Sign in to follow this  
65Vintage

Paul Lambert

Guys, caughtoffside.com is running the headline Rodgers to Liverpool, Paul Lambert to Villa, Martinez going know where. I hope there is no truth to it.

From Sporting Life website

Aston Villa are aiming to appoint their new manager by the start of

next week with Paul Lambert and Roberto Martinez at the forefront of

their thoughts,
Press Association Sport understands.

Wigan boss Martinez''s advisors spoke with Villa at the end of last week before the Spaniard held talks with Liverpool.

But Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers now appears to be the new favourite to take charge at Anfield.

It is understood Martinez is now willing to push ahead with Villa talks - a post he rejected 12 months ago.

But the delay in any possible deal while he spoke to the Reds means Norwich manager Paul Lambert is also now on Villa''s radar.

The midlands club have still to make an official approach to either

Wigan or the Canaries but are set to push ahead with moves in that

direction in the next 24 hours.

Villa owner Randy Lerner sees Martinez as the kind of progressive

young manager needed to take the club forward after dismissing Alex

McLeish two and a half weeks ago.

He has also been impressed by Lambert steering Norwich to successive

promotions and establishing them in the Barclays Premier League last

season.

But either appointment - if permission is given to Villa to open talks - would be subject to compensation being agreed.

contact made with Lambert according to BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18262885

[quote user="Bovril"]contact made with Lambert according to BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18262885[/quote]Not exactly - "Intermediaries for Villa spoke with Martinez at the end of last week,

while contact has also been made with representatives of Lambert"

[quote user="87canary"]Where do you get that from bovril? Says nothing of the sort.....[/quote]

''Intermediaries for Villa spoke with Martinez at the end of last week, while contact has also been made with representatives of Lambert.''

Unless PL asked to speak to them, then no contact has been made as McNally made it clear we weren''t interested in listening to offers for him.If he has asked to speak to them, this in itself still isn''t an issue as there''s nothing wrong with seeing what''s on the table even if it''s just to reassure yourself about how good you''ve already got it :)

As I said in another thread, lambert will stay here.

Villa will ask, McNally will tell them where to go, end of.

The link between Lambert and Villa hasn;t gone away despite what many of us hoped. If its going to happen then lets get on with it as it needs to be sorted either way so we can get on with planning for next season.

For me, it will be very interesting to see how McNally plays it if they do make an official approach. Will he just refuse permission meaning Lambert would be faced with a choice of staying or resigning if he really wants to go. Knowing Mcnally I suspect he might.

The biggest joke is that on their boards quite a few of their fans would not be happy with Lambert. With their overinflated view of the importance of their club they appear to have missed the fact that he''s if anything too good for them and were he to go there would only be using it as a stepping stone to bigger things in due course anyway!

Two subtle differences: they spoke with Martinez; they spoke with representatives of Lambert.

"REPRESENTATIVES". Could be McNally or some of his acolytes. In which case, I think its pretty clear Lambert isn''t interested and is staying- as was obvious from the start.

I seriously doubt that Rodger''s will go too. But still, I can''t help but feel that there is somehow a little more to ''Rodger''s to Liverpool'' than ''Lambert to Villa''.

Jim Smith: Have you ever considered that maybe Norwich is Lambert''s bigger and better thing? He isn''t a "big" club manager- doesn''t like the limelight, the media and the BS (but that''s just my opinion). He, and his staff, will drag us up with him. Just my opinion, of course.

Militant - yes its all about opinions. You may well be right and I hope that you are but my opinion, for whats its worth, is not so optimistic. I would say the reference to Lambert''s representatives is a reference to his agents and if following those discussions Villa are still pursuing it then one would have to conclude that they have not been dissuaded from doing so by the talks. In fact, if you look back at various media stories from the last month various members of the press appear to have been fed information that Lambert would be interested in the role. I therefore think that there is certainly evidence that implies that Lambert is very interested.

I also think lambert is fiercely ambitious and not really one for sentiment as we saw/benefitted from when he walked out on Col U to join us.

My view is therefore that if they approach us he will want to talk to them/probably leave. As I have said above i am therefore very interested to see how McNally plays it. Would we be better off with a p*ssed off lambert still at the club or letting him go and backing ourselves to get the right man in to succeed him. Tough call for McNally if he has to make it.

Fingers crossed they go for Martinez and the problem goes away.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Militant - yes its all about opinions. You may well be right and I hope that you are but my opinion, for whats its worth, is not so optimistic. I would say the reference to Lambert''s representatives is a reference to his agents and if following those discussions Villa are still pursuing it then one would have to conclude that they have not been dissuaded from doing so by the talks. In fact, if you look back at various media stories from the last month various members of the press appear to have been fed information that Lambert would be interested in the role. I therefore think that there is certainly evidence that implies that Lambert is very interested.

I also think lambert is fiercely ambitious and not really one for sentiment as we saw/benefitted from when he walked out on Col U to join us.

My view is therefore that if they approach us he will want to talk to them/probably leave. As I have said above i am therefore very interested to see how McNally plays it. Would we be better off with a p*ssed off lambert still at the club or letting him go and backing ourselves to get the right man in to succeed him. Tough call for McNally if he has to make it.

[/quote]

Jim, this would not be McNally''s decision to take alone. He is not a law unto himself. He might well advise the other directors as to what he thinks is best but ultimately it is a decision to be taken by all seven of them. And the same with a decision on any replacement.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Sorry mate, still think that your being overly pessimistic, not to mention unambitious. To me, the attitude displayed by some since this whole thing started has seemingly been that if almost any other premier league side showed any kind of interest in Lambert he would go because they are inherently better than us. That is not the case- we offer him far too much.

I do, however, understand where you are coming from and all naturally want whats best for the club. But I can''t help but feel that Lambert himself has given absolutely zero indication of a wanting out. Media speculation, more often than not, is nothing but hot air.

If it happens, then fair enough. And I, like everyone else, trust that McNally & co. will find a good replacement. Simply can''t see it happening, though.

Then again, I thought Rodger''s going to Liverpool was highly unlikely about 20 minutes ago, and that looks more and more likely.

I''ve lost sight of what my point was...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Jim, this would not be McNally''s decision to take alone. He is not a law unto himself. He might well advise the other directors as to what he thinks is best but ultimately it is a decision to be taken by all seven of them. And the same with a decision on any replacement.

[/quote]

Purple you are correct of course it would be a board decision, probably based on a recommendation from McNally. My perception is that Delia and MWJ would be likely to let him take the lead in dealing with the situation though. They seem to be more content to take a back seat. Bowkett and Foulger will no doubt also play a part as well. With them and McNallyb we certainly have some hard nosed businessment on the board! 

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Purple you are correct of course it would be a board decision, probably based on a recommendation from McNally. My perception is that Delia and MWJ would be likely to let him take the lead in dealing with the situation though. They seem to be more content to take a back seat. Bowkett and Foulger will no doubt also play a part as well. With them and McNallyb we certainly have some hard nosed businessment on the board! 

[/quote]

Jim, I think Smith and Jones are pretty hard-nosed too, as it happens. Perhaps they just don''t flaunt it so much!