Sign in to follow this  
ryan1992

Roger Johnson set to sign

According to various people on twitter, so not very reliable, but his name has beenmentioned a few times over the past few weeks/months...

He had an absolute shocker last season and I would be slightly concerned that he has been relegated 2 seasons on the trot now. I don''t think he has ever looked quite as good without Scott Dann beside him either. Who''s absence at the end of the season was the reason Birmingham got relegated for me. But £2 million is an acceptable fee for someone who could be a class performer if he hits form again. He would also bring some much needed leadership to the back line. I do think that is crucial. Ayala and Bennett together could be problematic as they need an older head to coax them through games.

[quote user="Jacko"]He had an absolute shocker last season and I would be slightly concerned that he has been relegated 2 seasons on the trot now. I don''t think he has ever looked quite as good without Scott Dann beside him either. Who''s absence at the end of the season was the reason Birmingham got relegated for me. But £2 million is an acceptable fee for someone who could be a class performer if he hits form again. He would also bring some much needed leadership to the back line. I do think that is crucial. Ayala and Bennett together could be problematic as they need an older head to coax them through games.[/quote]Indeed, I would be slightly concerned at the signing but with form and the leadership qualities that we seem to like to have in our squad, especially as you say, at the back, could be a great influence. But it still won''t be that ''inspiring'' and ''wow'' signing that we''re all holding out for.

If he is to sign, i''d expect closer to 4 or 5 million. Wolves cant afford to take a 5mil loss on a player after just 1 season...

I think this is a highly unlikely deal anyway.

Don''t believe any of it...2 million???? Wolves'' directors must be really going bonkers.

If true than I see a departure from the lower league young and hungry player to the yoyo player, the ones who keep getting relegated, just money pro''s in my book jumping from one payday to the next. At 29 and not really that good, I hope not!

Not that my glass is half empty yet, but with signings like this it would soon be totally empty!

Is this the bloke who has a drink problem and whose wife complained on twitter when he was dropped. When he played at Carrow Road, I thought he was poor, so I would be very disappointed if we signed him.

It says here that Wolves paid £4.5m, that he is on around 40k per week, "he turned up for training showing the effects of alcohol on March 5", and that Norwich were the only PL club showing interest.The report was on the 17th of May when Lambert was still the Norwich Manager:http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/05/17/wolves-look-to-offload-roger-johnson/

I was thinking our choice of centre backs next season would be two from Martin, Ayala and Bennett, assuming Hughton is set to slot Whitaker in as first choice RB?

Had we retained Zak, there would probably be no talk of getting in another centre half. However, talk of Curtis Davis and now Johnson makes you think someone will be brought in as a first teamer and pretty much an auto pick, which means one of the afore mentioned three isn''t going to be a regular starter-either that, or Martin stays at RB (I think he is a great option at CB and would, at the moment, start him with Bennett) with Whitaker as a very versatile sub.

Not sure, in that case, big expense on a CB is a priority-are there doubts about Ayala or Bennett? Both look raw and yes, prone to errors, but hell, how else can you learn if you are a player that is going to be a long term fixture at the club? I''d rather persist with the permutations we''ve got now and have Leon as the back up to those than bring someone else in for big money.

With a fit Tierney, a back 4 of Whitaker-Martin-Bennett-Tierney looks a good call to me. Yep, a little inexperience in there and yep, they''ll make mistakes, but a core unit that can grow/develop together with that little extra nous in Whitaker plus Ayala as back up as well as Leon. With Drury, a left back looks essential,.one who can also slot into the left sided centre back role ideal-but maybe thats why Whitaker has been brought in?

There are, at least, permutations. I, for one, like the current "feel" of the back four and whilst it needs tweaking still, I''m not sure a risky signing like Johnson (will he rediscover his Cardiff/Birmingham form or has he lost it?) would be is the answer. Its a shame that Drury isn''t here for another year.

I think we are likely to sign a centre back from the Midlands but I don''t think it will be Roger Johnson :-)

I would be very annoyed at this. A player who is known to be irresponsible in his behaviour, to publically criticise his managers when he''s not picked. He was probably one of the worst for Wolves last season, and appears to jump ship when his team gets relegated presumably because he thinks he''s too good for them.On the last day of the season he applauded the Wigan fans rather than the Wolves fans and refused to come out for say thanks after the match

Old Shuck, I tend to agree that, with Drury gone, a left back is a higher priority than a centre back.

That''s even assuming that Tierney does make a full recovery. I would argue that left back is the spot most in need of filling.

It might be worth bearing in mind, too, that Tierney had played centre back for previous clubs as well as left back, so he could provide further cover in the CB spot (not forgetting Ward, whom you didn''t mention).

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

I was thinking our choice of centre backs next season would be two from Martin, Ayala and Bennett, assuming Hughton is set to slot Whitaker in as first choice RB?

Had we retained Zak, there would probably be no talk of getting in another centre half. However, talk of Curtis Davis and now Johnson makes you think someone will be brought in as a first teamer and pretty much an auto pick, which means one of the afore mentioned three isn''t going to be a regular starter-either that, or Martin stays at RB (I think he is a great option at CB and would, at the moment, start him with Bennett) with Whitaker as a very versatile sub.

Not sure, in that case, big expense on a CB is a priority-are there doubts about Ayala or Bennett? Both look raw and yes, prone to errors, but hell, how else can you learn if you are a player that is going to be a long term fixture at the club? I''d rather persist with the permutations we''ve got now and have Leon as the back up to those than bring someone else in for big money.

With a fit Tierney, a back 4 of Whitaker-Martin-Bennett-Tierney looks a good call to me. Yep, a little inexperience in there and yep, they''ll make mistakes, but a core unit that can grow/develop together with that little extra nous in Whitaker plus Ayala as back up as well as Leon. With Drury, a left back looks essential,.one who can also slot into the left sided centre back role ideal-but maybe thats why Whitaker has been brought in?

There are, at least, permutations. I, for one, like the current "feel" of the back four and whilst it needs tweaking still, I''m not sure a risky signing like Johnson (will he rediscover his Cardiff/Birmingham form or has he lost it?) would be is the answer. Its a shame that Drury isn''t here for another year.

[/quote]

Admittedly neither of us have seen Whittaker play (or at least I haven''t) but that back 4 looks very poor to me by premiership standards. If he is fit Ayala will play as he is our best CB on the books. I think we will bring in another to play alongside him and I think Martin may well start the season at right back ahead of Whittaker. That worries me a bit but Martin will be ok if we regularly play bennett in front of him.

Can''t see this happening to be honest. Funny one as two years ago it would have been a fantastic signing but Johnson''s stock has fallen considerably since then.

In my opinion Roger Johnson would be an OK signing for 2mil on his own. However if we were to sign Curtis Davis as well as Johnson then I would say we begin to look very strong defensively. It would then be anyone from Bennett, Johnson, Ayala to start alongside Davis. One more left back and then we are sorted.

Whittaker Davis Bennett Tierney

Martin Davis Ayala Tierney

Lots of options, hope this is Hughtons plan.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I think we are likely to sign a centre back from the Midlands but I don''t think it will be Roger Johnson :-)[/quote]...........given a choice between the two there is only one outcome (i would hope ). davis everytime.

Funny how people would welcome Davies and not Johnson. Considering how Davies was considered a massive flop only a couple of seasons ago. Johnson for £2m would be a massive bargain and a risk well worth taking in my opinion - despite some of the revisionist history going on he was an excellent defender for Birmingham a couple of seasons ago and is still very capable of playing at that level.

Sometimes it doesn''t work out for a player at a club - hopefully Johnson would come to Norwich with a point to prove and a desire to regain the form he showed not too long ago.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Funny how people would welcome Davies and not Johnson. Considering how Davies was considered a massive flop only a couple of seasons ago. Johnson for £2m would be a massive bargain and a risk well worth taking in my opinion - despite some of the revisionist history going on he was an excellent defender for Birmingham a couple of seasons ago and is still very capable of playing at that level.

Sometimes it doesn''t work out for a player at a club - hopefully Johnson would come to Norwich with a point to prove and a desire to regain the form he showed not too long ago.

[/quote]

To be fair I think it''s probably the stories about the state Johnson turned up to training in that has put people off.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

I wouldn;t be adverse to Johnson. I think its a bit harsh to say Davies was a massive flop though. Had some good games with Villa but struggled a bit when his regular centre back partner got injured. Mate of mine watched him a lot last season and said he was excellent, Very quick and athletic but needs a passer alongside him as distribution not the best. Think he would play well with Ayala.

If McNally ever put his pen close to a piece of paper that has the name Roger Johnson on it then he''s not the astute man I currently perceive him to be.

Whittaker will not be first choice RB, Will be R Martin or loanee, what about Kyle N on loan again don''t think anyone except Lambert will pay £6m and that is 1/3 of his budget but needs to replace Cuellar. 

[quote user="paul moy"]I don''t want him here. He''s rubbish IMO.[/quote]

We know all we need to know about your opinions !