Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Easter

Captain for Next Season

Yes let''s keep a player who doesn''t want to be here, has upset the spirit of the club and is greedy and out for himself as captain....

Wake up people ffs!

Howson for captain

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Yes let''s keep a player who doesn''t want to be here, has upset the spirit of the club and is greedy and out for himself as captain.... Wake up people ffs! Howson for captain[/quote]

It will all blow over, Holt will score twice in the first match of the season and all will be forgiven.......................

Assuming Holt leaves Howson is the obvious candidate for me. He has done it at Leeds and is very likely to start most if not all the games next season. If Holt stays I think common sense dictates he will remain as captain. I understand where you are coming from Jas but if Holt and the club somehow mend their bridges it would make absolutely no sense to promptly destroy them again by stripping him of the captaincy.

It would have to be a player who we expect to start, Hoolahoops will not start as many games and I afriad he is not a vocal leader.Holt, should not be captain. Can''t think of any club who will take him in the premiership, west ham have offered but they are already looking across Europe so they are just testing our resolve they are not worried.Howson is the only player I can see that will start almost every game next season.

He is holding the club to ransome jacko, if we give in to his demands the rest of the players will follow suit perhaps....

Stripping him of the captaincy and sticking him in the reserves for 6 months will knock him into shape......

Gilts future depends on who we sign.... If a couple of strikers come in then that''s his lot I think. Depending who they are....

I can''t see it all blowing over-I wish it would-but, seriously, is it?

It will mean someone, somewhere, having to back down over whats already been said, decided and counter said.

Is Holt going to back down over his demands? Unlikely-after all, it was admitted that the club eventually agreed to the terms he wanted and offered it-but, "too late" according to the person who makes his living out of Grant Holt. Major bridge burning issue.

So is the club going to back down and concede any ground and look like, in the process, it is letting one player walk all over club policy and decide whatever he wants is what he must have-regardless of the greater need of the club as a whole and the precedent it will set?

Can''t see that happening either.

I suspect that Hughton and Holt will have a meeting, it will be described as "cordial" but "frank" and that, when the money is right, Holt will be on his way. Maybe he, maybe the club have both gone too far and maybe both regret it now, but whats done is done and I can''t see anyway back without someone, somewhere, being prepared to back down and be seen to back down, and, such is the pride of both parties and their need to be seen to be strong, it isn''t going to happen.

So the question is relevant, a new Captain is needed for next season and I would guess the identity of the player concerned will be the one Hughton sees as the most natural leader in the team and one who he wants to build his team around-I''d hazard a guess at Russell Martin, he may not have the force of character of GH and be the in your face, clenched fist type that GH was, but he has a whole lot of respect around the club and at Colney, so he''d be my pick with Howson as vice Captain.

Without wishing to hijack this thread and turn it into another one about Holty, a club like Norwich cannot afford to dump one our best players in the reserves for 6 months to prove a point. We would be cheating ourselves out of £4 million or so. Plus you would have one of our top earners sitting in the reserves drawing valuable wages out of the budget whilst contributing nothing. If he is going to stay all parties have to do everything to make the situation work. Otherwise there is no point and he might as well leave.

Even the worst arguments/disaggreements can be sorted - and often with the parties involved having a better understanding of each other.   The hope has to be that this can be resolved and Holt can carry on.  If not we have powerful candidates who could take his place in Howson or Russell Martin.

I think it will (or should be) Martin or Howson, whether or not Holt is here. Re: Holt, I''m sure if both sides want it there is a way back, but IMO it should not be with Holt as skipper - you expect more of your club captain than to kick out when the club is down as it was the other Friday; the role isn''t just about farting around in the dressing room and arranging trips to Vegas/wherever.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Yes let''s keep a player who doesn''t want to be here, has upset the spirit of the club and is greedy and out for himself as captain....

Wake up people ffs!

Howson for captain[/quote]

He does want to be here, he''s upset the way the club he wants to be at have treated him. And shock horror, a human being is looking out for themselves. He hasn''t changed, unsirpsiringly either because of money or length of contract, he''s felt he hasn''t got what he deserved. 3 pots, captain, top scorer. He should pretty much get what ever he wants (within reason, and extra year and/or matching Howson if he''s the highest earner is definitely within reason).

The only thing Holt has got wrong, is the execution of his distress. His agent didn''t need to have a go at the club, he didn''t need to take it to twitter like he did.

[quote user="Wiz"]Jonny Howson,  it would have been Holt, but............................[/quote]

If Holt stays at Norwich he will be captaining us next year. Thats the end of it really.

Perhaps we need to wait to see if he returns! We also need to know a little more about the factors behind his situation, and what the Board feel about his attitude. I am an "undecided" on the matter, but I have read of others who feel very hurt, and will not be mollified if it seems that the club caves in. If he does come back, and misses a few, or whatever, they could become very critical.

There are other players with more ability, but given his contribution off and on the pitch Holt would come into contention. The only other one with the necessary clout would be Russell Martin, but how sure is he of regular football?

If the Holt situation is not resolved soon, perhaps there would need to be a serious of "captains" tried out pre-season, before CH makes his choice. It is, after all, his decision.

Holt is our leader, definitely, I can''t really see giving it to anyone else apart from possibly Howson

GP, Holt''s agent said on Radio Norfolk that the 3rd year was offered by the club the day before Drury''s testimonial but too much water had passed under the bridge so it isn''t as simple as you make out, I would like to see him still play for us but with the way things have been played out in the media I very much doubt we will see him in a Norwich shirt again.

[quote user="AJ"]Holt is our leader, definitely, I can''t really see giving it to anyone else apart from possibly Howson[/quote]Correction, Holt was definitely the leader until he became a recent git.  Other than a full apology to the club, it''s supporters and the squad, he''s lost that designation.  Russell Martin for me, since he has a longer service with the club than Howson (but I wouldn''t complain if it''s him).

Holt lost that right the minute he wanted out of the club. Regardless of the goins on''s it has to be a player who is 100% commited and sadly he has lost that.

I certainly don''t have a chip or anything else about Holt, IMO his behaviour just fell well short of that of a club captain - if the position means anything at all - simple as that, so if he is here I''m not sure I''d have him as captain.