Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Wee Wes

As said before, if what a few of us have heard is true, then the club are not extending Wes contract. i think he has two years left, so although it doesn''t mean he will go, i think the club could be trying to force him out.

The article on Butterfield suggested he won''t be fit for 2-3 months, and add a month to get "match fit" so he may not play until November.  If Wes starts the season well then maybe he''ll get a run.

Not good enough for a starting berth for Eire and not good enough for a starting berth at a club who wants to look at finishing top half of the Premier League. Hoolahan should be used sparingly from the bench this coming season, unless of course another team comes in with some decent money for him.

[quote user="Green Jack"]Not good enough for a starting berth for Eire and not good enough for a starting berth at a club who wants to look at finishing top half of the Premier League. Hoolahan should be used sparingly from the bench this coming season, unless of course another team comes in with some decent money for him.
[/quote]

The opposite of this crud.

[quote user="Green Jack"]Not good enough for a starting berth for Eire and not good enough for a starting berth at a club who wants to look at finishing top half of the Premier League. Hoolahan should be used sparingly from the bench this coming season, unless of course another team comes in with some decent money for him.
[/quote]

Spot on

He was too good for a place in the Ireland squad. No point in selecting skilful players if you gameplay to play without skill

I''m disappointed. I thought this thread would be about Wesley developing some sort of urinary complaint. Would make a change from people resurrecting old Holt posts.

[quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

The opposite of this crud.[Y]

[/quote]

As has been mentioned on many occasions he didn''t fit into their system,and as was seen at the Euros,they could''ve done with a bit of his creativity.Not saying he is world class,or would have furthered their cause,but he could have been part of a plan b,which the Irish sorely lacked.

Interestingly Hoolahan was not part of Lambert''s plans when he first took over. But like Doherty he forced his way back. Lambert never offered Doc another contract but persevered with Wes, gave him a new contract and played him in the champs and prem. So I would suggest it''s proven that he is good enough. The idea of having a strong squad is to promote competition for places. Nobody is earmarked to start or sit on the bench yet!

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Downloads"]

[quote user="Green Jack"]Not good enough for a starting berth for Eire and not good enough for a starting berth at a club who wants to look at finishing top half of the Premier League. Hoolahan should be used sparingly from the bench this coming season, unless of course another team comes in with some decent money for him.[/quote]

[/quote]

As has been mentioned on many occasions he didn''t fit into their system,and as was seen at the Euros,they could''ve done with a bit of his creativity.Not saying he is world class,or would have furthered their cause,but he could have been part of a plan b,which the Irish sorely lacked.

[/quote]How could they have done with anyones creativity? Eire needed to have the ability to win the ball from the opposition first.Those who believe that Hoolahan would have improved the fortunes of Eire against the likes of Spain, Italy and Croatia are just being absurd.

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How could they have done with anyones creativity? Eire needed to have the ability to win the ball from the opposition first.

Those who believe that Hoolahan would have improved the fortunes of Eire against the likes of Spain, Italy and Croatia are just being absurd.
[/quote]

Not saying they would have won any of the games,but he might have given them another attacking outlet,which may have helped them put up more of a fight.

Wes is exactly the kind of player we whinge about not producing enough of in this country - someone who is very comfortable in possession and capable of operating in tight situations.

He''s very skillful and is brilliant at keeping possession of the ball for his team. He''s just a joy to watch really.

I really don''t get why there''s always a bunch of people who want him out of the picture.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The article on Butterfield suggested he won''t be fit for 2-3 months, and add a month to get "match fit" so he may not play until November.  If Wes starts the season well then maybe he''ll get a run.

[/quote]

The article was off the mark. He has been cleared to start pre-season and he himself suggests he is only a week or so behind the rest.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The article on Butterfield suggested he won''t be fit for 2-3 months, and add a month to get "match fit" so he may not play until November.  If Wes starts the season well then maybe he''ll get a run.[/quote]

The article was off the mark. He has been cleared to start pre-season and he himself suggests he is only a week or so behind the rest.

[/quote]

That is correct re starting training although Hughton said yesterday that he''s likely to be about 4-6 weeks behind the others. I think we can therefore expect him to be coming into real first team start contantion around mid september. Given that the games are quite spread out in the prem that only about 3 games into the season!

Are some of you for real?  Wes is a match winner, like Holt, like Morison, like a lot of other players you are continually bitching and knocking for one reason or another.  Why are you so intent on knocking players who perform, and commaring to other players you have yet to see?

If you havent got anything positive to say, dont bother.

Unfuckingbelievable.

I also agree with the comments above re those who continuously question Wes''s place in the team or call for us to get rid. Ok we all have different opinions on players and whether or not they should be in the team but some of the hostile comments towards Wes beggar belief. he''s a great little player who has done as much as anyone (including Holt) to drag us up from league 1 to where we are now. He''s never moaned when he''s been dropped and never asked to leave the club. He''s won us countless matches in his time and is a great little player who i love to watch play. I really, really don;t understand some of our fans sometimes.

It seems to me what we have will never be good enough for some. Some fans complain about lack of loyalty at even a hint of a player choosing to move on yet show no loyalty to players who are loyal and proven. Holt has had to stuff it down his critics throats every season and to a certain extent Wes has to too.

Wow. Just wow to this thread. Wes is a fantastic player and we are very fortunate to have him. Particularly in games where you may want to play the diamond or a 433/4231 he is absolutely fantastic at knitting the play together and providing the link between midfield and attack so the front men aren''t in a completely separate postcode to the rest of the team. A lot of our best performances like the Arsenal game were with him in the side.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

It seems to me what we have will never be good enough for some. Some fans complain about lack of loyalty at even a hint of a player choosing to move on yet show no loyalty to players who are loyal and proven. Holt has had to stuff it down his critics throats every season and to a certain extent Wes has to too.

[/quote]

Agreeed Nutty. Let''s also not forget Wes sticking by us when we went down to League One, I''m sure he wasn''t short of offers to move back to the Championship. He''s the most creative and skilful player in the squad, he''s won us countless games and we''re damn fortunate to have him.

Maybe not the most reliable or consistent midfielder in our squad, but when the chips are down and you need someone to break a tough defence or produce that spark, there are very few (and none within our price range) that I''d rather have than Wes.

Oh dear Oh dear, I suppose now Holty''s future is sorted out the Muppets have to find someone else. Guess it''s Wesley''s turn this week. No wonder Adam left, probably didn''t want his turn in the spotlight.

Wes played 33 times last season (only 8 from the bench) in a team that finished 12th. He scored 4 goals, got 7 assists and had a pass completion rate of 86%. Just so you know that number of assists puts him joint 14th in the league with players such as Pienaar, Van der Vaart and Ashley Young. He is a quality player, the stats don''t lie. I would make the presumption that he hasn''t got a new contract (like many others in the squad) because he''s 30, still has 2 years left and isn''t Grant Holt, or he just hasn''t signed one yet. To suggest he should be used sparingly from the bench belittles his contribution last year.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I also agree with the comments above re those who continuously question Wes''s place in the team or call for us to get rid. Ok we all have different opinions on players and whether or not they should be in the team but some of the hostile comments towards Wes beggar belief. he''s a great little player who has done as much as anyone (including Holt) to drag us up from league 1 to where we are now. He''s never moaned when he''s been dropped and never asked to leave the club. He''s won us countless matches in his time and is a great little player who i love to watch play. I really, really don;t understand some of our fans sometimes.[/quote]

^^^ And this