Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Holt Saga

I would have to say that I agree with most people''s assessment on here that the Holt saga needs to be settled one way or the other as soon as possible.

However, the interesting thing for me is a few weeks ago Holt & his agent were very attactive in spruiking his desire to leave.

Since CH''s appointment though, it has gone dead quite from those two, which means what?

Have we verbally agreed to the extra year and wages and it''s just waiting for CH to sign it off when he returns from holiday? Have we agreed to let him leave? Is Holt happy to stay now that a quality managerial replacement has been appointed?

It''s all this "what & why''s" that need to be sorted out but I have just found it interesting that all the aggitating went from overdrive to nothing.

For someone that was so motivated to leave it just seems funny to me.

I was also thinking this. My heart says that Holty has seen Hughton coming in as good enough reason to stay on and push on for next season. Although, my head says this is the quiet before the storm and we are waiting for the right offer to come in before we let him go, after all every man has his price.

well, I thought about this, then I was looking on twitter and remembered over the past 2 weeks he has had 2 weddings to go to, at least one was in a foreign country (Fox''s in Dubai) he also spent a week in Vegas etc. so unfortunately I think thats the reason.

Just in case anyone else was not sure;

SPRUIKING

Verb

spruik (third-person singular simple present spruiks, present participle spruiking, simple past and past participle spruiked)

1. (transitive, Australian) To promote a thing or idea to another person

Lennon spruiks laptop 28 years after his death — Headline, Sydney Morning Herald, December 30, 2008

I love that word!!

But how would it pronounce? Would it be "sproik" as in "oik" or "sprook" as in "spook" or is it two syllabul "sprew ick" as "cruet" ??

Maybe the clubs that he thought might be interested in him are not. Or they are but they won''t give hime a three year deal either [:^)]

[quote user="Oz Canary"]Since CH''s appointment though, it has gone dead quite from those two, which means what?[/quote]It means we don''t know exactly what''s going on, whether it''s been decided he''ll go or whether they''re sitting down over the table again, but at least there''s one thing positive about it - McNally and Holt and Payne aren''t playing it out over the press, which was a bit embarrassing for all of them. When everyone''s talking to the press it means they aren''t talking to each other. Now it''s silent, they may be.

hmmm.... so what does he mean by ''attactive'' ?  I always wanted to learn Aussie lingo.   

The club already agreed to Holt''s request when Lambert was here, around the time of Drury''s testimonial. Hopefully Holt may have had a change of heart and realised the grass isn''t always greener, especially as the club has agreed to what he wanted in the first place. On the other hand, I reckon someone may have had a quiet word in his ear that his actions on Twitter isn''t doing him any favours and also shows him in a bad light to prospective clubs. What interests me is that as Holt has rejected the contract he wanted from the club in favour of still wanting to leave, if no club meets our valuation and we refuse to sell, would we then retract that contract offer if we knew Holt was only here because we didn''t sell or would Holt be allowed to sign it anyway?

I know three people who know Holt or Holt and family in varying capacities.

One says that Holt definitely wants to leave.

Another says that Holt is open to staying and his wife isn''t keen on a move.

But the one who is in by far the best position to know what''s going says that it is 50/50, with Holt being pretty confident he can get a move to West Ham (or somewhere else).

Of course, any of those people could be talking rubbish. And, as it goes, I think the first person probably is talking rubbish, although they do know Holt, I can''t see that he''d discuss it with them.

I make no guarantees as to how accurate any of that is, it''s just what I''ve heard - and I''m not exactly known to be a rumour-monger.

I genuinely think that one of the reason''s was Lambert. There were those rumours that Holt and PL had a falling out a few weeks before the end of the season. Since PL has left, as you have mentioned, it has all gone quiet.

Maybe the "extra year" was a bit of a cover up. PL has also said he "had his reasons" for leaving and it was not to do with finances etc.

Now Hoooooootun has arrived maybe he''s ready to discuss his future once more..

Just a thought as you never know....

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]I genuinely think that one of the reason''s was Lambert. There were those rumours that Holt and PL had a falling out a few weeks before the end of the season. Since PL has left, as you have mentioned, it has all gone quiet. Maybe the "extra year" was a bit of a cover up. PL has also said he "had his reasons" for leaving and it was not to do with finances etc. Now Hoooooootun has arrived maybe he''s ready to discuss his future once more.. Just a thought as you never know....[/quote]

I''d like that to be the case but instead of remaining quiet after PL left, he did the opposite. Whilst we were still dealing with the news that Lambert had left, Holt tweeted just to remind everyone that he still wanted to leave the club, he then retweeted lots of tweets saying ''Holt for Villa'' etc. I honestly hope this can be resolved, but I''m not holding my breath.

[quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]I genuinely think that one of the reason''s was Lambert. There were those rumours that Holt and PL had a falling out a few weeks before the end of the season. Since PL has left, as you have mentioned, it has all gone quiet. Maybe the "extra year" was a bit of a cover up. PL has also said he "had his reasons" for leaving and it was not to do with finances etc. Now Hoooooootun has arrived maybe he''s ready to discuss his future once more.. Just a thought as you never know....[/quote]

I''d like that to be the case but instead of remaining quiet after PL left, he did the opposite. Whilst we were still dealing with the news that Lambert had left, Holt tweeted just to remind everyone that he still wanted to leave the club, he then retweeted lots of tweets saying ''Holt for Villa'' etc. I honestly hope this can be resolved, but I''m not holding my breath.

[/quote]A bit over the top...he retweeted 1 tweet which was about a charity event, and happened to have Holt4Villa at the endI agree it''s unlikely to be about Lambert though. It''s fairly clear he''s upset at feeling the club didn''t stick to their promise of a third year if he did well in the Premier League, especially after moving his family down

FWIW, The Moose, from Talksport, probably 70-30 in his ''What I hear'' predictions, seems very confident today Holt is joining West ham this week, via his Twitter feed.Now, if that fee is close to £5m, take it, take it quick, thank him for his fantastic service for three years and go find a younger model, add some of the transfer pot if necessary. Not sure who, that''s why Hughton is paid mega bucks.

[quote user="Armchair Follower"]

If GH fell out with PL. why are there so many rumours signing for Arseton Villa?

[/quote]

Because 99% of rumours are made up by idiots who need to find a way of making up for social inadequacies. Which makes it very hard to see the wood for the trees in the rare event of someone having genuine insider info.

If Holt is to be sold and imo he should not this season then regardless of the size of a fee we should not sell him to one of the clubs who will be in the relegation scrap with us. Everton fair enough but the likes of West ham no way his goals could keep them up and send us down. dont forget with 2 years on his contract it doesnt matter what he wants in the short term if we dont want to get rid he stays

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If Holt is to be sold and imo he should not this season then regardless of the size of a fee we should not sell him to one of the clubs who will be in the relegation scrap with us. Everton fair enough but the likes of West ham no way his goals could keep them up and send us down. dont forget with 2 years on his contract it doesnt matter what he wants in the short term if we dont want to get rid he stays[/quote]

I understand wjhere you''re coming from YC, but are we planning to be in the relegation scrap?   Shouldn''t we just be planning to do well and win every game?  I said this last season  but was laughed off the board - but at no stage last season were we involved in the relegation scrap.  I just think we ought to be positive and see how well the players respond to Hughton.   PL was not without his faults - he bought in good players.  It could be that those good players will do even better under a more cultured and experienced manager.   I''m hoping so...........

I agree that it is nice to be positive but looking around this season with 3 strong clubs being promoted and little weakness remaining from last season who are the realistic relegation candidates. For me it is us swansea wigan and the 3 promoted clubs with possibly the odd surprise eg fulham, WBA , Stoke or even Villa.I would love to be proved wrong but the prospect of a 12th placed finish lookes a long way away, given the disruption that we have had and players that have already gone and needing to be replaced

YC you are right the strength of this division and financial clout far out weighs what we can cater for.We will be in a relegation scrap and until we were mathmatically safe we were last season.