Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is one, old, frail woman blocking true investment in City?

Living remote from the fine City, as I do, I talk to many more supporters of other sides than most. Everyone takes the pee out of the Delia rant, but then so do we. But everyone also speaks about the club with a fair degree of respect, for want of a better word; I have never had the impression of people considering us as ''little old Norwich''.

This is the truth from talking to real people, rather than an opinion formed by wandering about the internet winding up other keyboard warriors....I know whose opinion I trust more.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Living remote from the fine City, as I do, I talk to many more supporters of other sides than most. Everyone takes the pee out of the Delia rant, but then so do we. But everyone also speaks about the club with a fair degree of respect, for want of a better word; I have never had the impression of people considering us as ''little old Norwich''.

This is the truth from talking to real people, rather than an opinion formed by wandering about the internet winding up other keyboard warriors....
I know whose opinion I trust more.[/quote]There''s no room for your sort here...

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="lake district canary"]

There is investment and there is investment.   What most of us posters see and want to see is a club run on good business lines.    A new investor that can put in a decent amount of money to push the club forward would be good.   But not a sugar daddy who will pump in millions of pounds and in the process destroy the soul of the club and encourage greed and false expectancy, massive wages and mercenary players/managers. As usual it is the middle ground that we really need and as usual we''ve got everybody here thinking in black or white.  An investor would be good - but as has been said by the board - only one that will adhere to the traditions of the club. 

Simples.

[/quote]

But LDC, a sugar daddy (Foulger) and sugar mummy (Delia) is what we have now, and they have been absolutely supurb with regards to putting money into the club. An investor would want to be taking money out of the club in the form of a return on investment. Which is the better alternative for the club? I suggest the way forward after Delia and MWJ have retired is sponsorship rather than investment, in the way that the owners of Man City are using that club to promote a global brand awareness. The club doesn''t then have to provide a monetary return on investment but still gets sizeable amounts of finance pumped in. Sure there would be a price to pay for fitting in with the global brand (eg. pre-season friendlies in the desert, for example) but much less threatening than an outright investor (viz.1p5wich...).   Also there was a Man City supporter on here a while back posting about the good things the owners were doing within the Manchester community, a win-win situation, surely?And Purple Canary please stop agreeing with me, I am trying to be your nemesis thank you very much.

[/quote]

What I was trying to say is that investors, or sugar daddies, whatever you want to call them, are ok as long as they don''t have too much money.   It has to be proportionate to the scale of the club.     The last thing we want is someone with trillions who comes in and suddenly we are paying £50k + a week to players.   This type of behaviour rips the soul out of their clubs - Villa. Liverpool etc etc who are shadows of what they once were.    

The only club who have kept their dignity in this scenario is Wigan - who have a benefactor who is a local hero.  Like what she has done or not, we have our own benefactor  in Delia Smith  and our club is better for it.    Ok she doesn''t have the financial clout of a Dave Whelan, but our club is still deeply based around it''s locality and that is how it should be.    Sugar daddies and investors from abroad can stay away.  I would rather have less money than be beholden to someone who comes in that would take over the club and turn it into a rich man''s toy. 

[/quote]

I would make a distinction between between investors and sugar daddies. I might be wrong about this but I get the idea that a sugar daddy is someone more benign - prepared to put his/her money into the club and then stand back and let the competent people run the club. I agree with what you say about our club being based around it''s locality and I think you''re suggesting that the ownership should be locally based,or at least, have roots in Norfolk.

That''s the way it used to be before Sky and big bucks arrived, and outside the Premiership that is still largely true. Like Purple Canary said (and I wish he would take some summer holidays so he wouldn''t have to keep on agreeing with me), the matter of most concern now is not the immediate future, but more the post-Delia future. What kind of ownership are we likely to get?  Two billionaires are not to be, that is the question.    

[quote user="Grantham Canary"]WIZ you just talk out your ar5e i find just about everything you say boring, dull and its usually an attempt at getting some attention for yourself. Of course to you any attention is better than no attention EVEN IF ITS NEGATIVE!!!!!!![/quote]

Wow! [:D]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Grantham Canary"]WIZ you just talk out your ar5e i find just about everything you say boring, dull and its usually an attempt at getting some attention for yourself. Of course to you any attention is better than no attention EVEN IF ITS NEGATIVE!!!!!!![/quote]

[/quote]It does beg the question that if GC thinks that, why does he (and others) bother reading Wiz''s threads?

For anyone else like Rock The Boat angst-ridden at finding themslves nodding along with my posts there is a helpline, PurpleCanaryics Anonymous. Moving on, we seem to be trying to envisage what kind of owner will be next. Since there will be a new owner at some point. Of the various kinds that spring to mind:

1. Someone from the current board. Apart from Foulger none is wealthy (in foortball terms) and I believe Foulger''s wealth, such as it is, is tied up in his company. It would only become available if he sold up. And even then we are probably talking in tens of millions rather than hundreds, or billions. Is that enough?

2. A mega-rich fan. A few names have been mentioned but their level of fan-ness seems questionable, and in some cases at one remove.

3. A consortium of well-off but not mega-rich fans. Who actually would be the owner (possibly Foulger) and would collectively there be enough money? Assuming, for these purposes, that although Financial Fair Play may be reasonably effective there will still be advantages to having a wealthy owner. For infrasturucture projects and the like. And if FFP has exploitable loopholes then nothing will have changed.

4. A corporate owner, domestic or foreign. Ie, one in which owning NCFC is part of a business strategy, with making a profit a key component. Think the Glazers at Manchester United. Possibly the Venkys at Blackburn. Quite.

5. The fashion accessory owner. Think Abramovich or Fayed.

6. The mega-rich non-fan who falls in love owner. Similar to the fashion accessory owner in that love overshadows the balance sheet. Possibly Lerner, or Berylson at Millwall, although in the former''s case the balance sheet seems to be coming up fast in the rear-view mirror. Warren Buffett is the prime example of a mega-rich non-fan whose life won''t be complete until he becomes enamoured of some English football club, so it might as well be NCFC.

If it is 5. or 6. or even one of the other categories (apart from 4. which has little to recommend it) how do Smith and Jones ensure that fine words and good intentions from the would-be owner become reality? One way is the much more democratic German model, with community interests represented, but that is different to anything we have in England. Another is the supporter-director, such as they have at Swansea, and which is the aim of the various supporters'' trusts, including that for NCFC. I have always been unconvinced by their arguments, because I suspect (and there is anecdotal evidence for this ) that the S-D is powerless (one vote among several) and is also used as lip-service to democracy.

But I would go for Smith and Jones insisting that any sale included provision for an S-D who represented not just the fans but Norfolk as a whole (since NCFC is as much part of the county as The Broads, or the Anglican cathedral, or the liberal legacy of the Quakers) with a golden share veto over a few crucial heritage issues, such as stadium relocation AND any future change of ownership. A naive pipedream? Possibly. Or an idea whose time is coming? It would certainly winnow out those in it purely for profit. They would never agree to it. But the fashion accessory owner and the falling in love non-fan ought to have no problem with it, and neither should Foulger or anyone in categories 2. or 3.

[quote user="The Pink''un Role Model"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

It does beg the question that if GC thinks that, why does he (and others) bother reading Wiz''s threads?

There are some very rare moments when he gets thing right, like on a previous page when he attributed our success to DS & MWJ.

[quote user="TCCANARY"][quote user="The Pink''un Role Model"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

It does beg the question that if GC thinks that, why does he (and others) bother reading Wiz''s threads?

There are some very rare moments when he gets thing right, like on a previous page when he attributed our success to DS & MWJ.

[/quote]

Not sure I quite said that TC, you naughty little scamp you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure I quite said that TC, you naughty little scamp you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure I quite said that TC, you naughty little scamp you. [6]

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"][quote user="Wiz"] 

The majority of replies on here imo, just confirm what I''ve always thought, that until the Stowmarket two are history, we will always be known as little old Norwich with that drunken cook..........and be aware, thats what other clubs fans say not I.

[/quote]

Have to say I get mates of mine, non NCFC fans, who take the mick about Delia whenever we''re on Sky as they want to know if she''s going on the pitch at half-time.
[/quote]

What your non NCFC mates'' views add to this debate I''m not sure, just about every club has an image that fun can be poked at.

Doing the same thing three times and not remembering what you said yesterday, you''re senile.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

I wasn''t aware that there was a copyright or "ownership" on threads.

Where possible, I try to read most threads, but only post on the ones that interest me or I feel I have something to say that will enhance the debate. Within the threads you tend to get to know the contibutors who have interesting  valid points, and those who do not. I''m afraid that to my mind, Wiz falls firmly into the second category, as ,in the main he writes only about one hobby horse subject, and we all know what his view is, and have done for months.

So,PURM, it''s perfectly possible to read a thread that contains a "contribution " from Wiz, but discount it, and enjoy the rest of the thread.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

Doing the same thing three times and not remembering what you said yesterday, you''re senile.

[/quote]

Oh Dear - you''ve just made me realise I''m senile!!!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Oh Dear - you''ve just made me realise I''m senile!!!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Oh Dear - you''ve just made me realise I''m senile!!!

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

I wasn''t aware that there was a copyright or "ownership" on threads.

Where possible, I try to read most threads, but only post on the ones that interest me or I feel I have something to say that will enhance the debate. Within the threads you tend to get to know the contibutors who have interesting  valid points, and those who do not. I''m afraid that to my mind, Wiz falls firmly into the second category, as ,in the main he writes only about one hobby horse subject, and we all know what his view is, and have done for months.

So,PURM, it''s perfectly possible to read a thread that contains a "contribution " from Wiz, but discount it, and enjoy the rest of the thread.

[/quote]I thought it was perfectly obvious I was referring to the ones Wiz starts, that GC claimed he talks out of his arse. Sorry if that confused you.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[/quote]

Not I, this damn usless message board, still you knew that! [:|]