Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Steven Whittaker on 4 year deal!

Free, experienced and most likely low salary player who has played many positions.

Good move, if he truly is what he seems to - a squad player and hopefuly not our only RB in this transfer window.

By the way only time I have seen him playing was agains Kilmanrock and he was playing left full back instead of right, so I trust new boss knows what he is doing by getting new "Martin" to play where we need him to play -> if <- we need him to play.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]May be we offered £2m....they are reported as looking  for £6m and we settle  between the two figures ?[/quote]Typical fag packet accountant.......Start off with a guestimate, add a rumour, split the difference and come up with a........FACT![:''(] [:''(] [:''(]

Never seen the guy play and I doubt there are many on this board who have either to form a balanced and fair opinion. To judge him before a ball has been kicked is absolutely scandalous.

Pff missing that edit button..

Did some youtube scouting on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrU1Fb2CDGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdXpqZ2BRU

Not a bad shots from right footed player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpqzHRvPQU

And mayby we will see one of those next season? :D

I agree with you, ''72 - though it reminds me of just about every signing we have made in recent years: we seem to automatically get loads of negative knee-jerk reaction about how poor he is and quotes from whichever relevant supporter site fits. This happened when we signed Holt (people were concerned we''d signed a journeyman, some even wanted a guy who i think went to Brighton whose name I can''t even remember), and I''m sure it will happen when the next guy comes in.

Fwiw I think this seems like a sound, sensible signing. It doesn''t set the world alight but brings in decent cover in positions we know needs it, for little outlay. We surely have to trust CH''s judgement in bringing defenders in, given it was his position, and for all that happened in the last three years PL certainly never quite nailed it defensively.

Haven''t read all of the previous 90 posts, but have to agree with BP and go further, those folk slagging off CH''s first import need to get real. Don''t you realise that some footballers are not much brighter than you and might now not be interested in joining our great club as a result of your inane criticisms? I can smell the Tyne from where I live and can tell you that even after the season Newcastle United have had there are plenty up here who think CH should still be the boss. I have been a City supporter for close to half a century and can tell you that this is totally the best of times for anyone of my generation (any of them who disagree need to take their medication) - try enjoying it and stop demeaning all the good work being done with poisonous tongues.

[quote user="crispeduk"]Haven''t read all of the previous 90 posts, but have to agree with BP and go further, those folk slagging off CH''s first import need to get real. Don''t you realise that some footballers are not much brighter than you and might now not be interested in joining our great club as a result of your inane criticisms? I can smell the Tyne from where I live and can tell you that even after the season Newcastle United have had there are plenty up here who think CH should still be the boss. I have been a City supporter for close to half a century and can tell you that this is totally the best of times for anyone of my generation (any of them who disagree need to take their medication) - try enjoying it and stop demeaning all the good work being done with poisonous tongues.[/quote]

[Y] Excellent first post!!

Just gonna put what a Rangers fan said to me about Whittaker:

"Going forward he''s pretty decent, he scored like 12 goals two seasons ago but in terms of defending the word ''bombscare'' is probably most appropriate.

"He always got caught out by pacy wingers like mcgeady, templeton etc. and he''s notorious for not watching the runner and balls being played inside him"

He did say that he is a useful player to have though, can cover in numerous positions, for example he played in centre mid in the 07/08 UEFA cup run for Rangers. Can also play left back/left mid. I''m more than willing to give him a chance though.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Prudence with little ambition......come on down. [:@][/quote]

For once I''m with Wiz on this. When Hughton announced he was only going to sign one player this summer I assumed it was going to be some one a bit more exciting and expensive than a "versatile" Rangers free agent.

[/quote]OMG lol  PC''s edgier side is coming along a treat[Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Same people complaining about lack of transfer news then we sign a squad player and its still not enough for them.   We aren''t going to sign Messi!!   Get used to it.      These types of player to strengthen the squad is what we need and are going to get.

And out they come from the woodwork.    "Underwhelmed" eh?    That''s good  - typical of some of our fans.   Rubbish a new player before they''ve even got here.      A player with a new challenge ahead of them, perhaps a fresh start for them.  Then they''ll come up against the  player bashers.   One mistake and he''ll be slammed and rubbished............... Welcome to Norwich!    Mind you he''s been at Rangers so he''ll have a fairly thick skin already - think he''s going to need it with some of our ''fans''.  

[/quote]

You reckon he''ll improve us? jeez.

Have you seen the state of the SPL just lately? [:S]

[quote user="crispeduk"]Haven''t read all of the previous 90 posts, but have to agree with BP and go further, those folk slagging off CH''s first import need to get real. Don''t you realise that some footballers are not much brighter than you and might now not be interested in joining our great club as a result of your inane criticisms? I can smell the Tyne from where I live and can tell you that even after the season Newcastle United have had there are plenty up here who think CH should still be the boss. I have been a City supporter for close to half a century and can tell you that this is totally the best of times for anyone of my generation (any of them who disagree need to take their medication) - try enjoying it and stop demeaning all the good work being done with poisonous tongues.[/quote] Completely agree, good first post there crisp, I can''t slag off a new guy without giving him a chance

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="lake district canary"]

Same people complaining about lack of transfer news then we sign a squad player and its still not enough for them.   We aren''t going to sign Messi!!   Get used to it.      These types of player to strengthen the squad is what we need and are going to get.

And out they come from the woodwork.    "Underwhelmed" eh?    That''s good  - typical of some of our fans.   Rubbish a new player before they''ve even got here.      A player with a new challenge ahead of them, perhaps a fresh start for them.  Then they''ll come up against the  player bashers.   One mistake and he''ll be slammed and rubbished............... Welcome to Norwich!    Mind you he''s been at Rangers so he''ll have a fairly thick skin already - think he''s going to need it with some of our ''fans''.  

[/quote]

You reckon he''ll improve us? jeez.

Have you seen the state of the SPL just lately? [:S]

[/quote]
Jelavic played in the SPL...

As a Canary from Scotland take it from me he is really really poor. Am bricking it for the season ahead if this is the quality of what we are signing. I can''t stress how poor he is.

I honestly cannot believe some of the stuff being spouted on here.We''ve signed an experienced player with both European and International experience on a free, a guy who''s been consistently selected by 5 different managers before signing for us, and who will add to the overall depth of the squad, and he''s already being slated before even playing a game for us.What a f**king joke some of this so called ''support'' is.I don''t expect fans to be doing cartwheels over the signing, but by the same token I wouldn''t expect the sort of response we''ve had so far regarding his arrival. We aren''t going to be signing the likes of Alves, hell, we might not even be able to sign someone like Naughton, which means we''ll be left with Martin at RB with only Francomb as backup - a very risky proposition, which you can''t afford to take at this level, and I''d rather have someone like Whittaker available than rely on a fairly raw young player. If injuries occur, this signing gives us experienced cover either at RB or in the centre.If you''re reading this Steven - welcome to Norwich, and ignore the morons - you get them on every message board...

[quote user="ting tong"]As a Canary from Scotland take it from me he is really really poor. Am bricking it for the season ahead if this is the quality of what we are signing. I can''t stress how poor he is.[/quote]Explain to me why 5 different managers played him regularly, and why CH has now signed him then?Are you seriously claiming all 6 of them including the likes of Walter Smith and CH, don''t have a f**king clue???

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="ting tong"]As a Canary from Scotland take it from me he is really really poor. Am bricking it for the season ahead if this is the quality of what we are signing. I can''t stress how poor he is.[/quote]Explain to me why 5 different managers played him regularly, and why CH has now signed him then?Are you seriously claiming all 6 of them including the likes of Walter Smith and CH, don''t have a f**king clue???[/quote]. The difference is that he will be up against much better quality I have seen him play plenty of times. Have you? SPL is a much lower quality and even then he was found out!!

a ''useful'' signing in the sense we have lost 2 ''squad'' defenders in Whitbread and Drury and also because Whittaker is so versatile.

I''m prepared to give Whittaker a chance before passing judgement/criticism.

Who would''ve thought a reserve midfielder at Colchester would do so well in the Championship and Premiership??

Also I''m shocked we were not warned about this signing before the official announcement by the all knowing, man in the know BW.

As someone else said.... what an embarrassment some of you are.

Can''t believe some of the garbage spouted!

A few claim to have seen him and i quote... "can''t stress how poor he is".... B*ll*ks

Ive followed City since i was 6 or 7 which is close on 40 yrs. We are in a superb position just now and although i had reservations about CH I''m willing to take on board what those (who know him better) have said.

This is 1st signing since coming to Norwich and may well be cover rather than 1st choice, and will no doubt sign more players.

Whittaker is a decent signing. Yes I''ve seen him play, no i dont like Rangers/Celtic so don''t care that much about them.

He''s been a constant in the Rangers side including the time when they''ve struggled on and off the field over the last few years.

Well done Mr Hughton a free signing for a decent squad player has to be applauded.

Wait till you''ve seen him play 5 or 6 times THEN make your minds up.

When are people going to realise that there are sometimes in life when opportunities arise and that if you do not take them when they are presented you never get the chance again. Whittaker had refused a new contract and wanted a move to a big club. Do you honestly believe that, as he was on a ''free'' that we were, and would be, the only club interested. What more could he do in the football he has been playing in? He is a league winner, a cup winner and an international. Had we not acted when we did we would have missed the boat. A versatile player who will be a good for our squad who will get an opportunity to show everyone, including the manager, whether he is a starter or a squad player.

Oh, and by the way, Naughton for £6M? What was he worth before he came to us at the beginning of last season, and how much have we made him worth now? The loan system strikes again.

Yeah I think he is a decent player but we will see how it goes, I just cant help feeling a bit guilty for signing him given the whole Rangers situation.

I cant believe hes been signed as a first choice right back, therefore, logically he is a squad player/stop gap which begs the question why have we signed him on a 4 year contract?  Apart from Ruddy who has just resigned for 4 years who else have we in recent times signed for 4 years?  I will not slag the player off before I have even seen him play, however I am concerned at the level of the SPL, of a player who''s never played in the English leagues let alone the Premier League, a player that no one is saying is a world beater in fact more often than not the opposite but will still be here at 32?  Personally I would much rather we signed only players that we truelly believe are better than what we have got, as I do think we have a good squad already, so realistically that might mean signing only 3/4 players but quality players.  We already have squad players like Lappin, Crofts etc (no disrespect meant here) why would we want more if we are serious about getting established as a premier league side? We need to keep improving the squad year in year out just to stay in this league.  Not convinced but very willing to be proved wrong regardless of the obviously wonderful signings to come over the horizon!

I find it a mystery how a so called uninspiring player gain international caps.  Okay the Scottish team isn''t the greatest but there''s a bucket load of players to pick from.As far as I''m concerned I''ll just wait to see how he does before I moan about a player I''ve never consciously taken note of.

FFS this is ridiculous.

He''s a FREE signing and we need defensive cover desperately. He''s good going forward, has won titles and played in the Champions League. He''s also not the only signing we''ll be making this summer I''m sure. Just because people haven''t heard of a Scottish international or because he''s not Sergio Ramos, it doesn''t mean we have no ambition and are getting relegated.

Who''d heard of Steen Nedergaard before he arrived? Or Russell Martin? Or even Edworthy?

If you''re underwhelmed then f*ck off and support Man City.

To be fair to both Hughton and this new signing, the comparison should be with 2 middling members of our squad from last season who have now left, namely Drury and Whitbread, and not with a high-class performer like Naughton.

Whittaker can play in far more positions than both Drury & Whitbread , arguably has a better injury record than both, and probably costs no more in wages.

Those unhappy with this signing should bear in mind that we will almost certainly get in a first-choice RB later in this window, as well as a CB, possibly a LB, and at least one striker. The transfer costs saved with this freebie mean that we will be able to bid higher amounts on those positions and/or be more attractive wage-wise to possible recruits.

On that basis, what''s not to like?

I have never heard of this 28-year old player. Apparently he’s a Scottish international?

Hope he flourishes just like Russell Martin has done!

A 4 year contract seems a bit over-the-top for an unknown - couldn''t we have gone for a 2 year deal and given Holty what he wants?

[quote user="TRAVIS ASKEW"]

This is 1st signing since coming to Norwich and may well be cover rather than 1st choice [/quote]Why give a 4 year contract to a player if he will only be used as cover?

[quote user="Let''s be ''aving you!"]

To be fair to both Hughton and this new signing, the comparison should be with 2 middling members of our squad from last season who have now left, namely Drury and Whitbread, and not with a high-class performer like Naughton.

Whittaker can play in far more positions than both Drury & Whitbread , arguably has a better injury record than both, and probably costs no more in wages.

Those unhappy with this signing should bear in mind that we will almost certainly get in a first-choice RB later in this window, as well as a CB, possibly a LB, and at least one striker. The transfer costs saved with this freebie mean that we will be able to bid higher amounts on those positions and/or be more attractive wage-wise to possible recruits.

On that basis, what''s not to like?

[/quote

I fully understand what your saying but if you believe we are getting in a new LB, CB, RB then why do we need him. We already have Alya, Bennet, Ward, Barnet, Tierney, Martin, Francombe plus Whittaker and 3 others that would give us 10 defensive players but even if you think we do why 4 years?