Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Reading sign statement of intent

New boys Reading have signed that Progrobnyak who was on loan at Fulham. He looked pretty sharp last season - good signing.

Apparently he''s on the whopping £63,000 a week, ridiculous! Reading have recently been taken over by some rich Russians, but still, a 4-year deal at that kind of money for a 28 year old, that''s stupid.Personally, I''m glad we aren''t shelling out stupid money for players like that.

Reading might have the financial clout, but their manager is not up to the job - no worries, they will struggle and he will be gone by Xmas.

[quote user="Orford65"]their manager is not up to the job[/quote]Really! What makes you say that? He might not be a big name with a lot of management experience, but he has done a very good job at Reading so far.

Good signing, stupid money.

Just wait till the day when all the investment from foreign super rich drys up, if we are in the premier league still and self sufficient we will be better placed than nearly everyone.

If the number quoted are true it’s a completely ridiculous signing. A few goals for Fulham and then Reading sign him on silly wages.

Brian McDermott has turned Reading into a successful team despite losing his best players every season. Now he has some money to spend, rather than forced to make it, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

For me, this signing is one I would never want Norwich to make.

Even my simple concept of all things mathematical, taking into account the suggested contract and terms suggests they have committed over £13 Million on him-and thats without a signing on fee, bonuses and anything else.

I was waiting for thread somewhere to ask "why weren''t we in for him? Lack of ambition etc etc", luckily, so far, so good...

Am guessing Reading might be splashing out because they reckon he might have, in even the short term, a hefty sell on value if he comes good-especially if a bigger club, here or the continent, takes a look at him. But that depends on a lot.

I''d be very worried if I was a Reading fan-the expense, the policy (from Leeds through to QPR and Blackburn, it goes on) and the effect it might have on other squad members. He looks a decent enough player-but thats it, decent, not a world beater.  Good luck to them-I think-big risk if its the case, big, big risk. Is PL survival worth it? That much? I guess it might be-but if they slip out, well...

"I''d be very worried if I was a Reading fan-the expense, the policy (from

Leeds through to QPR and Blackburn, it goes on) and the effect it might

have on other squad members."Leeds fans knew that the end for them was nigh when they signed Rio Ferdinand for silly money.  Is this Readings Rio moment ?  Or is this all bankrolled by Russian money ?

This may backfire on Reading. Imagine being an existing Reading player, you''ve scraped to get into the Prem, you''re on say, 8-10k a week max then along comes some guy on 63k a week. Doing the same training sessions, playing the same games as you. If I were another player, i''d be like "hang on a minute! I want more money"Also, the pressure on this one player coming in will be huge. 63K a week! Now he has to justify it, playing in one of the weaker prem sides.Sometimes, step by step progression is better than explosive progression.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]This may backfire on Reading. Imagine being an existing Reading player, you''ve scraped to get into the Prem, you''re on say, 8-10k a week max then along comes some guy on 63k a week. Doing the same training sessions, playing the same games as you. If I were another player, i''d be like "hang on a minute! I want more money"

Also, the pressure on this one player coming in will be huge. 63K a week! Now he has to justify it, playing in one of the weaker prem sides.

Sometimes, step by step progression is better than explosive progression.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly on this Michael. I''ve seen a fair few big(ish) names in the Euros that I''d like to see come to Norwich, including some Czechs, Poles and Croats, but I have to say Pogrebnyak was not one of them. I particularly liked the guy from Croatia with the German sounding name (Schedenfeld ?) who could do a great job for us , particularly as he seems very versatile in defence . But 63k a week for any of these people ? Ridiculous.

Oh Dear! If the £63K is true then I fear for McDermott.  The new owner may see himself as a new Abramovich, and splashing the cash is his way of being taken seriously in this League. Value for money does not even come close, and as a consequence, the new owner may want a big (managerial) name to go with his upwardly mobile Club

[quote user="Orford65"]Reading might have the financial clout, but their manager is not up to the job - no worries, they will struggle and he will be gone by Xmas.
[/quote]

Don''t let Smodg.. I mean Green Jack see you saying that, he is one of the secret six he is prepared to name who he would prefer to Hughton.

He''s a good player but is he worth 63 grand a week?  I don''t think so.

I''m glad we''re not going to do anything like this.  Evolution not revolution as Chris Hughton said.

People seem very keen to sell Holt but if we do the management/scouting team would have a big job on their hands to replace him. Overpriced deals like this from similar stature clubs such as Reading suggest that we could easily get outbid when trying to sign any player capable of scoring 15 league goals.

Depends how you view this one. Scored a few for Fulham and is a Russian international. I guess his market value would be about £10m and they have got him for free. This being the case the overall package doesnt seem as shocking as initially appears

I agree the wages are high but he could have signed for a mid table premiership club with the form he showed at Fulham.He was a top striker since his move and clearly will score a fair few for reading. Great signing, but agree the wages are dramatic, but welcome to the premiership and signing an international striker who has already made an impresiion in this league.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

[quote user="Michael Starr"]This may backfire on Reading. Imagine being an existing Reading player, you''ve scraped to get into the Prem, you''re on say, 8-10k a week max then along comes some guy on 63k a week. Doing the same training sessions, playing the same games as you. If I were another player, i''d be like "hang on a minute! I want more money"

Also, the pressure on this one player coming in will be huge. 63K a week! Now he has to justify it, playing in one of the weaker prem sides.

Sometimes, step by step progression is better than explosive progression.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly on this Michael. I''ve seen a fair few big(ish) names in the Euros that I''d like to see come to Norwich, including some Czechs, Poles and Croats, but I have to say Pogrebnyak was not one of them. I particularly liked the guy from Croatia with the German sounding name (Schedenfeld ?) who could do a great job for us , particularly as he seems very versatile in defence . But 63k a week for any of these people ? Ridiculous.

[/quote]

Cant agree more :) He looked quite weak in the game where they unleashed him and I think he will be a flop compared his cost. Dont know what they think in Reading''s board.

(You by the way probably ment Gordon Schildenfeld who is currently playing in Eintracht Frankfurt which was promoted to Bundesliga previous season. So wouldnt be bad signing as I saw somewhere his cost would be around 1,5mil to 3 mil and his wage should be currently under 15k if not under 10k.

Another Centre Back who got my attention and could be in our payrange was that polish Damien Perquis whose fighting attitude was top notch. Finnish commentator said his contract is running out 2013 summer and I doubt his salary is over 15k either as Sochaux is bottom half team.)

[quote user="Lavanche"]Cant agree more :) He looked quite weak in the game where they unleashed him and I think he will be a flop compared his cost. Dont know what they think in Reading''s board.

(You by the way probably ment Gordon Schildenfeld who is currently playing in Eintracht Frankfurt which was promoted to Bundesliga previous season. So wouldnt be bad signing as I saw somewhere his cost would be around 1,5mil to 3 mil and his wage should be currently under 15k if not under 10k.

Another Centre Back who got my attention and could be in our payrange was that polish Damien Perquis whose fighting attitude was top notch. Finnish commentator said his contract is running out 2013 summer and I doubt his salary is over 15k either as Sochaux is bottom half team.)[/quote]
Can''t say I''ve noticed Schildenfeld, but will watch out for him.
Being Polish, I have watched Perquis quite a lot, and the guy is just a pure warrior. In the game against Russia, he had a sixpence size hole put in his shin by the stud off someone''s boot, and his hand stamped on (accidentally) and he just got up and got on with it. Oh yeah, did I mention he was playing with a fractured elbow too? In addition to being a real warrior and fighter, he is big, quick and also a very accomplished player. Would be within our price range in terms of fee and wages I would think, and would be a fantastic addition to the squad. Number 1 target for CB if I were manager.

It is very tough to judge a player off the back of one game. However Schildenfeld was an absolute monster against the Spanish I thought. He got in the way of just about everything they threw at Croatia. As for Progrebnyak he has done the business in the Premier League for 8 games and now someone is willing to give him £63k a week for 4 years. There are two questions which emerge here about this signing. Firstly is this is a signing Brian McDermott actually wants. Given that the owner is said to have flown to Russia personally to talk to Progrebnyak it may just be the owner''s choice. The other worry I would have if I was Reading is whether this bloke will be another Gaydamak. 4 years is a long time to honour a contract and is potentially not be sustainable for Reading.

Even if his wages are £63k a week (which I doubt) that would represent an outlay of £13m, which although sounds a lot I imagine the total package Southampton have just spent on Jay Rodriguez is probably equal to, if not more than.

Who knows, there is probably a relegation release clause in the contract meaning Reading can get out of it if things go badly. Every Reading fan would have said that their main weakness was going to be scoring goals - they have just added a player who was execptional for Fulham - anyone who was at the Fulham away game would have seen how even with 3 centre backs we couldn''t contain him and it wasn''t until he was injured we managed to get into the game.

The owners of Reading may have indentified Pavel as a transfer targer, but I''m McDermott will welcome him with open arms - especially if he can contiune his form from last year.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Even if his wages are £63k a week (which I doubt) that would represent an outlay of £13m, which although sounds a lot I imagine the total package Southampton have just spent on Jay Rodriguez is probably equal to, if not more than.

[/quote]
The reported wages for Rodriguez are 25k per week - if true that equates to roughly 5.2 million over his 4 year deal so yeah - your maths is pretty spot on.

Silly move by Reading especially on such high wages. Know he done well at fulham last season but you look at his goalscoring record before then it really isnt brilliant

Looks quality. Don''t know why many think he may not emulate his first half-season. Came in to a strange league and hit the ground running. Will only improve IMHO. Very good signing.

Of course the main the difference between Pogrebnyak and Rodriguez is age and the chances are that Rodriguez will have a decent sell on value provided he stays fit and in form where as Pogrebnyak will not, especially on his wages.

Various reports conflict with the reported 63k. A few at least reporting it''s 30k per week, 6mill over 4 years.