Sign in to follow this  
Ooh Ahh Lee Power

Dickson Etuhu

Lot of speculation that the likes of Stoke and Sunderland are after him with Fulham wanting £1.5m. Would you have him back here?

I think a strong defensive midfielder would help to support our sometimes shaky defence. Etuhu at 30 yrs old wouldn''t be a bad way to go!

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]Lot of speculation that the likes of Stoke and Sunderland are after him with Fulham wanting £1.5m. Would you have him back here? I think a strong defensive midfielder would help to support our sometimes shaky defence. Etuhu at 30 yrs old wouldn''t be a bad way to go![/quote]

Are you off your trolly??

I actually wasn''t that devastated to see Dickson go in the first place. I accept that on his day he could be very good. But we probably got that performance 1 in about every 6/7 games out of him. Which for me wasn''t acceptable for a player of his ability. The issue the first time around was what Peter Grant replaced him with.

I was at the Fulham away game and he got a hell of a lot of abuse from Norwich fans. Which actually I think is uncalled for, some players deserve the abuse he got, Muscatt for example, not Dickson.Huckerby always said he was the one player that needed ''love'', he had all the potential and wanted to be loved at NCFC. He was a great strong player here and then we offered him a contract that was woeful, sunderland offered 3 times as much. He has been a fine player, he has the build and strength. 1.5m is a bargain for many of the teams associated.I do think we need a younger version, I think Europe will have many and I do think we can look at Bolton''s Stuart Holden (he may not have the height, but he has the ability to excel).He has so much more and a great leader.

I don''t see what everyone found fascinating about him. Thought he was pretty ordinary myself and likewise wasn''t to fussed when he left. Def prefer Johnson over him.

I was under the impression he had "If found please return to the centre circle" on the back of his shirt.

No thanks!

In my opinion hes one of our best sells ever cause he wasn''t worth anywhere near £1.5M going on his overall performances for us. I still laugh when I think of the reason he went was cause Sunderland activated the relevant get out clause fee!

He only turned up when he felt like it, normally in high profile games, the Chelsea away game in the cup springs to mind!

Unspectacular, and hasn''t been a regular this last season. We can definitely find younger and hungrier players, average at best!

Just had a quick look on the ever trusted Football Manager (year 2015 so looking at potential) Emmanuel Badu is mighty impressive!Plays in Serie A in Italy though.

Dickson Etuhu Would not be welcome back purely on his performance on that Fulham away fixture. No feeling for the club and just gave up the ghost !

Strachans comment about Huckerby ''sometimes being a world beater then other times looking more like a carpet beater'' are more fitting of Etuhu, except in Etuthu''s case about 75% of the time the carpet looks like it''s beating him.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Just had a quick look on the ever trusted Football Manager (year 2015 so looking at potential) Emmanuel Badu is mighty impressive!Plays in Serie A in Italy though.

[/quote]good find nana ! Whats the transfer fee ?

Signing completely uncommitted players like this is what got our club into such a mess in the first place. Perhaps he would do well at Villa?

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Dickson Etuhu Would not be welcome back purely on his performance on that Fulham away fixture. No feeling for the club and just gave up the ghost ![/quote]Think you''ve confused him with Damien Francis, Etuhu didn''t sign for us till the championship season :)

As a player the thing that made him better than average were his physical attributes, very strong and quite quick for a central midfielder. Could hold off players and then burst past them, at 30 the physical aspects of his game will start to fade and what can he fall onto? He''s not technically gifted enough to deal with the loss of physicality (like Scholes) or intelligent enough football wise (like Giggs). In many ways he reminds me of Steven Gerrard (although not as good) a central midfielder who was always better than others because of his physical attributes but, like Gerrard, once those attributes desert him in the twilight of his career, he just won''t hold his own, let alone perform. 

As has already been pointed out, Etuhu was a confidence player to the extreme, which lead to us seeing the best he had to offer rarely, and absolute garbage the rest of the time.I wouldn''t want him back here if he was free and on League One wages! He wasn''t good enough to begin with and certainly isn''t now...

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="swindoncanary"]Dickson Etuhu Would not be welcome back purely on his performance on that Fulham away fixture. No feeling for the club and just gave up the ghost ![/quote]Think you''ve confused him with Damien Francis, Etuhu didn''t sign for us till the championship season :) [/quote]It''s a roundabout way of saying he didn''t turn up!

Thing with Dickson Etuhu is that when he was here there were plenty of people who didn''t think he was anywhere near good enough for us.

However, since then he''s gone on to play a fair bit of Premier League football, played a lot in the UEFA Cup (including a big part in Fulham''s run to the final) and played at the World Cup for Nigeria.

Now, I''m not saying he''s the most exciting or dynamic player ever but clearly the guy has got some good attributes and he''s obviously a bit better than some on here have given him credit for.

Not for me there are very few players who do well when they come back to a club and for me Dickson Etuhu is not one of the players who i think would do well here now im not  sure if he would be in the starting eleven or provide enough competetion for those players already in the squad. Previously we have bought players that were hungry and had a desire to play for me Etuhu does not fit the mould. Just my opinion.

[quote user="GJP"]

Thing with Dickson Etuhu is that when he was here there were plenty of people who didn''t think he was anywhere near good enough for us.

However, since then he''s gone on to play a fair bit of Premier League football, played a lot in the UEFA Cup (including a big part in Fulham''s run to the final) and played at the World Cup for Nigeria.

Now, I''m not saying he''s the most exciting or dynamic player ever but clearly the guy has got some good attributes and he''s obviously a bit better than some on here have given him credit for.

[/quote]
This has got to be true really - there are plenty of professional managers who have continued to pick him. However, every time I''ve seen him on MOTD or sky games since he has left us, I''ve still thought he''s looked distinctly average at best! Clearly I''m missing something though.

Etuhu seems to be like Otsembor.  A number of managers have signed, played and retained him but the reasons are not clear to anyone watching.  Yet, I also remember that Hucks is a big fan so there must be something.

The most insightful comment I''ve heard about Etuhu was in a live match a couple of years ago by Chris Waddle.   He saids that most players play the ball and move straight away into position to take the game forward.  Etuhu does not.  He stands and waits to see what will happen.  This explained why he can look forceful on the ball and bypassed when the opposition have it.  

I think we can abnd should do better.  the fact that a 30 year international with Pre experience is available at £1.5 million says a lot too.

[quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]this is all very true and his credentials back the fact up. when he played for us it was attitude... he really couldnt give a sh*t... funny how he played "Well" when the big teams came to town and the shop window of the TV cameras were about...he was only ever here for the big opportunity

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

This has got to be true really - there are plenty of professional managers who have continued to pick him. However, every time I''ve seen him on MOTD or sky games since he has left us, I''ve still thought he''s looked distinctly average at best! Clearly I''m missing something though.

[/quote]

I also don''t really get how so many people can be certain he isn''t "hungry" or doesn''t have the right attitude. I mean, how can you possibly know how motivated he is? It''s pure guess work being used to justify and validate despite having no substance.

I felt at Fulham when he came on as a sub he looked just like he used to do at City all too often - not that involved.

I can''t see why we would be interested in a player like him as he comes to the end of his career.