Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Leon Barnett

I think it’s safe to assume he would have been surplus to requirements this summer if Lambert was still here.

I think he’ll get another chance to impress under Hughton.

Personally I don’t think he was as bad as some made out last season, pretty solid defender who just lacks concentration sometimes.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]I think it’s safe to assume he would have been surplus to requirements this summer if Lambert was still here. I think he’ll get another chance to impress under Hughton. Personally I don’t think he was as bad as some made out last season, pretty solid defender who just lacks concentration sometimes.[/quote]

Agreed.   He had a rough ride at the beginning of last season - not helped by the sending off that shouldn''t have been.   Desreves another go.   Didn''t deserve the absolute slagging off he got on here last season.    Some of his defensive play is top draw.

I watched the season review over the last couple days, and there were definitely a fair few goals he should have been able to prevent

Yeah, bit unlucky last season. Got cut out but we never got any better defensively without him.

Great at winning the ball (maybe best at the club) but not as good as Ward or Ayala at distributing it.

I don''t like to criticize our own players unnecessarily but personally I thought Barnett was a rock when we were in the Championship but just isn''t cut out for the Premier League. He tries hard and I wouldn''t say he was a complete flop but I think his performance against Leicester in the FA Cup summed up his season.

[quote user="GJP"]

Yeah, bit unlucky last season. Got cut out but we never got any better defensively without him.

Great at winning the ball (maybe best at the club) but not as good as Ward or Ayala at distributing it.

[/quote]I''m pretty sure we did, statistically at least. Whether that can be put down to him is another matter

[quote user="judderman"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]
I''m pretty sure we did, statistically at least. Whether that can be put down to him is another matter
[/quote]

Think when he got dropped we were 11th and when the season ended with him out of the team we were 12th.

Solid enough in the CCC, but not quite good enough for the prem. This is why both us and WBA have left him out at this level.

I think he''s a decent player with alot going for him he has premiership power and pace, tackling and heading are very good. Unfortunately his distrubtion is lower championship such a shame.

Sorry for this very vague post but as it happens I do know that Barnett has recently done something that suggests he doesn''t intend or plan on moving away from here anytime soon.

Can''t be more specific than that and it''s something he could easily back out of if he did want to move.

[quote user="GJP"]

Sorry for this very vague post but as it happens I do know that Barnett has recently done something that suggests he doesn''t intend or plan on moving away from here anytime soon.

Can''t be more specific than that and it''s something he could easily back out of if he did want to move.

[/quote]you could just say he has bought a house... and that doesnt mean he isnt leaving.. could have a property in Norfolk for retirement... go away elsewhere and play for a few years whilst renting the house out.Or he could be going into Property Ala Robbie Fowler...

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]I think it’s safe to assume he would have been surplus to requirements this summer if Lambert was still here.

I think he’ll get another chance to impress under Hughton.

Personally I don’t think he was as bad as some made out last season, pretty solid defender who just lacks concentration sometimes.[/quote]I think you got that right - but then, every player who fell down the pecking order gets a renewed chance of impressing CH. Question is, will he/they take it? I personally agree with others, a good defender that perhaps just needs another chance and a bit more game time to improve.

Hopefully some time with Hughton will help him keep concentration and cut out the mistakes. He''s a much better CB than Ward, having more pace, unbeatable in the air and fairly strong.

His biggest problem is not his distribution it is his positioning which he used to get away with in the championship due to his pace to get back at a attacker however when you give a prem striker a head start it is harder to get back infront of him. That''s how i see it. But then again i am BW and i am wrong.

Good defender but lacks some of the more technical abilities needed for the Premier League. That''s why I guess Paul Lambert preferred more ''footbally'' types like Ayala and Whitbread (and even Russell Martin) at CB last season to try and pass the ball out of defense. Just clearing the ball up the pitch, like Barnett often did (and giving the opposition the ball straight back) can be too costly at this level.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

you could just say he has bought a house... and that doesnt mean he isnt leaving.. could have a property in Norfolk for retirement... go away elsewhere and play for a few years whilst renting the house out.

Or he could be going into Property Ala Robbie Fowler...
[/quote]

Well, no, I couldn''t have said that because I have no idea if he is buying or has bought a house. It wasn''t that I was referring to.

Perhaps you should avoid making such assumptions.