Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Safe Standing

I was thinking about this the other day, and forgot I was going to start a new thread. However as you have bumped this one - i''ll comment here.

A couple of weeks / months they (the government) noted that the blame for Hillsborough is with the Police, and standing was not the cause of the accident.

I''m not sure I agree with this, however that''s not the point I was going to make.

Does this mean the Taylor Report is redundant and standing is safe? I believe as long as areas are policed correctly, and agreed with The FA etc then it should be allowed.

I''m sure it will continue to cause debate...but it seems to me removing all standing areas because of that report is incorrect. It''s made very high quality football grounds though.

Surely with health and safety these days standing will be very safe.

Away fans always stand, at least in every away game this season. Stewards occasionally try to get all or some sections to sit, but thats because they are told to. At Spurs the steward told us to sit down for a couple of mins just to make it look like they were doing their job properly.

The Taylor Report blamed a number of factors for Hillsborough – poor policing, failure to plan, faults with the ground design, failure to learn from previous lesson etc – but it didn’t say the cause was standing. Taylor stated that the evidence he received was that there should be a reduction in standing (swap the 2:1 ratio of standing : seating capacities), he made many recommendations that made terraces safer, then recommended that they should all go. Not only at football but at all sports.

Much of the recent report was already in the public domain through the Taylor Reports & elsewhere, (indeed two chapters of my book say much the same as the new report but were written some time before it was published) ,but it is only now that the media and public have listened and know that it wasn’t the fans who caused the loss of life.

The Taylor Report is far from redundant – it made many good recommendations that make football safer (but many others that are conveniently ignored). However Hillsborough cannot reasonably be used as a reason why we should not have standing areas. If they are safe in Leagues One & Two, at rugby grounds and in Europe, why not in all grounds?

An Early Day Motion has been raised in Parliament with the aim to build support amongst MPs for a relaxation in the government’s stance to allow safe standing trials in the Premier League or Championship.

The Football Supporters’ Federation are urging supporters to contact their MPs to get them to sign this EDM. The more who sign the greater will be the pressure on the government to allow safe standing trials.

Please follow this link to read more, sign the petition and email your MP.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safestanding/index.php

If it is implemented in the german way as in the previous photo with every person having a seat with a number so hooligans can be identified, and also a barrier in front and behind then I have absolutely no problem with it. In fact it would appear safer in future to design all the ground seating in this way.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Even if its green lighted, clubs spent money on all dearer conversions. I doubt very much they will pay money for stadium modification again.[/quote]

But at least the seats from the lower tiers could be re-used for the new top tiers, so it would be a bit of a saving  

Jas is right that many clubs wouldn''t see it as financially viable to strip out sections of seats. But the point is that by changing the legislation it gives clubs the choice. It doesn''t mean that every club immediately has to replace areas of seating with standing and indeed I think that would happen in very few cases, at least at first. The obvious example would be that if a club is building a new stand or stadium, then they could incorporate it into their new build design.

[quote user="paul moy"]If it is implemented in the german way as in the previous photo with every person having a seat with a number so hooligans can be identified, and also a barrier in front and behind then I have absolutely no problem with it. In fact it would appear safer in future to design all the ground seating in this way.[/quote]

Totally agree Paul.  Looks a great solution.