Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

BBC 1 Panorama 20:30 tonight, Euro 2012: Stadiums of Hate

[quote user="kirku"]Perhaps we, in Britain, are lucky that our multicultural history has allowed us to largely move past such barbaric opinions. We are also lucky that our government has seen fit to take a strong stance against public displays of racism, the same certainly can''t be said for the regimes in China or Ukraine.[/quote]

Yes indeed, last summers London (race) riots made me enormously proud of our multicultural history - there was nothing remotely ''barbaric'' about what happened there - the fact that no-go areas for white indigenous people exist and are actually on the increase in England also render me a very ''lucky'' person - our children and their offspring will be eternally grateful for multiculturalism [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-41.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="kirku"]Perhaps we, in Britain, are lucky that our multicultural history has allowed us to largely move past such barbaric opinions. We are also lucky that our government has seen fit to take a strong stance against public displays of racism, the same certainly can''t be said for the regimes in China or Ukraine.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, last summers London (race) riots made me enormously proud of our multicultural history - there was nothing remotely ''barbaric'' about what happened there - the fact that no-go areas for white indigenous people exist and are actually on the increase in England also render me a very ''lucky'' person - our children and their offspring will be eternally grateful for multiculturalism [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-41.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I reckon both your post and the programme have concentrated on the negatives and not given a balanced view buddy.

The media and even this messageboard seem to always do that. I reckon we''d all be a lot happier if we concentrated on the positives but I doubt either way affects the reality.

[quote user="The Young One"][quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]

Same topic, different angle so thought I would post it here rather than start a new thread...

Balotelli has said today that he will walk off the pitch if he is subjected to any racial abuse during the Euro''s. The guys is a bit of a numpty sometimes but if he did walk off during a game I for one would doff my cap to the fella and to any england player that decided to do the same. How would you feel if one of our players did the same? would you support his actions?

[/quote]I would applaud Balotelli if he did that, and it would make interesting tv, I would also support any Black english player doing the same, it would make the authorites sit up and take notice.[/quote]

It would certainly as you say make the authorities take notice, too many national games have suffered racist chanting with nothing more than a stern glance from FIFA. I do worry about 2 things however, firstly now that balotelli has said this I give you one guess what will happen if Italy play Ukraine and balotelli is playing a blinder and secondly, if a player was to walk off the field, the chanters have won and this does stick in the throat somewhat. I still would support one of our players doing it, even if we were 1-0 up in the final against germany with no subs left because only something like this will  make the issue a priority for the european and world governing bodies in the same way the FA have done over the last decade.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="kirku"]Perhaps we, in Britain, are lucky that our multicultural history has allowed us to largely move past such barbaric opinions. We are also lucky that our government has seen fit to take a strong stance against public displays of racism, the same certainly can''t be said for the regimes in China or Ukraine.[/quote]

Yes indeed, last summers London (race) riots made me enormously proud of our multicultural history - there was nothing remotely ''barbaric'' about what happened there - the fact that no-go areas for white indigenous people exist and are actually on the increase in England also render me a very ''lucky'' person - our children and their offspring will be eternally grateful for multiculturalism [img]http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-41.gif[/img][/quote]

I reckon both your post and the programme have concentrated on the negatives and not given a balanced view buddy.

The media and even this messageboard seem to always do that. I reckon we''d all be a lot happier if we concentrated on the positives but I doubt either way affects the reality.

[/quote]

The Brussels Broadcasting Corporation seldom gives balanced views about anything. My pointing out the negatives where the topic of racism is concerned within this thread is to bring about that balance you speak of - I deplore racism, people on this thread clearly deplore racism, but nobody points out that racism is not merely a white on black thing.I''ve fought against racism the best part of my like, Ed, but when the negatives outweigh the positives on any given subject it''s jolly difficult to remain the contentious optimist.

So because the programme concentrated on one negative you probably feel that to give a more balanced picture you''d concentrate on another negative. We all do it.

I agree with you about the BBC Shyster. But the way I see it all media tell the news and documentaries in such a way as to appeal to their target audience. A few years ago I just happened to be watching the lunchtime news showing pictures of England fans fighting in the streets abroad. When the piece of film finished the newscaster said "Authorities are hoping these scenes aren''t repeated today". It was footage from a few years earlier, the last time England had played in that country. It seems to me that because the news wasn''t what the programme wanted to show they re-hashed some old news. The result of which left those England fans being tarnished by the actions of others from years earlier.

The London riots were not race riots. People of all different races and creeds were involved in that shameful act. There was no overt racial cause of the riots unlike, say, the ''92 L.A riots.Whatever your personal views are on race relations are rather irrelevant to both my post and to me. Despite your sarcasm I am very sure that our children will be eternally grateful for multiculturalism as I''ve seen endemic xenophobia in China and it''s truly chilling.

My previous post was directed to Shyster as I accidentally used ''reply'' instead of ''quote''. Why this forum doesn''t have an edit button is beyond me.

[quote user="kirku"]The London riots were not race riots. People of all different races and creeds were involved in that shameful act. There was no overt racial cause of the riots unlike, say, the ''92 L.A riots.Whatever your personal views are on race relations are rather irrelevant to both my post and to me. Despite your sarcasm I am very sure that our children will be eternally grateful for multiculturalism as I''ve seen endemic xenophobia in China and it''s truly chilling.[/quote]Without going over old ground. Some aspects of it was racially motivated and some wasn''t.  There''s no correct answer imo.  As for multiculturalism, you too can''t say everybody will be grateful for that because they aren''t.  Places like Blackburn have naturally divided for some reason between white and Asian. And I was only speaking to this old man in his 70s in a pub in Yarmouth fairly recently. He was/is an old eastender, he said he was bought in... blah blah blah. He then went on to say (verbatim) ''I''m not racist, but I am according to many, just for saying the East End is nothing what it was because of all the migrants''.There''s the problem, older people just don''t buy into multiculturalism, because it''s happened too fast for them imo.

So how old do you have to be to not buy into multiculturism? And at what age do ya reckon folk become ageist[:^)]

Just askin'' [;)]

[quote]As for multiculturalism, you too can''t say everybody will be grateful for that because they aren''t.[/quote]The opposite is worse believe me, I live amongst it.Some people who live in Britain aren''t grateful for what they have. Give them a few years in a ''developing'' country and they''ll soon change their tune. As someone once sang, ''you don''t know what you''ve got til it''s gone''. Perhaps the same is true of multiculturalism?

[quote user="kirku"][quote]As for multiculturalism, you too can''t say everybody will be grateful for that because they aren''t.[/quote]The opposite is worse believe me, I live amongst it.Some people who live in Britain aren''t grateful for what they have. Give them a few years in a ''developing'' country and they''ll soon change their tune. As someone once sang, ''you don''t know what you''ve got til it''s gone''. Perhaps the same is true of multiculturalism?[/quote]

With that above you''ve just supplied the answer as to why many people in the west are against the idea of multiculturalism - people in Britain are grateful for where they reside and don''t want to see it turning into a Third-World sh*it-hole - given a further twenty years of uncontrolled immigration and the high birthrates of ethnics already here and that''s exactly where this country is headed.

Headed? It may well be where Norfolk is headed. Some parts of the UK surpassed the point of no return years ago. It is funny hearing some talk about multiculturalism like they have lived in an area where it is prevelant.How the hell does David Cameron, or the majority of other politicians come to that, have any idea "that multiculturalism has failed"?Has it failed really? Well they may have decreased the numbers flooding in to the UK in recent years, but they are far from plugging the gap when it comes to the influx of different communities appearing in many inter city areas in recent years.