Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana

Steven Whittaker on 4 year deal!

Norwich City FC ‏@NorwichCityFC

City have signed Scottish international and former Rangers defender Steven Whittaker on a 4-year deal subject to international clearance

That''ll be the Ewan Chester / Rangers link. Let''s hope he''s better than Steve Smith, the last fullback we signed from Rangers on the advice of Chester!

[quote user="rock bus"]wonder if this means naughton wont be returning?!?[/quote]

I wondered that, but Hughton seems to be stressing his versatility. Supposedly he can play across the back four and in midfield. It may be he is there  as a cheap way of providing squad depth.

Norwich City Manager Chris Hughton told Canaries.co.uk: "In Steven we have a player who is very versatile - he can play anywhere across the back four and anywhere across midfield, so there''s plenty of versatility there"

So that''s 8 defensive & midfield positions covered then.

on the rangers forum seems they glad to get rid, as his lack of pace when playing rb allow the wingers to beat him easily 

I agree purple - announced he would not re-sign for Rangers Newco and was looking at Blackburn; PL and likely low wage deal and 4 year commitment was have struck quickly.

Not convinced he is really good enough (no scots in olympic squad - but a good start to the summer with extension & new contracts signed by existing players and now this.

plenty to look forward to with the squad that want to be here

Well I have to say, I''ve never seen the guy play, but Rangers fans on their forums have nothing good to say about him! I''m sure there''s an element of sour grapes but still...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I agree purple - announced he would not re-sign for Rangers Newco and was looking at Blackburn; PL and likely low wage deal and 4 year commitment was have struck quickly. Not convinced he is really good enough (no scots in olympic squad - but a good start to the summer with extension & new contracts signed by existing players and now this. plenty to look forward to with the squad that want to be here[/quote]

Zipper, I''d not heard of him, let alone seen him play! So I have no idea, but it has the look more of a squad strengthening move than a starting eleven strengthening move. And certainly means we haven''t used any of the transfer fund bit of the transfer budget.

To be fair we are alittle short in the fullback areas, we could still feasibly get another two in yet. cant see Francomb holding a spot down yet, Tierney might be having injury trouble still, Drury and Naughton gone, Martin better as a centre back. I wont read to much into Rangers comments, R.Martin when signing from Peterborough proved that, we''ll just have to see for ourselves how he plays over time. 

Wow- what a non event signing.It had better get better than this- not likely to be in our best 11 in any position and a 4 year deal. Looks like the idea of only signing better than what we have is out of the window under Hughton.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]A lot of players have looked good in the SPL and have flopped in the Premier League. I am not totally convinced by this signing.But at least it is a free transfer- however, a four-year-deal? That seems excessive.[/quote]Oh, and before anyone asks, I have seen him play, and he hasn''t looked that bad actually. Big, strong and positive going forward. A bit like a slow Alan Hutton.However, like I said, I can''t see him pulling up trees in the Premier League.

No an inspired first signing. Versitility generally translates to ''no very good in any position''.

Rangers fans seem a nice bunch!

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=224726

If Paul Lambert had signed whittaker you would all be having orgasms. Saying how he will be fantastic, a lesser name to move the squad forwards....

Because ch has bought him its doom and gloom.... Let''s wait til we see him play shall we?

I''ve never seen him play, but he''s pretty good on Football Manager, not always the most accurate way to judge a player I''ll give you but for the bigger clubs they tend to be reasonably good. Very good technique and first touch, only 3 skills below 10 (all of those 3 are 9''s) Gives his best position as right wing back and as being competent everywhere else across the back, defensive midfield line and midfield.

[quote user="SS"]No an inspired first signing. Versitility generally translates to ''no very good in any position''.[/quote]

Really? Cambiasso, Dani Alves, Maicon, Jonas Gutierrez, Zanetti, John O''Shea, Banega, Essien, Messi, Samuel Eto''o, Zambrotta, Totti, Luka Modric, Branislav Ivanovic etc, etc...

You clearly know your football [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I feel like we''ve just re signed Doc the Donkey after years of campaigning to get rid of him  : /

Still, he''s a freebie.

A bit underwhelmed by this. Somebody once said you improve by getting in better players than you already have, to give the lads a hand. Hopefully this is still the case.In Hughton we trust....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]If Paul Lambert had signed whittaker you would all be having orgasms. Saying how he will be fantastic, a lesser name to move the squad forwards....

Because ch has bought him its doom and gloom.... Let''s wait til we see him play shall we?[/quote]It''s very annoying when people talk such utter horse sh**.

Rangers must have rated him as he was handed a five-year contract last year. Let''s give the guy a chance.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Prudence with little ambition......come on down. [:@][/quote]Shut up you d*ck, I''m guessing you''ve seen Whittaker play plenty of times then?You can''t judge him at all until he''s played at least 5 or 6 games for us.