vending machines to America? As if those fat f*ckers need encouragement to eat [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]They''ll be here next - first one will probably go up in West Earlham [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] 

On a separate Carrow Road ''bug-bear'' of my own, which I''ve highlighted a couple of times over the last couple of seasons and still have no answer as to why, Why doesn''t the scoreboard / PA announcer give out the away teams substitutes ?!?!.

It just might be nice to know who the opposition have on the bench that might come on and potentially hurt us in a match??

I don''t like Cricket, Oh nosh, I love it

I don''t like Reggaesh, Oh nosh, I love it

I don''t like Jamaicash, Oh nosh, I love her

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Shouldn''t we be voting to get rid of that cringeworthy 3-2-1 before OTBC ?[/quote]

What is more cringeworthy is when it is then sung at 100mph.

keep the goal music, it adds to the atmos.

ditch the cringeworthy 3-2-1 before kick off - makes us a laughing stock.

how does music over the top of cheering, add to the atmosphere!

The roar that comes from a goal is amazing, not when some shite tune is blasted out over the top.

Probably have no right to comment as unfortunately as I dont live in the area I only go to a few home games a year but must admit I like the music and I think it helps to prolong the goal celebration.

Most importantly from a personal perspective it has now become a sound that me and my kids assosciate with Norwich success. I cant count the number of times over the past few years we have had this blasting out at full volume as me and the kids dance around like idiots celebrating an important win.

As said, however may be if I heard it every week I would be sick of it (although that would at least imply the team is doing well and scoring lots of goals!)