Sign in to follow this  
Hugh J Wurzell

Hoolahoop must be gutted

Not to get into the joke Oirish/England Z team. Real kick in the team was when they sent on some Muppet who had been released by Derby, is currently without a team and didn''t touch the ball. Trapatoni is a senile old hummer who should stick to soiling his pyjama bottoms. Nurse!

You can''t knock Trap too much. They were the only 3rd seeded team to qualify for the Euros. But Wesley must have been gutted when he saw what Ireland were trying to do. Trap tried to match Spain up and play 4-2-3-1 with Cox (who is a centre forward) effectively trying to be the attacking midfielder providing a link between Keane and the rest of the midfield. That role is Wesley''s speciality.

When you think of the investment in the English game and you look at how bad we can be, for teams like Ireland it''s making the tournaments that is the real success, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland would kill to get there. Keano should keep his arrogant mouth shut, remembering he let his country and team mates down badly in the past. I''m yet to fathom out how Mr Charisma can possibly be on the tv yet.

I agree with the comment about Wes dodging a bullet, but i''m sure with him actually being Irish he would have wanted to be there for his country.

He just doesn''t seem to figure on anyone''s radar other than ours. On another forum I post on (where there are literally hundreds of Irish posters), a thread about the performance of Ireland and who could replace some of the Irish failures didn''t even mention him as a possibility. I pointed out that Wes is here at Norwich, has played a full season in the Prem, has amazing skills which would have helped Ireland tremendously and ...er ... he is Irish. But they still keep going on about lower-league mediocre guys.

It must also hurt Wes that for years Ireland have been picking English-born players who would never get into the English side, but because their grandmother had once visited Ireland (I exaggerate) they pick them, rather than one of the best midfielders to have been born in Ireland for several years is passed over.

I admired the Ireland team for their commitment, but they lacked any skill or creativity in the midfield, anyone who could pass accurately on a reguular basis, let alone beat a tough-tackling defender with the ball .

Wes is about at his peak now, with experience added to his skills. I don''t know if he watched the matches involving Ireland, but if he did he must have been depressed at seeing his country with arguably the worst team at the tournament.

[quote user="Salopian"]

It must also hurt Wes that for years Ireland have been picking English-born players who would never get into the English side, but because their grandmother had once visited Ireland (I exaggerate)

[/quote]Tony Cascarino pulled an even bigger whopper! http://www.irishpost.ie/index.php/component/content/article/2-sport-news/440-cascarino-focus-of-88-can-fire-ireland