Sign in to follow this  
canarycat

Lets Not Panic

With the lack of movement and only rumours are ones of our best players leaving.. just maybe im used to the speedy nature of lambert in previous seasons i suppose any plans we had kinda went out of the window when he left and i guess we just need to be patient and wait for Hughton to come back and start to build a plan.

Take into account the change of gaffer and the need to review what you have before you figure out what you need.  PL had the fortune to have played us/reviewed us before he jumped ship so he had a very good idea already.  CH has a general idea but no where near the same, I am sure he is working hard at getting the ship straight and I have a good feeling about him being incharge, I think if anyone can get Grant Holt to stay, he can!  As well as find us a gem or two with his staff.

The op is right.  Don''t panic.  Even (and I''ll get shot down for this) if we don''t get any players before the start of the season.   I''m sure we will get one or two in, but just suppose Hughton decides that he likes what he sees with the squad and goes with what we''ve got, to start with.  Impatience,  unrealistic expectations, lack of appreciation for what you''ve got are all  dangers at any time of year in the support of a football club. Given his record as manager, he is able to get the best out of existing players at a club.   We know we have a strong squad - even the defence will be better for last season''s experience, taking into account  injuries/juggling of personell at the back etc etc.    Hughton will do well with those players.  We have a good starting line up and can go with that if we have to and maybe get one or two in in January - which worked well for us last season.     

This is just a plea really - get behind the team and support them without the rubbishing of players like people did last season.    Barnett, Ward, Whitbread, DeLaet, Bennett - every defender there made mistakes that were costly - but they are not bad players.   |De Laet has gone of course and so has Whitbread, but we have to get behind the ones we''ve got.     I''m fed up with reading about how such and such is useless.   They are not.  Give them time to gel.    A settled central pairing would do wonders for the defence imo - whoever is given the job.   My biggest fear is that if Ward or Barnett are picked for the first match - they will be made to feel so umnwelcome by our "knowlegdable" fans, that it will affect their performance, before they''ve even had a chance to settle.      I''m not saying we shouldn''t buy new players and I''m not saying we won''t buy new players, I''m saying appreciate what we''ve got already and be prepared to get behind Ward Barnett and Bennett - whichever of those players starts the first match.   

We have time, we are an attractive proposition for a player, we have a fresh manager and approach that will share some of Lamberts ethos.Signings will happen and conversations will be going on now. Hence our current contract negotiations with current players.We need players, there is no denying that as players have left leaving holes (ie Naughton). We have a number of players who played a bit part season or were on the fringes of the first team squad who may have an offer of first team football elsewhere and so moves out of the club will still happen.We have a great deal of time, they need to be fit and ready to go - because on that first game of the season we have to be at 100mph, lacklustre starts because we are not prepared is not an excuse. We need our players to be highly competitive and fit from day 1. We need a few generals and we need to add some higher quality. I believe we will, through the whole spine of the team and a few additions to put pressure on a few others. I feel we do need starters those with more quality than we have to move our team on. RB and Howson as starters need to be compilmented by another and I agree we need to build a few parternships, that is how success is bred through an understanding between players.We do have good players, they may not be players that others would consider could perform at the highest levels needed to maintain premiership football next season. But Hughton is no mug, he will see that and those players will remain squad players.For me a right back, centre half, central midfielder, striker and a wide player are needed now. I would be happy with 5 positions filled this summer and then the other striker and another defensive player came in at January (left full back?) to bolster our squad.I hope Hughton is getting a chance to speak with Culverhouse and Karsa, to use their wisdoms over the the past 3 years, get an understanding of possible transfer targets, why those players and the players currently here were picked. These two men are still employed by the club and hence there value is extremely high at this point and a valuable resource to Hughton and the players.Hughton is a bright man, I have every confidence that his preparation will be thorough, he has been given reigns of a club not going through torment unlike Birmingham or Newcastle to be honest. He will be very excited and honoured for working for NCFC.