Sign in to follow this  
bradders

Aston Villa fan in peace

Many of you will know me from Opposition Views for AstonVillaToday, I was at Norwich at the last game of the season and spent a large portion of my time talking to Norwich fans and you are a pleasant bunch and enjoyed the conversations.

The topic turned to Paul Lambert I was re-assured that Lambert wouldn’t become to Villa following the recent developments what are you take on circumstances. What can Aston Villa expect from Paul Lambert?

I offer my sorry to you all as I know what it’s like to lose a manager in the way you are potentially going to. MON may not have left Villa for another club but he left at the drop of a hat, suppose that the danger of rolling contracts.

Who would you like at NCFC?

Hi bradders, maybe a bit soon to get many reasonable responses yet, still abit raw but for whats its worth.. if he brings his backroom team, you got a great manager who will buy well and get the most out of your current players. You will be able to predict the answers to every press conference within a month. He will leave you as soon as a bigger club comes in for him but will leave you in a much better position than when he took over, as long as he takes culverhouse and karsa.

Good luck getting peace today :P

To answer your question, who do I want at NCFC?

None of the current people on the oddschecker radar. But will settle for Chris Hughton.

Or anyone other than: Steve Bruce. Mick McCarthy. Alex Mcleish, and just to be crystal clear, Steve Bruce.

DO NOT WANT STEVE BRUCE.

ill be the first, fuck off you stinking, useless at building cars midlander. ;)

In all seriousness i expect you to be challenging top 8 next year.

[quote user="City penguin"]ill be the first, fuck off you stinking, useless at building cars midlander. ;)

In all seriousness i expect you to be challenging top 8 next year.[/quote]Oi !!! I''m a staunch Norwich City fan, from Norfolk, owning a house in Norwich... working for a well known Midlands manufacturer of luxury, sports and off road vehicles !! I''m not even the only Norwich fan here, there are quite a few of us plying our trade over here.On another note... 3 years'' time Man U or B Dortmund will probably be looking for a new manager...

the same OGS that turned down villa because of family reasons related to leaving Norway? Last time i checked we were still in the UK.

If you get PL you will play from the back, and work up the pitch, very little hoof ball. You will never know what team you will see as he changes every game normalyl 4/5 changes too! I''m not sure transfer wise as he may get more funds to buy bigger names, but he wont go for big egos as im not sure he could handle it.

He''s not comfortable with the media, will need a really good start because if the fans get on his back, well.................. The surprise at the move shows what a private person he really is.Astute tactically, he likes playing different formations, and changing them at half-time when they''re not working. He''s good in the transfer market, but that''s because he tends to buy players to specifically fit different systems, or gives them a specific job to do (eg play at the base of the diamond and break up play). Good man-manager and motivator, though it''s difficult to see how his mantra of "young, hungry players" will work with the likes of N''Zogbia at Villa.

He came to our club when we were close to rock bottom.  Has been well supported by the board and has done a good job.  Has spent well and our club is, without doubt, in a far stronger position now.  How he handles things when they are not going his way remains to be seen.  Things have always been good for him at Carrow Road, so we have no idea how he would cope with some of the pressures that will come with being Villa manager.

OGS and Martinez (x2) have walked away from your club to stay at lesser clubs, and MON quit with nowhere else to go.  That suggests that all is not well at Villa and I would suggest that he might not have the freedom that he is currently probably being promised.  So, in summary, you are getting a very good manager and he will bring exciting times to VP.  You will never settle for a draw or sit back when in a winning position.  Whether you will be a good match for each other is a completely different matter.  How will he get on with Bent, Dunne, Ireland and the other players on better money then himself?  How well will he spend big pots of money?  These are things that he has not had to concern himself with up until now.  Being the fans choice will give him a few more games but would expect that he will not still be Villa manager (if he joins you), in 12-18 months time.

Just my humble opinion of course!

lambert and Norwich == right man at the right time, I wouldn''t hold my breath waiting for a transformation such as we enjoyed and being honest league starting position apart villa are in as large a mess as we ever were and some.

there are no available ie unemployed British managers that I would want at the club, come to think of it the employed ones that have been named are all incapable of taking us forwards too.I''d like to see Roberto De Matteo not get the Chavski job but still want into management, that''ll make the Yanks choke!![:P]

I personally think that Lambert needs a certain squad type and Villa ain''t that. It''ll need a over haul and can you afford it? We''ve only seen Lambert pluck lower league players and creating a great team. Villa have lots more individuals not sure how he''ll deal with that to be honest. Could end in tears.

[quote user="jedi"]I personally think that Lambert needs a certain squad type and Villa ain''t that. It''ll need a over haul and can you afford it? We''ve only seen Lambert pluck lower league players and creating a great team. Villa have lots more individuals not sure how he''ll deal with that to be honest. Could end in tears.[/quote]

If Norwich don''t accept his notice they are within their rights to place him on gardening leave, then he won''t be avaliable, correct me if I''m wronge. But we had the very same conversation with the Colchester fans, He always leaves a club under a cloud, and as its already been said He dumped them foe a bigger club he will do the same to others including Villa, he shows no Lialty and will not commit  himself to making any statement such as I AM STAYING PUT AND GOING NOWHERE, I do however, thank him for what he has done here,but he wasn''t alone he had Culverhouse and Karsa both of which could be offered the Job here, if that happens you will see a very different Lambert,I fear you will be hunting again very soon for his replacement.

It will be interesting to see if McNally sees Culverhouse as our next manager. If you were Culverhouse would you turn it down if offered the job? And if he took it where would that leave PL?Other than that as long as we finish above Villa next season, i could not give a stuff what happens to them seeing as they are no longer even the best midlands club anyway. [:P]

Hi Bradders.

May I echo the sentiments of my fellow supporters and say you can fuck right off.

Hope it all goes tits up and you get relegated.

Like the Murphy''s etc etc

As much as Villa fans might pretend that last seasons poor run was purely just down to the fact that they had an ex-Birmingham manager , the fact is that clubs problems run far deeper than that. Now that McLeish has gone and theyve lost that alibi both they and Lambert will now see how rotten the club really is. I hope Villa drag Lambert down with them.......The only question is ,will Lambert resign or get the sack first ?!?!?!?!?......hopefully after a defeat to Norwich!

Bradders,

Unfortunately (for us) you''ve got yourelf an extremely good manager. Whether he will be given the time or resources to make a difference is another matter. But if anyone can turn around a failing team and move you up the league, Lambert''s your man.

You have a very good manager, who I imagine the fans will take to after McLeish. Depending on resources I reckon he will do well for you. As others have said, if he is successful do not expect him to be around forever.And apologies for some of the idiots posting in this thread, in our defence every team has their share.

Lambert is an excellent manager but very idionsyncratic in ways various posters have mentioned above.  At Norwich he was able to take an unconventional approach, because he built on success from League 1 and was able to carry that approach with us into the Prem.

I''m not at all convinced that he''ll get the same scope at Villa and I expect him to have a very limited time to get results, so I can see it failing to work out. 

Hi BraddersMaybe you''re a little too quick off the mark on this one but here''s my slant on it :Lambert is, in public at least, a typical Scotsman - very dour. A minor problem supporters struggle with is the '' language barrier ''. Most people think the Brummie accent is impenetrable but it''s BBC Home Counties compared to his. He''s hopeless with the media too which isn''t good PR when things go wrong ( as they almost always do )Norwich fans can be a fickle lot but we''re nothing compared to Villa''s so he''ll need to hit the ground running. If he doesn''t I suspect the knives will soon be out. But I doubt he can possibly perform as badly as Alex McCleish so he should get some breathing space to get his feet under the table.Lambert isn''t used to massaging the big egos of established Premier League players so he might have a few problems with some of your '' stars ''. It''ll be interesting to see how he deals with it tandem with your peculiar American owners. Lambert seems to style himself on Martin O''Neill so if their temperaments are also the same there could be early fireworks. Despite all this he''s a brilliant manager but that of course makes him very saleable. Don''t expect him to be with you for too long.........

The thing is, if Lambert does well for you, it will only be a matter of time before a "bigger club comes knocking". And Lambert will do exactly what he has done to us and his previous club Colchester and resign. So even though you want Lambert to be a big success, the more successful he is with you, the more chance he will move on again. So good luck on that one buddy!

[quote user="bradders"]

Many of you will know me from Opposition Views for AstonVillaToday, I was at Norwich at the last game of the season and spent a large portion of my time talking to Norwich fans and you are a pleasant bunch and enjoyed the conversations.

The topic turned to Paul Lambert I was re-assured that Lambert wouldn’t become to Villa following the recent developments what are you take on circumstances. What can Aston Villa expect from Paul Lambert?

I offer my sorry to you all as I know what it’s like to lose a manager in the way you are potentially going to. MON may not have left Villa for another club but he left at the drop of a hat, suppose that the danger of rolling contracts.

Who would you like at NCFC?

[/quote]

Badly timed buddy. Nothing is done yet.

I think you can expect much of the O''Neill style approaches and results to some extent.

However, unless Lerner pulls out his finger and attends more than the handful of games that he did last season I can see Lambert exiting in the same fashion. In many ways I see it as being a bit strange.

Both clubs currently sit in a very similar position. Norwich have a good squad ready for a few additions to consolidate their league position and push on up the table a little bit. Perhaps a top half finish? It was within touching distance this season - spending most of it only three or four points off Liverpool. Villa have a good core to a team but lack depth and it''s going to take quite a few signings this season to prevent what happened this season from happening again.

In many ways I think Norwich are slightly better poised. I think a lot will come down to what funds will be made available for Lambert in terms of transfer fees. I do find it a bit odd but there you go.

He will go with my blessing if he does, but I sadly don''t hold out much hope for him at Villa. Unrealistic expectations, tight arsed owner and a lack of ambition make it a match made far from heaven.

Been brilliant for us but if i was a Villa fan one or two things would worry me.

1 He signs lower league players, often ones which he has often seen first hand at clubs he''s been at. Perfect for us but will that work for your supposedly sleeping giant club.

2 you better hope his backroom staff go with him, Culverhouse is credited with alot of the tactics and signings

3 We''re the first club he''s had real success at, none  of us really know how much of that is mommentum, we never really got to see if he could turn us around from a real slump of form. Your likely to find out.

4 He''ll ditch you in an instant if one of the real big clubs comes calling. Most of us fans realised this was going to happen this way, personally i expected him to do this at the end of next season.

5 Something must have put off Martinez and Solskjear off, Lamberts track record isnt one of working with lots of youth team players either, he''s brought one or two through but the real success is through his transfers. Better hope you have alot of money to turn a Villa team round that stunk at the end of last season.

Bradders, I think you''re going to be disappointed.   Going to Villa is a very different scenario from the Norwich situation.   For a start you won''t get much out of Lambert.   He only has afew rehearsed comments to make - and you have to listen carefully at that.     Football wise he rotates players and changes formations in a bewildering fashion.   Will the players cope with that?  There was a certain amount of luck involved this season in our results.    Some great results, yes, but some strange, uninspiring ones too.    Talk of players not being that happy with the rotation system.  

I wish Lambert well, long term, but I don''t think Villa will be his heyday.   You have your own problems all ready.  Think Lambert will struggle. 

lets see how Villa fans react to doing their shopping in the Championship and making 6 changes to the team every match?!?!.......It worked at Norwich because we understood the situation, I severlely doubt the Holte End will ?????