Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Who would replace Worthy?

With all this talk of sacking Worthington, there have been precious few suggestions as to who the board might bring in to replace him. (There are a lot of poor managers out there - as we know all too well from seasons past)Come on you Worthy-doubters, back up your arguement... Who would you bring in?

Let''s be ''avin you!

Ok, as I started the ***SHOCK POLL*** Worthington IN or OUT post, I feel I should contribute to this thread and give an answer.

Preston North End''s Billy Davies.

And before you say why, have you seen what he has done with Preston. If not, check out the Championship Table.

Western Canary, are you saying that Norwich and Preston are equal in terms of players, structure, capacity and standing? Could Worthy have done the same with a club from nowhere? I think not.

Billy Davies is only doing exactly what Worthy has done for City - if anything not quite the same.  City were a relegation faced side who got promotion under worthy, PNE have gone from a lower mid table side to one that are in the play offs.  Like Dowie last season Davies is having an effect but I dont think either are necessarily better that what we already have.

Keegan is not interested in football for a while if his announcements are to be beleived, which leaves Strachan (no experience of the demands of the championship) Venables (no thanks no charlatans here) or George Burley

I still prefer the idea of getting a ''mentor'' in to support worthy - something to fill Bobby Robsons time perhaps..

OTBC

Yes of course Worthy''s done exactly the same as the Preston manager - only more so. He took a mediocre playing staff and got them to over-perform so much that we won the League, and easily. This "flavour of the week" attitude demonstrates really clearly how shallow the "Worthy is rubbish" argument is. Not to say that he doesn''t need to improve, like the rest of the Club, if we intend to become an established Premiership side. But please - no crap suggestions like that, just based on the flimsiest of evidence.

I''d like Strachan, but a) we couldn''t afford the package necessary to get him here, and b) this forum would have even more complaints about him falling out with players. No, the real solution is for the present set-up to improve, which can be done. It went horribly wrong for David Moyes last season, and yet he turned it around this season. The coaching staff needs to buck its ideas up, and may need supplementing. But that doesn''t mean that they should be replaced by someone whose only attraction is that they''re doing now what our guys did last year. That''s just silly.

[quote]Western Canary, are you saying that Norwich and Preston are equal in terms of players, structure, capacity and standing? Could Worthy have done the same with a club from nowhere? I think not.[/quote]

Canary Boy, when Worthy took over we heading for what was Division 2 a few seasons later we won the Division 1 title, much to the suprise of pretty much everyone.

To this date Davies has accomplished nothing, Worthy for all his failings has been succesful.

[quote]Yes of course Worthy''s done exactly the same as the Preston manager - only more so. He took a mediocre playing staff and got them to over-perform so much that we won the League, and easily. This "flav...[/quote]

A great post Old Boy.  Agree with all of that!

It was very imprezzive how Worthy changed us from being a bottom half of the table side to a top half of the table side but the talent of Huckerby got us promotion. Without him we would of not even made the play-offs.

I am not saying that Worthy is a terrible manager but he has not done anything to prove that he is the one who can take us onto the next level.

Strachan.

He is big enough to admit when he''s made mistakes, but passionate enough to get the team raring to go.

He is clever enough to counter opposition''s strengths. Look at what he did with Saints in a short time, and look where they are now.

He''s studied the game (and other sports) all around the world, understands injuries, recovery, optimal training techniques and tactics.

There will be no more "I can''t ask anymore of the players" CR@P. What about passing the ball TO EACH OTHER Nigel?

He''s hilarious.

Only downside is that Man City have probably noticed these strengths too.

[quote]Who would replace Worthy? Ideally someone who knows how to win that league. Oh wait...[/quote]

Peter

Real problem is we need somebody who can keep us up after we have won that league again.

Now, I wonder.....?

OTBC

[quote]Wenger[/quote]

But Delia says ''Worthy is the new Arsene Wenger'' - interview in The Guardian a few months ago.So.........

OTBC.

It''s always a tough move to recruit someone who doesn''t have any connections with the club.1. cos they''ll take a lot of convincing to take the job if they''ve managed at the highest level.2. cos they will know f-all about the players - ie. who plays well with who, who''s a donkey etc. (like Souness with all the teams he''s destroyed)

Anyone out there with City connections?? I reckon Martin O''Neill needs a new challenge. Or maybe... Joe Royle (okay, bad joke).Fact of the matter is that as far as I can see there aren''t any obvious candidates that wouldn''t be a major gamble for the club. The strength of Worthy as manager is that he''s worked incredibly well as a team with Doug Livermore and Steve Foley who both have a wealth of experience (I don''t imagine the team + tactics are just picked by one man). If anyone, I''d think about handing the job to one of them - probably Livermore for his top-flight experience.... But I''m still in favour of keeping hold of Worthy for the foreseable.

who you would replace worthy with talk is complete nonsence. how many managers can manipulate the board to bring in the likes of hucks and ashton like he has. its allways been the other way round the board manipulating the manager as to how much he has to spend.also he has great skills to bring in the likes of ashton leon hucks etc, plenty of other clubs was in for them he sold norwich to them.stick with worthy. worthy is our king give him five year contract if he wants it. on top of the one he already has.one of the best weve had at club i feel. city till i die. 

[quote]who you would replace worthy with talk is complete nonsence. how many managers can manipulate the board to bring in the likes of hucks and ashton like he has. its allways been the other way round the ...[/quote]

And they call me potty!.

Another 5 years AT?.

Jeez!, the good spirits help us!.  

[quote]Strachan. He is big enough to admit when he''s made mistakes, but passionate enough to get the team raring to go. He is clever enough to counter opposition''s strengths. Look at what he did with Saint...[/quote]

Yes - and he took Coventry down as well, with a wage bill that has made it impossible for them to progress. So much so they''re now in the relegation zone again - only this time down to the third tier!

PS Hurrah 500 posts up now!!

I wonder if Mike Phelan''s not getting tired of ManUtd , and if Mark Bowen might soon get fed up of Sparky.

Now, I think that would be a combination with real possibilities.

OTBC