Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

Lambert owes us big time

If he does walk out on us, I for one won''t be sending him my best wishes.

Before he joined Norwich City, he was a no-mark manager at a joke club and we took a huge gamble on an unknown quantity when we signed him up as manager. Norwich City gave him the oppotunity to shine on a bigger stage. The board backed him to the hilt and the fans got behind him and his team from day one.

When he took the job Lambert knew what the situation was. He was aware of the seven year plan and he must have been ok with the setup or he wouldn''t have been our manager for the past three seasons. I''m pretty sure the board has always kept him informed as to what was going on at all times and gave him the freedom to run the squad exactly the way he wanted without any outside interference. 

So he seems to be off at the first big offer to comehis way if the rumours are to be true. If Lambert has any sort of respect to the fans and club who has shown so much loyalty over the past three years then he should at least decline one offer. There will be bigger and better offers for him further down the line if he stays at City and has another successful season with us.

If he does walk out then he will show himself to be a man of no honour. A man who walks out on legal contracts, not once,but now for a second successive time.  Another greedy leech milking the system for his own ends and stuff the people who have shown him such great support.

If he goes to Villa it will be because he''s sold out his integrity for cold, hard cash. In which case I hope he fails and does another Mike Walker, ending up in Cyprus or Malta or whereever. Good riddance Paul Lambert, man of no honour. 

Well, many of you did but it was inevitable that he would cash in his chips when his value was at its optimum and a bigger club with greater potential came along. I guess you can''t blame him but I have to say that the way he has behaved over the last few weeks and today has left a nasty taste in my mouth. Of course he has done a great job but we have been great for him too. At least I can now feel better about admitting that he got on my nerves with his constant harping on about "this time ______ years ago we were bottom of League 1" and "massive club and massive fans", always being restrained in his praise for Holt, never talking about "we" or "us" but always referring to Norwich and/or the Norwich fans. Small consolation I know because I would of course preferred him to stay !

[quote user="Fromage Frais"]Lamberts a Merc

He is good and knows there is no loyalty in football.

Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi![/quote]
90% of the population are when it comes to work.

Fully agree Jack!!! He seemed to be unhappy over the last few months and all the rumblings about player discontent behind the scenes must have been partly caused by his management style!!!

Absolutely gutted.

Having said that, I think we always knew Lambert was a bit of a mercenary after leaving Colchester to come to us. And his departure from Wycombe before that?  This is just another step on his progression up the football league. It can''t be that unexpected.  Let''s appreciate the manner in which he has helped our club recover from Gunn/Roeder/Grant. 

As for the OP''s original comment on "the club and fans who have shown him so much loyalty", I''m not sure he''s ever really tested us.  Easy to love him when he was doing well, but how loyal would we have been if things had taken a turn for the worse??

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

If he does walk out on us, I for one won''t be sending him my best wishes.

Before he joined Norwich City, he was a no-mark manager at a joke club and we took a huge gamble on an unknown quantity when we signed him up as manager. Norwich City gave him the oppotunity to shine on a bigger stage. The board backed him to the hilt and the fans got behind him and his team from day one.

When he took the job Lambert knew what the situation was. He was aware of the seven year plan and he must have been ok with the setup or he wouldn''t have been our manager for the past three seasons. I''m pretty sure the board has always kept him informed as to what was going on at all times and gave him the freedom to run the squad exactly the way he wanted without any outside interference. 

So he seems to be off at the first big offer to comehis way if the rumours are to be true. If Lambert has any sort of respect to the fans and club who has shown so much loyalty over the past three years then he should at least decline one offer. There will be bigger and better offers for him further down the line if he stays at City and has another successful season with us.

If he does walk out then he will show himself to be a man of no honour. A man who walks out on legal contracts, not once,but now for a second successive time.  Another greedy leech milking the system for his own ends and stuff the people who have shown him such great support.

If he goes to Villa it will be because he''s sold out his integrity for cold, hard cash. In which case I hope he fails and does another Mike Walker, ending up in Cyprus or Malta or whereever. Good riddance Paul Lambert, man of no honour. 

[/quote]

the strange thing is that your not joking. we don''t owe lambert anything.....well perhaps a bigger budget, but he left because villa are a bigger club than us with more money to spend, although i wish it could have been handled a little differently and although probably think he should stay with us for another season because a better job will come up no doubt, we still don''t owe him.

Yes I feel the same, but I can''t say I wish him well. He''s left our club, for the money and I feel very frustrated. Sorry, but I hope it turns out to be the wrong decision and everything goes pearshaped for him at Villa...just like the Mike Walker saga.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i''m not sure that we should, but if culverhouse gets the job then surely lambert won''t do half as well at villa?[/quote]Culverhouse will be going with him, no doubt about that whatsoever.I agree with both sides of the argument here, he has done a lot for us but the manner in which he has left and after the whole "happy here" and "it''s speculation" crap then it has also left a bitter taste in my mouth. Villa is a bigger club than us as much as it pains us all to admit it. Everything there is in place to challenge for European football at some stage and as fantastic as it has been being a Norwich fan for the last few years, that''s not going to happen here anytime soon.

He''s not left yet!

But if he does then I wish him well. He''s done a fantastic job on a very tight budget. Look where we are now. As for being a mercenary, can any of you say you wouldn''t move for more money and a vastly bigger spending budget? Not many would turn it down.

He wasnothing before he came to us. We gave him a chance at the big time and he rewards us by walking at the first opportunity. At least we know all his talkof how happy he was here was just BS.

He wasnothing before he came to us. We gave him a chance at the big time and he rewards us by walking at the first opportunity. At least we know all his talkof how happy he was here was just BS.

[/quote]

Are you serious?? When he came to us we were rock bottom of League One having just been stuffed by Lambert''s own team??  How is convincing him to jump ship to a bottom of the league club "giving him a shot at the big time"??

I had feared this would happen, but had hoped that it wouldn''t and that McNally would somehow have it covered. I had wanted to believe that Lambert was really in it for the long term and that he believed in NCFC, a managerial version of Mr Huckerby. But sadly he has shown himself to ultimately be no different from the rest. We have no right to expect any different but it still hurts somewhat.

However, the 3 seasons he has been here have transformed the place and we must never forget that. We really were rock bottom when he arrived. now we can move on and hopefully attract a good replacement who can evolve the Lambert philosophy and get us established. I am not sure how much further Lambert really could have taken us on the pitch with his ruthlessness in policy and tactical tinkering. At some point we would have needed to push on, got a settled first team and brought in other players.

So, mixed emotions really. Grateful for what he has done but disappointed how it has ended, jumping at the first sniff of something he thinks better.

[/quote]

i actually can not believe your serious after all he''s done for us.

I actually believe him when he says he''s happy here, however if he wants to go somewhere what he thinks can do better then he will.

I hope that PL retains sufficient of his, often stated, respect and admiration for NCFC''s supporters to give us a full explanation of why he has decided to jump ship - after all his claims that he loves it here etc. etc. etc. However I doubt if he will.

Does anyone think there is any link between PL and Grant Holt both wanting to leave? Also which of our players do you think PL will try to take to Villa with him?

[quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]

[/quote]

I actually believe him when he says he''s happy here, however if he wants to go somewhere what he thinks can do better then he will.

[/quote]

You''re forgetting what we have done for him. We are a club with a history of top-tier football and European qualification. He came from no-hopers Colchester United and had not exactly set the footballing world alight until we gave him a chance.  

Now he''s walked out at the first whiff of a bigger club days after telling us how happy he was here. Wait until he starts raiding our players, and  then tell me if you still think the sameof him. Mercenary b*****

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

I had feared this would happen, but had hoped that it wouldn''t and that McNally would somehow have it covered. I had wanted to believe that Lambert was really in it for the long term and that he believed in NCFC, a managerial version of Mr Huckerby. But sadly he has shown himself to ultimately be no different from the rest. We have no right to expect any different but it still hurts somewhat.

However, the 3 seasons he has been here have transformed the place and we must never forget that. We really were rock bottom when he arrived. now we can move on and hopefully attract a good replacement who can evolve the Lambert philosophy and get us established. I am not sure how much further Lambert really could have taken us on the pitch with his ruthlessness in policy and tactical tinkering. At some point we would have needed to push on, got a settled first team and brought in other players.

So, mixed emotions really. Grateful for what he has done but disappointed how it has ended, jumping at the first sniff of something he thinks better.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.[Y]

I had been in denial for the last few days/weeks about this possible move thinking that he would stick with us for at least another season.I had hoped that the way he was building the team was reason enough to stay,but no,things move on.

Gutted,and as you say dissappointed at the ending but he owes us nothing really.Still want it to go tits up at Villa though.I''m not bitter.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"][quote user="mrs miggins"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''re forgetting what we have done for him. We are a club with a history of top-tier football and European qualification. He came from no-hopers Colchester United and had not exactly set the footballing world alight until we gave him a chance.  

Now he''s walked out at the first whiff of a bigger club days after telling us how happy he was here. Wait until he starts raiding our players, and  then tell me if you still think the sameof him. Mercenary b*****

[/quote]

yes we did give him the chance after he beat us 7-1, but he''s the one (along with karsa and culverhouse) who''s really taken us forward. he''s the one who decides the team and players that he wants. And please don''t talk about the history (or lack of) that club have because although we were a bigger club than colchester due to our potential and fans, we are not bigger than aston villa at this moment in time as they are a club with potential, and I can see why he''s gone there in a way, though perhaps a little soon. We don''t owe him anything and think your very bitter