Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Investment strategy if relegated

Should we bring in players to get us out of the Championship but are not really of prem quality (more of the Holt, Fleming, Edworthy, Mulryne, McVeigh, MacKay types)?

Or players who are of Prem quality (or potentially so) but not ideally suited to the rather different rigours of the Championship?

I think that this will be a very difficult balancing act.

But, the over-riding goal must be to get out of the Fizzy at the first attempt by hook or by crook (but not bankruptcy!) - and then take it from there having hopefully learnt the harsh lessons of this season. I mean the lessons of irrational loyality.

What a conumdrum!

Riddle me this, riddle me that!!

It''s seems to be a darn sight easier to stay up this season. Come on City, let''s go!!

OTBC.

Or option 3: Find players who are Prem quality but nobody has snapped them up yet.  I.e Damo.  Fizzy league players like Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Jagielka, Gabbidson etc would be magnificent.  I think we need to find these types of players (not those mentioned of course as they would require large transfer fees)

Like all good investment strategies the squad has to be a mixture of all three. 

In view of the number of championship fighter type players already in our squad I would venture that we keep the ones we have and dont buy any more.    I see little point in buying any more of the these just yet.

Look to prise one or two of the better lower league players into the squad to see if they are likely to be prem quality and accept that we may have to pay a transfer premium to take them - Steve Sidewell & Joleon Lescot may be others worth taking a look at.  Finally look to take some prem squad players on loan to strengthen our squad in the short term.

Then if we do get repromoted we will have retained most of our finances and have a chance to spend when we are likely to attract prem quality rather than a hopeful punt.   We are not looking at stars here - even the joke that passes for Pascal Cygan would be a GOOD buy for city despite being out of his depth at Arsenal.

OTBC       

In an ideal world if we got rid of some deadwood and bought several premiership quality players, we could bounce back.But our nucleus of premiership quality is so small, we would have to do it in two stages, or more, between the summers of 2005 and 2006. In 2005 we would have to acquire a few who could help us make a challenge in the Championship, and then a few more after promotion. If promotion is delayed by a further year that might not be a disaster.In essence, we do not have the finance to build a good team quickly, and we are starting with very few who are good enough for the Premiership, - I would name Ashton, Hux, Francis(?), Shackle, Drury and Green, and even these I would rate as solid premiership rather than as "likely to win games by individual brilliance".