Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

HOLTY STAYS

I randomly bumped into a Norwich fan on Saturday at my cricket club in York and he told me he thought Holt would leave and a lot of people he knew in Norwich thought the same...but I said to him to have a bit of faith because I honestly thought he''d stay..

my god do I feel good now and just thinking about the majority of you in the lovely City smiling away is making me smile even more!

What an epic day!

YAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! That''s f*%îng great news...like a new signing really after all that''s happened!

Mixed views on this TBH - fact is Holt DID want to leave (and confirmed his intention after negotiations). He and his agent handled this badly from a PR perspective. Yes it would have cost us a shedload to sign at least one new striker but if we could have landed £4M+ (possibly up to £6M) I would have snapped that up for a 31 year old.

Many fans will now demand Holt steps up to justify all this stuff (to say nothing of his new £20k + per week deal!). There will be no ''easy ride'' as he is the ''talisman'', ''old hero'' etc. If he struggles for form I can see fans quickly losing the faith with him. That would NOT happen had Holt and his agent shown more common sense and patience.

On the plus side, Holt has proved himself in the Premier League and can do it again assuming he stays fit and motivated.

I''m very pleased with this but the Club has simply acted in accordance with its previously stated order of precedence.

For me, the Club has simply dealt with Holt in his turn. As for Holt and his agent, well they jumped the gun and in doing so showed disrespect to other players and caused unnecessary disruption.

I wouldn''t be unhappy for a new team captain to be appointed because Holt forgot what it means.

As for the vaunted biggest transfer pot ever I can only assume at this stage what is meant is the overall pot for signings and salaries has been increased. The effect of this is we will be able to offer new signings more wages so become more competitive.

Credit to the management for holding their ground and their nerve.

Looking at the comments above, who said that football fans were fickle??!!?!

What a change from this message board a month ago.

Completely agree with Yellow Rider.

Keeping Holt on is fantastic news as he''s a proven Premiership goalscorer and negates us having to go out and spend £10m on another 15-goal-a-season striker.

BUT

He hasn''t exactly covered himself in glory over recent weeks/months. He made it quite clear he wanted to go and didn''t use Twitter very intelligently. If he scores for us we''ll all cheer but I don''t think he''ll ever get back to the full legend status he once had

[quote user="Wiz"]I write this with tears in my eyes.........YES get in! [Y][Y][/quote]

I normally read your posts with tears in my eyes, Wiz ;-)

Chuffed to bits. Was 100% convinced he was off, that it was terminal-just wanted a good fee for him. The Sunderland connection made sense and I was sort of happy for him to go there if that had been the case-back up north and they''re a good club.

But bloody hell!

This and Butterfield, a good day!

Absolutely delighted that Grant is staying, but I thought the general consensus on here was that he was easily replaceable?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="TheRock"]Lovely news. I kept the faith, I never changed my avatar [:)]
[/quote]

Let''s be honest here there can''t have been many of us who really thought he''d stay.

I certainly didn''t.
[/quote]

Call it blind faith, but I really did...It never seemed like he was about to go anywhere to me. Just a lot of smoke and mirrors with the West Ham stuff, but nothing else really.

I don''t think any of us care now though because he''s here to lead the boys into battle without a doubt!

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Mixed views on this TBH - fact is Holt DID want to leave (and confirmed his intention after negotiations). He and his agent handled this badly from a PR perspective. Yes it would have cost us a shedload to sign at least one new striker but if we could have landed £4M+ (possibly up to £6M) I would have snapped that up for a 31 year old.

Many fans will now demand Holt steps up to justify all this stuff (to say nothing of his new £20k + per week deal!). There will be no ''easy ride'' as he is the ''talisman'', ''old hero'' etc. If he struggles for form I can see fans quickly losing the faith with him. That would NOT happen had Holt and his agent shown more common sense and patience.

On the plus side, Holt has proved himself in the Premier League and can do it again assuming he stays fit and motivated.

[/quote]

Do you always look on the bright side of life?