Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is it just me who's non plussed regarding Hughton?

I for one am happy to wait and see on Hughton.I have no idea why people are excited about his appointment, I have no idea how he got a reputation for being a good manager and I have no idea why he was top of the shortlist. He always seems like an ordinary bloke/ decent coach and no team of his has every excited me... the same was true of Colchester and Wycombe.When Lambert was announced I was actively disappointed. I hope to be every bit as wrong this time and have confidence in the board to prove me wrong. My positivity (ish) right now is based on the board''s record not Hughton''s.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I can''t believe what I''m reading on this thread.

Are some of you lot that bored that you have nothing better to do than talk bollocks about our new manager before he''s even taken a training session?

F**k me.[/quote]Were the same things not said of Grant, Roeder, Gunn and others only to receive the kind of response you have given?It seems the majority believe that Hughton and his team are a good appointment, others feel there were better options available. We will have to wait and see, but I will be surprised if we do not find this coming season a lot tougher than the one which we have just seen out under Lambert. Hughton will not be given a massive transfer budget and it remains to be seen whther he can pick up talent on the cheap and mould them in to something special.

I''m non plussed that anyone would want Holloway as their manager; but each to his own.

Grant, Roeder and Gunn were appointed by a different regime, this regime thus far have a 100% success rate, also I''m failing to see who these "better options" are? Holloway? I don''t think so.

Hughton might not have a massive budget by Citeh or Chelsea standards, but for us it''s huge, the biggest budget in our history no less.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]So Hughton & Holloway were your 6 & 7th choices Jack. Please tell who were 1 to 5[/quote]All people who are currently employed at clubs who are not in financial trouble and who have better records than Mr Hughton. It is not worth going over it now but there were better options out there than Hughton and it appears that we spoke to none of them.

I stopped reading when Holloway was mentioned... hire a bloke who got relegated with Blackpool then failed to bring them back up, rather than our current manager who worked wonders with Newcastle and was rather unfairly sacked IMO (many many Toon fans would agree with that too).

My peronnal opinion of course but I thought Hughton was the best option realistic available to us and I''s suspect that most other people would think the same as well!

That said theres no guarantee with anyone or thing but heres hoping Hughton "does it" for Norwich City!

Its only fair to say that in typical East Anglian style, many Norwich fans love nothign better than a good old whine and will try to pick holes in any sitaution however positive it maybe for the club. If we''d just won the Premiership there''d be some old moaner finding a fault somewhere!

Hughton is one of life''s nice guys and is known to be pally on the training grown, remember Bryan Gunn? Hell, I want a hard nut running things not a nice guy.

But I wish him well for all our sakes, and yes, now is not the time for judging but I can''t help feeling uneasy about this appointment.

I''m usually wrong so there is hope I suppose.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Hughton might not have a massive budget by Citeh or Chelsea standards, but for us it''s huge, the biggest budget in our history no less.[/quote]

That remains to been seen.............and proved.

How easy Jack to criticise without naming who you would have gone for. I''m interested in the "cheap option", we''ve paid compensation , if we''d really been after a cheap option there are plenty of out of work managers. Perhaps you wanted to blow our entire transfer budget on a new boss. Actually I can''t come up with a realistic mname I''d have preferred. Still I guess if things go wrong next year, you''ll be back claiming the latest fad was you number one choice

Some people really don''t have a clue about football. Ask the geordies what they think about Hughton and Birmingham. He was also very well liked at spurs.

Sometimes Norwich fans embarrass us to the football world, our football intelligence comparatively is very poor generally.

[quote user="canary_bird"]Holloway is hilarious and very entertaining when he''s the manager of another club - I don''t think this would necessarily be the case if he was the manager of OUR club.

Hughton EVERY time.[/quote]What matters more is making the best of the available resources.

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]So Hughton & Holloway were your 6 & 7th choices Jack. Please tell who were 1 to 5[/quote]

All people who are currently employed at clubs who are not in financial trouble and who have better records than Mr Hughton. It is not worth going over it now but there were better options out there than Hughton and it appears that we spoke to none of them.[/quote]

Come on Greeny, you can do better than that. It''s not like you said there were many managers or a lot of managers you''d choose before Hughton. You were very specific with the number. 5 or 6. So you must know who they are. I''m interested now. Perhaps there''s some in there none of us had considered.

[quote user="VisitingVillan"]It doesn''t really matter how many points Blackpool got or how many seasons in the last 20 it would have been enough to keep them up. The fact is he didn''t keep them up and regardless of their wage bill and given the start they had he really should have done. It was obvious as the season drew to a close that they needed to shut up shop more and be a little less cavalier but Holloway couldn''t change which says quit a bit about the man and manager. You seem obsessed with the wages issue irrespective of the other factors. Yes Blackpool had a smaller wage bill than Birmingham. Fact. Yet you are ignoring the fact that Birmingham lost half their squad and he had no money to replace them. You are ignoring the fact their owner got locked up or the fact they were put under an embargo. You are also ignoring the fact that Holloway had a number of years to build a settled squad while Hughton had a few months. Sure Blackpool beat Birmingham in the playoffs, believe me I enjoyed that a lot but Birmingham were knackered. Playing in the Championship and the Europa league then going to the Playoffs is a lot to ask of any squad. Holloway has been around a long time and achieved very little. Hughton has been around, what? Two and a half seasons? In that time he has taken Newcastle up, would probably have kept them up and almost taken Birmingham up in very difficult circumstances. I''m a Villa fan, I should dislike Hughton but I can''t help but respect the job he did last season. I really can''t understand why anyone would want a gobshite like Holloway over Hughton a man who has a very professional air about him.[/quote]

I think if Villa play in the same sort of Style Norwich have played over the last few seasons you''ll see why some supporters would go for Holloway, the styles are very very similar even if Lambert had a more flexible approach to tactics, the styles though are very direct in the attacking sense with not to much emphasis on keeping tight at the back. I''ve never yet seen Norwich with Lambert in charge play for a draw or settle for it. It''s exciting stuff even if it''s alittle bit russian roulette football at times.

However for us I think Hughton was the right guy, as you say more professional and just enough of a shift in style to make sure we arnt a pale version of ourselves next season while hopefully keeping up the development of the side. Who knows he might even be able to something about all the goals we let in last season.

I''m optimistic, from what was avaliable at the time Hughton for me stands out as the type of manager we need and that fits the mould for what Mcnally and the Norwich board wants to achieve, continued progression without putting the club in financial jeapody.

He seems to be the logical successor to Lambert for continuation of keeping the squad playing together as a team. From press reports, other forums, players and fans comments he''s earned a huge amount of respect for not only what he achieved at Newcastle and Birmingham under very tough conditions of transfer embargoes and limited funds, but also being a nice bloke as well.

When he was appointed one of the phrases I remember was pretty much "evolution not revelution". He''s got the basis of a very good young team with hopefully not big player egos to deal with. I personally think Lambert was one of the best manager we''ve ever had, but I also think Hughton could be the man to take us to the next level which would be consolidating out position in the premier league, similar to what David Moyes and Everton have done.

Anyone who thinks that Hughton isn''t a good manager knows sweet fa about football. As has been said the guy has done a decent job sometimes in very trying circumstances wherever he has been. I think he''s more than capable of carrying on where Lambert left off and am delighted he''s our manager rather than a loose cannon like Holloway.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]How easy Jack to criticise without naming who you would have gone for. I''m interested in the "cheap option", we''ve paid compensation , if we''d really been after a cheap option there are plenty of out of work managers. Perhaps you wanted to blow our entire transfer budget on a new boss. Actually I can''t come up with a realistic mname I''d have preferred. Still I guess if things go wrong next year, you''ll be back claiming the latest fad was you number one choice[/quote]Willing to discuss it with you via PM, but feel that it is pointless to speculate on who I would have preferred to Hughton for the world to see on here. It would be a pointless bringing up who I would have liked to have been our manager then as it is now.Hughton may succeed and this coming season could have proven to have been more difficult than last, even if Lambert had chosen to stay with NCFC. I am not saying that Hughton was an awful choice, simply that I believe that there were several potential better options out there.For me Hughton fills me with far more optimism than Grant, Roeder and Gunn did at this stage, but far less optimism than Lambert did. Lambert was always right near the top of my best candidates for the NCFC job three years ago, where as Hughton is somebody who would have been a little way down my pecking order.For what it is worth I would have had Hughton above Holloway in the pecking order too, but only just and there were many other potential candidates out there. Look no further than two new to the Premier League managers for starters perhaps.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Okay, cards on table, I wanted Holloway as manager, yes I know, mad as a box of frogs but plays exciting football.

There''s something about Hughton, his manner, style of play (very direct, even hoof at times) which I find boring, his ''honest Joe'' image is unsettling to say the least.

His assistant Calderwood is even more so imo, playing Holt as a winger whilst manager at Forest doesn''t help one''s confidence in the man. I think we''re in trouble.

Anyone else have any doubts?

[/quote].........oh, well, let''s get rid of macca and let you run the club, he obviously hasn''t got a clue.

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]How easy Jack to criticise without naming who you would have gone for. I''m interested in the "cheap option", we''ve paid compensation , if we''d really been after a cheap option there are plenty of out of work managers. Perhaps you wanted to blow our entire transfer budget on a new boss. Actually I can''t come up with a realistic mname I''d have preferred. Still I guess if things go wrong next year, you''ll be back claiming the latest fad was you number one choice[/quote]

Willing to discuss it with you via PM, but feel that it is pointless to speculate on who I would have preferred to Hughton for the world to see on here. It would be a pointless bringing up who I would have liked to have been our manager then as it is now.

Hughton may succeed and this coming season could have proven to have been more difficult than last, even if Lambert had chosen to stay with NCFC. I am not saying that Hughton was an awful choice, simply that I believe that there were several potential better options out there.

For me Hughton fills me with far more optimism than Grant, Roeder and Gunn did at this stage, but far less optimism than Lambert did. Lambert was always right near the top of my best candidates for the NCFC job three years ago, where as Hughton is somebody who would have been a little way down my pecking order.

For what it is worth I would have had Hughton above Holloway in the pecking order too, but only just and there were many other potential candidates out there. Look no further than two new to the Premier League managers for starters perhaps.
[/quote]

Your a better man than me Green Jack if at the time Lambert was appointed you thought he was near the top of the candidates. At the time i remember being distinctly, "why are we recruiting a manager on the back of a great result against us?". He had a playoff loss for Wycombe, was sacked at Livingston and had done nothing too spectacular at Colchester. If i''m honest i was probably underwhelmed when Lambert was given the job even if it quickly became apparent he was going to do a good job.

[quote user="Wiz"]

Okay, cards on table, I wanted Holloway as manager, yes I know, mad as a box of frogs but plays exciting football.

There''s something about Hughton, his manner, style of play (very direct, even hoof at times) which I find boring, his ''honest Joe'' image is unsettling to say the least. 

His assistant Calderwood is even more so imo, playing Holt as a winger whilst manager at Forest doesn''t help one''s confidence in the man. I think we''re in trouble.

[/quote]

"Generally I want to play a passing game, but you have to be very open-minded."

“You can look at different philosophies and I think it’s about playing to the strengths of what you have got.”

Chris Hughton in regards to his style of play at Birmingham

''In the main, Hughton has gone with a 4-4-2 this season, incorporating players providing genuine width.''

The Birmingham Mail in regards to Hughtons'' style of Play

“My preferred formation is 4-4-2 or a form of 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, with one playing a little bit more off the front, because I think that gives you a little bit more in the opposition half, it allows you to keep the ball more in their half.

Chris Hughton on formations.

Doesn''t sound like a long ball merchant to me. 

[quote user="Clever Clucker"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Not impressed so far Wiz.

I''ll give him until the middle of July and reassess things then.  [Y]
[/quote]

Not at all impressed. We haven''t won a game yet. Where do some of these people came from?

Hughton was deliberately and specifically appointed as manager so that Delia could proceed with her ''plans'' for us!  All will come out in due course, but rest assured Hughton was brought in as and will be nothing more that a puppet on a string!!!

The arrogance of some people on here with their personal pecking orders for Managers and there know-all attitudes about everything. I bet they even know the type and colour of every potential Manager''s bog paper.

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]How easy Jack to criticise without naming who you would have gone for. I''m interested in the "cheap option", we''ve paid compensation , if we''d really been after a cheap option there are plenty of out of work managers. Perhaps you wanted to blow our entire transfer budget on a new boss. Actually I can''t come up with a realistic mname I''d have preferred. Still I guess if things go wrong next year, you''ll be back claiming the latest fad was you number one choice[/quote]

Willing to discuss it with you via PM, but feel that it is pointless to speculate on who I would have preferred to Hughton for the world to see on here. It would be a pointless bringing up who I would have liked to have been our manager then as it is now.

Hughton may succeed and this coming season could have proven to have been more difficult than last, even if Lambert had chosen to stay with NCFC. I am not saying that Hughton was an awful choice, simply that I believe that there were several potential better options out there.

For me Hughton fills me with far more optimism than Grant, Roeder and Gunn did at this stage, but far less optimism than Lambert did. Lambert was always right near the top of my best candidates for the NCFC job three years ago, where as Hughton is somebody who would have been a little way down my pecking order.

For what it is worth I would have had Hughton above Holloway in the pecking order too, but only just and there were many other potential candidates out there. Look no further than two new to the Premier League managers for starters perhaps.
[/quote]

Well you may as well done the whole thing by pm then Greeny. What''s the point of stating on here there were 5 or 6 better options and then not naming them. I''m interested as to who these candidates are. Hughton, Holloway, Poyet and Mackay are probably the best four from the Championship and I would say Hughton was the best of those. To go to League One for the likes of Robinson would be a huge gamble IMO. In Scotland I doubt we''d get Lennon from Celtic and even if we could Celtic is the only experience he has and that is a one off job. Could we lever another Premier manager out of their club? Martinez? O''Neill? Doubtful.

So were your 5 or 6 from abroad Greeny?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Green Jack"][quote user="Year of the tiger"]How easy Jack to criticise without naming who you would have gone for. I''m interested in the "cheap option", we''ve paid compensation , if we''d really been after a cheap option there are plenty of out of work managers. Perhaps you wanted to blow our entire transfer budget on a new boss. Actually I can''t come up with a realistic mname I''d have preferred. Still I guess if things go wrong next year, you''ll be back claiming the latest fad was you number one choice[/quote]Willing to discuss it with you via PM, but feel that it is pointless to speculate on who I would have preferred to Hughton for the world to see on here. It would be a pointless bringing up who I would have liked to have been our manager then as it is now.Hughton may succeed and this coming season could have proven to have been more difficult than last, even if Lambert had chosen to stay with NCFC. I am not saying that Hughton was an awful choice, simply that I believe that there were several potential better options out there.For me Hughton fills me with far more optimism than Grant, Roeder and Gunn did at this stage, but far less optimism than Lambert did. Lambert was always right near the top of my best candidates for the NCFC job three years ago, where as Hughton is somebody who would have been a little way down my pecking order.For what it is worth I would have had Hughton above Holloway in the pecking order too, but only just and there were many other potential candidates out there. Look no further than two new to the Premier League managers for starters perhaps.[/quote]

Your a better man than me Green Jack if at the time Lambert was appointed you thought he was near the top of the candidates. At the time i remember being distinctly, "why are we recruiting a manager on the back of a great result against us?". He had a playoff loss for Wycombe, was sacked at Livingston and had done nothing too spectacular at Colchester. If i''m honest i was probably underwhelmed when Lambert was given the job even if it quickly became apparent he was going to do a good job.

[/quote]Well Hughton''s win ratio''s are slightly better than Lambert''s were prior to joining us, but that is hardly a surprise considering Hughton managed Tottenham, Newcastle and Birmingham during his time before joining us, while Lambert managed Livingston, Wycombe and Colchester.Looking at the career of the two as a player and during their early coaching days, it is clear to see that one is a born motivator and leader of men, the other is simply a decent player and reasonable tactician.That is the point that many are missing with Hughton I feel. What he has delivered previously is possibly the least of the expectations that the fans of the clubs that he has managed have had during his time there. Good managers surpass expectations and we have yet to see Hughton really achieve that level. That is not to say it is beyond him, but I feel that this season working under NCFC will be by far the most difficult season that Hughton has faced as a manager yet.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Well you may as well done the whole thing by pm then Greeny. What''s the point of stating on here there were 5 or 6 better options and then not naming them. I''m interested as to who these candidates are. Hughton, Holloway, Poyet and Mackay are probably the best four from the Championship and I would say Hughton was the best of those. To go to League One for the likes of Robinson would be a huge gamble IMO. In Scotland I doubt we''d get Lennon from Celtic and even if we could Celtic is the only experience he has and that is a one off job. Could we lever another Premier manager out of their club? Martinez? O''Neill? Doubtful.

So were your 5 or 6 from abroad Greeny?

[/quote]

Why all the secrecy I wonder!?

Two of the 5 or 6 are McDermott and Adkins

[quote user="Webbo118"]The arrogance of some people on here with their personal pecking orders for Managers and there know-all attitudes about everything. I bet they even know the type and colour of every potential Manager''s bog paper.[/quote]Well I was told that Lambert preferred pink and blue, but I would not believe my friend when he told me.