Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Joey Barton

Heard some rumours that Hughton is still a massive fan of Barton (with the feeling being mutual on JB''s part) and he will be looking to try and do him a deal. For those of you with short memories, Barton played the best football of his career under CH at Newcastle and was largely out of trouble for the period.

Maybe a move out to the quiet countryside would do him some good?

Putting aside my complete contempt for him as a human being for one second. How on earth are we going to afford the £80k a week wages if this was actually true?

No. Unless he pays us £80,000 a week for the privilege of playing here. He''s pretty clever tho he uses the controvery around him to distract people from the fact that  he''s a very average league one player at best.

Not wishing to display an extreme stance on this suggestion I will merely say that I hope not. Not in my lifetime. No. Not ever please.

Presumably if QPR released him and we gave a signing on fee, wages are less of an issue - though IMO the £ could be far better spent than on Barton.

Not specific to Barton, but I don''t get this ''his wages are ths or that'' which keep getting quoted as a reason for us not signing someone. IMO once you have reached a threshold, or time in your career, other things do become more important, as Iwan said the other day. Any average PL player for 1-2 seasons will have probably earned more in that time than the rest of will in a lifetime and will be well set whatever happens. Put it this way, no one is going to come to NCFC and be poor by any sensible measure. I think money isn''t always as big an issue as people think, though clearly is with some guys.

I don''t think we would take this well.    The problem with Barton is that he hasn''t learnt from his "mistakes".    If he looked as if he had genuinely changed his ways, maybe - but he just hasn''t.  He''s had enough chances.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]Not wishing to display an extreme stance on this suggestion I will merely say that I hope not. Not in my lifetime. No. Not ever please.[/quote]

DITTO

[quote user="The Mist"]No thankyou. Not unless we have completely misread the ethos of our club. We can (have) achieve success without the dubious support of a neanderthal.[/quote]That''s grossly unfair to Neanderthals[:)]

[quote user="The Raptor"]he uses the controvery around him to distract people from the fact that  he''s a very average league one player at best.

[/quote]

Taking as charitable a viewpoint as I can, I''m not sure if I agree with that.

If he concentrates on actually playing football, and cuts out the cheating ,fouling, histrionics, tiresome tweeting etc, he is, in fact ,a half decent player. In the unlikely event of that happening, Norwich are precisely the sort of club he could do a hell of a good job for.

BUT.......overall, I agree with most here. He''s had too many "last chances" and comes with far too much baggage, even for Hughton to get his head around. It would be an accident waiting to happen.

Do reckon that someone, somewhere will take a gamble on him at some stage in the next 8 months.

A year ago, I might have put up with Barton. But comments on twitter, his conduct on the pitch this season and loss of form, makes him a big big no.

He was a decent player, yes was a bit of an undesirable human being. But conduct on and off the pitch seem to be all he''s about these days, there has been little focus on the fact he''s not been as good a player at QPR. And he''s on a ridiculous wage, and for some reason captain.

No, would never want to see Barton pollute the yellow and green.

He''s a disgrace to life never mind football.

Arrogant, nasty, spiteful, self centered-need I go on?

This "man of the people" image thing though and all the Twitter bullshit-he''s got some clever PR around him though-and they''re doing well out of it.

Couldn''t agree more Shuck. He has played the Twitter card very shrewdly this year to help him mask the fact that he has been complete and utter pony all season. He got dropped by Mark Hughes at times and booed by his own fans at times he was so poor this year. The other factor to add in, is that if any club for some reason did want to sign him it would be pointless persuing him until January. He is going to sit out about the first 3 months of the season through suspension for an act of totally thuggery when QPR needed their captain.

Putting his attitude and the controversy surrounding him to one side, I don''t understand the hype he has as a footballer player. Never seemed really that good to me.

Kim Novak did a real good job of turning Frank Sinatra around in "Pal Joey."

She was even more effective at working her magic a couple of years earlier in "Man With A Golden Arm."

Are there any sexy blondes in Norfolk who we enlist as Joey Barton''s personal assistant? It could be a deal maker.

Kim Novak did a real good job of turning Frank Sinatra around in "Pal Joey."

She was even more effective at working her magic a couple of years earlier in "Man With A Golden Arm."

Are there any sexy blondes in Norfolk who we could enlist as Joey Barton''s personal assistant? It could be a deal maker.

Considering he''ll be banned for half of the season, no thanks!

Personally i would rather pour hot cheese in my ears than see him pull on a yellow shirt, i quite liked him as a player in his Newcastle days but now overated,overpaid and far far too much baggage we can do much better than him IMO

Just no. Dont care how good a player he is i dont want him anywhere near the club, hes just a violent little scumbag and would not be happy at all having him at the club. He was dire for QPR and as we all very well know his antics this season cost them three points against ourselves and if bolton would have won on the last he also probably would have cost them their premier league status.

[quote user="Larry David"]Heard some rumours that Hughton is still a massive fan of Barton (with the feeling being mutual on JB''s part) and he will be looking to try and do him a deal. For those of you with short memories, Barton played the best football of his career under CH at Newcastle and was largely out of trouble for the period. Maybe a move out to the quiet countryside would do him some good?[/quote]

Heard some rumours that there is no truth whatsoever in these rumours. If you insist on posting such nonsense, at least say it came from someone''s cousin.

I''m thinking of so-called "bad boys" of the game back in the 1970''s.

Billy Bremner springs immediately to mind.

Hot headed, fiery on and off the pitch, hard in the tackle and no stranger to the proverbial early bath-he even managed to get sent off in the Charity Shield. Like Barton now, he was talked about as much for who he was as he was as a footballer.

Yet he was an exceptional footballer, no question and one who put team before self. Barton isn;t so much fit not too lace his boots as not fit to lace the boots of the person who would have laced the boots of the person who would have laced the boots of the person who would have laced his boots.

I often think my support of NCFC is pretty much unconditional-short of the entire squad coming round and kicking the shit out of me before making off with all of my possessions whilst I laid bleeding in the street (although I''d probably have forgiven and forgotten the next day) so I guess that only our signing Barton would do the trick. There''s the dark side....and there''s the dark side and doing that would be, in the paraphrased words of the bloke in Spinal Tap; it''s like, how much more dark could this be? -and the answer is none. None more dark.