Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Burke, Butland, Davies, Yobo ....and Holt

Chris Burke would be a really good signing and I''m not at all surprised Hughton would be interested in signing him.

Had a very high number of assists for Birmingham, a good injury record there and at Cardiff, and is unlikely to cost a huge amount.

A really underrated player.

I can see the three from Brum and I can see why Hughton would wnat to sign them,  but Yobo, you have to be joking, the guy would be on big wage and pretty much a bench warmer at best!

I still believe we will end up with Gunter as a replacement for Drury and Rhodes or Chris Wood as a replacement for Holt.

I heard a little rumour over the weekend that we enquired about Matt Phillips and Ince from Blackpool.

Should be an interesting week ahead.

And like others have said, We don''t need another keeper, Unless Ruddy is not letting on about his intentions.

Matt Phillips was a rumour back in Jan (and/or Ince) so not a bad shout (particularly if Lambo was still here) - I was wondering whether Hughton might have different targets but the same guys often get linked whoever is in charge.

You get the impression at things will start moving this week - seems CH has now had his holiday so the real business can begin....

Now that interest in the Euros is over, it''s recruitment time (I don''t suppose we''re likely to be in the market for anyone Spanish, German, Portuguese or Italian !). My guess is that the Holt thing will be sorted this week, and my hunch is that he''ll be off. So we''re looking at at least 5 signings, and it''s remarkable how often these rumours in the press/ net turn out to be just that...rumour. The reality is usually that most signings are NOT predicted, and I''m pretty sure that there''ll be at least 3 people coming to CR that are real surprise names. That said, I''d guess that the Gunter rumour might just turn out to be true.

Joseph Yobo....thats an interesting sugestion.

DOB 6/9/80---> 32 this September

6'' 2" tall

Nigerian International

Can play RB, CB and even midfield apparently.

If he is cheap he might do us for a season or two and bring some experience to our defence.

League app.

Everton                204+16 apps         8 goals

Marseille               23 apps                0 goals

Standard Leige      46 apps               2 goals

We don''t need Burke. He''s decent enough but lightweight and no better than the two wingers we have. If we are going to poach any winger from Birmingham then we should go for Redmond.

From one or two thinks I have heard I think Davies may well be our first signing.

According to the Birmingham Mail, Burke won 2 POTS awards last month, and had the most assists in the whole of the Championship:

"Burke was named as the player-of-the-season and players’ player-of-the-season at last night’s annual awards dinner at the ICC in Birmingham.

The winger has not only scored 14 goals but leads the assists charts in the Championship. He has 18 all told.

And his general tricky flank play, allied to a hard-working attitude, has been a key in lifting Blues to the Championship play-offs with a fourth-place finish in the division.Burke was mystifyingly overlooked for the PFA Championship team-of-the-season.

But his Blues peers had no hesitation in naming him their main man."

I don''t get Butland at all - we already have two very promising young but inexperienced keepers, why a third?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

We don''t need Burke. He''s decent enough but lightweight and no better than the two wingers we have. If we are going to poach any winger from Birmingham then we should go for Redmond.

From one or two thinks I have heard I think Davies may well be our first signing.

[/quote]

Think Burke is a decent player but agree we should definitely go for Redmond, he''s raw but has massive, potential and versatility, could be a direct replacement for hoolahoop but also has the pace to play out on the wing. He''s also relatively under the radar at the moment, give it another season and bigger clubs than us will start sniffing around.

I don''t go in for this "let''s go shoppng at the Euros" idea. History is littered with signings of players who lit up the Euros and then comprehensively failed to reproduce the same form after a big move to the Prem. All the Euros do is inflate the prices of players you had previously never heard of because they weren''t that great anyway, they hit a purple patch because they were playing for their country, then go back to being mediocre. The only players worth looking at are players we already knew about and are hence way out of our range.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t get Butland at all - we already have two very promising young but inexperienced keepers, why a third?[/quote]Its a strange one but the rumours seem to be pretty constant that Hughton wants him , with the England No3 and two very able youngsters already at the club you can only guess that Hughton feels Ruddy will be sold or he believes Butland is the better keeper . One things for sure, if the £4 million price tag is anywhere near correct we would not be signing him as cover for Ruddy.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Joseph Yobo....thats an interesting sugestion.

DOB 6/9/80---> 32 this September

6'' 2" tall

Nigerian International

Can play RB, CB and even midfield apparently.

If he is cheap he might do us for a season or two and bring some experience to our defence.

League app.

Everton                204+16 apps         8 goals

Marseille               23 apps                0 goals

Standard Leige      46 apps               2 goals

[/quote]
He''s a good shout but will 100% sign with Fenerbahce. Been on loan there for past two seasons and they''re signing him on a cut price deal - Around 1.5 or 2mill because he has told Everton he won''t go anywhere else.

[quote user="kick it off"]
He''s a good shout but will 100% sign with Fenerbahce. Been on loan there for past two seasons and they''re signing him on a cut price deal - Around 1.5 or 2mill because he has told Everton he won''t go anywhere else.
[/quote]

I don''t think wingers or goalkeepers are really the priority at the moment. We have an alarming lack of cover in the central defence and full back areas. This area should be strengthened first. Only then would I look elsewhere. I think getting Davies is the priority. Given that Jordan Mutch has been sold to Cardiff even though Birmingham dont have a manager this shows what finanical difficulty they are in. I think a decent offer will land Davies pretty comfortably.

[quote user="Ncfc"][quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t get Butland at all - we already have two very promising young but inexperienced keepers, why a third?[/quote]Its a strange one but the rumours seem to be pretty constant that Hughton wants him , with the England No3 and two very able youngsters already at the club you can only guess that Hughton feels Ruddy will be sold or he believes Butland is the better keeper . One things for sure, if the £4 million price tag is anywhere near correct we would not be signing him as cover for Ruddy.[/quote]Butland is only 19 and has never even played for Brum. There is no chance at all that he would  be considered as a replacement for Ruddy.  I think the story is complete rubbish.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Butland is only 19 and has never even played for Brum. There is no chance at all that he would  be considered as a replacement for Ruddy.  I think the story is complete rubbish. [/quote]Agreed. This is 2+2=55 stuff by the press. Clearly journalists who haven''t done their research trying to make a name for themselves by being able to claim a scoop by chance. I would listen to what people say on this messageboard more than what journalists say at this time of the year to be honest.

[quote user="Kolin Kob"][quote user="tom cavendish"]

Butland is only 19 and has never even played for Brum. There is no chance at all that he would  be considered as a replacement for Ruddy.  I think the story is complete rubbish.
[/quote]

Agreed. This is 2+2=55 stuff by the press. Clearly journalists who haven''t done their research trying to make a name for themselves by being able to claim a scoop by chance. I would listen to what people say on this messageboard more than what journalists say at this time of the year to be honest.
[/quote]

To be fair its no different to Lambert signing Holt / Ruddy / any other Norwich players.  Journalists seem to decide that because a manager has signed a player (or even just managed a player) before he''ll want to do so again.  To be fair Lambert did sometimes work like this - and most managers like to work with people they know - but I think its a case of if you repeat the story enough times one will eventually come true - and then you can claim you had an exclusive scoop....

[quote user="star_manic"]we are speculating on gossip mongering in the daily fail ffs, let''s get a little perspective.[/quote]

Well, what do you recommend then? I mean for perspective.

Doesn''t appear to be anything of interest in the Guardian or Telegraph today - and I don''t subscibe to The Times.

[:(]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="star_manic"]we are speculating on gossip mongering in the daily fail ffs, let''s get a little perspective.[/quote]

Well, what do you recommend then? I mean for perspective. Doesn''t appear to be anything of interest in the Guardian or Telegraph today - and I don''t subscibe to The Times.[/quote]

Since when have you deemed something has to be interesting to warrant starting a new thread? It''s never bothered you before! [^o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="star_manic"]we are speculating on gossip mongering in the daily fail ffs, let''s get a little perspective.[/quote]

Well, what do you recommend then? I mean for perspective. Doesn''t appear to be anything of interest in the Guardian or Telegraph today - and I don''t subscibe to The Times.[/quote]

Since when have you deemed something has to be interesting to warrant starting a new thread? It''s never bothered you before! [^o)]

[/quote]

Just having a cheeky little look from Lanzarote and must just say this made me.........[:D]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="star_manic"]we are speculating on gossip mongering in the daily fail ffs, let''s get a little perspective.[/quote]

[/quote]

Just having a cheeky little look from Lanzarote and must just say this made me.........[:D]

[/quote]

[|-)] Back to sleep now.

Now where is just where is this Lanzarote? Surprised you''re giving Great Yarmouth a miss this year. [:O]

[;)]

OTBC

I Think part of the deal Birmingham agreed with Lee Clarke was not of the team would be sold, So it could get bumpy for someone

[quote user="pete_norw"]I Think part of the deal Birmingham agreed with Lee Clarke was not of the team would be sold, So it could get bumpy for someone[/quote]

Bloody fingers, that should be none of the players be sold

I think a massive benefit of getting Hughton in is that he probably knows his lower league players from last season. It was a formula that worked last year for Lambert and one I''d prefer than Steve Bruce coming in and signing some thirty-year-old cloggers.

Ince and Phillips are great shouts but I''ve also heard Davies and Matt Mills touted. Maybe a Whittingham, Boyd, Gunter, McGugan, Nugent etc. The likes of Pilks, Howson and R Martin definitely show you can get lower league players and make them Prem-worthy