Sign in to follow this  
paul moy

Beckham not selected for Olympics

Who decided on Pearce?   The FA?  Wouldn''t be surprised.

Beckham would have been an ideal figurehead for a team GB, with a coach alongside him.   

Another footballing cock up in motion...................

Should have picked Bechham

Also explains why Richards didn''t want to be on England standby.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Beckham would have been an ideal figurehead for a team GB, with a coach alongside him.   

[/quote]

He can still be a figurehead (which he will be) but not take the place of another player who is more deserving of a place on the team.

This isn''t an exhibition, but a serious international tournament that many other nations use to develop younger players - Hodgson said he would be watching the team to see who shines well with an eye to moving them into the main team.

Why on earth should he be picked?The team needs to be picked on merit, and it''s no surprise that the 3 ''over age'' are players who have all performed well in the PL this season.  Beckham doesn''t deserve to be in the team at all.  If we seriously want to win gold then sentiment should have no hold on this team whatsoever, so I''m glad he hasn''t been picked.

Surprised Bale hasn''t been picked to be honest!

Actually, just realised Bale is 22, so he might be...

Beckham cant be picked on past glories... like it or not he plays in a league which is championship level at best....it isnt 2002 anymore...i wouldnt say he was "past it" as such but he has had his day.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

He can still be a figurehead (which he will be) but not take the place of another player who is more deserving of a place on the team. This isn''t an exhibition, but a serious international tournament that many other nations use to develop younger players - Hodgson said he would be watching the team to see who shines well with an eye to moving them into the main team.

[/quote]

My point (which I didn''t make clear) was that Beckham would have made a good figurehead as manager - perhaps with a coach to work alongside him to tell him what to do!! [:)] 

Good. I might actually watch it if we are taking the tournament seriously. Beckham effectively retired from top level football when he moved to the US and that was a few years ago.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]Good. I might actually watch it if we are taking the tournament seriously. Beckham effectively retired from top level football when he moved to the US and that was a few years ago.
[/quote]

true.. glad becks didnt get the call. Doesn''t deserve it at all. Glad for Richards though. May get his time to shine in an international platform

I feel quite strongly on this. Based on how boring the Euros have been who would you rather have take a free kick outside the area. I for one would have Beckham every time. Poor decision.

[quote user="Rustyboy"]I feel quite strongly on this. Based on how boring the Euros have been who would you rather have take a free kick outside the area. I for one would have Beckham every time. Poor decision.[/quote]

What about his contribution in the rest of the game rustyboy?  I am pleased he isn''t being used as a ''name''. Perhaps Hodgson has had some influence if he has said he will be looking at the talent

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

He can still be a figurehead (which he will be) but not take the place of another player who is more deserving of a place on the team.

This isn''t an exhibition, but a serious international tournament that many other nations use to develop younger players - Hodgson said he would be watching the team to see who shines well with an eye to moving them into the main team.

[/quote]

Its not really a serious international tournament though is it. No proper football fans care about the Olympics football or who wins it. Its basically exhibition football. After his role in the bid its very harsh to leave out Becks, especially when Pearce has picked 2 Welsh overage players who both play on the left side.

There''s no reason why Beckham couldn''t have been given a role similar to Pirlo''s, where his age and speed aren''t an issue and we can instead get the best out of his range of passing in a central position.You then also have his set piece ability for FK''s and CK''s, and he''s a natural leader on the pitch and highly respected as well.I don''t really mind either way regarding his omittance, but it''s not as clear cut as some make out - you just need to think a bit more outside the box.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not really a serious international tournament though is it. No proper football fans care about the Olympics football or who wins it. Its basically exhibition football. After his role in the bid its very harsh to leave out Becks, especially when Pearce has picked 2 Welsh overage players who both play on the left side.

[/quote]

Maybe no fans in the UK, but it is taken massively seriously in the rest of the World. Also it is great experience for young players of playing tournament football - I suggest you look at the Argentina squad from 2008 if you think it is just ''exhibition'' football.

It''s a shame not to see him going.  I don''t think we''d win it anyway but Beckham still has skills to offer such as free-kicks and crossing, even if only as a sub. There''s still nobody better IMO.  The cynic in me says that he was included in the original squad to sell tickets.    

The idea he deserves to be in the squad because of his presence in our awarding of the Games is a ridiculous notion. Why not get Seb to have a run, too?

The two Welsh elders included have both had successful seasons in the Premier League whilst Beckham has been in the MLS - it''s good to see we''re taking it serious.

Also, the argument about playing a ''Pirlo'' character, if that was a creditable case then Beckham would surely miss out again to Scholes, the only real statesman we possess of the same ilk. Or, and as I''d prefer, go for Wilshere if he''s back from injury in time.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Beckham cant be picked on past glories... like it or not he plays in a league which is championship level at best....it isnt 2002 anymore...

i wouldnt say he was "past it" as such but he has had his day.
[/quote]

Giggs isn''t the player he once was and we''re always told that Bellamy can''t play too often in a short space of time.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Beckham cant be picked on past glories... like it or not he plays in a league which is championship level at best....it isnt 2002 anymore...

i wouldnt say he was "past it" as such but he has had his day.
[/quote]

Giggs isn''t the player he once was and we''re always told that Bellamy can''t play too often in a short space of time.

[/quote]

Though I should add that I take your point that he''s not playing the strongest of leagues.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

S. Pearce = nearly man =  but really failure man.

"Its not really a serious international tournament though is it. No proper football fans care about the Olympics football or who wins it. Its basically exhibition football."

That might be so now, but it could change. It is as serious as any other Olympic event and I enjoyed our medals haul from Beijing and hope that we can emulate it this time round, especially as it is London. I recall being abroad at the time and some Aussie drinking fellows I met were paticularly and genuinely jealous of our successes compared to their own.  

I would like to see at least a bronze from this competition and I will bet you that if we do get on in the competition that it will be more than proper football fans who become interested.

I recall how much interest the British Men''s Hockey Team generated a few years back when they did well and we even subsequently got worked up about a curling competition at a Winter Olympics.

The release of patriotic instincts are best done through sporting events than through more violent means IMO. I would cheer on a Brit. in an egg and spoon race if I thought that he/she was in with a chance of gold. 

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Also, the argument about playing a ''Pirlo'' character, if that was a creditable case then Beckham would surely miss out again to Scholes, the only real statesman we possess of the same ilk. Or, and as I''d prefer, go for Wilshere if he''s back from injury in time.[/quote]They''re very different players, and being fair Scholes ruled himself out of international call-ups years ago whereas Beckham hasn''t.If Scholes were interested then I agree he''d have been a great choice, but that''s not the comparison, instead it should be Beckham vs whoever IS selected for the ball playing role in midfield, and he''s better than most other options on a technical level, and probably much better on a leadership and team level than the rest.Wilshere again would be a great inclusion, but he doesn''t need an over-age place so that''s a moot point, and Wenger has advised he doesn''t really want him playing in the Olympics due to his long-term injury and not being fully fit, so again could be moot.

No way should Beckham be picked it''s an attitude like this that equals in poor results for the England team. Players shouldn''t be picked by their name but by their performances.

Its a competition and players should be picked on merit - not cos of personality or promotional value.  And now its getting political with John Prescott kicking up a storm on twitter and 5 live.  Other countries must be laughing at us.....

Meanwhile back to NCFC - would Beckham have had a better chance if he had been playing with us - ask Grant?

Beckham is already a figure head for UK Olympics so nothing being lost there.

So far he has shown no interest in managing or coaching;  at least pearce has some management experience,  especially with younger player - again nothing lost there

As a player he is playing irregularly and inconsistently in a league that would probably be dominated by Celtic.   Giggs on the other hand is still playing well in the the second best team in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

Both Giggs and Bellamy are quality players and fresh,  I think they and richards are excellent choices, and are far from average and all three are significantlty better players now than Beckham.

As for an average tournament that is purely because GB has not had an entry,  Bethnal is spot on, just look at the list of winners in recent years shows how other nations approach this,  its as impressive as the players who have appeared including several world footballers of the year.  

What a chance for Richards to show how he can contribute in a tournament environment.

Good decisions by Pearce - watch the interest bloom if team GB makes the semi finals for example... 

I cannot understand why anyone thinks Beckham is  an appropriate choicer for the Olympic squad.   He is obviously not the player he was and would not get in the team on merit.  If we are to select on sentiment then remember that it is a GB squad not and England one.  This is not a jolly for old England player.   Also, Beckham has played in World Cups and European Championships.

Giggs and Bellamy have never had that chance.  Giving them an international tournament in their careers is a much worthier sentimental gesture and they are both still in the Premier League.

Pearce is a fool. There are 1.2 million unsold tickets and now many simply won''t bother. Beckham would have added thousands to the gates with a corresponding morale boost to the squad. What an irony the Beckham travels the world for England but the guy that replaces him refused to go on the Euro 2012 standby list. Pearce = McLaren.