Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Is it just me who's non plussed regarding Hughton?

Okay, cards on table, I wanted Holloway as manager, yes I know, mad as a box of frogs but plays exciting football.

There''s something about Hughton, his manner, style of play (very direct, even hoof at times) which I find boring, his ''honest Joe'' image is unsettling to say the least.

His assistant Calderwood is even more so imo, playing Holt as a winger whilst manager at Forest doesn''t help one''s confidence in the man. I think we''re in trouble.

Anyone else have any doubts?

[quote user="Wiz"]

Okay, cards on table, I wanted Holloway as manager, yes I know, mad as a box of frogs but plays exciting football.

There''s something about Hughton, his manner, style of play (very direct, even hoof at times) which I find boring, his ''honest Joe'' image is unsettling to say the least. 

His assistant Calderwood is even more so imo, playing Holt as a winger whilst manager at Forest doesn''t help one''s confidence in the man. I think we''re in trouble.

[/quote]
Not attacking you or anything, but what did you base this opinion off of?

Blimey Wiz you obviously have not been reading numerous other threads where Mr Gloom,Doom and Despondency AKA Cluck has been posting. [:''(]

why oh why do we have this? Lets give the guy a chance ffs!!!! Anyway you say about hoofball, WE actually were the exponents of the long ball more than any other team last season under Judas Lambert!!!

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Not impressed so far Wiz.I''ll give him until the middle of July and reassess things then.  [Y]

I don''t have any doubts right now - for me he was the best realistic option - but we clearly haven''t seen any of his purchases, or any play under him, so can''t really say anything with any certainty, be it positive or negative.

As to style of play, he has the pedigree of years at Spurs as player and in the back room so presumably likes to play the right way - but we did mix it up a lot under Lambert. I didn''t really look closely at brum''s style of play, but he was successful there and at Newcastle - certainly the Geordies seemed happy with him.

There is a difference between a long ball and hoofball. I think for the majority of last season we got the balance perfectly right in playing intricate passing moves and then hitting the long ball when it was called for. Hoofball is a completely different game that involves a big target man, Constant arial bombardment with every one else getting around him for the scraps and knock downs (Stoke). I havn''t seen anything of how Hughton''s teams play to judge this.

Don''t bother posting rubbish, anybody who wants Ian Holloway as their manager is insane! He has no tactical awareness at all, I''m glad to appoint managers on talent, not how good they are with the media.

It also should be said that since setting foot inside this club Mcnally hasn''t put a foot wrong. Who on here wanted Lambert before he appointed him? Hughton was Mcnally one and only target the same as Lambert was. That''s good enough for me.

[quote user="Clever Clucker"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Not impressed so far Wiz.I''ll give him until the middle of July and reassess things then.  [Y][/quote]We play our first pre-season game on the 21st July, why reassess before then?

A sign of the times that a manager''s reputation as an honest & decent bloke is "unsettling"?  Presumably the OP would be happier if he had millions stashed away in offshore trusts which he can''t remember anything about.

I don''t have doubts about Hughton other than he has a reputation for being too nice and too matey with players.I do have MASSIVE doubts about Calderwood and Trollope. Trollope has a reputation for being too nice and not listening. Calderwood left Hughton at Newcastle to join another club, and played Holt as a winger at Forest. Calderwood and Trollope are failed lower league managers. I think they might leave as soon as they are offered a mangers job elsewhere. They are nothing like as good as Culverhouse IMHO.

Hughton has a good record, albeit fairly limited. But then so did Lambert in lower divisions.

He seems intelligent, diligent (hence all the CD watching of all our games), tactically aware and popular with fans and players alike at past clubs.

Performed miracles at Birmingham last season while the club were under a transfer embargo and were losing or had lost pretty much all their best players.

He was apparently top of our list when Lambert had a "wobble" last summer, which suggests that the Board''s decision was a no-brainer (as shown by the speed with which they brought him in). Contrast that with the dilly-dallying by Liverpool, Villa, West Brom, Swansea, etc., who seemed unable to make up their minds.

Holloway would be great entertainment, especially for the neutrals, but would probably relegate us playing suicide football while feeding our OOR ARR image.

Er hang on a minute Wiz but weren''t you having a pop at Villa fans because a couple have a few doubts about Lambert and here you are casting doubts about Hughton after even less time....

I don''t quite know why you are having doubts about Hughton, he did a remarkable job at Birmingham last season in the circumstances.

Considering the shit going on at that club behind the scenes, the fact he had no money to spend and he had to replace half his squad and yet still took them to the playoffs and did well in Europe says it all.

Hughton is a good manager you should be pleased.

Oh and Holloway is just one huge ego and mouth on legs who has done well at Blackpool and failed everywhere else.

The guy is a gobshite and not a patch on Hughton.

holloway is a loose cannon, defiantly not the man we need to make us stable in the premiership. He has played direct but not hoofball, i highly doubt youve watched many of his Newcastle or Birmingham games? He inherited squads that had Zigic and Carrol so it''s not surprising he played direct football. But stats showed we were the most direct team in the prem.

Lambert played the Holloway sytle of football, but Lambert had a far more expensive squad than Holloway did at Blackpool. Blackpool

were relegated from the Premier League on 39 points which would have

got them 15th position last season. Their first team coach was only

earning about 20k per year so quit. Blackpool also beat Hughton''s team

in the play-offs last season.

yes but Hughton has had no money for transfers and an embargo and built that team on a shoe string, Holloway through sheer stubbornness got pool relegated because he wouldn''t change style of play.

[quote user="City penguin"]yes but Hughton has had no money for transfers and an embargo and built that team on a shoe string, Holloway through sheer stubbornness got pool relegated because he wouldn''t change style of play.[/quote]As I have said, Holloway got 39 points for Blackpool which would normaly have kept them up. As for Hughton, he still had players on tens of thounds of pounds per week at Brum, Holloway''s players and coaches were on that per year.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Lambert played the Holloway sytle of football, but Lambert had a far more expensive squad than Holloway did at Blackpool. Blackpool

were relegated from the Premier League on 39 points which would have

got them 15th position last season. Their first team coach was only

earning about 20k per year so quit. Blackpool also beat Hughton''s team

in the play-offs last season.[/quote]Exactly!Holloway and Hughton would have been no higher than 6th or 7th on my shortlist.Who else did we speak to, or was it a case of us simply go for the cheap option that would keep the majority of fans happy, due to the financial constraints that Birmingham City are currently under?A short sighted appointment in my opinion and I think that we will do well to avoid relegation this coming season.The future looks far brighter for Aston Villa than it does for NCFC right now.

[quote user="VisitingVillan"]Oh and Holloway is just one huge ego and mouth on legs who has done well at Blackpool and failed everywhere else. The guy is a gobshite and not a patch on Hughton.[/quote]

Ian Holloway is an exceptional individual, full of energy in all aspects of his colourful life, not just football. Somewhat larger than life, his charitable work is immense and, I believe, much based upon the personal experiences he has had with his daughters. He remains one of football''s characters.

I agree, though, that Hughton is probably the much better manager and certainly for NCFC at this moment in time. IMO.

I would also have felt uneasy about the influence of his (IH''s) style/personality upon our squad, especially after the strictish Lambert regime. The players might have become a bit "Hi-di-hi," to the detriment of discipline on the field of play. Holloway''s strengths nowadays seem better suited to a squad, more of his own devising, that he has brought through, as he did at Blackpool.  

It doesn''t really matter how many points Blackpool got or how many seasons in the last 20 it would have been enough to keep them up.

The fact is he didn''t keep them up and regardless of their wage bill and given the start they had he really should have done.

It was obvious as the season drew to a close that they needed to shut up shop more and be a little less cavalier but Holloway couldn''t change which says quit a bit about the man and manager.

You seem obsessed with the wages issue irrespective of the other factors. Yes Blackpool had a smaller wage bill than Birmingham. Fact.

Yet you are ignoring the fact that Birmingham lost half their squad and he had no money to replace them. You are ignoring the fact their owner got locked up or the fact they were put under an embargo.

You are also ignoring the fact that Holloway had a number of years to build a settled squad while Hughton had a few months.

Sure Blackpool beat Birmingham in the playoffs, believe me I enjoyed that a lot but Birmingham were knackered. Playing in the Championship and the Europa league then going to the Playoffs is a lot to ask of any squad.

Holloway has been around a long time and achieved very little. Hughton has been around, what? Two and a half seasons? In that time he has taken Newcastle up, would probably have kept them up and almost taken Birmingham up in very difficult circumstances.

I''m a Villa fan, I should dislike Hughton but I can''t help but respect the job he did last season.

I really can''t understand why anyone would want a gobshite like Holloway over Hughton a man who has a very professional air about him.

I can''t believe what I''m reading on this thread.

Are some of you lot that bored that you have nothing better to do than talk bollocks about our new manager before he''s even taken a training session?

F**k me.

Holloway is hilarious and very entertaining when he''s the manager of another club - I don''t think this would necessarily be the case if he was the manager of OUR club.

Hughton EVERY time.