Sign in to follow this  
priceyrice

Snodgrass link

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/robert-snodgrass-keen-to-link-up-848699

Robert Snodgrass is

set to link-up with his old Leeds pals Bradley Johnson and Jonny Howson

at Norwich -unless the Elland Road outfit match his ambition by making quality new signings this summer.

Canaries boss Paul Lambert is leading the chase for £8million-rated Snodgrass, with Newcastle, Stoke and West

Brom also interested.

But the Scotland international,24, favours a

switch to Carrow Road and a re-union with his former Leeds midfield

partners Johnson and Howson, who

have both made the move to East Anglia in the last 12 months.

The

Yorkshire side have offered Snodgrass a new deal which would make him

their top earner on £15,000-a-week. But he is refusing to sign until

Leeds show they mean business as buyers in the transfer market ahead of a

fresh tilt at promotion to the Premier League next season.

And United boss Neil Warnock can understand his skipper’s reluctance to pledge his future to the club.

Warnock

said:”When

I spoke to Snods he said to me ‘12 months ago it was Max Gradel,

Bradley Johnson, Jonny Howson and me in midfield, and now I’m the only

one left.’

“I understand where he is coming from. I know he is saying ‘ let’s see how ambitious the club are.’

“He

is

going to wait and see who we sign and how the situation develops. I

have seen some of his comments, and he has come out and said he’s heard

it all before at the club.

“Snods has been here longer than me, so probably he knows more about the politics than I do.

“I

see

both sides, but it doesn’t help the fans. They want to see a top team

and, quite honestly, I don’t think we are anywhere near as good as we

should be with the size of this club.”

Snodgrass, who still has a year left on his current deal, cost a bargain £150,000 from Livingston four years ago.

The key is the £8M valuation. If Leeds want that, or anything near it, we won''t touch him. I cannot see Norwich paying much more than £4M for anybody - £10M could easily be our whole (net spend) budget for next season!

Leeds haven''t got a lot of cash and it wouldn''t surprise me if he was sold to fund new players for Warnock, but I fear he may be a little bit too expensive for the Carrow Road coffers.

To demand £8 million is a very dangerous game by Leeds. If they are not well in contention they risk losing him for nothing next summer. My gut feeling is he could be on his bike this summer. With Clayton transfer listed and Bates unwilling/unable to meet Portsmouth''s valuation for Joel Ward there doesnt seem to be much sign Leeds will push hard for promotion this year, which could make up his mind. Whether he will come here is another matter altogether.

I expect he will be sold this summer and if Lambert sees him as a priority i think we could be his likely destination. I think this 8M figure is extremely hopeful, they will be lucky to get near 4M. We got Howson, regarded as highly as snodgrass, for 2M with 6 months of his contract left, i don''t imagine it will take too much more than that to bring Snoody in, the Leeds board know he''s unlikely to sign a new contract, they will want to get the some money from his sale now to help fund Warnocks squad building, because his value is only diminishing as his contract runs down

This is 2+2 = 5 journalism. He hasn''t said he wants to go to Norwich at all, but the Mirror have filled some space by assuming we''re still interested in him, and picking up the quotes he made a few days ago now criticising the club.the £8m is ridiculous and made up, it will be £3-4m with 1 year on his contract.That said, I do think it could well happen!

Exactly Judderman, it''s fairly common knowledge that he''s frustrated by the lack of investment in the team, as was Howson, but there is no quote from Snodgrass anywhere saying he would favour a move here. It''s no different to all the Lambert to Villa bollocks we''ve had to put up with for the past 2 weeks. The £8m figure is just an imaginary number they''ve plucked out of the air to accompany the rest of their made up drivel. We wouldn''t pay £8m for a player even if we could afford it.

None of Bradley Johnson, Jonny Howson or Robert Snodgrass are currently in the £4 to 8m bracket; although they could develop into those valuations. Johnson was being touted to be on the verge of an England call-up at one point, and if Scott Parker is still rated £10m, then Howson must have at least a £5m potential providing he completes an excellent 2012/13 season.

Snodgrass I really like, but does he have true Premiership pace? Not sure about that - but say we bought him for £4m; that would mean Johnson for £0, Howson £2m, Snodgrass £4m = 3 ex-Leeds midfield players for a total of £6m (+ salaries).

Looks a bit like a ''Buy 2 - Get 1 Free'' retail offer!

I guess that would represent decent transfer business to all concerned?

Knowing what Bates is like, if we went in with a vaguely decent offer, he''d likely snap our arm off, especially with Snodgrass'' contract expiring next year.I''d be tempted to go in with something cheeky like 2.5 mil and raise it up to a max of 4 mil if needed.

Mirror has us down as making an opening bid of £1.4 million , thats more like extracting the urine than being cheeky .

if he wants to go, they will have no choice but to load him off on whatever club he wants to go for. as for us only having 10m, I doubt that will be the case.

Can see us putting in a 4-6m bid for him. if he wants to come here, leeds have basically no choice.

Not too sure if I would like us to sign him. Obviously I would, as he is class, but is it worth spending multi-millions on a winger, when we already have 2 brilliant ones (3 if you include Lappin!). I''d rather see money spent on a new CB and ST. Having said that, I''d love him here.

[quote user="Brendo"]Not too sure if I would like us to sign him. Obviously I would, as he is class, but is it worth spending multi-millions on a winger, when we already have 2 brilliant ones (3 if you include Lappin!). I''d rather see money spent on a new CB and ST. Having said that, I''d love him here.
[/quote]

Well I can''t see us trying to sign only one player this summer........I should imagine a centre back, a right back and a striker are also on the shopping list

[quote user="Brendo"]Not too sure if I would like us to sign him. Obviously I would, as he is class, but is it worth spending multi-millions on a winger, when we already have 2 brilliant ones (3 if you include Lappin!). I''d rather see money spent on a new CB and ST. Having said that, I''d love him here.
[/quote]

Norwich were lucky last year to avoid too many long term injuries to key players - lose Pilkington or Bennett for a prolonged period and Norwich are short on players who can provide real width, I fully expect at least one wide player to come in over the summer.

[/quote]...and the prize for indecivisness goes to....   snoddy would be a great signing from our little feeder club. need a player to challenge our wingers and give lambert more options. plus, he scores goals.

Does Sodgrass have something of an "attitude problem"? I don''t mean unpleasant to anyone, but rather of variability of commitment in a match. Sometimes he is "on fire", and sometimes unnoticeable, or so I hjave read on this board some time ago.

If this is true, would PL want him, and if so will he be able to get a more consistent performance from him? The man is class, and scores good goals, but will he fit in our "lean young man" emphasis, or is that to change in the future?

A lot of good players blow hot and cold, Nani is a great example of this, one week he''s unstoppable for Man Utd, the next he''s completely anonymous.I can''t see any reason why Snodgrass wouldn''t fit in well with our team ethic. Also I''d argue it''d be easier to integrate him into the team in some ways due to Howson and Johnson already being here.

I think Snodgrass is a better Wes, he can play so many positions, either in the hole or out wide, he isn''t a signing who will come in to fill the squad out, he''s a signing who will drastically increase our first 11. Leeds made a real mistake not selling him last year because he is going to be a bargain for a club this summer, i just hope it is us.The 4-6M figure someone else throw out is likely to be way wide of the mark, he only has 12 months left on his contract, he will come very cheaply (in relative terms). Snodgrass, a striker,  A COUPLE DEFENDERS AND A BATTLING MIDFIELDER AND WE ARE IN THE MONEY!

Pricey rice you are so right.Snoddy, a striker, centre half, right back and that battling midfielder, put a cheeky bid in for Lansbury and Pacheco. Then in the Spring window maybe look at another striker and depending on our centre half play look at a centre half.Then we will have a very good team. But I agree we are looking at players who walk into our first 11, or 16 because I think we all can agree an amazing achievement, amazing but we can see improvement in every position needed for next season.

I hope we sign him then i think the midfield is spot on with a bit of cover i also know plenty of leeds fans and would love to take the p1ss out of thier squad being picked to the barebones by us. Something they would of thought was impossible not that many years ago. Also the cheaper we get him the more it suits the clubs and my own gain lol

Mirror has us down as making an opening bid of £1.4 million which is just about right, when they sold Howson to us, Bates said it was a ''no brainer'' coz he only had a year on his contract.

This is good news, if snoddy is getting frustrated at leeds (as one would be under the "leadership" of colin) then a move to his old pals would do just fine. Oh, and adding in the fact that he would play in the prem often.

So yeah, looks good. I think he would fit in lamberts team brilliantly. He''s quick and he scores. Surman, although I really like him, doesn''t score as often as i''d like to imo. Snodgrass scores a lot, and he looks hungry. He''s impressed and now I think he wants to move up.

[quote user="JohnBarnes"]Some Leeds Fans seem to think they are under a transfer Embargo, does that mean they cant sell too?[/quote]so can Leeds sell? it seems they''re in a middle of a takeover

[quote user="The ambassador"]He''s quick and he scores.[/quote]Not to nitpick, and I have barely seen him play personally, but the one criticism I keep hearing about him is that he isn''t quick.

grantham, I think your obsevation that we need only ''cover'' in the midfiel is wrong. I think we need starters and that many of our first team squad players will be on the bench or cover. We have to improve our first 11.I expect the calibre of players to really lift our first 11.

[quote user="smooth"]grantham, I think your obsevation that we need only ''cover'' in the midfiel is wrong. I think we need starters and that many of our first team squad players will be on the bench or cover. We have to improve our first 11.I expect the calibre of players to really lift our first 11.[/quote]
Didn''t seem to do too badly last season...
Snodgrass, if he signs, will probably go straight into the match day squad of 18. He may not always start, but he''ll get on the bench at the very least.

The first post on this Leeds messageboard thread is interesting, don''t know whether theres any truth in it but knowing we''ve put offers in for him it might be.

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26775

I''d love to see us sign Snodgrass, I just hope he isn''t persuaded to stay if their potential new owners promise to spend big this summer with promotion in mind.

Link to BBC article about Leeds new investment:

[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18250446[/URL]

Perhaps this and the 4 year deal just signed by one of their "most promising" youngsters - Tom Lees - might mean that Snodgrass decides to stay after all. If they''re starting to put their money where their mouth is after Snodgrass and Colin''s comments in the press this week then it may be that they''re a little more serious about keeping hold of players.

Who knows, they may even get an owner that wants them to play promotion winning football!