Sign in to follow this  
Canarino

Berbatov on the cheap

It appears that Malaga have made a bid of 6.5 million euros for him, according to the main MUFC forum. He''s the same age as Holt but with twice the talent, IMO. Posters on there seem to think it''s a reasonable sum for a player who is 31. Let''s give Everton a callback ASAP, please!

I''ve always been of the opinion, since our Captain handed in his request, that should we get a decent offer, we should take it. We''ve had the best of him. I think he will struggle to reach last seasons goal total and so I''m happy for us to move him on.

If Everton are willing to pay £6m I would drive Holt there myself. As long as he/they paid the fuel. I''m not made of money.

Isnt part of the issue his inconsistency - great one week then poor for 3-4 games - not got the same attitude to games 

He hasn''t really had the chance, has he? Permanent substitute, really, which has been a shame for a player of his class.

It should be simple really.    He''s captain.   First on the team sheet every week.   Should have been last season.  If needed he can be subbed later in game.    Still got a good couple of years in him (or three??). 

[quote user="lake district canary"]It should be simple really.    He''s captain.   First on the team sheet every week.   Should have been last season.  If needed he can be subbed later in game.    Still got a good couple of years in him (or three??). 

[/quote]

Who are we talking about here, LDC....Berbatov or Holt ? I assume it''s the latter .   If so, I can sort of  see where you are coming from up till the last sentence . That''s where we part company , particularly the bit in brackets !  I can only feel that you are letting your love for Holty cloud your judgment here. To suggest that he''s still got three top drawer years in the Prem left in him is verging on the world of fantasy, I''m afraid. And please do not give me any more about this "cameo role as an impact sub" stuff. Norwich are not the sort of club that can afford luxuries of that sort.

No, I''m sorry to say that the longer this fiasco goes on, the more evident it is to me that Holt sees his future elsewhere, and his committment to Norwich will be dulled. It''s make your mind up time now for both camps in this.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]It should be simple really.    He''s captain.   First on the team sheet every week.   Should have been last season.  If needed he can be subbed later in game.    Still got a good couple of years in him (or three??). 

[/quote]

Who are we talking about here, LDC....Berbatov or Holt ? I assume it''s the latter .   If so, I can sort of  see where you are coming from up till the last sentence . That''s where we part company , particularly the bit in brackets !  I can only feel that you are letting your love for Holty cloud your judgment here. To suggest that he''s still got three top drawer years in the Prem left in him is verging on the world of fantasy, I''m afraid. And please do not give me any more about this "cameo role as an impact sub" stuff. Norwich are not the sort of club that can afford luxuries of that sort.

No, I''m sorry to say that the longer this fiasco goes on, the more evident it is to me that Holt sees his future elsewhere, and his committment to Norwich will be dulled. It''s make your mind up time now for both camps in this.

[/quote]

I strongly agree with this, I think it is well worth some Norwich fans having a look at what happened at Bolton with Kevin Davies. He was offered a long term deal, and due to his wage commitments Bolton couldn''t afford to keep Elmander at the club. This season Bolton struggled to score goals as Davies looked every inch a player who was well past his peak.

Keeping on Holt is more than just a case of the club showing a bit of loyalty or a fan''s favourite being allowed to stay on. While he''s at the club the money he earns is being kept away from bringing in a younger better player, not to mention the fact squads are limited to 25 and he will be taking one of those places.

Surely if this rumour is true, it shows how good a potential offer of 6 mil or more for Holt really is.Berbatov is a world class player who should get in pretty much ANY premiership team, and if a situation is available whereby we can sell Holt for more than we can buy Berbatov - someone high up needs to make this happen.Wages will be massive, but realistically, if we''ve made close to 1 mil profit on the sale/purchase of the two of them, this can be used for the wage increase to a certain extent.That being said, I honestly don''t think Berbatov would come to us, as there''s plenty of bigger teams who''d be interested, but we should at least bother to ask the question.

How did a suggestion about Berbatov become another Holt discussion???  LDC - can we discuss the merits of theDB suggestion?

I re-state - talented footballer,  good goalscoring record can come across as lazy/uncommitted.   Can we afford to have any players in our squad who are not committed to the club every game? 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[/quote]

Who are we talking about here, LDC....Berbatov or Holt ? I assume it''s the latter .   If so, I can sort of  see where you are coming from up till the last sentence . That''s where we part company , particularly the bit in brackets !  I can only feel that you are letting your love for Holty cloud your judgment here. To suggest that he''s still got three top drawer years in the Prem left in him is verging on the world of fantasy, I''m afraid. And please do not give me any more about this "cameo role as an impact sub" stuff. Norwich are not the sort of club that can afford luxuries of that sort.  No, I''m sorry to say that the longer this fiasco goes on, the more evident it is to me that Holt sees his future elsewhere, and his committment to Norwich will be dulled. It''s make your mind up time now for both camps in this.

[/quote]

I strongly agree with this, I think it is well worth some Norwich fans having a look at what happened at Bolton with Kevin Davies. He was offered a long term deal, and due to his wage commitments Bolton couldn''t afford to keep Elmander at the club. This season Bolton struggled to score goals as Davies looked every inch a player who was well past his peak.   Keeping on Holt is more than just a case of the club showing a bit of loyalty or a fan''s favourite being allowed to stay on. While he''s at the club the money he earns is being kept away from bringing in a younger better player, not to mention the fact squads are limited to 25 and he will be taking one of those places.

[/quote]

I agree with alot of this too from both of you.   The conundrum is though - he is still on our books.    Is it better to sell him when it will be difficult to find a replacement for the same money?   That is the question.  Whether he has one or two good seasons left in him is something we won''t know unless we give him the chance.   As I said before he has been doubted before - as he is still on the books, I would like to see if he can do it again.   Agree too that it needs sorting soon.   I just wonder though if its one of those where we won''t get an outcome and he will just continue to be on the books................... 

lambert may be gone but we would be wise to keep his transfer ethos young and hungry with sell on potential not has beens who are expensive to run and not very hungry

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

How did a suggestion about Berbatov become another Holt discussion??? 

[/quote]

Well, ZLF, to be fair, the OP did bring Holt into the subject in her very first posting.  I guess the point made here is that If someone can snag Berbatov for 6m, then the alleged similar Everton Holt offer looks very generous.......

Personally; I''ll believe it when I see it.

How did a suggestion about Berbatov become another Holt discussion???  LDC - can we discuss the merits of theDB suggestion?

I re-state - talented footballer,  good goalscoring record can come across as lazy/uncommitted.   Can we afford to have any players in our squad who are not committed to the club every game? 

[/quote]

Errr - the way I read the thread was that it was a dig against Holt.    It is not a suggestion that we buy Berbatov.   Suggest you have another read of the op.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I re-state - talented footballer,  good goalscoring record can come across as lazy/uncommitted.   Can we afford to have any players in our squad who are not committed to the club every game?[/quote]The problem is that he''s SEEN as a lazy player, when in fact he really isn''t.There''s a strange economy of motion about Berbatov that makes him look like he''s not doing a lot, but he''s usually where he already needs to be and the wheels are furiously turning upstairs instead of running round like a headless chicken.He''s been shafted by Man Utd, and the chance to stick two fingers up and play for another side at this level to show his ability may be an option.I''d have him here in a hearbeat, as would my Spurs fan friend who''s desperate to have him back there.

Indy - perhaps thats the case but he has created an impression for me of being disinterested in some games i have watched.  His talent is not in doubt and if we can secure strong effort in 8/10 games he would be a bargain (probably of the season) and soon eclipse every other player here - but he could be our finidi george if he comes here uncommitted. 

LDC - horses for courses - I took the thread as a discussion around Berbatov as a viable signing at a cost similar to the rumoured Everton interest - Berbatov being a far more talented footballer (which is what Canrino is implying - and can hardly be argued against) with an excellent goalscoring record while Grant gives full committment and 70+ goals for us in 3 seasons.  Having re-read I dont see any digs at holt (just a comparison to cost) - but then I was not looking for one

Indy - perhaps thats the case but he has created an impression for me of being disinterested in some games i have watched.  His talent is not in doubt and if we can secure strong effort in 8/10 games he would be a bargain (probably of the season) and soon eclipse every other player here - but he could be our finidi george if he comes here uncommitted. 

LDC - horses for courses - I took the thread as a discussion around Berbatov as a viable signing at a cost similar to the rumoured Everton interest - Berbatov being a far more talented footballer (which is what Canrino is implying - and can hardly be argued against) with an excellent goalscoring record while Grant gives full committment and 70+ goals for us in 3 seasons.  Having re-read I dont see any digs at holt (just a comparison to cost) - but then I was not looking for one

[/quote]

You could be right, Zip.    I took it to mean that if Berbatov is worth 6 million, then we should bite anyones hand off for a 6 million bid for GH.  I don''t think anyone would seriously think we could attract Berbatov at his wages.

Good point. Bolton have already been mentioned in this thread, and of course they were the original exponents of getting slightly aged big-name players in for low transfer fees, but paying fat wages to compensate . On the field it worked (for a while),but the spiralling wage bill has come back to bite them on the bum, big style, as their gargantuan debt now illustrates.

Malaga, with all their Arab money sloshing around are well placed to use this strategy, and, as ZLF says, that''s not a dig at Holt. Just a comment on the yawning gap between the circumstances of Holt v Berbatov and Malaga v Norwich .

My point in starting this thread was indeed to point out that if we sold Holt for the sort of money being touted around, we could buy the likes of Berbatov, who in my book is a proper tried and tested top-class striker with lots still to offer. Yes, I know it''s all about the wages, but he''d be worth it for a couple of years!!