Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNath

Let's aim BIG!

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]Francesco Volpe, there are dozens of managers with Premier League experience around who don''t currently have a job in football.

Alan Curbishley? Rafa Benitez? Soon to be Di Matteo?[/quote]
Yeah I get what you are saying, but do you honestly think we could attract or even afford someone like Benitez? Unrealistic in my opinion and to be honest I''d rather Curbishly over him anyway. With regards to Di Matteo, I wouldn''t be disappointed if we got him, but I don''t think he''s all that he''s cracked up to be. Fair play he won the Fa Cup and CL with Chelsea, but to be fair a club with the squad and talent they have they should be winning such tournaments. I wasn''t impressed with anything else he''s done in his managerial career. Didn''t exactly set the world alight when he got his chance with West Brom. Besides, he may still end up remaining at Chelsea. Who knows what will happen with him.

I think for a club like Norwich (only team to field 11 British players last season) a British manager would be a must- just to keep that communication and moral up without a language barrier... Id hate to see some big foreign guy come in who no one can understand... how would he understand Holt for example? I imagine Lambert struggled at times :-P

Think I''d go for Poyet as well.

Over-ambitious (in that they wouldn''t come, or would be too expensive)?: Bielsa, Stojkovic, Hitzfeld, Solksjaer, Martinez, Di Matteo, Coyle, Grant (Avram, not Peter!), Culverhouse (sure he''ll be off with Lambert).

Possible, but IMO not the right choice: Holloway, Howe, Bruce, McCarthy, Clark, Robins, Grayson.

Worth further thought: Hughton, Poyet, Mackay, Curbishley.  Not exactly an overwhelming list, but there''s talent there... in order of preference (just my personal opinion) I''d go for Poyet, Curbishley, Mackay, Hughton... but would be reasonably happy with any of those four.  Thing is that Swansea will probably have a similar list, and I reckon will have Poyet at the top of it.  Got a feeling that we may end up with Malky.

I haven''t even bothered to include AVB, Mourinho, Guardiola etc...

I have it on good authority that norwich officials were spotted twice at mk dons towards the end of the season during office hours Karl Robinson is the man.

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]I think for a club like Norwich (only team to field 11 British players last season) a British manager would be a must- just to keep that communication and moral up without a language barrier... Id hate to see some big foreign guy come in who no one can understand... how would he understand Holt for example? I imagine Lambert struggled at times :-P[/quote]

Did you know that non-British people can also speak English - its incredible isn''t?

[quote user="Martin Bryant"]I think for a club like Norwich (only team to field 11 British players last season) a British manager would be a must- just to keep that communication and moral up without a language barrier... Id hate to see some big foreign guy come in who no one can understand... how would he understand Holt for example? I imagine Lambert struggled at times :-P[/quote]
Spot on!!
I was trying to think of a way of writing something similar in my post but didn''t want to sound racist. This is exactly the problem that someone like Benitez would cause. The last thing we need is a foreign manager coming in and disrupting the harmony amongst the squad with loads of foreign imports. I''m proud of the fact that our team is mostly British and it can only be good for the English game if more teams followed the example we set throughout the football leagues. Doubt that will ever happen though, especially not in the Premier League.

Ha! Many foreign manager''s English is clearer than Lamberts!

As for those who have suggested that only realistic manager''s names must be discussed on this thread, get a life! Threads like this provide entertainment value, nothing more. If you don''t like reading other people''s opinions, no matter how realistic/unrealistic you think they are, then don''t visit a message board!

As for everyone else, let''s start up a petition.....

Guardiola for Norwich!!!

In order of priority :Culverhouse (smooth transition), Hughton (recent good Prem experience), Curbishley (great track record), Mackay (not been there and done it in this league.But if Chelskov don''t want Di Matteo...

Very quickly.

First of all, I''m in shock about the resignation. I was wrong. Very wrong.

As its to go to Aston Villa, whilst Lambert shall always have a great deal of my respect and gratitude, I have lost some respect for him- I''ve a feeling they will do to him what they did with both his former managers.

On to replacements: I think we need to think outside the box here. Suggestions like Mackay- with all respect to him- leave me underwhelmed for numerous reasons.

Besides Lambert, there has been one manager in Europe that has really, really impressed me. His name is Christian Streich, manager of Freiburg. What he has done there is quite extraordinary. Might be difficult getting him- in terms of expense and the fact that he is very much Freiburg through-and-through. Nonetheless, I think its worth trying.

If you don''t know him, he''s great... and a bit mad. When he''s happy, he looks a bit like a demented Anthony Head. Hell of a character!

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-ballacks/freiburg-streich-back-153815768.html

I''m sorry, but any Swansea fans that are thinking they will get any of those names in are clearly deluded! Also, when will we EVER become a regular top 6 side????? Yes, we all love ambition, but that will not happen! Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle aren''t regular top 6 sides, so how will we be!?

We need to aim clever, not big.

We''re where we are because that''s what Lambert did when signing players.

Now is the time for McNally to show he really does have the acumen we all think he does & sign an intelligent, ambitious, motivating, underrated manager - another Paul Lambert, to be precise.

Unless we can find someone with the above qualities we are heading for relegation. It is unquestionable that he produced a team far greater than the sum of its parts.

I am more than a little concerned. Let us all pray that McNally is as good as we think he is.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"]Malky will be here by the end of next week[/quote]

I really hope not, That will be like aiming high and missed,

It''s very hard to get a real perspective of were we sit in the english football hierarchy especially whilst we sit at the peak of our recent history.

Personally, i had us down for competing for a top half place next season. With that in mind, we should really be getting a manager in who has that as his aims, and not survival.

I believe the always ''look upwards'' attitude towards the league has been a defining factor of Lambert''s success here, and the board hopefully have that in their mind when deciding on potentials.

So, it Got me wondering, what is higher? ...Where are we right now?! Who can do this job?

Personally, I couldn''t see any of these achieving top half (as an example):

Lee Clarke

Malky Mackay

Chris Powell

Karl Robinson

Simon Grayson

Eddie Howe

Think they''d all be good managers and personally wouldn''t be upset with either, would/could probably steer us through a relegation battle with 50/50 success, with luck being a contributing factor.

But they are achievable targets - what some would define as being ''our level''

However, these lot i could see giving us that extra drive to either replicate what happened last season, or to improve it.

Chris Hughton

Roberto Martinez

Ian Holloway

All young, confident team ethic-based managers that would suit us going forwards (imo).

Out of them, i think Martinez is the stand out manager purely as he''s got the experience in the top tier - But, Could we really attract him?

I guess, cutting out all the crap above, i''m asking at what point does a manager become too big for us?

[quote user="yoda"]I hope its culverhouse but if not maybe the MK dons manager ? Lamberts last game for colu v Norwich , last game for Norwich v villa , Robinson 1st game for Norwich v MK dons .[/quote]

I''d offer Culverhouse the job initially as he has played a major part in the current success and knows how the club works etc so there would be minimal disruption and maximum continuity. Failing that I''d go for Ian Holloway.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="yoda"]I hope its culverhouse but if not maybe the MK dons manager ? Lamberts last game for colu v Norwich , last game for Norwich v villa , Robinson 1st game for Norwich v MK dons .[/quote]

I''d offer Culverhouse the job initially as he has played a major part in the current success and knows how the club works etc so there would be minimal disruption and maximum continuity. Failing that I''d go for Ian Holloway.

[/quote] YEAH lets get holloway and go all out attck and get relegated quality idea let me guess we need cody back aswell

[quote user="Grantham Canary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote] YEAH lets get holloway and go all out attck and get relegated quality idea let me guess we need cody back aswell[/quote]

Ok, no Holloway then, so we should go for McLeish or Mackay for dour defensiveness.

For me it has to be Curbishley as well. We all know how difficult next season is going to be and the goal must be staying in the league. Curbishley has the credentials after doing a great job with both Charlton and West Ham - and also has experience of dealing with the inflated expectations of some fans.

Curbs can start straight away without compensation saving us the circus of trying to appoint a new manager and the small figured recouped from Villa can be put towards improving the squad.

I like Hughton but WBA have balked at the 2.4million it would cost to prise him away from Birmingham and we couldn''t afford that.

As for Poyet etc. I just don''t think we should gamble on an unproven manager in the Premiership at the moment as we can''t really allow for a bedding in period next campaign - we all know where we ended up after struggling at the start of the season under Worthy!

On a side note what Lambert has done in the last three years has been absolutely "monumental" and whoever comes in will be in his shadow at the start. So lets not dwell on Paul''s "side-step" to Villa and look forward to the battle that next season will be.

OTBC.