Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

BBC 1 Panorama 20:30 tonight, Euro 2012: Stadiums of Hate

Just saw a bit of the above programme on the lunchtime news.

Pretty disgusting stuff. Attacks against Asian fans, monkey chants aimed at black players and fans, Nazi salutes, all in stadiums that will be hosting Euro 2012 matches and the police seemed happy not to do anything about.

[quote user="BW"]Reminds me of the snakepit on match days[/quote]

You know insulting everyone sitting in the snakepit (and the rest of the supporters for that matter) will result in a backlash but you do it anyway. You enjoy it. Its very easy to be infamous, but its not the same as famous, you know that right.

That was a joke it''s well known that the snakepit is my choice of seat. But to be fair there are fans in that part of the stands that are a tad racist.

Every big tournement always plenty of these type of programmes knocking around,for once they might be right Poland always a dour trip,wig wearers and jester types be on your guard

The Ukraine will play France in our group before they play England who have as many if not more black players in their team, I guess both we and UEFA / FIFA will get to see intially before we play them as to quite what the extent of any racial abuse is before what could be a crucial final group decider?. The Ukranian''s may well have already disgraced themselves by that time in front of a worldwide scale in a major tournament?. Who knows what reprecussions that may hold?!?

Sounds quite an interesting programme. Without wishing to excuse it, the fact is that your average working class Ukrainian has had very little experience of non-white people. We get a lot of Ukrainian package tourists these days in the Spanish resorts just over the border to where I live (Costa Brava/Daurada), and it''s quite clear that when they see , for example, a British black person, a French arab, or someone from Asia, that it''s a comparative rarity to them, and something they can''t handle . I was in a bar in S''Agaro fairly recently and there was a large group of Ukrainian men. They started getting rather lippy with a group of French blacks who were over for the weekend, and, in the end ,the Spanish barman had to throw them out.

I''m afraid that things don''t augur well for Euro 2012 in that regard.

[quote user="BW"]Reminds me of the snakepit on match days[/quote]

BW you really are a total Tw@t you said you would not post for a month, we did not say it, you did!  but like most of what you say it was just a load of old rubbish!  You are not a man of your word and frankly seem a horrible little person.  By the way we are still waiting for the Holt announcement that he has signed a new 3 year deal that was going to be announced nearly a week ago before 19.30 according to your infinite wisdom!

You''re gona make me cry in a minute St. John Cooper

I will be at the 3 England group games and have seen football in Ukraine before, I suggest it is more of a problem in Poland. I recently read an incredible book on Dynamo Kiev during the second world war.....if you want to know how football can inspire  nation read the book in the link below....I look forward to having a drink to those who stood up to the Nazi''s through sport

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamo-Defending-Honour-Andy-Dougan/dp/1841153184

If the Ukrainians do any racist chants etc i expect you Saint to put one on them

[quote user="BW"]You''re gona make me cry in a minute St. John Cooper[/quote]

Good....I see you are still posting however and unlike you I dont hidebehind initials I use my real name...anwser the question why when you promise to stop posting if you are not proved correct do you not do it? or are you really that shallow or just seek attention because really you have no friends or any sort of life?

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[quote user="BW"]You''re gona make me cry in a minute St. John Cooper[/quote]

Good....I see you are still posting however and unlike you I dont hidebehind initials I use my real name...anwser the question why when you promise to stop posting if you are not proved correct do you not do it? or are you really that shallow or just seek attention because really you have no friends or any sort of life?

[/quote]

BW I will do my best as I am sure a lot of other English fans will, but I will be very suprised as I said more of a problem in Poland which I would imagine the programme will show.

BW read that book it is superb

Ok will try read it during the coming weeks. The reason why i continue to post is firstly its winds up enough people on here but now you have been polite to me and not trying to act like a kids like the rest of them and try and control me. I won''t post from now on until the 28th next month ok?

St.John - Are you going to the England games? I''ve been offered some free tickets but have nobody to go with. I''m tempted to come out and meet up with you. It''s a few years since you me and my dad got a bus from Norwich to Arnhem together!

WG.

[quote user="All in Yellow"]St.John - Are you going to the England games? I''ve been offered some free tickets but have nobody to go with. I''m tempted to come out and meet up with you. It''s a few years since you me and my dad got a bus from Norwich to Arnhem together! WG.[/quote]

It was indeed good days....sent you a PM MR G

Aren''t we all holier than thou!  I''ve been at Carrow Road when large numbers of people were making monkey noises at visiting black players but that seemed to stop with Justin Fashanu played for us.   Perhaps Eastern Europe is a little bit behind us, but it''s a bit much accusing them of the very crimes this country was comitting until the recent past, especially when you consider that we have serving politicians that represent the BNP!

This is the one thing that shames me about being Polish. I forget who said it was more of a problem in Poland than the Ukraine, but I disagree with this - it is a problem of all the former Soviet states in Eastern Europe equally, and I think you will find this when you go over to Ukraine.

There is no hiding the fact that this goes on and it is utterly abhorrent and I condemn it 100%. I can only hope that having the Euros will help further intercultural relations in Poland but I fear we may see some ugly scenes, that is my one great worry about us being the host nation.

Poland have recently had a black (Nigerian) Centre Forward (Emmanuel Olisadebe) and a "naturalised" Brazilian (Roger Guerrerio) playing for the national team and a significant proportion of the fanbase accepted them, but there were signs saying "Roger: You''ll never be Polish" and similar at several games.

It is a real problem of the former Soviet block who never really experienced the levels of migration that other countries did. This should in no way be interpreted as an excuse, just simply a statement of fact. There is something like 2000 different Neo-Nazi Skinhead gangs in Russia and there are plenty in Poland and Ukraine too, although i don''t have figures for this.

Stupid as Poland is a nation which lost 6 million people to the nazis and suffered horrendously, you think that the Polish people would have some sort of conscience about racism.

Did people not see the sky sports special on this where they were filming the ukrainian thugs who were perticually looking forward to seeing the english fans. Saying theyre going be meeting up with Russians etc. Shaktar where we play two games in the groups i think, are the biggest  football "firm" out there so England are in efect right in the Hornets nest for there games was a good watch, i dont even think its on sky anytime anymore

The difference between the Sky report was that they knew they were being filmed and as a result probably played up to the camera a bit.

The Panorama footage was undercover and particularly uncomfortable viewing as home fans attacked students (Asians) who were there also supporting the home team (with scarves on) and sitting in the family area.

The Eastern Europeans have always taken football firms and hooliganism to a whole different level than at any time in England.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]Wow.  That programme was horrendous.  Did anyone else feel very, very uncomfortable watching it???[/quote]Sickeing mate. I would advise all football fans to boycott.

I can''t believe I''m reading this.  Have you all forgotten the John Terry affair?  He was England captain until recently and will be playing at the Euro competition.  And in case you''ve forgotten, a significant number of Norwich fans were making racist chants in our match at QPRAs a nation, we currently have 2 BNP members representing us in the European Parliament.Eastern European countries are at the same stage that this country was at about 35 years ago when we had race riots.  It would be nice to offer to help them move forward, but I think they might consider us just a little bit hypocritical.

You will always get some idiots where ever you go - but Poland / Ukraine are on a different scale. I knew things were like that there years ago - its been on the TV before...and that why I would not consider going. They should not be staging the tournament. Trouble highly likely, the local officials on the programme seem in total denial of what going on. Stay home watch on the TV.